Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hope Clemson builds this when indoor facility is complete...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Hope Clemson builds this when indoor facility is complete...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:14 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8223861/alabama-crimson-tide-build-9m-athletic-training-facility

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama will build a $9 million, two-story training facility for athletes.

University system trustees on Wednesday approved construction of the 34,495-square-foot building between the indoor practice facility and athletic complex. It's expected to be completed by January.

The facility will include a weight room, rehabilitation and cardio area, strength coaches' offices and a nutrition bar and juice room.

It will connect to the indoor facility and athletic building through a connecting corridor.

The university said the Crimson Tide Foundation will pay for $965,317 of the project with the remaining $8.1 million funded by future revenue bonds.

Alabama received a waiver on the bidding process and awarded the nearly $600,000 contract to Birmingham firm Davis Architects. The company oversaw the expansion of both end zones at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

These kinds of amenities are what it takes nowadays to stay ahead of the curve in recruiting.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hope Clemson builds this when indoor facility is complete...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 AM

What in the heck is a "juice" room? I knew 'bammers were an odd bunch but seriously...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Must have thought it would be too much alliteration if they

Aug 2, 2012, 11:21 AM

called it the " 'Roid Room".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly what I was thinking lol***

Aug 2, 2012, 11:44 AM

Clemson has a juice room, or at least a juice section

Aug 2, 2012, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Hope Clemson builds this when indoor facility is complete... ]

Recovery and energy drinks.

Aug 2, 2012, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Hope Clemson builds this when indoor facility is complete... ]

Thats where the roids are injected duh!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 AM

We just did. What do you think is in the West Endzone?

null

If Clemson builds another weight room...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:19 AM

it needs to be for the baseball team. The football team just got all that stuff in the West endzone. It's time to give some other sports their turn, football has received WAY too much priority recently. Actually, as I've been saying for a long time, Clemson should have included a weight room, team and position meeting rooms, coaches' offices and a computer lab in the indoor practice facility so that all the everyday functions of the football team would be in one place and it wouldn't be necessary to drive the football team to practice. Guess it's too much to ask to expect them to walk across the street.

As soon as baseball brings in more money than football...***

Aug 2, 2012, 11:27 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Baseball has been largely ignored...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM

recently so that football can have its excessive advantages. Baseball's facilities are so far behind other schools in the region that it isn't even funny. Some of you complain that other schools have "passed" Clemson in baseball, well, they've certainly out-spent Clemson. How about let's boost baseball and basketball especially so that they can generate more of their own money and not be beholden to football. I guess some of you want to keep other sports begging at football's trough to get the leftovers. That really isn't much of a way to run a program. Every sport is important, but it certainly doesn't look that way at Clemson. The biggest need is soccer, which is even further behind than baseball.

Again, BBF, I agree that other programs need to be taken

Aug 2, 2012, 11:38 AM

care of, but your perspective is just way off.

"How about let's boost baseball and basketball especially so that they can generate more of their own money and not be beholden to football."

It cannot be done. Impossible. If you invested a billion dollars into baseball, gold-plated the stadium and gave each player their own personal tutor and massage therapist, the baseball team could not bring in the profit levels that the football team does.

Let's not act like baseball and basketball has been ignored. Look at DKS a decade ago and today. It's absurd the difference. Same with Littlejohn. Significant investment has been made in both. Could more be done? Probably, but they haven't been ignored.

null

I wish you'd learn to read...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:47 AM

I didn't say that those sports would generate the revenue that football does. I suggested Clemson support baseball and basketball so that they could support THEMSELVES and not be begging for football's leftovers. I don't care how Doug Kingsmore looked a decade ago. It's still WAY behind other schools in the region. With the lack of tradition in basketball at Clemson, it's even MORE important to invest in facilities because there's little history of success to sell to recruits. Clemson built the permanent stands at Riggs Field in 1987. In the last 25 years, 3 things have been done to it to improve it: 1) replace the press box, 2) renovate the locker rooms, 3) replace the scoreboard (and that was a hand-me-down from football). And, by the way, there was no women's soccer program when the permanent stands at Riggs were built.

Never! I'll never learn to read!

Aug 2, 2012, 12:01 PM

Well, more importantly, I don't want to get into a piddly semantics argument with you.

Baseball hasn't been largely ignored.

Soccer renovations are on the board.

I agree that it would be nice if more was done. I have written many posts on the topic. I believe we should be investing in the soccer program because it is the most successful program at Clemson and investments in our facilities will benefit TWO programs (men's and women's soccer).

Your disappointment that Clemson invests so heavily in football, to the detriment of investing in your favorite sport, is understandable. Your bitter attitude that it is some great injustice seems based somewhere other than reality.

null

I don't care what's "on the board"...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:10 PM

I want to see results. The baseball facilities have been "on the board" for about 3 years and nothing has happened. What has Clemson built for the baseball players since the 2002-03 renovation? Name me something. OK, they built the "back field" and replaced metal lockers with wooden ones. Who cares?

Re: I don't care what's "on the board"...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:33 PM

Nothing has happened a DKS?

really....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

What in those pictures...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:38 PM

would qualify as "player facilities"? What has Clemson done since 2002-03 to enhance the facilities that are geared to the players? Look at the link to Virginia's player facilities and convince me that Clemson's are comparable.

Re: What in those pictures...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:50 PM

Once again. A few programs I am not saying they don't need to be upgraded. I am saying you constantly using the facilities excuse is a joke. I guess your boy Shyatt wasn't successful due to facilities also?

The reason Clemson doesn't do well is due to coaching not facilities.

null

Just answer the question...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:54 PM

What in those pictures benefited the players? Did any of that work improve the clubhouse or anything else they use on a day-to-day basis? You say "a few programs". Well, they are the programs that Clemson competes against and they have all out-spent Clemson in recent years. Facilities DO play a role. What did Clemson do to help Larry Shyatt be successful? Did Clemson invest ANYTHING in the basketball program to make it easier for him to recruit?

Re: Just answer the question...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:55 PM

lol Clemson was bad under Shyatt for the same reasons we are not elite under Jack... COACHING.

null

Can you answer the question?***

Aug 2, 2012, 1:02 PM

Re: Can you answer the question?***

Aug 2, 2012, 1:20 PM

so you are saying with a plush locker room and a private weight room we could get by with a chain link fence and wood bleachers?

Re: Can you answer the question?***

Aug 2, 2012, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Can you answer the question?*** ]

None of it did, but if you dont think it helps recruiting at all then you are also wrong.

null

Looks like in four years your seats got worse. ;-) ******

Aug 2, 2012, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't care what's "on the board"... ]

null

Re: I wish you'd learn to read...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:47 PM [ in reply to I wish you'd learn to read... ]

before the West Zone the last upgrade to Memorial Stadium was 1983

but where have you been the last 8-10 years? Clemson has made significant upgrades to the facilities for tennis, baseball, basketball, track & field, aquatics...because of money generated from......football

Re: I wish you'd learn to read...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:50 PM

Exactly.

null

No it wasn't...

Aug 2, 2012, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I wish you'd learn to read... ]

Clemson has replaced the scoreboard in Memorial Stadium twice, not to mention the work done on the fence and the concourses. And with the West endzone and now the indoor practice facility, football has had MUCH more done for it than has been done for baseball, or soccer, or basketball. The permanent stands at Riggs Field were built in 1987 and the only improvements made since then have been : 1) a new press box, 2) renovated locker rooms, 3) a new scoreboard (and it's a "hand-me-down" from football). The work that's been done on Doug Kingsmore didn't come from football. In fact, Clemson is making baseball raise a good bit of the money needed for the new player facilities before they even get started. Not one cent of "football money" has been used or will be used on Doug Kingsmore Stadium.

Re: No it wasn't...

Aug 2, 2012, 1:35 PM

> Clemson has replaced the scoreboard in Memorial
> Stadium twice, not to mention the work done on the
> fence and the concourses.

Allow me to clarify...prior to the West Zone, what upgrades qualified as "player facilities"?

The majority of upgrades enhance fan experience. Nicer stadiums bring more fans, which equals more revenue and better recruits because kids want to play in nice stadiums and in front of large crowds.

Aug 2, 2012, 1:38 PM [ in reply to No it wasn't... ]

> Not one cent of "football money" has been used or
> will be used on Doug Kingsmore Stadium.

I know, the moey will come from private gifts and "athletic revenue"

Aug 2, 2012, 1:45 PM [ in reply to No it wasn't... ]

Clemson has replaced the scoreboard in Memorial Stadium twice, not to mention the work done on the fence and the concourses.

What of that is player facilities. That is all that matters right?

null

Baseball fan's typically bitter comments about the

Aug 2, 2012, 11:30 AM [ in reply to If Clemson builds another weight room... ]

single-most important sport at Clemson aside, I agree with him that I would like to see some additional support for the non-revenue sports. We can talk all we want about how they don't make money, but we have them and therefore they should be supported fully. It is a point of pride. I don't know that a weight room for the baseball team is warranted (I have no idea what their facilities look like aside from the locker room and the stadium itself), but certainly the football program has all that it needs and more. As other posters said, we just built a brand new weight room for the football team, we now have an indoor practice facility, tons of meeting space, beautiful offices, a training table, etc., etc. We have a storied history in soccer but I think our locker facilities need improvement. We have a great tradition in Men's track sprinting but it has slipped of late. And of course we want the women's golf team to be set-up for success from the start.

null

As long as other schools...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:37 AM

against whom Clemson competes for baseball recruits have baseball-only weight rooms, then Clemson needs one too. So many people want football to compete with other schools for recruits but don't really seem to care whether other sports do. The facilities Clemson's baseball players use are WAY behind other schools in the region and even the new facilities (whenever they get built) won't really close the gap.

What programs have baseball-only weight rooms?

Aug 2, 2012, 11:43 AM

Do we have recruits that list that as a reason they chose other programs over us?

That seems excessive to me, although certainly I don't have my finger on the pulse of baseball recruiting.

null

Re: What programs have baseball-only weight rooms?

Aug 2, 2012, 11:49 AM

USuc does.

SC, NC and I think Virginia...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:53 AM [ in reply to What programs have baseball-only weight rooms? ]

for starters have baseball-only weight rooms. I would imagine there are others, like LSU. In fact, at North Carolina, baseball players can walk down a corridor from the locker room/clubhouse and find batting tunnels, a weight room and a training room. Clemson's baseball facilities, especially for the players, are in the middle of the pack in the ACC. Don't get me started on where Clemson would rank in the SEC in that category. Does it matter what recruits list as reasons? Did you ever think that maybe when recruits visit Clemson and then visit other schools they see that Clemson isn't keeping up and that other schools VALUE baseball more than Clemson does?

Re: SC, NC and I think Virginia...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:59 AM

So 3 schools... Have you not also stated in the past how our recruiting classes are great the past few years?

If our facilities are so awful wouldnt our recruiting be awful as well? That is not the case though. You act as if Clemson's facilities are dog #### when in fact they are still very very good for a Baseball program. Are they top of the line right now? No are they good enough to win a NC with yes.

null

I've never said the facilities were awful...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:06 PM

but they aren't up to the level of other schools in the region. And I said AT LEAST three other schools have baseball-only weight rooms. There are probably others. How many championships did SC win before they started construction of their new stadium? Clemson's stadium looks nice from the outside, but the part that fans DON'T see is what needs work. I don't think I've passed judgment on recruiting classes. I've given you lists of who's in them, but haven't necessarily passed judgment on how good they are. No, Clemson's facilities are NOT National Championship caliber. Hate to break that news to you.

Re: I've never said the facilities were awful...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:34 PM

Yes you have you have stated numerous time how awesome our next few classes are looking when people state that the program is not heading in the right direction. That is a flat out lie that you never pass judgement on them.

null

Tell me if Clemson's player facilities...

Aug 2, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to What programs have baseball-only weight rooms? ]

can compare to this:

http://www.virginiasports.com/facilities/basebl-clubhouse.html

Is that the rule? So, if I post a picture of the Alabama FB

Aug 2, 2012, 12:41 PM

facilites, and we don't compare, can I justify advocating more to the FB program?

Honest to goodness, the chip on your shoulder about our baseball program (that EVERYONE here cheers for as well) is unreal. Even when I agree with you, it's not enough.

The UVA facilites are nice, but if I were a baseball player I would rather workout at Clemson's weight room (even if I have to share it) than that weight room. Their vanity walls (history, etc) are better and the locker room is a little nicer, but I'm not calling that a knock-out punch. And spoiler - I already know you disagree. I think that's where we are in this "discussion."

null

You'd rather work out...

Aug 2, 2012, 1:01 PM

in the weight room in the basement of Jervey than that one? Guess you aren't 18-22. The locker room is dramatically nicer. In fact, everything about their facilities is significantly better than what Clemson has. Why shouldn't I want Clemson to keep up with its competition in baseball facilities? Should I be satisfied with what Clemson has as long as football gets everything it needs and then some? The football program has certainly been well taken care of at Clemson. The baseball program (not to mention soccer and other sports) has not. You're right, it isn't enough until Clemson makes the same commitment to baseball that other ACC and SEC schools have made.

Am I looking at the right pictures?

Aug 2, 2012, 1:23 PM

http://www.virginiasports.com/view.gal?id=120540

Slide 7 of 10.

http://earlycommit1.com/clemson360/baseball.html

The "Strength Room" on the 360 view.

Yes, I like our room better than theirs. Is that really impossible to believe? Look at them.

I'm done facilitating the tantrum. I appreciate your support of Clemson baseball and other things you do on the board such as take time to post campus photos of construction, etc.

null

Re: As long as other schools...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:51 AM [ in reply to As long as other schools... ]

Which programs have Baseball only WRs?

null

Re: If Clemson builds another weight room...

Aug 2, 2012, 11:52 AM [ in reply to If Clemson builds another weight room... ]

I would rather spend money on getting an Elite coach. The one we have now is just good.

null

Aug 2, 2012, 11:20 AM

click on the link then change the views and check out what's all in the west endzone!

http://earlycommit1.com/clemson360/hill.html

Aug 2, 2012, 11:57 AM

Why do you not think all sports use this weight room????

Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Hope Clemson builds this when indoor facility is complete... ]

I don't think other facilities are that much better, and look at the weight rooms..what do you want anyhow

Aug 2, 2012, 11:50 AM

I think a good bit of what is described there is in the WZ now.

null

I'd love to see

Aug 2, 2012, 12:12 PM

Clemson successfully petition the legislature to establish a veterinary medicine program and build a state of the art facility to house the program. When I think of the money a DVM program would bring to Clemson and the community service it could provide, it seems almost criminal not to pursue it.

There's got be some sort of reasonable voice to bring a slowdown in this perpetual arms race for sports facilities.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic