Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Horrible decision by Dabo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 153
| visibility 1

Horrible decision by Dabo

Aug 5, 2012, 10:26 AM

Really? A college kid smoking marijuana warrants a 2 game suspension? I don't know if anyone told Dabo, but the object of football is to score more points than your opponent, and sitting your best offensive weapon 2 games for an incident that happened months ago isn't really conducive to that at all. If you're #### bent on suspending him, make it just for the ball state game. You think saban's suspending a star player for one of the biggest games of the season? We need to take a lesson from our more successful bretheren in the SEC. Crowell and others fail a drug test, richt suspends them against New Mexico State. Seriously, not rocket science.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

The object of football is to win...

Aug 5, 2012, 10:34 AM

The object of Clemson university is to create young men and women who win in life as well as on the field.

I'm sorry that the purpose of our university overlaps your limited vision of what this is all about.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The object of football is to win...

Aug 5, 2012, 10:36 AM

If sammy would have committed a serious crime, you might have a point. Essentially throwing the book at sammy for doing something that every other college kid in America does is a little excessive.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Saying that every other college kid in America

Aug 5, 2012, 10:39 AM

Smokes marijuana (which is illegal last time I checked) and is in possession of prescription pills (which I haven't heard that he had a prescription for) is "a little excessive" I'd say.

Re: Saying that every other college kid in America

Aug 5, 2012, 10:41 AM

You must not have been near a college campus during exam time in the last 15 years. It's like a free for all for vyvanse or adderrall. Ithelps you stay up later and study more effectively.

I think a lot of people would strongly disagree with you.***

Aug 5, 2012, 10:45 AM

Wrong, graduated 7 years ago....

Aug 5, 2012, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Saying that every other college kid in America ]

Was Adderall widely used? Sure. Did everyone use it or marijuana? Nope.

Face it, Sammy broke not only team rules but actual LAWS. Dabo's actions shouldn't come as a surprise. He sent home an extremely talented player before the biggest game in the last 20 years for Clemson. He's not going to mess around with this stuff. Sammy knows what he did was wrong and has stated it several times.

Re: Wrong, graduated 7 years ago....

Aug 5, 2012, 10:48 AM

I don't disagree with punishing sammy, dabo had to do something. 1 quarter and sprints after practice is plenty.

Bellamy actually missed our two biggest games of the season

Aug 6, 2012, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Wrong, graduated 7 years ago.... ]

for the offense, the ACCCG and the Orange Bowl.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Dear God, please don't let this person have children!^^^***

Aug 5, 2012, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Saying that every other college kid in America ]

Re: Saying that every other college kid in America

Aug 6, 2012, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Saying that every other college kid in America ]

Apparently 'sports' is not the only thing to which you can apply the word 'junkie'.

Dabo made the decision that is best for Sammy and the team and future players. Glad that you are not the coach. What an example you would set.

Two games = potentially 4 percent of his college career

Aug 5, 2012, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: The object of football is to win... ]

I honestly don't find that an excessive penalty for breaking the law. I find it a reasoned discipline for action that will not take place again.

And when Sammy is drafted in the middle of the first round in a couple of years, he'll say the same.

Clemson football is more that you apparently expect of it. That may be a disappointment to you, but to the parents who entrust their sons to us, it's a comfort. To the players here, or who will come here, it sets a clear unmistakable statement. There is nothing unfair, Draconian or cruel about it.

If someone was coming here expecting to be pampered, they were going to be sorely disappointed, and it's better they headed elsewhere if that's what they required of their school and coaching staff.

We are Clemson. We win, and we win in all aspects of life.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two games = potentially 4 percent of his college career

Aug 5, 2012, 11:34 AM

Except on the scoreboard, or in a game of "who has been relevant in the last quarter century."

So, win at all costs, huh?***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:16 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Re: So, win at all costs, huh?***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:30 PM

Not to the penn state extreme, but you have the right idea.

Middle of the first round? I think he's a top ten pick***

Aug 6, 2012, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Two games = potentially 4 percent of his college career ]

"Everybody's doing it" says the Junkie***

Aug 5, 2012, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: The object of football is to win... ]

Re: "Everybody's doing it" says the Junkie***

Aug 5, 2012, 1:14 PM

Everybody's not doing it, just Bama, florida, georgia, oklahoma, texas, southern cal...hold on, i think i have a copy of my preseason top 25s for the last decade around here somewhere...aand no way! Those teams are on them EVERY YEAR!

Sure wish this guy didn't have my dad's picture as his sig

Aug 5, 2012, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: The object of football is to win... ]

the voice would strongly disagree

Re: Sure wish this guy didn't have my dad's picture as his sig

Aug 5, 2012, 4:16 PM

I don't know how to change it...

Re: Sure wish this guy didn't have my dad's picture as his sig

Aug 5, 2012, 4:17 PM

It's just the default one tnet gave me i guess.

interesting***

Aug 5, 2012, 4:19 PM

The default one is a tigerpaw***

Aug 5, 2012, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Sure wish this guy didn't have my dad's picture as his sig ]

Curious...who is your dad? I see it must have been

Aug 6, 2012, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Sure wish this guy didn't have my dad's picture as his sig ]

changed....

Re: The object of football is to win...

Aug 5, 2012, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: The object of football is to win... ]

if that is a true picture of you on your page....you look old enough to have better sense than to say what you did !!!! man, you sound like you been smoking the stuff !!!!!!

Once again...

Aug 5, 2012, 10:49 AM [ in reply to The object of football is to win... ]

The Rev is spot on the mark.

Perhaps!

Aug 5, 2012, 4:57 PM [ in reply to The object of football is to win... ]

Dabo said, it was his decision on Watkin's discpline.Therefore if the fans disagreed, they needed to get a coaching job...was he talking about his?

LOL

There is no doubt in my mind

Aug 6, 2012, 2:10 AM [ in reply to The object of football is to win... ]

Playing this game on this level will make a man. It will also break a child. I think our Coach knows what he needs to do to bring out every umph! he can from our young men.
When kids graduate from Clemson. I much prefer them to be men of upstanding. Football follows!
Men that play Clemson Tiger football and go into the world as fine examples.......THAT my friends is the end game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no game bigger

Aug 5, 2012, 10:36 AM

Than life itself......

Message was edited by: bengalbabe®

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is no game bigger

Aug 5, 2012, 10:47 AM

He wasn't just caught smoking it..he was arrested. How do you think the gamecocks got such a reputation for letting their players get away with murder? You have to know that if Dabo let him off with no punishment that it would send a message to everyone that they can do what they want and get away with it. And btw..the last time i checked, Dabo is way ahead of any of those "mighty" sec coaches when it comes to morals and how to do it right.

Aug 5, 2012, 10:51 AM

I agree that some punishment had to be handed down, but suspending him 1 quarter against auburn, or heck, for the entire ball state game, would suffice. No reason to hamstring our whole offense in a major game on national tv. If you'll remember, the last time the nation saw us playing football on TV, it didn't turn out so well.

If the loss of one player

Aug 5, 2012, 10:53 AM

no matter how talented, hamstrings our entire offense, then we have much bigger issues to worry about.

We struggled last year in the game Sammy missed and in the games following because of his injuries. I'd like to think that our coaching staff has addressed this problem in the offseason. We have a strong WR corps without Sammy. With him, we have maybe the best in the nation.

Re: If the loss of one player

Aug 5, 2012, 10:56 AM

Why even risk it? Just sit him against ball state. We don't have a chance of losing that game. We have a chance to do something special this year, and i see no reason to potentially throw it all away because sammy made 1 mistake months ago.

lol.....

Aug 5, 2012, 10:58 AM

....guessing your parents were the type where you got to pick your own punishments as a kid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: lol.....

Aug 5, 2012, 11:02 AM

No, but they also wouldn't make me go break of a switch for accidentally spilling milk on the floor. They knew that punishments are more effective when kept in perspective with the severity of the offense committed.

Spilling milk on the floor: Legal in all 50 states

Aug 5, 2012, 11:03 AM

Possession of marijuana: Not legal in SC.

Re: Spilling milk on the floor: Legal in all 50 states

Aug 5, 2012, 11:06 AM

In most states, possession of marijuana is equivalent to a traffic ticket. So yeah, 1 quarter suspension is plenty.

Re: If the loss of one player

Aug 6, 2012, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: If the loss of one player ]

Then you give Sammy and the rest of the team the same message that USCjr. gives their ball players. We are better than that.

Bingo!***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:03 AM [ in reply to If the loss of one player ]

you don't skip games for suspensions that is just stupid and

Aug 5, 2012, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: There is no game bigger ]

Makes you look like you don't really care about the person just winning.

Re: you don't skip games for suspensions that is just stupid and

Aug 5, 2012, 12:15 PM

God forbid we care about winning. Heaven help us if we try to be more than vandy and northwestern.

Thank God you are not the coach of these guys!***

Aug 5, 2012, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: There is no game bigger ]

Aug 6, 2012, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: There is no game bigger ]

If playing Sammy in your opinion is the only way we can beat Auburn, it shows you have no respect for the rest of the team. Last time I checked, it took 11 on the field at one time. You are an example of what is wrong with college football today!

Re: Horrible decision by Dabo

Aug 5, 2012, 10:46 AM

Georgia CB Brandon Smith was arrested for marijuana possession in March and no suspension at all. Not sure why our coach has to suspend Watkins.

So we should let the actions of the staffs from other

Aug 5, 2012, 10:48 AM

schools dictate the consequences at Clemson?

Re: So we should let the actions of the staffs from other

Aug 5, 2012, 10:57 AM

Yes. Kind of like determinig market value for punishments. And we should tend to sway toward the sec end of the punishment spectrum.

Why?***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:01 AM

Re: Why?***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:03 AM

Becase they've pretty much won every NC this decade. So they must have something figured out.

Riiiight....and player discipline is one of those things....***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:05 AM

Re: Riiiight....and player discipline is one of those things....***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:09 AM

I'm betting you'd take off your moral policeman's badge if we were racking up NCs like Saban. Winning tends to turn a lot of heads the other way.

Funny....I was just looking around for that badge....

Aug 5, 2012, 11:12 AM

And couldn't find it anywhere.

Face it, Sammy BROKE A LAW. He had the opportunity NOT to do so. Once he did, he put his fate in the hands of someone else. It's no one's fault but his own, and he understands that seemingly better than most.

Re: Funny....I was just looking around for that badge....

Aug 5, 2012, 11:31 AM

Once again, i'm not saying he shouldn't be punished, but suspending him for the entirety of a key game is over the top.

This is like trying to argue with my crazy Liberal

Aug 5, 2012, 12:04 PM

Mother in Law. I really think some of you people have some kind of mental block that does not allow you to see common sense or even have any kind if family values at all.

Re: This is like trying to argue with my crazy Liberal

Aug 5, 2012, 12:08 PM

It's all about $. Bottom line. Anyone who tells you any differently is trying to sell you something.

Nope! I own a very successful Business and it's all about

Aug 5, 2012, 12:13 PM

PEOPLE! Hire, Train , Lead and Grow Great People and all the wins,Money and success will follow. THis is what Dabo is trying to do.

You are the nut job not Rick Santorum.

Re: Nope! I own a very successful Business and it's all about

Aug 5, 2012, 12:18 PM

As daniel tosh said, "these are not my opinions, just my observations on the world around me. When it changes, i'll update the material accordingly."

Are you quoting a Comedian? Wow***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:21 PM

Regardless of who said it

Aug 5, 2012, 12:32 PM

Doesn't make it any less true.

That has to be the worst reason to follow their

Aug 5, 2012, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Why?*** ]

precedent when it comes to discipline. When disciplining a player, winning/losing games should not even be a consideration. They have nothing to do with each other.

I agree that he could have done a lot less and it would have still been sufficient as punishment, but in a world where winning football games is more important to people than the well-being of young men (ie: Penn State), Dabo Swinney made a statement. I think the punishment was a little harsh, but it made me proud to be a tiger to see us take a stand against the status quo. People will respect us more because of this.

Re: That has to be the worst reason to follow their

Aug 5, 2012, 11:10 AM

Covering up 2 decades of child rape =\= smoking weed in college.

Not at all what I was saying. But the same reason

Aug 5, 2012, 11:13 AM

that the Penn State matter was covered up is the same reason that top players get 4, or 5 chances before getting kicked off teams; the same reason that top players get suspended from PRACTICE and they consider it punishment...; the same reason that a 4th string linemen will often receive a lighter punishment than a starting QB...

Dabo said, "not here."

Re: Not at all what I was saying. But the same reason

Aug 5, 2012, 11:19 AM

It's like what Calipari says when they ask him about recruiting one and done players. He doesn't make the rules, he might not agree with them, but they are the rules, and he will use them to his advantage to win. Like or not, successful college football teams more or less have unwritten rules about player discipline. Some players are players you can afford to punish more harshly to make an example, because they are on the scout team and will never see the field. It's the ugly truth in a college football world where recruiting trips now include yachts and hookers. College football is a business, and a shady one, and the sooner we treat it as such, the sooner we'll be hoisting another NC flag above the West Zone.

so what I hear you saying is...

Aug 5, 2012, 11:34 AM

when other people are doing things the wrong (you used the word, "shady") way and it is helping them succeed, then we should do things the wrong way too.

Is this a "life's a dirty game, you gotta' play dirty to win it" thing?

Or a "if you're cheating, you're not trying" thing?

If these are your philosophies, seriously, please go find another program to pull for. I would rather lose with dignity than to win in disgrace.

correction "if you're NOT cheating..." you knew what I meant***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:35 AM

Re: so what I hear you saying is...

Aug 5, 2012, 11:36 AM [ in reply to so what I hear you saying is... ]

Are you familiar with the saying "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em?" because for the last 25 years, we haven't really been beatin em.

EXACTLY! you ARE one of those people.

Aug 5, 2012, 11:40 AM

That "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" is WRONG. It is absolutely wrong! You do not lower your standards to get ahead.

You have just answered my previous questions loudly and affirmatively, and have revealed to the rest of the board your lack of a moral compass... which already seemed fairly evident from your other posts.

Re: EXACTLY! you ARE one of those people.

Aug 5, 2012, 11:45 AM

Oh no, please tell me tigernet isn't going to think i have wandered down the path of moral iniquity, gosh, i don't know how i'm going to get thru the day. Way to make your pledge to complacency.

Please take that mans face of your profile. And pull for the

Aug 5, 2012, 12:06 PM

#####. We don't need you as a Tiger Fan.

Re: Please take that mans face of your profile. And pull for the

Aug 5, 2012, 12:10 PM

Wow, can't handle a little differing of opinion? Are you sick of eating chick fil a yet?

Way to make assumptions about people you don't know.***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:12 PM

HA Nope, show your true colors Pal!***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Please take that mans face of your profile. And pull for the ]

was talking to Junkie. I'm on your side, dude!***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:17 PM

I was too, I know u are.***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:25 PM

And the SEC has a reputation for being the dirtiest

Aug 6, 2012, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Why?*** ]

conference in the nation with coaches with no moral or ethical values.

Dabo did the right thing for Clemson, Sammy, and the team for long-term benefits!

Get over it and move on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Re: And the SEC has a reputation for being the dirtiest

Aug 6, 2012, 1:41 PM

And yet it's been the B1G (considered by most to be conference-wise the proverbial "white knights" of the NCAA) not the SEC, who has had the most teams battling controversy this offseason. Everyone does it, wr might as well too. It's all about the bottom line.

The object of being a good coach

Aug 5, 2012, 11:10 AM

is being a model of consistency. That includes discipline.

Turning a blind eye to misbehavior, because a player stands to help your team win, is not a reliable model of consistency.

In fact, that would be a model of hypocrisy. Much like UGAy and Sakerlina and the pathetic old ballsac.

If that's what you are looking for, maybe you're pulling for the wrong program.

Re: The object of being a good coach

Aug 5, 2012, 11:13 AM

Pretty sure spurrier has been pretty consistent with his lack of discipline.

^^^This guy gets it!^^^ point.***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:14 AM [ in reply to The object of being a good coach ]

Re: WTH ?

Aug 5, 2012, 11:14 AM

You seriously posted this ?

... maybe become not just a Clemson sports junkie but a life junkie.

It's about life, not football at any and all costs.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2012, 11:21 AM

Most every other major program thinks it's about football at all costs. The sooner weadjust our mentality accordingly, the sooner every season quits ending in disappointing fashion.

Aug 6, 2012, 12:23 PM

Yeah, Penn State thought that way. How'd it work out for them?

Aug 6, 2012, 12:32 PM

Alabama thinks that way, and it's worked swimmingly for them.

Aug 6, 2012, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: WTH ? ]

Btw, whenever it comes out that we've been covering up decades of sammy ###### children, then and only then will the penn state comparison be valid.

sports'junki'

Aug 5, 2012, 11:31 AM

Thank God we don't have some sportsjunkie running our program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: sports'junki'

Aug 5, 2012, 11:32 AM

Yeah, then we might mess around and not get beat by 70 on national tv.

Are you one of those people that seriously gets

Aug 5, 2012, 11:38 AM

depressed after a loss? I am about as competitive as it comes. When I compete, I go all in, but when the game is over, I have the maturity to keep all things in perspective. I make sure that losing affects my attitude, my moods, as little as possible.

There are so many more things in life more important than winning football games. You should look into it.

Re: Are you one of those people that seriously gets

Aug 5, 2012, 11:41 AM

No, but i'm one of those who wants to see success forthe product i'm pumping my hard earned dollars into.

I bet Jim Phillips would disagree with you !***

Aug 5, 2012, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Compare these two quotes:

Aug 5, 2012, 11:44 AM

“The game of football, or a game of football will never be more important to me than teaching young people important life lessons." - Dabo Swinney

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." -sportsjunkie

Which one would you rather use to teach your kids?

Re: Compare these two quotes:

Aug 5, 2012, 11:50 AM

It really depends. If you want your kids to be teachers, coaches, preachers, or counselors, then#1 is probably best. If you want your kids to be lawyers, bankers, or wall street tycoons, #2 is better. Not saying there's anything wrong withthe professions listed in example 1, but different situations call for different mentalities. Based on what i've seen recently from the college football world in general, i'd say its beliefs are more in line with category #2.

Aug 5, 2012, 11:53 AM

Luckily, Clemson CAN beat them, so we don't have to join them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2012, 12:04 PM

The only thing we've done in the last 25 years relevant to the national football scene is get curb stomped on national tv by wvu.

Amen brother Memphis! Preach it!***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Compare these two quotes: ]

Well, I'm a lawyer, and I consider myself a pretty

Aug 5, 2012, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Compare these two quotes: ]

successful one at that. I have never one time, in my career, bent the rules or lowered my standards in order to achieve a particular result. And friend, I am doing just fine!

Re: Well, I'm a lawyer, and I consider myself a pretty

Aug 5, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'm happy for you.

Thank you, and please know that the most successful of my

Aug 5, 2012, 12:17 PM

colleagues are those who do not cheat, or bend the rules. They are successful because those in our profession who deal with them on a daily basis, know this about them. They are trustworthy and reliable.

Sure there are a few out there who are unethical and successful. But most of us know who they are, and whatever success they achieve comes at a very high cost to their reputation, and often leads to the demise of their careers. More often, those that cheat end up losing more than they win.

Re: Thank you, and please know that the most successful of my

Aug 5, 2012, 12:21 PM

I guess the counterpoint to this argument would be the entire city of Miami.

Your scar crowd really is a different sort.***

Aug 6, 2012, 6:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Well, I'm a lawyer, and I consider myself a pretty ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Dood, you act like Dabo raped a nun.

Aug 5, 2012, 11:43 AM

It's not like he didn't use a condom or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dood, you act like Dabo raped a nun.

Aug 5, 2012, 12:05 PM

"you goofball, men can't rape other men." - j. Paterno.

I'm really sorry...

Aug 5, 2012, 12:30 PM

for coming at you so hard this morning. We just don't see eye to eye on this.

My hope is that the chastisement Dabo has bestowed on Sammy will let Sammy know how much more Dabo cares about Sammy than football.

I remember my dad telling me it hurt him worse than it hurt me. I didn't understand that until I had children. I have seven. They are all, except one * , productive, upstanding, tax paying citizens. From Sammy's statements I suspect he appreciates Dabo's position on this issue and know that Dabo's motivation and goal were not to please anyone but just to do the right thing. Hard times bring hard decisions. You got kids?

*I'm still working with that one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 5, 2012, 11:48 AM

Y'all trip me out. The worst fans are the ones that think they know best for the players. Y'all are not coaching, and do not know these kids like Dabo. He. Made a decision and stuck to it. I back him in anything he does, he is after all our head coach. Even Sammy understands the punishment is fair, and it shows that Clemson has class and is not playing around with getting in trouble.

Do you realize that Sammy..

Aug 5, 2012, 11:50 AM

was in possession of a Schedule I drug and 2 Schedule II drugs, which is a crime. He is very luck to be able to get into PTI and not face jail time. He is very lucky to have a coach that cares more about him as a person and growing young man than 1 football game. What are you going to say when we beat Auburn with our other outstanding WR's?

As far as "all" students do this does not make it OK for any of them to do this. It only means they did not get caught. I suppose you agree with all of SOS's punishment

Pretty sure that Dabo knows the object of football is to score more points. Dabo is not Saban or any other coach. Failed drug tests are not the same as possession of Scheduled drugs. The day Clemson takes lessons from SEC schools, (ya know the ones that have no disipline) we have a problem. Tell me what a kid has learned for being suspended against New Mexico State.

Please do not have kids. With your attitude everything they do wrong will be someone else's fault and you will eventually be spending your weekends visiting them instead of enjoying a Clemson football game.

Here is one of your crazy posts:

Re: If your Dabo do you go ALL IN?
Posted: Jul 6, 2012 1:30 PM Reply

Athetes are bigger than the university. If not for the athletes, how many people in the US would have heard of Clemson University?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12435270

and another: Re: Sick of this argument. It holds no merit. [1]
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 11:42 AM Reply

If the students and alumni are honestly complaining about how this affects them, it just shows how selfish, delusional, and out of touch they actually are.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12503553

Re: Do you realize that Sammy..

Aug 5, 2012, 12:01 PM

1. If you go to jail for first time simple possession, it is very likely that you have never heard of the term "lawyer" before.
2. My statement that most college kids use it was not meant to be a statement in support of drugs, it was merely to express what i believe to be the trivial nature of sammy's offense.
3. I assume you were trying to make a point with "tell me what a kid learns from being suspended against New mexico state" but i couldn't for the life of me tell you what it was.
4, do u really think anyone outside of the sotheast would have heard of clemson if not for our football team?
5. What dies child rape at psu (the context of quote #2) have to do with anything?

Is that you Coach Spurrier?***

Aug 5, 2012, 12:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 5, 2012, 12:11 PM

I personally agree with Dabo, this is training young men for LIFE as well as football. This message should go out loud and clear that no matter how valuable you are to this football team there are consequences for misbehavior, not only from punishment to yourself, but letting your teammates down, maybe an even greater punishment. We are the real team in South Carolina in sports, and in what we demand from our young men, unlike our neighbor to the south that allows this kind of thing to continue without even a slap on the wrist.

So if it had been some 3rd string guy would your opinion be

Aug 5, 2012, 12:13 PM

Same? I suspect you will never admit it but you are essentially wanting Dabo to have a double standard for starters vice everyone else. Personally I didn't really expect to see a 2 game suspension but I have no problem with it. Dabo is making a clear statement that no player is more important than the team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So if it had been some 3rd string guy would your opinion be

Aug 5, 2012, 12:28 PM

No, i will openly admit it. I have no problem with dabo punishing a 3rd teamer more harshly than a star. If you want a life lesson, there you go. People that society deems important will almost always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to reprimand. See: ok simpson, lindsay lohan, michael jackson, r kelly, martha stewart, etc

Just because it is reality, doesn't make it right.

Aug 5, 2012, 2:41 PM

Just because we once condoned slavery, doesn't mean we were wrong for changing! Good grief! There is a lot that is wrong with the world that needs to change. Your attitude just accepts the fact that we still don't treat all men equally - something that needs to be changed, not just accepted.

Re: Just because it is reality, doesn't make it right.

Aug 5, 2012, 4:10 PM

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that those folks that know the ins and outs of society's rules and expectations and leverage them into the most advantageous position possible for themselves are usually the most successful.

I don't mean to be contentious about this but I disagree.

Aug 5, 2012, 12:40 PM [ in reply to So if it had been some 3rd string guy would your opinion be ]

I think Dabo is coming down hard on Sammy out of love. I think the guy actually loves these boys and is acting like a loving father with a 'thundering, gentle,' hand.

Re: I don't mean to be contentious about this but I disagree.

Aug 5, 2012, 12:45 PM

I'm not disagreeing. Sammy broke the rules, and deserved to be punished. The only thing i'm taking issue with is the severity and timing of said punishment.

Looks like you have PLENTY of..........

Aug 5, 2012, 12:14 PM

responses, but..in your defense and post, I would bet
money, half the team smokes pot..or plates,or what ever.

Whether or not other kids smoke weed is completely

Aug 5, 2012, 12:54 PM

irrelevant to this situation.

Do you want us to be like S.Carolina in that we flush all

Aug 5, 2012, 12:39 PM

standards down the toilet?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you want us to be like S.Carolina in that we flush all

Aug 5, 2012, 12:43 PM

Not all standards. Im still not okay with child rape coverup. I think most sec teams have produced a winning formula in terms of standards they enforce versus standards to which they turn a blund eye.

Wrong. Great leadership. It matters none what the win-at-all

Aug 5, 2012, 12:45 PM

-costs coaches would do.

Aug 5, 2012, 1:28 PM

you are an idiot

Aug 5, 2012, 1:38 PM

I totally disagree with you. You must be a youngster, as your values bar is low. Dabo's decision has given a very loud message to the rest of the team and also all recruits.
It really sounds like you are the type person that would allow a schools athletic dept. run the school. That 's not the way Clemson is run my friend, and that is why Clemson and its values are attracting top notch recruits. If you feel you are right, then Clemson will begin losing 2013 recruits starting today. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, because Dabo only recruits players with character.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CLEMSAM

Aug 5, 2012, 1:49 PM

I'm not saying that sammy shouldn't be punished, but by all accounts he has done everything right this offseason, he took responsibility for his actions, and handled the incident like a pro overall. Why not suspend him for a quarter or 2. Suspending him for the entire Auburn game is punishing the whole team. You don't the Nuk and the other guys appreciate Sammy being on the field to command a double team? If you need proof, watch last year's North Carolina game.

Here is a new question for you,

Aug 5, 2012, 2:45 PM

if we ever reached a point in the future, where the only way to win in college football was to cover up all crimes(knowing that you'd never get caught), and that the only teams that could possibly win championships were those that completely stopped enforcing any rules against players, would you be in favor of following in suit, even if it meant we never won again?

Re: Here is a new question for you,

Aug 5, 2012, 4:54 PM

Basically, would i be ok with penn state it clemson? No. But again, scandal on that level is much different than a 1st time weed offender

Then why fire Bowden?

Aug 6, 2012, 3:47 AM

Bowden had a high graduation rate and produced fine young men yada yada yada. So why was he fired if Bowden was meeting the school's objectives?

How did that work out for Crowell?***

Aug 6, 2012, 5:38 AM

Aug 6, 2012, 9:37 AM

Maybe Dabo should keep a bong going on the field and give anyone a toke after they score...which is the only object apparently.

Aug 6, 2012, 9:39 AM

Maybe you should dig a little deeper into your bag o' jokes and give it another try there champ.

Aug 6, 2012, 9:50 AM

Yes there are plenty of people that have the same distorted vision as you do. The Gamecock Club is accepting new members.

Aug 6, 2012, 10:08 AM

^ this is the guy lives in perpetual blissful ignorance. He still maintains the nostalgic vision of college football of yesteryear, that kids sign up to play college football to win one for the home team and take their favorite gal to the drive in for sodas after the big game.

Aug 6, 2012, 10:16 AM

You have proved the old saying "You can't fix stupid". You are a disgrace to Clemson

Aug 6, 2012, 10:18 AM

You're the one getting butthurt because someone has a different opinion than you.

I know you didn't say that....smh***

Aug 6, 2012, 10:30 AM

what will you say after we beat Auburn?

Aug 6, 2012, 10:35 AM

will you still be upset? this punishment is more about the future of this program than it is the present, so luckily Dabo has a little more foresight than you.

Re: what will you say after we beat Auburn?

Aug 6, 2012, 11:10 AM

I generally like dabo as a coach and have always liked him as a person, and i pull for clemson so i'm not sure y i would be happy if we lost? Apparently on TNet, if you're not a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou windbag, it means u hate clemson. Good to know.

oh no, you fit right in, there are plenty of ways to be

Aug 6, 2012, 11:17 AM

a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou windbag including your op.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: oh no, you fit right in, there are plenty of ways to be

Aug 6, 2012, 11:20 AM

^heck of an attempt..

if it just about winning, it is a professional team.

Aug 6, 2012, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: what will you say after we beat Auburn? ]

CU is not a pro team. sounds like your argument favors pro sports

Re: if it just about winning, it is a professional team.

Aug 6, 2012, 11:30 AM

College football isn't a business?

it is bigger than business and profits-***

Aug 6, 2012, 11:43 AM

Re: it is bigger than business and profits-***

Aug 6, 2012, 11:55 AM

Tell that to the $14 billion that CBS paid the NCAA for rights to the mens bball tourney. That's right, billion. With a b.

Re: it is bigger than business and profits-***

Aug 6, 2012, 11:56 AM

Correction: 11 billion

regardless of amount, integrity, discipline and the

Aug 6, 2012, 1:32 PM

collegiate institution is higher than the game. therefore, it is bigger than business and profits

Re: regardless of amount, integrity, discipline and the

Aug 6, 2012, 1:47 PM

How can you say that when programs all over the nation (southern cal, osu, psu, miami to name a few) have essentially sold their souls for football? And these are just the instances that we know about. At best, the general "aw shucks" image of college football has been blasted into smithereens.

easy-Clemson is not like those schools and at least for

Aug 6, 2012, 3:50 PM

now, they care about integrity. CU has not sold its soul and recognizes it is an academic institution with a football program, not the other way around

Re: easy-Clemson is not like those schools and at least for

Aug 6, 2012, 5:13 PM

How well is that working out for vandy and duke? It's tough to try and be Yale sunday thru friday and bama on saturday.

as far as Clemson is concerned, i think my point is valid

Aug 6, 2012, 5:20 PM

dont really care about other schools. dont care about USC, bama, Penn St, Miami, Duke or Vandy which are your examples.

Re: as far as Clemson is concerned, i think my point is valid

Aug 6, 2012, 5:30 PM

2 nc's in 3 years...how does the billy currington song go?..."must be doin somethin' riiight."

well, back to Clemson...

Aug 6, 2012, 5:36 PM

from the comments on the board, you struck a nerve and it seems most believe Dabo's punishment is proper, our team is doing well (have not lost a game so far)and our academics are high and alumni respect the institution. not bad...

Re: well, back to Clemson...

Aug 6, 2012, 8:19 PM

Well there's no denying the patience of our alumni base, as evidenced by the two decades of mediocrity we just endured.

That line of thinking sure worked wonders for Crowell and

Aug 6, 2012, 5:21 PM

the UGA team, didn't it? Brilliant decision making on Richt's part. On the bright side, this attitude will catch up with Spurrier's team as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2012, 5:27 PM

More like horrible decision by Crump to allow you an account

Aug 6, 2012, 6:22 PM

^butthurt

I hope you are just trying to spin up the TNETers.

Aug 6, 2012, 5:47 PM

You can't really think that he didn't deserve a suspension. The NFL gives 4 games for first time offenders. He definitely got off light with the 2 game punishment.

Re: I hope you are just trying to spin up the TNETers.

Aug 6, 2012, 6:24 PM

The first half of the auburn game is plenty of suspension imo. No reason to punish the rest of the team by keeping arguably its best player off the field.

Aug 6, 2012, 11:23 PM

Just be glad that football standards are so low. If he was a baseball player at Clemson or SC he'd probably be gone.

Replies: 153
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic