Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
History Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

History Question

May 1, 2018, 9:02 PM

With the onset of the annual "Would Dabo leave for Bama?" season, I've been curious about something. Were there any fears of Danny Ford being poached at the end of the Bryant era? I know it couldn't be anything like today's nonsense given the non-existence of social media, but there could've some blips somewhere.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: History Question

May 1, 2018, 9:11 PM

I remember hearing it talked about but I don’t think anyone that followed Clemson closely took it serious, just like no one takes Coach Swinney to BAMA serious.

May 1, 2018, 9:47 PM

It’s my understanding that CDF’s buyout included a clause that he could not accept another head coaching job for at least one year after leaving Clemson. That’s why he took the Arkansas job a year later instead of Bama

May 1, 2018, 10:09 PM

I remember a plane flying over Death Valley, during a game, pulling a banner that said something to the effect that Alabama wanted Danny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2018, 10:50 PM

Do people still fly banners over stadium?

May 2, 2018, 3:33 PM

Going to the beach used to fire me up because the banners would fly all day back in the day!! Wings had Ford canvass floats for $9.99 and 3 Ford beach towels for $10!! I would get so excited but never thought Danny was going to Bama!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 1, 2018, 10:19 PM

someone correct me if i'm wrong,but at some point danny was quoted as saying that:"if Alabama came calling,it would be like having your mamma calling you home from the field",so i'm sure he would have been giving the thought some serious consideration.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Think that's a Bear Bryant quote

May 1, 2018, 10:45 PM

from when he left A&M or Kentucky to go back to Alabama.

Re: Think that's a Bear Bryant quote

May 2, 2018, 3:24 PM

I think you are correct.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Gamecock fans made a whole fake Tiger

May 1, 2018, 10:47 PM

Stole all the legit copies they could find and left stacks of the fake ones around campus. Headline of Ford to Alabama. Still got a copy somewhere.

May 1, 2018, 10:59 PM

Alabama flew airplanes with banners over our stadium several times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

May 1, 2018, 11:36 PM

I remember that. As a college lad back then, i used to think that was so awesome. Usually only happened for big games. People would fly go Tigers, beat Carolina etc.

To answer the original question, I don’t remember ever being concerned about Danny leaving. Guess that’s why I’m not worried about Dabo leaving.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2018, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: History Question ]

I remember that. As a college lad back then, i used to think that was so awesome. Usually only happened for big games. People would fly go Tigers, beat Carolina etc.

To answer the original question, I don’t remember ever being concerned about Danny leaving. Guess that’s why I’m not worried about Dabo leaving.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2018, 12:25 AM

Bryant went out after 1982 and if you recall that was right as the NCAA hearings were going on and probation was announced for Clemson right before the end of the season. That made Danny less than desireable to Schools not named Clemson. He was still pretty young at that time and I think Bama wanted to go in a different direction.

As for planes flying banners it was an every game thing for years, “Plant Pennington Seed” was omnipresent for many years. Now the airspace is closed with the exception of flyovers. Death Valley is also a drone free zone. Does not mean one doesn’t get up there but they are not allowed by policy. Often times in the late 70’s and early 80’s there would be one or more hot air balloons launched and would fly over. WLOS in Asheville had a balloon that would be flown at games. The closest aircraft in a while was a couple of seasons ago when there was a helicopter hovering for filming in place of a blimp. I do not think the helicopter was allowed to be over the seating area but was close.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic