Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it

Oct 5, 2019, 8:25 AM

How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it

Many defenses over the last few seasons have gone into games against Clemson wanting to stack the box and stop the Clemson run game with Travis Etienne and take their chances with the passing game. Not North Carolina. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it

Oct 5, 2019, 8:32 AM

I think it's a good strategy. Last year people would stack the box and dare TLaw to throw. I don't think daring Trevor Lawrence to pass the ball to Higgins, Ross, etc., is such a smart idea.

Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it

Oct 5, 2019, 8:38 AM

It will only make us better when others try it again. Our offensive coordinators are really good at self scouting. I’m sure they will get to talk about mistakes and how to expose our opponents. It’s what we did to Bama and Notre Dame, we adjusted to their defense an exposed their weaknesses aggressively.

I’m sure hardly none of our cards are on the table at this point because we want to save that for the playoffs. If we brought 2 TE’s in or played empty backfield with 4-5 WR’s we would have smoked the competition but we don’t use that until the playoffs. It’s what we did last year and were trying with Kelly in 2017.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 5, 2019, 8:45 AM

Regardless the O linemen must win the battle

Oct 5, 2019, 9:03 AM

You are absolutely correct, that's what I saw; our Oline got whipped in run offense. I guess 145 degrees on their "turf" didn't help.

Oct 5, 2019, 9:39 AM

That heat went both ways. Not an excuse for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 12:15 PM

But the surface of what a team uses do count. I say this bc I remember back when a passing team would come into DV, passing teams and their coaches would complain about the Crown that went from goal line to goal line from the center of the field slanting down toward both side lines made it really difficult for QBs to adjust to the way they had to throw the ball. Depending on where the QB and their Receivers were when their throw was made, it caused their throws to be to high or too low. I don't think that the Crown was taken out of the field in DV until Tommy Bowden became the HC at Clemson. In those times before TB, the crown in DV did give us an advantage, and so does the surface that a home team is use to playing on!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it ]

??????This is absolutely where it all starts. We have a bunch of bada$$€$ on our O line but it seems they continually gave up their leverage to Carolina d-line and way to many penalties. This is all correctable and I know our coaches and players will get it done. All In for Tiger Glory!!!

Oct 5, 2019, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it ]

I’m sorry, but this “we weren’t showing everything we have because we want to save it for the playoffs” thing that I keep hearing on here is pure idiocy. Do you really think the coaches were choosing to not do everything they could to win that game? What good would it do to save plays for the playoffs if we lose that game and don’t make the playoffs?

That game was very much in doubt in the fourth quarter. The offensive staff was throwing anything and everything they had at UNC to try and win that game. Unfortunately they just didn’t have much for UNC, adjustments and creativity. The o line got whipped and the OCs couldn’t find a way to help them out. It dang sure wasn’t because they were “holding back for the playoffs”.

I agree. Thank you for posting this.

Oct 5, 2019, 11:15 AM

Some people act like we purposely kept things vanilla and didn’t mind a close game. I’ve actually read posts here saying that Dabo planned it that way to challenge the team and keep them humble. What a ridiculous suggestion!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

For sure. Some on here seem to be almost Bamaesque in

Oct 5, 2019, 11:41 AM

their denial that the offense isn't hitting on all cylinders right now. This so much mirrors the start of 2016, when we were supposed to have the greatest offense ever, and also started out slowly. But anyone who thinks that we were willing to lose a game to hold back part of the playbook is way off base.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it ]

good thing you're not on Twitter as the Tiger faithful would have your lunch, lol

Oct 5, 2019, 8:50 AM

Good grief. My head is starting to hurt. I have to respectfully disagree with all the concerns that I keep hearing. Unless, maybe, it's all part of the act hoping that future opponents fall for this. Oh - okay - carry on.

I agree with you. However, the UNC coach's comments boil

Oct 5, 2019, 10:10 AM

down to, "We thought we could play their O-line straight up and beat them, and we did." That is either a wake up call or its a struggle from here on. I hope for the former, and think it will be. We'll see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it ]

Agreed. Holding anything back for the playoffs wouldn’t be the best idea when we’re struggling and need to use it. If we lose, we might not make the playoffs. You have to get there first. I really doubt that’s what the coaches are doing. It’s probably more that as the O gels, they are able to open up the book more. However, the more the starters play, they’ll get there faster, which takes me to the next point...

Our biggest mistake so far IMO is that we haven’t played the starters enough. We shouldn’t be pulling them as early if they need the reps to get the plays, timing, and chemistry down.

Furthermore, I think we have the talent and depth across the board to adapt to any defensive game plan and expose their weaknesses. There is no need to disguise anything from our book. When we get the chemistry down (should’ve gotten there sooner btw), it’s pick your poison for Ds IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Oct 5, 2019, 12:31 PM

Bye week on the horizon
UNC lost to app st
Supposed to blow through all remaining competition.

Could it be that the team was complacent? They just thought they were going to win and didnt give it their full attention? Also, Mack aint no slouch. If we have problems with fsu then I'll say we're in trouble....... I have a feeling Dabo walked in to team meeting s and gave them the ole " yeah, yall thought yall were all bad a$$es and you had your lunch handed too you. We gonna do this again?"

Oct 5, 2019, 9:20 AM

Interesting info from their DC.
Good time to have a bye week to iron out whatever deficiencies were involved with out offense last week whether self inflicted or just looks we haven't seen(probably both).
Knowing our staff and players, a game such as that should make us smarter and stronger.

so for anyone who doesn’t understand Xs & Os

Oct 5, 2019, 10:34 AM

The coach from UNC said, ”we thought we could whip the O-Line....and we did.”

It’s pretty much that simple.

believing our staff will get that corrected. our talent is too great.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Hmmmmmm....

Oct 5, 2019, 4:13 PM

how do you reconcile that? The mighty UNC football tar heels decided they could “whip” our offensive line... and yet “our talent is too great”.

It’s not too great. Waldo plays on our OL. A couple of Waldo’s actually.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 11:45 AM

Should the OCs have adjusted to get an extra blocker in the run game? I'm sure that is a simplistic view but we did not force the issue in the ground game.

Oct 5, 2019, 1:11 PM

Thank you Tar Heels for exposing us..
Unlike Nick Saban we don’t think “copycat” plays are illegal and actually self scout...

We were exposed and came away with the W still...

Coaching staff will adjust and we’ll be better for it

Oct 5, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: How UNC stopped the Clemson offense: Dare the Tigers to run, then stop it ]

When breaking down the stats of this game, I would say that they were almost even, to close to say either team had an advantage or a disadvantage. The butt kicker in the entire game is this, we out talent the Tar babies player for player at every position, but looking at the game stats you would think that the game was played by two evenly matched teams, and that is far from the truth bc it isn't even close bc the facts are we do out talent the tar babies across the board man for man, so what happen?

Dabo knew what happen, and he stated what happen as clear as he could, and I'm assuming that most thought he was making an excuse or attempting to take the heat off himself. He said that we were flat out out coached, and he was telling the honest truth, and with him being the HC he is part of that coaching, and not for a second was he pointing any fingers to take any of the responsibility away from himself bc he knew they had been out coached and Dabo admitted that. When looking at how the two teams match up talent wise, we were flat out out coached. Mack Brown got with his coaching staff and they came up with a plan that would equal the talent out by focusing on taking away our best players and they done a good enough job at that to give them a chance to win in the 4th Quarter, and they were almost successful!!! We were out coached, and the stats says that the better team was held in check, and the only way to achieve that against a better team, is to out coach the better team. Give Mack Brown a Ton of credit, he done his job, and he done well. Here are the stats that says that he done his job at equalizing all that talent of the defending NC.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401112467

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a Blueprint

Oct 5, 2019, 2:02 PM

For other teams to follow. You can’t cover everything so UNC placed their bets on being able to hold up against the run. And it worked. That to me has been the biggest deficiency in our offensive execution this year. Other than GT, we have not had a great deal of success running the ball. We have been throwing as much because we have to, not so much because we want to present a balanced front. And that is a big difference from last year. The ineffective run game is puzzling and must be solved for us to get to last year’s levels.

Oct 5, 2019, 2:07 PM

Insert some heavy packages and pound the rock.... play action off of it. Mix in tempo with 4 wides.

Oct 5, 2019, 10:32 PM

This. Hopefully this is a wake up call for Scelliott.

I would like to see our scheme evolve a little and show some creativity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice to see open opinions without constant attacking

Oct 5, 2019, 2:10 PM

Thank you UNC. Before last week it was impossible for someone to speak about coaches being “out coached “ or players getting their butts kicked without some coming off their soapbox and firing shots. Especially when we all watch the same game

Then an obvious conclusion would be O-Line did not play well***

Oct 5, 2019, 6:24 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 10:16 PM

We rushed the ball with RBs all of 4 times in the 2nd half. 3 of those rushes were for 5+ yards and then followed by a pass. The only thing that took away our rushing game was impatience by our play callers. I love our OCs but they had their worst game. Run. The. Dang. Ball.

Oct 6, 2019, 11:23 PM

Lets hope we got things corrected - need the OL to play like a top 5 OL which they have NOT done this year, need to quit trying to score on every play and take what is given to us, need to have focus which we did not have last week. Need to get some continuity on the offense - great to get so many people in but its time to start to look the part. Time to start this week against an FSU team full of players - don't look at last year. They are beginning to come back to form and you can bet will be ready to go on Saturday. Go Tigers

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well I hope nobody copycats this....cheaters..***

Oct 7, 2019, 2:23 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic