Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brad Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Brad Brownell

Sep 17, 2018, 9:56 AM

One thing that I have disliked in the past is that he never seemed willing to pursue blue chip talent.

This seems to have changed recently. Last year we lost a highly rated player to Duke, but we had a real shot and him coming to play here. This year, Brownell is in on the recruiting of Josiah James and the young man from Columbia whose last name is Brown (can't remember his first name). They both seem to be strongly considering the Tigers.

I am a season ticket holder and have/will continue supporting the Tigers no matter what, but it is very refreshing for me seeing our coach trying to bring in elite talent. In the past I would hear the argument from some fans that "well we'll never get player X, so why bother recruiting him. I' much rather see our coach trying to recruit the best and fail, than not try at all.

Anyways, kudos to the staff for continuing to build on the basketball program that they are building here at Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks good for 5 star Josiah James coming, and he is the

Sep 17, 2018, 9:58 AM

real deal, a game changer!

I agree, but I thought the same thing with the player, Zion,

Sep 17, 2018, 9:59 AM

that went to Duke last year. I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but that would be so awesome.

Christian Brown, SF from Lower Richland.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:58 AM

Both him and James will be instant impact guys day 1.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's him, thanks.***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:59 AM

Re: Brad Brownell

Sep 17, 2018, 10:08 AM

I dont think he was unwilling as much as we couldnt get their attention and he would then move elsewhere as a fall back. I think now that we are getting their attention we have a real shot at getting some of these guys. I'd love to out recruit NC and Duke routinely but we have to pick our spots to get top guys. This just shows what a little success can do for us

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"little success" and renovated facilities plus support from

Sep 17, 2018, 10:12 AM

Dabo! I hear coach using more Daboisms every year!

Dabo is great, but he doesn't get credit for our

Sep 17, 2018, 12:17 PM

basketball success. Acting like Dabo taught Brownell recruiting strategies or public speaking skills is an insult to Brad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

it is lazy and stupid***

Sep 17, 2018, 12:21 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 10:17 AM

Unwilling to pursue top talent? Kind of hard when you have literally nothing to offer. Little history, terrible facilities and limited commitment from the administration. Now he has the commitment and facilities and recruiting magically did a 180. This is not a coincidence...

Sep 17, 2018, 10:38 AM

You are absolutely correct.

"Cancelled visit to Duke... favored to pick Clemson now..."

Sep 17, 2018, 10:22 AM

Five-star 2019 Charleston, S.C. combo guard Josiah James is set to make a Wednesday commitment announcement, after a visit to Clemson over the weekend.
That announcement will be at 10:30 a.m. ET at his high school, Porter-Gaud.

James (6-6 198) also visited Tennessee recently and canceled a visit to Duke previously scheduled for later this month.

The state's top-rated prospect is favored to pick Clemson now by the 247Sports' Crystal Ball.

Re: "Cancelled visit to Duke... favored to pick Clemson now..."

Sep 17, 2018, 11:21 AM

What would really help is greater student attendance and spirit at the games! A la Duke!

I think he knew he didn't have much of a shot at those guys

Sep 17, 2018, 11:33 AM

prior to getting the facilities upgrade, and chose to focus on the best guys he could get. Even with our football tradition, Dabo (and even Tommy Bowden) understood that facilities were critical to competing at a higher level. Plus, I don't think Brownell, to his credit, was willing to operate in that "gray area" of recruiting alongside the likes of Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, etc. where rules and ethics went right out the window.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Hoping Josiah James picks us!!! That would be HUGE!***

Sep 17, 2018, 11:52 AM

He has always gone after those guys.

Sep 17, 2018, 12:05 PM

The problem was that our administration was not serious enough about basketball. They didn't give Brownell the facilities he needed, nor did they provide the budget for him to hire the support staff he requested. Recruits would come to Clemson and see poor facilities and an apparently poor commitment by the school to basketball. That, combined with our pathetic basketball history, and top recruits weren't even considering us.

It was easy to say that Brownell didn't go after those top guys, or wasn't a good enough recruiter to get them, but that simply wasn't the case. He just needed solid facilities to put us closer to a level playing field (which we still aren't, when talking about upper echelon teams, but at least we are now respectable in the ACC in terms of facilities).

I'm proud of our coach for running our program with class and integrity. It's so great to see those efforts start to pay off with recruiting and on-court success. He really is a very good coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We didn't even have a full size practice court until the

Sep 17, 2018, 12:13 PM

last renovation...Think about that

Re: He has always gone after those guys.

Sep 17, 2018, 12:15 PM [ in reply to He has always gone after those guys. ]

People under estimate how hard this basketball job is/was. BB probably underestimated it when he took the job. and i agree that improved facilities/support have helped. the hiring of marty simmons is an example. its from the Dabo model: a veteran, experienced set of eyes and ideas. think BB's staff has been upgraded. Not a knock at past coaches, but the current group seems to "fit" what BB wants to do.

but i think the key was the decision to recruit the transfers. Not sure whose idea that was initially, but it improved our talent base tremendously. and when the on campus talent improved.. the record improved.. and our ability to recruit better high school players improved.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, that was a brilliant move

Sep 17, 2018, 12:16 PM

and is certainly a big reason why we have seen more success on the court.

It's hard to sign 5 stars with a 2 star History and 1 star

Sep 17, 2018, 12:11 PM

facilities...The Man has the tools now, give him time

Do Good, And Good Players Want To Play For You

Sep 17, 2018, 12:18 PM

Also, good players can come to Clemson and play right away. Its not your going to ride the pine because you have five five-starts ahead of you. I think its best get a bunch of 3 stars who play well as team vs a bunch of five star "one and dones". Difference in talent at the different "Star" ratings is debatable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have been getting some four star guys

Sep 17, 2018, 12:19 PM

for the last few recruiting cycles, and it appears that we are now starting to get some five star guys as well. Barnes and Purnell had some good recruiting classes, but this 2019 class of Brownell's appears to be superior to any classes those guys had. Incredible!

Josiah will be a tiger

Sep 17, 2018, 12:19 PM

This kid is as good off the court as he is on the court. A true student athlete. Humble, hardest worker on his team and comes from a great family. This is a great pick up by Brownell and staff.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic