Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BBQ Stories
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

BBQ Stories

Nov 11, 2019, 12:47 PM

So we did the Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ Competition at Smoky Oak Taproom in James Island this weekend. cutiger85 posted the flyer a coupla months ago, and I tossed it over to Dad and forgot about it. He signed us up.

I don't feel like typing a serious longcat post (nevermind, ended up being longcat), so just some highlights. Get out there on Friday afternoon to set up; wings (if you wanted to compete in wings) had to be turned in at 7pm. Pork butt, pork ribs, and brisket turned in at 10am, 11am, and noon on Saturday, and combined scores in those 3 determined overall winner (wings were just a side gig that you didn't have to compete in for the overall score). Dad on pork butts, mah fran Dan (the newly minted Clemson student) on ribs, and me on brisket. Got my brisket on around 6pm. Wings on a little before that, but couldn't get temp on the kamado to cooperate, so they probably ended up about 20 minutes short on needed smoke and temp. Also, I have no fuggin' idea what a BBQ judge is looking for in wings, so I just made what we all decided was the best combo a couple months ago after experimenting with rubs and sauces and whatnot.

Jamaican jerk rub, pecan smoke, light toss in Frank's hot sauce/butter, 60-70 second flash-fry to crisp up, and a lil Alabama white sauce; sounds weird and busy, but all of that stuff works really well together--you'd have to try it:

They ended up 6th out of 11 teams that turned in wings. Dead center. I don't know what that means. Don't really care. It's a good wing.

Lowe's stopped carrying the Stubb's briquettes, so we had several bags of Royal Oak charcoal that they replaced the Stubb's with. Charcoal is charcoal, right? Rookie mistake. Royal Oak sucks dick. Too hot and inconsistent, so we spent hours fighting it and over- and under-compensating; didn't discover until 9:30 in the morning when Dad was pulling his pork that the "bark" on the underside was actually burnt af. So all of that goodness you typically have shredded and mixed in your pulled pork, had to be taken out, because it was bitter, blackened, and awful. Still, pretty good, but that category is likely to have the stiffest competition in the Carolinas. Got reports about how good the pulled pork was at most of the other 14 teams, so not surprisingly, Dad finished at 13 out of 15 (with what was still very good pulled pork, but he's certainly made better).

I was kinda curious if Lightnin' Dan was going to halfass his ribs, or go all in. I've watched him make ribs a few times, usually not much rhyme or reason, and a couple times they've turned out great, and a few times a bit meh. He put in the effort this weekend. There was a point where he was painting sheets of foil like a Picasso with honey from a squeeze bottle, and perfect pinches of brown sugar. Applaudable effort, and they ended up being DAMN fine ribs, easily the best he's done.

He ended up in 4th out of 15, and only a half point off of 3rd. Perfect 10s from (I think) 2 of the judges. Bummer he didn't place.

Brisket went reasonably smoothly, but I really had no idea how this stuff should go in a box. 8 judges...do they each need their own slice? A center cut slice of brisket is half a pound, if not more. And with an 18 lb. brisket, that's not even going to fit in a box. I guess I coulda spent a little more time figuring out what judges want to see.

Didn't get a great smoke ring on this one, but it's there. Couldn't have put 8 slices in the box if I wanted to, and even 6 was too stuffed--that was actually one of the comments. One judge said it was too fatty. What? I guess I could have sliced from the lean end and given them dry brisket, but that's a weird comment, because I'm pretty sure in Texas, every single judge is going to want the center-cut with the fat line running through the middle. And another paradoxical set of comments: sliced too thick, and fall apart too easily. I tried to get close to a 1/4" slice, but they're probably closer to 1/2". Any thinner, and it'd pretty much disintegrate. So which is it? I get that these judges all have to be certified by Southern Barbecue Network, but they're all still pretty local/regional, so how much do they actually KNOW about brisket? Anyway, finished 6th out of 15, and I find that to be pretty disappointing based on feedback from people walking around and trying all the brisket out there.

Put all of those together, and we finished 8th out of 15 teams. Dead center. The top 5 were all teams that have done over 50 of these events each, and travel around 4 or 5 states covered by SBN. They put a ton of time into figuring out exactly what the judges want to see, and tweaking and tuning to get bump their scores. That seems a wee bit disingenuous to me, which is why I'll probably never be fully on board with the idea of BBQ "competitions". Shit, man. Make what tastes good. I wish I'd had the chance to walk around and try everybody else's.

Here's the winning team name (think they finished 2nd overall to Tailgater Hater):

Got an hour of sleep from maybe 4:30-5:30am in a chair. Woke up to a buddy waving DD coffee under my nose, took an hour to thaw out completely. Was grouchy af (and quite drunk) when wife was driving me and the kids home, and she was remarkably patient with my poor attitude. Almost immediately fell asleep on the couch at 6pm on Saturday night, missed end of LSU/Bama, saw maybe 60 seconds of Clemson, and put in a good 11-12 hours to catch up.

Birthday party oyster roast for 72 year old pops yesterday, fantastic batch of oysters. Killed 3 bushels.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice pigs, rookie***

Nov 11, 2019, 12:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

That crew only judges brisket 2-3 times a year at most

Nov 11, 2019, 12:59 PM

Judges can’t cut the pieces so to have 8 samples you needed to cut your slices in half or something.
Also, while they aren’t supposed to, some folks mark down if there aren’t burnt ends in the box.

Those were some real pretty ribs, tough luck on the pork.

Just for giggles you ought to take the judges class and judge a few. It’s pretty fun. A lot of the cooks judge 1 or 2 a year to get a feel for the in vogue flavor profiles.

Wings looked good - the 2 times I’ve judged wings they were sooooo different flavor wise, hot, sweet, dry, wet, etc it was really hard to pick a best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Judging actually does sound pretty fun, and way less

Nov 11, 2019, 1:01 PM

annoying. I might look into that. Are you certified with SBN in particular?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judging is a good time - SCBA judge here

Nov 11, 2019, 1:06 PM

met a lot of neat people and ate a lot of good Q and ribs. Don't get brisket often, get some real good and some real bad. Most Q and ribs are very good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Judging actually does sound pretty fun, and way less

Nov 11, 2019, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Judging actually does sound pretty fun, and way less ]

SBN, KCBS, & SCBA (still novice)

It has been interesting to see the differences and similarities SBN has a lot of competitions in your area so they would be a good option. I’ve enjoyed SCBA so far and they have more competitions up here near me. KCBS has gotten to be a bit of a pain and I only do Woodruff any more because it’s close.

Sorry for the delay 19B®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Cool, may take a look at SBN judging.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:36 PM

I'll definitely tap your knowledge if we ever decide to compete in one of these again. I think we made ribs and brisket as good as anybody, and suffered some on presentation. It'd be a lotta fun to take down guys who put so much effort into these things.

One of my good friends is a BBQ.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Judging actually does sound pretty fun, and way less ]

Also, a magistrate judge for Beaufort County, so he's like REALLY judgey. It's quite possible that you've met him at the tailgate or a spring game, because he's also a Clemson grad....was the editor in chief of The Tiger back in our day.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BBQ JUDGE, that is.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:36 PM

No way he could be an actual grill for barbecuing burgers and such, I mean.

Royal Oak = no bueno.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:13 PM

I've heard tons of stories about people finding rocks and nails and flooring and #### in those bags.

Very nice work and very nice pigs. Those ribs look smoky as hail.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TRUE STORY ABOUT ROYAL OAK:

Nov 11, 2019, 3:07 PM

I bought two bags for the price of one a year or so ago and one bag was infested with yellow jackets. Got it home and opened the bag and it was like a whirlwind of stripey stingy bugs came rising out. Burned the whole bag in my fire pit. Still have half the second bag, but have mostly just done burgers/dogs and such with it.

Holy ####. I was trying to figure out how to get worse than

Nov 11, 2019, 3:13 PM

nails, #####, and flooring. Yellowjackets would do the trick.

Seriously.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:16 PM

Like, a brazillion of them...not just a few. I had to wait for the cloud to subside before I could drag it off to the fire pit. Never seen anything like it, to be honest.

I HAD ROYAL OAK THIS WEEKEND, RH TIG.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:21 PM

THAT COULD HAVE BEEN ME.

Somehow, I avoided getting stung.

Nov 11, 2019, 3:54 PM

On the other hand, I somehow got a yellow jacket inside my shirt while walking the dog at lunch this past Friday and got stung on the bicep. I'm assuming from the county mowing the sides of the road about 15 minutes before the pup and I went out was the cause. It still itches today, so thank Mothra that my superior genetic makeup kept the deadly insect venom from completely rendering me deceased. I probably should file civil suit and live out the rest of my life leisurely from the vast wealth I would surely be awarded for this gross misconduct of local government.

Kamado Joe big block is the GOAT charcoal***

Nov 11, 2019, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Royal Oak = no bueno. ]

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never worked with SBN as SBN.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:14 PM

It was a bunch of people pissed off at Lake High a few years ago. Seeing as I was also pissed at the SCBA I talked to them about working my cook-off. Those effers wanted us to have a $1 million dollar insurance policy and charged a really high application fee. That was the last I heard from them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lake has stepped down from SCBA

Nov 11, 2019, 1:48 PM

I have never met anyone more full of themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is in charge now?

Nov 11, 2019, 2:37 PM

2011 I had to star working weekends and really haven't been involved with BBQ judging since. I enjoyed most of the people but had no use for the leadership. He also didn't offer any degree of apology for the fiasco that was getting my results in the 3rd year of my competition. Took 3-4 hours.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim Wellman

Nov 11, 2019, 7:44 PM

https://scbarbeque.com/

Finished***

Nov 11, 2019, 1:18 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great post. those ribs look mighty nice! congrats***

Nov 11, 2019, 1:28 PM

Enjoyed all of your cue, so did the little one.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:48 PM

Nice meeting you, you have the distinct pleasure of being the first lunger I’ve met face to face after all these years.

That was pretty hilarious.

Nov 11, 2019, 1:54 PM

I'm like "you....look familiar".

Re: That was pretty hilarious.

Nov 11, 2019, 2:57 PM

A chance meeting. My house is about 100 yards from Smoky Oak. I was in my backyard smoking a butt and heard music, decided to walk over there and check it out.

I shoulda crashed on your couch instead of in a

Nov 11, 2019, 3:11 PM

folding chair in 40 degrees.

Re: BBQ Stories

Nov 11, 2019, 2:31 PM

making me hungry again and I just ate!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BBQ Stories

Nov 12, 2019, 4:14 PM

I was one of the judges Saturday. All the teams did really well and there are usually razor thin margins in scoring. Congratulations and it was for a good cause (sarascure.com).

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic