Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: DeAndre Hopkins 2013 NFL Draft Profile
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: DeAndre Hopkins 2013 NFL Draft Profile

Apr 16, 2013, 4:34 PM

DeAndre Hopkins 2013 NFL Draft Profile

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"High point" - add that to the list of annoying, over-used

Apr 16, 2013, 4:57 PM

phrases.

What exactly does it mean for a player to catch the ball at it's "high point" or that they "high point the ball"? Does a receiver have a choice of which point along it's arc he is going to catch it? It appears to me that a receiver catches the ball at whatever point it's at along it's arc when it reaches him, unless he "runs under" a long bomb. Now, maybe they are saying that a player gets off the ground and/or extends himself really well by reaching overhead to snag passes that are thrown a bit too high, whether the ball is at it's "high point" or not. If so, why don't they just say that he's really good at snagging high passes?

Anyway, I think Nuk (pronounced "Nuke") is a great receiver and does have great hands and is as good at any Clemson player I've ever seen at catching high-thrown passes, and I'm glad he's getting good reviews.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: "High point" - add that to the list of annoying, over-used

Apr 16, 2013, 5:17 PM

High-pointing is a term that describes going up to catch (particularly a deep ball) at its highest point instead of allowing it to continue into the receiver's hands as he continues to run his route. It is a teachable skill, but some players, like Nuk, just have a knack or feel for it. It limits the DB's chances of breaking up a pass. Don't know why the term bothers you so much. It is pretty clear from it's descriptive name.

Nuk also does a great job of driving back to the ball on curls, outs, and comebacks as well as picking the ball out in front of his body which also limits a DB's chances of breaking up the play. His route running and his knack for playing the ball in the air (whether on a deep ball or shorter routes) are going to set him apart at the next level. Barring injury he's gonna be a really good one for some NFL team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the problem with the phrase is more that

Apr 16, 2013, 5:19 PM

your not really catching it at its "highest point"

Exactly.***

Apr 16, 2013, 5:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I think the problem with the phrase is more that

Apr 16, 2013, 5:28 PM [ in reply to I think the problem with the phrase is more that ]

No, but if you are going up and getting it, you are catching it at your highest point of access to it. If you guys have a better term, the. Sweet, but I see the clear signs of the off-season when this is the topic of debate on TNet:)

I saw a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about

Apr 16, 2013, 5:41 PM

most over-used annoying sports phrases. I could not think of it then, but this thread reminded me. It's a relatively new term, and has quickly become one that falls into the over-used, annoying category (in my opinion). And yes, slow times for real sports news on T-net I guess!

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I saw a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about

Apr 16, 2013, 5:51 PM

It's not a new term. When I was playing in the '80's and 90's it was being used widely. Again, if you can think of a more appropriate term the. Maybe you can start a trend of precision amongst sports terminology, but high-pointing seems really straight forward to me. I did receive the vast majority of my formal education in the state of South Carolina, so I concede I may be missing something.

Re: I think the problem with the phrase is more that- yep

Apr 16, 2013, 6:02 PM [ in reply to I think the problem with the phrase is more that ]

you catch it at the highest point you can reach it. It is on the way down from its apex (or true high point) by then

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's the highest point at which the ball can be caught

Apr 16, 2013, 8:26 PM [ in reply to I think the problem with the phrase is more that ]

so I think you're misunderstanding what's being said.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I understand whats being said***

Apr 17, 2013, 8:56 AM

So, it's going up high to battle for an underthrown deep

Apr 16, 2013, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: "High point" - add that to the list of annoying, over-used ]

ball; though not really at it's "high point".

- H. L. Mencken

Re: So, it's going up high to battle for an underthrown deep

Apr 16, 2013, 8:06 PM

I thought high point was the point where Stephen Garcia went from a buzz to drunk!

that's one that makes a very good point

Apr 16, 2013, 8:24 PM [ in reply to "High point" - add that to the list of annoying, over-used ]

just like a power forward in basketball who can time his jumps to make rebounds at the ball's "high point," a WR with some ups and timing is going to pick a lot of jump balls out of the air.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's comforting for QBs to be able to throw it

Apr 17, 2013, 10:18 AM [ in reply to "High point" - add that to the list of annoying, over-used ]

as high as possible to avoid interceptions if they have someone who can go up that high and get it.

See the Catch I.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think most.."experts"... have Hopkins as..

Apr 16, 2013, 8:33 PM

an early 2nd round pick

I've heard mid first at best, early second at worst***

Apr 16, 2013, 9:19 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic