Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honestly, what is Brownell supposed to do?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Honestly, what is Brownell supposed to do?

Feb 8, 2013, 9:13 AM

The guy's like the Joker's plastic surgeon in the original "Batman," being asked to do facial reconstruction with a hacksaw and a Phillips head. ("You see what I have to work with here.")

Recruiting is the only thing that will fix it. How do we get better recruits? When you figure that out, let me know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the problem with recruiting is

Feb 8, 2013, 9:16 AM

his style of play. He needs scorers. Scorers want to play somewhere where you actually score more than 50. To recruit at a place like Clemson, you need to offer an exciting style. Brads style will work, but he needs players. To get players, he needs a more uptempo style. Its a Catch 22

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting is part of the job right? I think Brownell is a

Feb 8, 2013, 9:19 AM

good coach but he has to be able to convince some better BB talent to come play for him. CU will always have a recruiting disadvantage against UNC and Duke but we should be able to competitively recruit against the other ACC teams and SEC teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting is a lot like Sales. The ability to sell a

Feb 8, 2013, 9:20 AM

product, service, a lifestyle, etc. is a gift. It's a talent. Dabo has it. Danny Ford had it. Urban Meyer has it. Napier has it. Jeff Scott has it. Purnell has it. Dean Smith had it. I haven't seen it yet from Brownell.

I think he needs to hire a couple of GREAT recruiters as assistants.

Re: Recruiting is a lot like Sales. The ability to sell a

Feb 8, 2013, 11:06 AM

You can thank purnell for the mess we are in. Those 2 sr. on the floor are not very good

He's not adapting his schemes to his talent. He continues

Feb 8, 2013, 9:26 AM

to complain that he doesn't have shooters, yet he doesn't press and run more to get easier baskets in transition. Our talent is not suited to the halfcourt offense he is trying to run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frankly...his defense-only coaching mentality won't...

Feb 8, 2013, 9:29 AM

...cut it.

He will not be able to recruit elite offensive skill guys.

A coach can generally take an athlete and teach him how to play strong defense, but refined offensive skills, particularly at the D-I level, must come with years of practice. Such players are not going to come play for Brownell who will immediately put their offensive skills on the backbench until they learn how to play defense.

We're in for another 3 years of this, until Radakovich has built the new basketball arena. Then Rad will go out an find a new basketball coach. I'm thinking the next NCAA tournament appearance in 2017.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

sadly i agree

Feb 8, 2013, 9:34 AM

I was a big fan of Brads but I knew his recruiting would be the death of him. Sadly it's becoming more true with every day. I think he would be a good coach at a more high profile school where it's easier to recruit. But if he doesn't cut it here, he probably will never get that type of chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what's going to happen.

Feb 8, 2013, 9:42 AM

Brownell's going to flame out, and we'll go and replace him with another "up-and-comer" from a Horizon League or lower-tier Big East school...and in 4 years we'll be talking about how it's time for a change...he can't recruit...his system stinks...yada yada yada.

It's a vicious cycle. The probability of catching lightning in a bottle with these hires is very low. We're not going to get better this way.

If we're not willing to go out and spend some real cash on a proven winner/coach/recruiter (who, I have no idea), we might as well stick with Brad.

I am afraid under Brownell, we are DOA

Feb 8, 2013, 9:42 AM [ in reply to sadly i agree ]

Last night...no preparation, no coaching, no plan, no discipline, no desire...we looked amateurish and unorganized...even in the old days, before Tates Locke we were not as bad as we are now. And seems to me organization and discipline should trump youth and talent. We really looked bad. Unless we somehow raid the JUCOs and get some talented big men and a shooter to bridge the gap, Brownell wont last long enough to get things in place, if he can get them in place. A new arena wont fix what I saw last night and with the terrible basketball team I doubt the money will be spent. I am sad to say, I dont have a lot to be optimistic about at the moment, and the sad realization I came to last night was we will be worse next year. Man, we could use some JUCOs like Chubby Wells about now.

Blossomgame....Coleman....***

Feb 8, 2013, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Frankly...his defense-only coaching mentality won't... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

His style is not defense only. Besides, there are lots of

Feb 8, 2013, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Frankly...his defense-only coaching mentality won't... ]

good basketball teams that are not wide-open run and gun, and are very effective in the half-court. Almost all of those teams have some guys who can shoot. Our style is not preventing us from getting the players we need.

I see his style as strong defense and solid half court offense, while always looking for opportunities to fast break without forcing it. A lot of good teams play this way. A focus on the half court is a welcom change in my eyes after the last couple of years under Purnell when we had zero in the half-court and were completely lost.

I think our lack of success in the half court offense now is due to our lack of offensive talent. We don't have good shooters. We throw up more bricks from wide open jumpers than any team I've ever seen. We have at least one air-ball per game. Aside from Booker around the basket, and McDaniels on the drive, we don't have anybody that can create a shot, score off the dribble, or shoot over a defender. Most teams we play have a couple of players that can hit the open jumpers, and a couple who can create or score off the dribble.

The challenge at Clemson has always been getting players that are good enough to win in the ACC. The coach that can crack that nut will be a big winner here. No coach will win big here until they do. I think it can be done; if we don't believe it, then throw in the towel.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

obviously the talent has to be better to have any chance at

Feb 8, 2013, 9:46 AM

all

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honestly, what is Brownell supposed to do?

Feb 8, 2013, 10:20 AM

Recruiting is not going to pick up significantly until at least a state of the art practice facility and player locker room/lounge, etc. are built. And few desirable coaches would want employment at CU until that happens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Re: Honestly, what is Brownell supposed to do?

Feb 8, 2013, 10:24 AM

He's supposed to recruit! You mean to tell me that Brad Stephenson continues to find shooters and get them to Butler be Brownell can't find a single one?!!

IMO, the best thing to do is look at

Feb 8, 2013, 10:39 AM

the most recent and successful time we have had. We need to go after an up and comer "Minority" coach with an up tempo style that appeals to players we can get. To win games now, you have to be able to recruit and BBs style and personality is not to cutting it. He's either a bad evaluator of talent or just can't relate and sell the program to get talent. Most of what he has brought in since he has been here should be playing in Furman's league.

Next year is is set up to be worse as he has no replacement for Booker. Then when Louisville, Pitt and Cuse come in, watch out.

The problem is...

Feb 8, 2013, 10:47 AM

He recruited everybody on this roster except for Milton and Devin. The excuse that these aren't his guys is invalid. Bringing in the talent is just as much a part of the job as putting together a gameplan and motivating the players.

The gameplan and motivation last night were not there... and it's not the first time that's happened this year.

null

Re: The problem is...

Feb 8, 2013, 11:09 AM

And one of those two is nothing but a cancer and should have been shown the door long ago

Re: The problem is...

Feb 8, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to The problem is... ]

You are correct, all of the players except for the two seniors are his recruits but keep in mind that they are all freshmen and sphmores. That makes it pretty tough. And before anybody jumps all over me.....I was a very unhappy Clemson fan last night !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic