Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest question about too much coaching... (IMG)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Honest question about too much coaching... (IMG)

Mar 27, 2015, 2:44 AM

I have heard the theory about Texas and there high school kids being over coached. (I know IMG IS A FLORIDA SCHOOL). Supposedly the theory is that a kid is very well coached (maybe too much) and he is over achieving. Now, theoretically you have a true 3* ability performing at a 4* or 5* level. (Thus throwing off there true measurable value). While I know that this is a good problem to have, I can't help but wonder about, whether these young men from IMG ACADEMY will be all that they are projected as. Either way I am excited and I know that I am worrying more than I should. It's good to be worried about little things this early in the process, I guess.
GO TIGERS!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest question about too much coaching... (IMG)

Mar 27, 2015, 2:46 AM

Guess I'm just wondering if anybody else is overthinking things like I am. I just want to belong.

+1 for sincerity...GO TIGERS!***

Mar 27, 2015, 9:33 AM

Mar 27, 2015, 3:08 AM

> I have heard the theory about Texas and there high
> school kids being over coached. (I know IMG IS A
> FLORIDA SCHOOL). Supposedly the theory is that a kid
> is very well coached (maybe too much) and he is over
> achieving. Now, theoretically you have a true 3*
> ability performing at a 4* or 5* level. (Thus
> throwing off there true measurable value). While I
> know that this is a good problem to have, I can't
> help but wonder about, whether these young men from
> IMG ACADEMY will be all that they are projected as.
> Either way I am excited and I know that I am
> m worrying more than I should. It's good to be
> worried about little things this early in the
> process, I guess.
> GO TIGERS!!!

The problem isn't "overcoaching". It's overdelopment.

A good example was Byrnes about 10 years ago. I remember at one point Byrnes had 3 players listed in the Top 100 of the Rivals 100. So either one of two things was in play:

1) Byrnes players were already hitting their peak early, owing to a player-development program that rivaled any college program (check Byrnes' facilities, which are WAAAAY better than a lot of FCS programs, and you'll see what was going on instantly), OR.....

2) There was some mutant gene pool going on in Lyman, South Carolina. Again, that maybe works if you're some place like Glades Central, in the Muck, in an isolated community in the swamp in South Florida...but Lyman, SC, ain't The Muck. You don't have a bunch of closely-related people who have lived there for 200+ years. There's no mutant gene in play. Which means...it ain't DNA. It's development. A red-flag would be when your 190-pound corner, Prince Miller, is benching 400 pounds...in high school. How is that guy going to develop further?

If there wasn't a mutant gene, it was Explanation #1.

Mar 27, 2015, 3:17 AM

You're right quozzel over development is probably the phrase I was searching for. Either way I guess it is a good problem to have. I will take hearing that these kids are too ready rather than that they weren't prepared.

Mar 27, 2015, 3:26 AM

Don't worry bout nothing that's not worth worrying about . We're recruiting great but as Danny used to say "you never know for sure til you get them there ".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2015, 3:56 AM

Smith is ranked that high and he just transferred to IMG. He hasn't been there for a football season yet. The guy he talked about bringing with him to Clemson is from his old school. Most of the elite guys at IMG transfer in from other places so most of them have their rankings due to the work they put in pre-IMG

Mar 27, 2015, 4:00 AM

He has played all of his football to this point at Calvert Hall in Baltimore Maryland. Straight out of the Wire

Mar 27, 2015, 4:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Honest question about too much coaching... (IMG) ]

> Smith is ranked that high and he just transferred to
> IMG. He hasn't been there for a football season yet.
> The guy he talked about bringing with him to Clemson
> n is from his old school. Most of the elite guys at
> IMG transfer in from other places so most of them
> have their rankings due to the work they put in
> pre-IMG

IMG is world class.

If you don't understand what IMG is about, you haven't seen it.

Just check the website. You'll see it. There's a reason that 95% of the United States Men's National Soccer Team came from IMG, once upon a time - not too many moons ago. They were (are) that good. Other places have caught up...but their standards have not dropped.

Mar 27, 2015, 3:14 PM

> > Smith is ranked that high and he just transferred
> to
> > IMG. He hasn't been there for a football season
> yet.
> > The guy he talked about bringing with him to
> Clemson
> > n is from his old school. Most of the elite guys
> at
> > IMG transfer in from other places so most of them
> > have their rankings due to the work they put in
> > pre-IMG
>
> IMG is world class.
>
> If you don't understand what IMG is about, you
> haven't seen it.
>
> Just check the website. You'll see it. There's a
> reason that 95% of the United States Men's National
> Soccer Team came from IMG, once upon a time - not too
> many moons ago. They were (are) that good. Other
> places have caught up...but their standards have not
> dropped.

Q I know you from other boards. I know all about IMG and what it's about. I've been there (not to attend of course lol). I was just pointing out in regards to our recruits they aren't overdeveloped by IMG to get their ranking as they've barely been at IMG. Rahshaun just got to IMG. I was just pointing out his ranking and projection is based on what he's done before IMG. It's a great thing he's now at IMG to be developed well before arriving to Clemson. There's a reason IMG is around 90 grand a year for the kids that actually have to pay to attend.

You're correct in that it is a good "problem" to have.

Mar 27, 2015, 5:08 AM

However, you can never work on fundamentals enough. I understand they implement an O and D scheme on IMG's football team, but fundamentals are fundamentals. IMO, even in college, more time than the average fan would guess, is spent on the fundamentals of a position, or certain O and D schemes. All professional sports have fundamentals a player must work on to maintain a muscle memory/reflex (or whatever the case may be) to become better, and make his craft almost a "6th sense" so they can just play loose and fast; or however they normally play regardless of the situation. IMHO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't the same be said for academic boarding schools?

Mar 27, 2015, 7:24 AM

Call me crazy but sending your kid to IMG to get the best athletic training appears similar to shipping your kid off to an academic prep school. If there's to much practice and athletic emphasis at IMG, supposedly, one could also argue that there's to much academic emphasis and scholarly focus at some prep schools. Essentially both circumstances weigh in on a persons mental status, focus, and drive.

If an athlete can "burn out to early" couldn't the same occur to a young kid on the academic avenue as well? Just something to consider. The irony is that we used to chastise other countries like China and Russia for training kids to early and now we seem to be doing the same.

However, I did come across something that really put things into perspective for me in terms of how far we go to mold kids into "products." This might disturb you but there are actually people out there scouting 6th graders.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/16/rivals-is-scouting-sixth-grade-football-players-now/

Its not just 6th graders

Mar 27, 2015, 8:45 AM

Perfect Game has representatives at most of the baseball tournaments in Atlanta. Our 9u team got invited to play in a PG tournament this spring/summer based on a single fall tournament. The only reason they do this is to get kids in their database to start tracking them.

FWIW, as awesome as the new PG park is, we turned it down. Too many games would have been played before we got to that point and it cost too much.

Its not too much coaching, its just specific coaching

Mar 27, 2015, 8:39 AM

and about how to impress enough folks to get to the next level. Its no different than what athletes do after college to impress the draft scouts (or a college student working with a resume builder)

I think its harder to make someone just look good for the scouts in football. Its pretty easy to spot football talent vs combine-type talent. But I do think these academies have diluted baseball. They just teach things that get MLB and college coaches all worked up without polishing the players overall game.

In my 5 years as a player

Mar 27, 2015, 9:05 AM

The main thing that seperated starters vs bench guys was mental and work ethic. We recruit fast big, strong, athletic guys. Your football IQ doesnt have a ceiling. If we were getting questionable athletes as far as athleticism goes, Id be concerned. When theyre 6'3", 230lbs, run a 4.50 at the nike opening, I'm not concerned theyre "too smart" when it comes to football.

Another thing. High school football is such an elementary form of football, for the most part you recruit athletes, not mentally prepared football players who understand complete schemes.

I wouldnt worry. At all. How fast they pick up concepts and overall intelligence would mean more to me than if theyre "too far ahead".

Clemson is getting more and more of these guys.

Mar 27, 2015, 12:01 PM

We call them starters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is getting more and more of these guys.

Mar 27, 2015, 8:05 PM

> We call them starters.

Exactly! IMG takes very motivated kids who want to excel at sports and they train them. IMG doesn't just take anyone with the tuition. Too much demand. IMG guys come out with a better overall perspective of what it "actually" takes to succeed at the next level. Most high school kids come out being the "best" at their school not realizing they're about to play with and against the best college players. For many it's a shock. Brooks said it best when he got here,"I was the fastest guy where I came from...but then I got here and everybody's fast!"

Sammy, Mac, Deshaun are the few and far between exceptions to the norm. IMG kids are trained differently. They know coming out that it's all about the Grind. You can have all the talent in the world but unless your willing to embrace the grind necessary to compete at this level, your not gonna. Mike Bellamy didn't understand that.

I'll take all the IMG guys we can get.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic