Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Brad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,711

Thoughts on Brad

Feb 25, 2017, 9:08 PM

I've seen it thrown around that Tommy Bowden and Brad are similar coaches and that's why we need to get rid of Brad, I've even made the comparison myself. However there's one key difference that should not be ignored. Yes I know some of you will say "well results is what we care about" and I understand that but hear me out.

Clemson is one of the best football programs in the nation with rabid fans and great facilities. Good football coaches WILL win at Clemson. Even before Dabo brought us up to the elite level we are at now we still had major advantages over everyone in the conference not named FSU. In basketball its nearly the opposite. ACC basketball is almost ALWAYS the best in the country. Last year we broke win records for the NCAA tourney. There are 6 ranked teams with 2 more receiving votes right now. It's hard to build a programs to greater heights when most of the conference should be better than you.
Recruiting Rankings:
2013: 14th ACC 74th overall Season Result 11th ACC
2014: 12th ACC 72nd overall Result 6th ACC
2015: 12th ACC 79th overall Result 11th ACC
2016: 15th ACC 106th overall Result 8th ACC
2017: 7th ACC 38th overall So far 12th ACC
2018: A shot at one of the best players in the country

As you can see Brad has really out performed his fellow ACC coaches in coaching. And I understand that as HC he's responsible for building recruiting which all but last year he's done a bad job. But now he has a new stadium, his best recruiting class, and an elite player interested in possibly coming here to play. Is it really a smart move to dump a bunch of money canning a coach when he could be a year or two from raising the bar for Clemson?

Also keep in mind that a single player can turn a team around in basketball and Brad has that type of player interested in us right now. To be fair I've hardly watched any basketball this year but what I did see we played ok. It's apparent that our competitors have better players though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, I'm still sticking with my 20 year plan too.

Feb 25, 2017, 9:17 PM

I've just never had anyone finance me thru the ups and downs.

the only thing that is like Bowden is he chooses to live &

Feb 25, 2017, 9:19 PM

die with Dijte & Granthon like TB died with Spence.He is more like Jack Legget to me.He has good players but continues to lose by making the same mistakes over & over & will always be out couched on game day by every coach he goes against.If he is back next year,that won't change

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But at least Leggett achieved something.***

Feb 25, 2017, 9:23 PM

Re: Thoughts on Brad

Feb 25, 2017, 9:20 PM

Coach BB isn't going anywhere and the tnetters who are calling for his head are showing their ignorance of the situation. None of this negative trash will help our program grow. Bringing in Mitchell and Reed shows me that coach knows what he is doing. It's obvious that Thomas will be a big time player sooner than later. Holmes and Devoe are players too. The right guy can take the Tigers to the top half of the league right away. If you know basketball you can see a team in the making.

I like your attitude but loosing the close games

Feb 25, 2017, 9:58 PM

is coaching,not talent.if BB continues to make the same mistakes over &over ,the results will be the same

Re: I like your attitude but loosing the close games

Feb 25, 2017, 10:39 PM

Game scores are always a combination of coaching and talent. It doesn't matter if they're close or not. His peers HAD better facilities, still have better tradition, and still have better players but he's still kept his team higher in the standings than our talent level.

0-9...ZERO AND NINE ...this year in ACC games decided by 6 points or less***

Feb 25, 2017, 10:46 PM [ in reply to I like your attitude but loosing the close games ]

I'm afraid the "right guy" you're looking for is a

Feb 26, 2017, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts on Brad ]

head coach.

I'm sorry, but CBB's game management is not improving as it should - and his ability to coach a finish, whether it's a game or a season, also continues to languish. This is far enough time to reveal that flaw, and while he's been above average in other areas, he's not setting the world on fire in any single department. Clemson can do better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2017, 10:14 PM

I completely agree with your comments. With the university now investing a little more in basketball, it's very likely that Brownell will slowly turn it around.

Feb 26, 2017, 8:47 AM

At the rate CBB is moving on recruiting I will be nearly 100 yrs. old by the time he gets anywhere! I am tired of poor BB results over the last seven seasons and at age 63 plus am ready for a significant upgrade in attitude, ability and desire to succeed. Brownell lacks an ability to motivate and coach in critical outcomes. 0-9 is not what he indicated as expectations for this year. Time for a fresh start!

Go Tigers!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,711
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic