Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hosting a Regional
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,289

Hosting a Regional

May 24, 2013, 1:12 PM

This 3 game losing streak and lack of cohones to get a hit when it matters has put the Tigers, in my opinion, out of the top 16 teams that will host.

I think our chances of hosting lies squarely on tonight's game with the Genius Tarholes.

I've been on this team since the beginning and at some point this year, at least one of the starters has had a streak of consistent offensive production. This team is very dangerous and young. I'm stil waiting on us to put it all together.

That being said, Slaton is really struggling and needs to take a game off to reset. I'd like to see Jack insert maybe Gibson in LF and Costigan, Bradley, or Triller in the DH slot. He also needs to move Brittle to 9 (senior at lineup turnover), McGibb to 5, Wilk to 6, and Kennedy to 2.

Go tigers tonight! This is a tough game but a chance to get some mojo back for the post season!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hosting a Regional

May 24, 2013, 1:16 PM

I like your lineup change ideas. I don't think losing to the likes of fsu, ncsu, and unc knock us out of host contention. However if we lose to Miami, that might do it.

null

One thing I've been waiting to see..

May 24, 2013, 1:28 PM

Some passion dangit!! I mean I watch some of these other games and someone comes up with a lead off double and looks to the dugout and basically says "LET'S GO!!" and everyone gets fired up.

I never see that from us. Always seems slightly monotone/shy. That's our problem. Somebody needs to step up tonight, and make sure everyone knows it. Show some passion!!

Go Tigers!!

I'm not convinced Miss St is as stong of a threat

May 24, 2013, 1:44 PM

15-15 in conference and 5-5 in conference series. They've got an inflated RPI because they took 1 game from a high seeded team.

If Miss St gets a host I see them taking away from other SEC or Midwestern host sites and not from us or an eastern site. SC probably has to worry more about MSU than we do, but they should have MSU pretty comfortably behind them in the host perspective.

The committee already has an idea if the ACC is worth 5 regional sites. Of course based on previous times where we've gone head to head, they can and will buy the regional.

Re: I'm not convinced Miss St is as stong of a threat

May 24, 2013, 2:39 PM

Actually if MSU makes it to the SEC title game or wins the tourney, they may be the 8th and final national seed. With the SEC's unbalanced scheduling, they avoided the benefit of playing the 3 worst teams in the SEC this year, Georgia, Missouri, & Tennessee who had a combined 61-93 record. So keep that in mind when looking at their resume.

They played road series (RPI ranking in parentheses) vs. Vanderbilt (2), Kentucky (47), Texas A&M (31), Ole Miss (18), & Arkansas (45). They were 6-9 in those games and 3 losses were by 1 run.

They drew LSU (5), Florida (30), Auburn (36), Alabama (27), & South Carolina (12) for home games & went 10-5 in those games, and 2 losses were in extra innings. In addition, they are 4-0 in neutral site games vs. Ole Miss, Missouri, South Carolina, & Texas A&M & went 23-2 outside of SEC play with nice wins over South Alabama (17), & Austin Peay (28).

With MSU's reputation for large regional crowds, etc., don't be shocked if they get a high seed.

Re: I'm not convinced Miss St is as stong of a threat

May 24, 2013, 3:01 PM [ in reply to I'm not convinced Miss St is as stong of a threat ]

Not to mention MSU has played the most games against the top 50 RPI teams in the country and have a 21-14 record in those games.

From Baseball America

May 24, 2013, 1:58 PM

"In summation, our updated forecast has Arkansas grabbing one of the final two hosting spots, with the final one still up for grabs (between Clemson, Virginia Tech and South Carolina). Clemson can probably secure itself as a host with wins against North Carolina and Miami over the next two days, but if Virginia Tech wins another game while Clemson finishes 1-2 or 0-3 in Durham, we’ll give the Hokies the nod. If Virginia Tech loses to Georgia Tech, while Clemson loses one or both of its remaining two games in pool play, South Carolina could still beat out both of them."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/thursday-roundup-hokies-hogs-continue-to-surge/

VT is the huge wildcard

May 24, 2013, 2:02 PM

And it might depend on what type of bid they put in.

If they bid at all...

May 24, 2013, 2:07 PM

and even if they did, I'm not sure that their facility is really capable of hosting a regional. It only holds 4000 people and I don't know that its press box is adequate. All 16 sites must have TV capability and that could impact VT's chances.

Re: If they bid at all...

May 24, 2013, 2:52 PM

Agree, I don't see VT getting a regional over Clemson, regardless of what happens in this tournament. They may end up being more deserving than us, but that doesn't mean they'll get to host.

I do think that a win tonight would lock up a regional site for Clemson. Lose here and beat Miami and it's a 50/50 chance. Lose both and we aren't hosting.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,289
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic