Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey uproar84, re: Tillman Hall....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 525

Hey uproar84, re: Tillman Hall....

Jul 19, 2015, 9:23 AM

On the mange, you said "renaming things is not erasing history... It's correcting a wrong. Don't be a simpleton."

Where does one draw the line at renaming, and how great does that wrong need to be?

George Washington - While his initial slaves were willed to him at age 11. He continued to purchase additional slaves throughout his life and owned slaves for more than 50 years. It was very clear in historical record that Washington used harsh punishment including whippings on his slaves. On multiple occasions he sold a family member to a foreign buyer so they'd never see their family again.

Thomas Jefferson - The younger male slaves (10-12) where whipped to get them to work in the nail factory. Jefferson also realized that slaves were a stable financial investment and could appreciate, like head of cattle. He recommended investing in "negros" for future stability.

Abraham Lincoln - During the Douglas debates, he stated: "I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races....” He went on to say that he opposed blacks having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites.

Our nation has an ugly past with people who did good and bad things. So where does one draw the line? Should we rename everything where there was any negative action?

Should we rename all the MLK streets and monuments because he cheated on his wife?

Please, use the view from your high horse to show us simpletons the moral line.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, weren't you building a cobra replica?

Jul 19, 2015, 10:28 AM

Did you ever finish it?

Re: Hey, weren't you building a cobra replica?

Jul 19, 2015, 11:11 AM

Moved twice. Had two kids. Got a huge promotion at work.

I've got about 80 hours worth of body work to do and then finish the interior.

Re: Hey, weren't you building a cobra replica?

Jul 20, 2015, 8:33 AM

Hey, you gotta get your priorities straight !

I'd say draw the line at when someone leads the charge

Jul 19, 2015, 10:31 AM

against a whole race of people by advocating violent intimidation and murder like Tillman, Hitler, or Mussolini.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd say draw the line at when someone leads the charge

Jul 19, 2015, 11:11 AM

Is violent intimidation against blacks (the slaves) not what Washington and Jefferson did?

Not sure, I've heard conflicting things, but slavery in

Jul 19, 2015, 11:29 AM

itself, is violent intimidation I guess. Neither of those led the political charge for all white people to commit acts of murder against blacks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I'm certain no slaves died as a result of being captiv***

Jul 19, 2015, 8:30 PM

I'm sure some did. So?***

Jul 20, 2015, 12:01 PM

Re: Not sure, I've heard conflicting things, but slavery in

Jul 20, 2015, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Not sure, I've heard conflicting things, but slavery in ]

All whites weren't politicians either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who contest his efforts?

Jul 20, 2015, 6:45 AM [ in reply to I'd say draw the line at when someone leads the charge ]

It's not as if anybody but blacks opposed his political stand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, you're really saying that no whites were against

Jul 20, 2015, 12:01 PM

murdering blacks to keep them from voting, etc.?

That seems like a pretty good principle to me

Jul 20, 2015, 11:22 AM [ in reply to I'd say draw the line at when someone leads the charge ]

We don't need to get rid of everybody who was flawed, but the people who were superlatively bad examples of a historically flawed way of thinking shouldn't be honored today. Of course, some people might think any southern leader would qualify as "superlative" in that way, but it seems like to me that there's a clear difference between someone like Tillman who led racist terrorism and someone like Calhoun who was trying to rationalize slavery along humane lines.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old Main Hall is the historical name. Not Tillman Hall.***

Jul 20, 2015, 7:43 AM

LULZ, GET YOUR FAX STRAIGHT THIS IS ABOUT NOT LETTING THE

Jul 20, 2015, 7:51 AM

MAN TELL US WHAT TO DO AND RE-RIGHT HISTORY TILLMAN WAS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN WHO JUST GOT INVOLVED IN SOME STUFF THAT NOWDAYS WOULD BE CONSIDERED BAD. YOU PC PEOPLE ALWAYS WANTING TO CHANGE NAMES, REMOVE FLAGS, END RACISM, FEED THE HUNGRY, HEEL THE SICK. THE BIBLE SAYS THOU SHALL NOT RENAME HISTORICAL BUILDINGS ITS IN EXODOUS.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 525
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic