Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Two Tigers named Top 20 impact freshmen
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

TNET: Two Tigers named Top 20 impact freshmen

Feb 9, 2018, 11:35 AM

Two Tigers named Top 20 impact freshmen

There is already a lot expected from Clemson freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence. His No. 1 high school quarterback ranking has led Athlon Sports to name him o Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only questions about TL are how quickly will he pick

Feb 9, 2018, 11:53 AM

up the offense, and how quickly will he adjust to the speed and intensity of the game at this level. I think everything else is there, ready to go. I would also be surprised if Carman didn't play early and often. It's gonna be fun to watch.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think Xavier Thomas wil still get plenty of PT too.

Feb 9, 2018, 12:44 PM

He may already be an upgrade on Austin Bryant as far as putting pressure on the opposing QB on certain downs. Potter looks like he will have an impact too on kickoffs.

With Hyatt....

Feb 9, 2018, 1:04 PM

one one side and Carman on the other side a lot of pancakes are going to be served on the field.

Buckle up the 2018 season is going to be fun !

Austin Bryant will not be beaten out, he is an exceptional

Feb 9, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to I think Xavier Thomas wil still get plenty of PT too. ]

DE, and one who has shown improvement every year. With some improvement this year, he could move up to first rd draft prospect.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think in certain situations..

Feb 9, 2018, 2:45 PM

he may lose some snaps. Kind of slowish on 3rd an long when we needed a sack the 2nd half the years as I recall. XT looks like a different level of an athlete on video to me. We have to assume XT will be getting some series snaps as well. Great to keep everyone fresh anyway.

Re: I think in certain situations..

Feb 9, 2018, 9:18 PM

they may complement each other. each make the other better.

His most difficult challenge is rhythm with our WRs.

Feb 9, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to The only questions about TL are how quickly will he pick ]

I think he'll have the playbook by kickoff first game though we won't see much of his game for a few weeks.

I might be all wrong but I think he will take the starting job in three to five weeks. KB isn't Cole Stoud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Two Tigers named Top 20 impact freshmen

Feb 9, 2018, 1:14 PM

I'll keep saying it but it bears repeating...the most-important positions in football - in order - are QB, DE, and LT.

Clemson got all-World, once-in-a-blue-moon talents at all three spots. You can make an argument Clemson may have gotten the most talented-on-paper talents at those spots that it or maybe any other school in history has signed, in fact. (Well, maybe. I do remember Southern Cal signing some ridiculous classes back in the day, but this class is right there with any of those.)

Trevor Lawrence is the most insanely talented QB prospect I have ever personally seen coming out of high school.

Jackson Carman is by a bunch the most physically talented tackle prospect that has ever signed with Clemson...and it honestly isn't close. Barry Richardson (who was somehow a 2-star), Brandon Thomas, even Mitch Hyatt aren't in Carman's league, physically.

Xavier Thomas is right there with Daquon Bowers as the most-talented DE I have ever seen Clemson sign. But Clemson assuredly didn't sign two more ends like KJ Henry and Justin Mascoll the very same year Clemson signed Bowers.

These guys still have to go out and do it, mind, but nobody questions the talent.

Just to add to the fun, WRU added another two, legit, 5-star WR's? Alrightee then.

If these guys turn out like they might, it could conceivably take a single NFL team 5 or more years of first-round draft picks to acquire what Clemson just signed in a single class. The Miami Hurricanes had six guys - repeat (6)! - drafted in the first round in 2004...this class may or may not challenge that record, but it at least has a chance to.

Good luck, future opponents. You're gonna need it.

Dilly Dilly***

Feb 12, 2018, 9:16 AM

Feb 9, 2018, 1:54 PM

RT got exposed a lot last year and especially against Bama. I can def see Carman going after that RT starting position and some PT if anything. If he comes out in the spring and solidifies it like Hyatt did at LT his Fresh year it'll be something to watch. I also think John Simpson has the tools to be big time and a possible upgrade at LG or RG.

Feb 9, 2018, 2:40 PM

RT got exposed a lot last year and especially against Bama. I can def see Carman going after that RT starting position and some PT if anything. If he comes out in the spring and solidifies it like Hyatt did at LT his Fresh year it'll be something to watch. I also think John Simpson has the tools to be big time and a possible upgrade at LG or RG.

Agree. I think Carman starts at RT, and fairly quickly, and that bumps one of either Pollard or Anchrum inside.

Also agree about Simpson. I think Simpson winds up as our pulling guard - he's athletic enough for right tackle himself, honestly, he just doesn't like being in space, apparently. The "big" guard - which has been held down by Tyrone Crowder seemingly forever - would then be up for grabs.

Alternatively, you could bump Simpson over to Crowder's old right guard to put him alongside Carman and really put some massive beef on that side for the run, and maybe move Pollard - who definitely has the feet to play pulling guard - to the left (pulling) guard spot. That could be intriguing as well, and wouldn't just overload the right side, it would give you the ability to pull either direction, which very few teams can legitimately do.

Regardless, we're going to be really good on the OL this year.

As for JC......

Feb 12, 2018, 10:59 AM

By all accounts this will depend upon him getting in to College Football playing shape, as most analysts noted he will need to loose some weight and get stronger.

Re: As for JC......

Feb 12, 2018, 11:01 AM

They do say he is carrying his weight a bit loosely.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic