Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I think no students go to Basketball games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Why I think no students go to Basketball games

Feb 17, 2014, 5:48 PM

I'm a student and I try to go to most basketball games when I don't have class or a test.

1. Clemson doesn't notify or "hype up" the BBall games like they do for football games.

When a football game rolls around I get tons of emails from IPTAY the collegiate club, the athletics department, etc.
For basketball games I get nothing, Basketball games aren't even included in the InsideClemson emails (while events like movie night are)

2. Student intrests seems to just be down on BBall
I try to ask people in class if they're going or have gone to a certain game and almost no one cares. Most can't tell you a single player on the team (not even KJ). It's embarrassing to be quite honest

3. There's no tailgating for BBall
Let's be honest, a lot of students that go football games go for the tailgating. You can't get hammered and go to a BBall game.

Overall I think Clemson needs to be more involved in advertising the games. The interest for students just doesn't seem to be there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't get hammered and go to a BBall game?

Feb 17, 2014, 5:57 PM

I call BS on that one

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: You can't get hammered and go to a BBall game?

Feb 17, 2014, 6:35 PM

You can get hammered and go anywhere, as long as your not driving.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely agree with you on #1

Feb 17, 2014, 6:04 PM

However, I have to wonder who the people you're talking to are who have no idea who's even on the basketball team. Is it just a trend with kids these days to not be very into sports? Because that's the only way I can understand students at a school just having no interest in one their major sports programs that's having a pretty good year.

As for #3, while you can't tailgate for bball, you can certainly do a power- hour before the games... Not saying I know anybody who did that, but ya know...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, I think changing demographics of students

Feb 17, 2014, 6:38 PM

Influence #2. I will admit, I wasn't the best student in high school, and would have never made it into Clemson now, but I was fairly well rounded and I was at every football and basketball game because I valued the entire college experience (well, maybe not the academic part of it until the last 2 years). I think as you start weeding out kids like me, in favor of out of state kids, or kids who only came to Clemson as a means to an ends, you really lose something. I always felt like college should be more of an experience and less of a trade school.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

You'd besurprised how many times I've said "did you see KJ's

Feb 17, 2014, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Definitely agree with you on #1 ]

dunk last night" and gotten the response "Who's that"

If Brownell gets this program on track, and it appears he is doing so,

Feb 17, 2014, 6:25 PM

the lack of support he is getting right now will factor in to his leaving when another program, such as Indiana, comes looking for a new coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you could sell out the building for every single game

Feb 17, 2014, 8:25 PM

and if Indiana came calling he's leaving either way....this isn't a destination job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why I think no students go to Basketball games

Feb 17, 2014, 7:19 PM

I agree that they don't hype it up enough. I feel like if they partnered with different groups such as fraternities/sororities, FCA, club sports teams, Student Government, etc. to have a night for those organizations, it would help attendance. As for #2, interest is down because the team isn't a top 25 team and we don't have the basketball tradition. I grew up watching Clemson hoops and can remember seeing when we were ranked an Littlejohn was rocking. I tell that to students now, and they had no idea it was ever a big deal. Most of them just know low scoring teams and only showing up for the Duke game. As for number 3, people tailgate baseball, so you know they can tailgate basketball. It's just about getting it started.

I think it has more to do with our record over the last two

Feb 17, 2014, 7:28 PM

years combined with the slow pace of play. If we start winning, they will come. It won't happen over night. It just might take a bit longer than a team with a lot of tradition and a fast pace of play.

Last year was painful. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/228/year/2013/clemson-tigers The year before wasn't much better.

Start winning consistently and it will get crazy in Littlejohn.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In SC, bball takes backseat to fball and baseball***

Feb 17, 2014, 7:30 PM

Feb 17, 2014, 7:33 PM

I agree there isn't enough hype, but would you forget to go to football games on Saturdays in the fall if you didn't get any emails about it?

No, but we know the games are on saturdays

Feb 17, 2014, 11:36 PM

or very rarely thursday.

with basketball games can fall on any day of the week and at anytime.

Feb 17, 2014, 8:34 PM

I think hype kind of builds its self... When the remodel is completed and the students get to surround the court then i think the hype will grow leaps and bounds...

I go to every game.

Feb 17, 2014, 9:07 PM

Then again, I grew up playing basketball so maybe that's a factor. I just love the sport.

More students live off-campus now. The commitment is

Feb 17, 2014, 9:59 PM

Greater than walking from Johnstone. And where does an off-campus student park for BB games?

Walking to/from Littlejohn was a blast as a student. For an off-campus student, it requires 60-90 additional than it did in the 70s and 80s.

Only about 1000 less live on campus now than 20 years ago***

Feb 17, 2014, 10:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I question the accurace of that statistic.

Feb 18, 2014, 9:41 AM

Almost all Juniors, Seniors and Grad Students now live in off-campus housing. That certainly was not the case twenty years ago.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Are you serious? Lot 5 is open...I went to every home

Feb 18, 2014, 8:20 AM [ in reply to More students live off-campus now. The commitment is ]

basketball game as a student living off campus...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

What other schools tailgate before BB games?

Feb 17, 2014, 10:34 PM

I think two things are key to get students there

1. New arena where students sit closer to the court like Duke where they can have more fun

2. A better and more consistent team to keep them there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The University can certainly step up its promotion of the

Feb 18, 2014, 5:07 AM

games, as can student leadership, especially considering the number of organizations, frats, sororities, etc.

Secondly, TV has turned a lot of folks across the nation into armchair coaches and fans unless, of course, high stakes games or top-quality opponents are involved.

Thirdly, the quality of play of the home team will dictate attendance. As a number of TNetters have posted, win, and attendance will increase.

Fourthly, I have long been a proponent of putting the students in the best seats in the house, so to speak, to encourage the greatest support for the team. While top donors are important, their level of raucous, morale-boosting support will always pale compared to our students' enthusiasm. Apextiger has posted some excellent thoughts on this.

Lastly, I don't believe this crap that we can't be a top football and basketball school....It's always been about COMMITMENT, spelled in all caps because therein lies the answer. It has to begin with the BOT, then trickle downward, so that our entire family is involved. When it reaches the student level, I would challenge the Student Body President to lead the charge and get other student leaders on the bandwagon, for strong student leadership has proven extremely effective over the years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least you can admit it is pathetic I guess.

Feb 18, 2014, 8:23 AM

"when I don't have class or a test"...I hope you mean in direct conflict of the gametime. It is very easy to go to a basketball game the night before any test.

1. This is a potential problem, but really not hard to find out when games are. And you need to be more proactive to your friends and say it.

2. To me that is pathetic.

3. Eh, park in Lot 5 and drink and go to the game if you want to tailgate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I agree. I took my classes very seriously and did very well

Feb 18, 2014, 8:51 AM

in a Mechanical Engineering curriculum, and I don't think it ever occurred to me to miss a game because of a test or class that was coming up. To me it was just one of the things I did.

The drinking thing is ridiculous too. Do you really NEED to drink to do everything!?! That's kind of sad.

null

Most students can't name the players? Wow!

Feb 18, 2014, 8:49 AM

I went to Clemson during the Barnes era. Things sure have changed down there. I remember getting on campus and telling my new friends that I probably would go to all the football games but maybe one or two basketball games (this was Cliff's last season). Man, was I wrong. I went to almost all the games and stood on the bleachers under the basket. Super fun. Sorry to read that students aren't into it like we were during the Barnes era.

I like Brownell and hope he can keep improving the program, but one thing I definitely haven't detected from him is that connection with the students. Barnes had it (no jokes...please). The fans really liked how he stood toe-to-toe with Dean Smith. How he would be at the ticket camp-outs with pizzas and hot chocolate. He was really engaged in it. I haven't seen it from Brownell, but of course, I'm not a student.

Clemson AD should certainly advertise the games more and ultimately the students should get the floor seats. I've always thought this - this is THEIR team and they should be able to support them. Give them three quarters of the stadium (both baselines and one side...behind the players) and give the season ticket holders the other side so that the people generous enough to spend that kind of money can watch the madness. Maybe a new arena will prompt this.

null

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic