Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those who don't think Brownell is a good recruiter:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 3,303

For those who don't think Brownell is a good recruiter:

Feb 4, 2018, 3:18 PM

What do you think about Mitchell, Reed, Thomas, Donnal, and Skara? All of these guys are transfers, and play important roles for our team, especially Mitchell, Reed, and Thomas. Brownell deserves credit for recruiting them - just as much as if he had recruited and signed them out of high school.

By reading some of your posts, it sounds like a criticism of him that he had to sign them as transfers. Don't you realize that those guys were all wanted by plenty of other schools as well, and he had to recruit them to get them to sign with us?

It's a weird phenomenon that although we have a really talented team - one of our most talented ever from top to bottom - some of you can't seem to recognize that our head coach assembled the entire roster, all via recruiting.

So why do you continue to say that he needs to recruit better? Is it because you prioritize his first few years of recruiting at Clemson more than the last few years?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Brownell lives on transfers the way SEC football relies on

Feb 4, 2018, 3:36 PM

JUCO's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell lives on transfers the way SEC football relies on

Feb 4, 2018, 3:44 PM

Got that right! About the sec.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So did Cliff Ellis***

Feb 4, 2018, 5:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Brownell lives on transfers the way SEC football relies on ]

And what is wrong with that. Many young men have to go the juco route for grades. He gets players that have played outside of the high school setting and are showing their strengths. If he recruits good players why does it matter where they came from. Do we appreciate Reed etc any less. Do we want them to sit on the bench

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Just a point of clarification ... our transfers aren't JUCOs

Feb 4, 2018, 5:24 PM

Our guys this year are direct transfers from other schools who have sat out a year.

Reed, Mitchell, Thomas, Skara, and Donnal all had grades and scholarships at top schools like Vandy, Michigan, TAMU, Valpo, and even Robert Morris.

These are players who traditionally have not considered Clemson initially because they had "better" offers out of high school.

Something has changed in the image of Clemson's program that these guys decided it was worth leaving their first choice and sitting out a year in order to get in on the Clemson program.

That change ... IMHO ... has been increased commitment to building facilities.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Brownell lives on transfers the way SEC football relies on ]

And if he can become as successful doing it....more power to him

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Not a critic, but I think...

Feb 4, 2018, 3:43 PM

Brownell did a good job landing these transfer recruits and bringing in the current freshman class.
There has been concern previously that we had too many guys leaving the program (not going to list them here, but we had frequent transfers leaving for a while there) and that was putting us in a difficult place with recruiting.
I do think that program continuity is important and that guys like DeVoe are what you want more of. It looks like our current frosh class can be the nucleus of a really good team once our transfers are gone.
My biggest issue with Brownell recruiting is that we need a true center. There are certain matchups where we get killed down low because of a lack of interior depth. That is still a problem this year

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6 11 4 star coming in from Tenn next freshman class.***

Feb 4, 2018, 3:48 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did his Waze not work or is he avoiding ATL Traffic?

Feb 4, 2018, 3:58 PM

He's from Alabama. :)

The state of Alabama's top rated basketball player.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Best player in Bama, not from Tenn., I stand corrected!***

Feb 4, 2018, 4:36 PM

Re: For those who don't think Brownell is a good recruiter:

Feb 4, 2018, 4:08 PM

I don't think Brownell relates well with the HS kids, and he does better with the guys that has been at the college level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His first six years here is what he had to sell:

Feb 4, 2018, 4:15 PM

Outdated facilities
Lack of administrative support for basketball
Lukewarm fans
Worst basketball tradition in the ACC

Now he can show them new facilities and an administration that cares about basketball. Those both help a lot. Interestingly, he has had better recruiting classes the last couple of cycles.

I don’t think it is that he relates poorly to high school players. If he did, we wouldn’t have narrowly missed on some very good players. Rather, it came down to guys choosing a school based on winning tradition and facilities, and when it comes to that, we tended to lose.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

There's a lot more evidence that suggests he's not a good

Feb 4, 2018, 4:10 PM

recruiter than there is to suggest he is.

Our current roster shows that he can recruit.***

Feb 4, 2018, 4:17 PM

It took him 8 years to get to this.

Feb 4, 2018, 5:14 PM

By all means he deserves credit for putting this team together, but one year of relative success does not make him a good recruiter.

I fully understand the challenges he has faced recruiting at Clemson. I understand that transfers are a part of recruiting. There simply is no established pattern of recruiting success over time. I hope there will be, and even think there's a good chance there will be; we just aren't there yet.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I can't think of a single year, save maybe for KJ's foregone

Feb 4, 2018, 4:31 PM

senior season or CBB's first, that our talent level and depth hasn't been better year after year, this season certainly no exception, with next year set to do the same.

It hasn't been lights out, but I've seen a winning roster here for some years now, and trending upwards at each tick.

I think Brownell's emphasis has evolved some too over the years away from the over-emphasis on D and a little looser on offense. He also doesn't seem quite as uptight.

I don't know. This year's success doesn't seem like a fluke. There's a lot of talented guys on that roster and they're playing with a lot of heart, with a lot coming back back next year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 4:39 PM

the facility upgrades were a huge boost it is no coincidence we are better getting players now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2018, 4:52 PM

Taking transfers is very very common in today's basketball. There are few teams that don't! So you know nothing of what you speak

you don't think facilities enter into transfers decisions***

Feb 4, 2018, 4:56 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Littlejohn Coliseum, home of the Clemson Tiger...

Feb 4, 2018, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: For those who don't think Brownell is a good recruiter: ]

Football tailgate radio show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Feb 4, 2018, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: For those who don't think Brownell is a good recruiter: ]

Haye to agree with Balm but he nailed it.

Feb 4, 2018, 5:08 PM

Hate, sorry

An apologetic hater. +1 for you.***

Feb 4, 2018, 5:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he gets credit for transfers both in and out of the

Feb 4, 2018, 7:08 PM

program. If he can continue bringing in transfers like reed and Mitchell then I’m all for it but I also want to see him start bringing in some 4 and 5 Star hs players. Hopefully he can benefit from our new facilities.

You mean four star players like Amir Simms and AJ Oliver?***

Feb 4, 2018, 7:14 PM

That’s a start.***

Feb 4, 2018, 7:42 PM

5 stars wind up at about 6-7 schools total

Feb 4, 2018, 7:19 PM [ in reply to he gets credit for transfers both in and out of the ]

And you know who they are. But we're getting 4 stars every year now, and can definitely win that way. UVA has zero 5 stars

Replies: 27
| visibility 3,303
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic