Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is John Oliver?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 5,061

Who is John Oliver?

Mar 16, 2015, 10:30 PM

Seriously, I've never heard of him and neither have 99% of Americans. He is a nobody and he has a show on a channel most people don't watch. His opinion doesn't matter.

Next.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Who is John Oliver?

Mar 16, 2015, 10:33 PM

I would say more than 1% of americans know who he is.

he spun off the daily show with jon stewart and got his own comedy faux news show on HBO.

Speaking for myself, he is funny, but rather annoying. None the less, being on HBO allows him to say whatever without peeing off advertisers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 16, 2015, 10:35 PM

I never heard of him before this morning .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 16, 2015, 10:36 PM

welp, sounds like he is promoting himself well with unpopular speech.

Why Dabo? Wonder if he has a connection to FFRF

Mar 17, 2015, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Who is John Oliver? ]

or is a sympathizer?? Dabo certainly isn't the only coach against paying athletes.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Why Dabo? Wonder if he has a connection to FFRF

Mar 17, 2015, 6:17 PM

the only reason he used swinney's sound bite was because he got politcal in an interview when broached with the topic.

I do not like swinney for his politics, but for the kind of man he is and what he has done for our program, and understand that will ultimately put him under a finer microscope.

But in all due respect, and whether you agree with him or not, CDB should probably leave his politics at home when conducting a sports related interview. Not that he should not be able to speak his mind, but people will use it against him.

His show is actually pretty good.

Mar 16, 2015, 10:39 PM

The stories he does aren't always the ones dominating the mainstream Faux/CNN/NBC etc, etc ticker but are eye opening. Obviously, a person watching his show has to be open minded and a interested in more than just getting their daily dose of how a or b party is ruining things.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that what you learned from this episode?

Mar 17, 2015, 11:06 AM

You'd think what people would learn from this is that when you actually know something about what these comedian "news anchor" people are talking about, you realize that they're full of #### and they just get by through making fun of anything they disagree with. That can be funny, but don't confuse the humor with reliable insight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reliable insight? It's called "fake news" for a reason

Mar 17, 2015, 11:32 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_satire

Except it isn't fake news

Mar 17, 2015, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure if you've watched Oliver's show- or, actually, the Daily Show- but they're not reporting fake news. Stewart's show is supposed to be a satire of a nightly news show, but there's nothing "fake" about the points he's making through satire. And, in fact, he's often very serious on the show.

Satire isn't being "fake," it's making a serious point through ridicule or humor. So the problem is that so many people watch these shows and find them more reliable sources on the news than the actual news- partly because of the success of the satire in making people feel ironic about the real news.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the end, it boils down to intelligence of the audience

Mar 17, 2015, 12:35 PM

Anyone who accepts any commentator, comical or otherwise, as undeniable fact needs a reality check. Whether one watches Fox New or The Daily Show, they should always question and do their own fact-finding; and use the entirety of human history and information sources that are freely available on the internet to make informed, educated decisions for themselves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be that as it may, lots of intelligent people are swayed

Mar 18, 2015, 5:16 PM

by the indirect political nudgings of guys like Jon Stewart. A LOT of people would vote for him for real president. He is HUGELY influential. Yet he always pretends that his show is fake news anytime someone attempts to call him out for something.

His agenda is very real. So is Oliver's.

Re: Be that as it may, lots of intelligent people are swayed

Mar 18, 2015, 6:18 PM

As they should be, hence the word "intelligent".

Re: Except it isn't fake news

Mar 17, 2015, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Except it isn't fake news ]

well that, and comedy central does not bend over for its advertisters the way the "legut" cable news networks do. UP until a point, I imagine they expected them to be otoo dumb to understand what the show was about to begin with, maybe the cat is out of the bag now.

Re: Except it isn't fake news

Mar 17, 2015, 7:02 PM [ in reply to Except it isn't fake news ]

I've had people tell me straight up that they don't like Stewart, but they like Colbert because he's conservative....not realizing that he's essentially a Hannity caricature.

In a lot of ways, I think what they do is valuable. I do think sometimes that their critiques (tongue in cheek or not) of the left are forced. They'd be better off not acting like they cared about critiquing both sides when it's pretty clear which political figures and ideas are squarely in the crosshairs.

Re: Is that what you learned from this episode?

Mar 17, 2015, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Is that what you learned from this episode? ]

They're certainly opinionated but that doesn't necessarily mean what they say isn't true or insightful. It just depends on how you feel about the subject or, in this case, how well you can accept criticism of someone you like. Many on this site have shown over the past two days or so that pretty much anything will get their panties into an incredibly tight bunch. Personally, while I don't necessarily agree with Oliver 100% and am not a big fan of cutting up the quote from Dabo in the manner that he did, I still chuckled. Soybean Wind is definitely clever IMO.

But you're definitely right-on with Oliver in the sense that his show is much different than the Daily Show or Colbert. Since it's only on once a week, they often choose a few subjects, usually several short current & one long general, and point out problems they see. Whether you agree with them or not, they're usually very well done and what I like about them is that they often don't deal with the major looming subject in the USA at the moment and point out things maybe we wouldn't recognize. This is an example of something that has been affecting me greatly over the past year+ which maybe some aren't aware of (short):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z29XCQjMEqA

And perhaps something many aren't aware of (long):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIMgfBZrrZ8

IMO, he's very good. If others disagree, that's fine...but I feel like most of the people here have no clue who he is and are screaming from the mountaintops due to a light barb at Dabo.

Mar 17, 2015, 4:19 PM

the second juan is a good story.

Mar 17, 2015, 4:46 PM

For sure. The stuff he brings up are usually interesting--and often infuriating. This one in particular drove me insane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Mar 17, 2015, 4:59 PM

it is big down here, especially if you are a tourist.

Mar 17, 2015, 5:06 PM

Wow, I could certainly understand why. It's unlikely it would make economic sense for tourists to stay in the area to fight for their possessions unless they were very valuable.

Mar 18, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Is that what you learned from this episode? ]

Couldn't have said it better sir! Your dead on target. So he took a shot at Dabo, so what. Dabo is not Nationally Relevant so it comes with the territory. That is far, far better than being unknown. Nobody takes shot at the nobody's. As for Oliver, more people need to listen to what he says. Your 2 examples are WHY people should listen.

Cable news have been bought and paid for by corporate advertisers. Fox has it's agenda as does CNN and MSNBC. Stewart, Cobert and Oliver tell the truth about things most won't touch. Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh are entertainers. They live by feeding off of underlying hatred and ignorance.

My money says that Dabo sort of liked being sniped at by HBO. Clemson is a national football power. Happy to take the shots for that.

Go Tigers!

Mar 18, 2015, 5:48 PM

..."now" nationally relevant.

Do yourself a favor

Mar 16, 2015, 11:00 PM

Focus on who the Tigers are and not on someone you never heard of before.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a Wal-Mart brand Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert.

Mar 16, 2015, 11:12 PM

His shtick is sarcasm-drenched holier-than-thou smart-ass rants, while never exposing his own faults or short-comings. Just a professional hypocritical s**t-talker who woos faux-intellectuals with just enough humor to distract them from his lack of genuinely thoughtful commentary

So essentially he is HBO's answer to

Mar 16, 2015, 11:17 PM

O'Reilly and Hannity....:)

Re: So essentially he is HBO's answer to

Mar 16, 2015, 11:24 PM

Don't know who those two are either , but I bet they are the Grand Marshals of some Irish Parade tomorrow.

DB23

If either do, you will be able to buy a mug or

Mar 16, 2015, 11:27 PM

T shirt about it the next day.

He's infinitely funnier than O'Reilly and infinitely smarter

Mar 16, 2015, 11:32 PM [ in reply to So essentially he is HBO's answer to ]

than Hannity. But he's still a #####. I equate him with O'reilly, but not Hannity. Hannity has the wit of a used condom.

Re: He's infinitely funnier than O'Reilly and infinitely smarter

Mar 16, 2015, 11:43 PM

With a fraction of their ratings.
Another limey reject like Piers Morgan.

Who keeps up with ratings?

Mar 16, 2015, 11:53 PM

lol....."with a fraction of what their ratings".....too funny.

Wrong

Mar 17, 2015, 4:21 AM [ in reply to He's infinitely funnier than O'Reilly and infinitely smarter ]

Hannity knows that an AR15 isnt an "Assault" rifle, and shows this on his show. Which means hes 100% smarter than this fool. Hes funny, no doubt, but speaks on things he has no clue about. Its the writers, not him.

Liberals are smart, Conservatives are stoopid. Everybody knows that. ***

Mar 17, 2015, 8:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

He's also a Climate Change denier, which is moronic

Mar 17, 2015, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Wrong ]

Hannity On New Climate Change Study: "I Don't Care" What Over 9100 Scientists Say

Idiot.

Hannity is correct about Gun Rights only by accident.

Mar 17, 2015, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Wrong ]

He's an entirely thoughtless parrot. He is merely a collection of talking points.

O'Rielly is an intelligent person who is capable of actual thought.

Re: He's infinitely funnier than O'Reilly and infinitely smarter

Mar 17, 2015, 8:14 AM [ in reply to He's infinitely funnier than O'Reilly and infinitely smarter ]

You can't equate Oliver with O'Reilly and Hannity. Apples and Oranges. Oliver is an ultra liberal idiot.

Re: He's a Wal-Mart brand Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert.

Mar 17, 2015, 4:20 PM [ in reply to He's a Wal-Mart brand Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert. ]

Never exposes his own faults or shortcomings? Steward & Oliver do that regularly. The only reason Colbert never (directly) did it was because that was his schtick...but even then he did it implicitly through his comments.

Mar 17, 2015, 6:12 PM

What I meant by never expose their own shortcomings is that they always hide behind the veil of "fake news" and humor. They are intellectual cowards because they spend all their time tearing down others and contributing nothing original on their own.

Mar 18, 2015, 12:02 AM

Humor is based on making witty observations, which they do as well as anyone. There's nothing cowardly about what they do, at all.

Are you sure you just don't have a different political view?

Is that kind of like asking "what's Game of Thrones?"

Mar 17, 2015, 11:10 AM

Nobody watches that, since it's on HBO, right? I'm sure nobody watched True Detective, since that was on HBO, too. Being on HBO is probably why nobody's heard of The Wire, also.

The thing is, lots of people know who John Oliver is because of his stint on The Daily Show and, yes, because of his show on HBO. Acting like people shouldn't know who he is just shows that you're out of touch, no matter how silly some of his segments on his show may be.

Re: Is that kind of like asking "what's Game of Thrones?"

Mar 17, 2015, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine that people think he's some no-name or that his show isn't wildly successful or acclaimed. He's hilarious (thanks to his writers) and generally his "main rants" make me think (FIFA corruption, pay-for-play doctors, etc.). As a Tiger, I didn't love seeing him pile on Dabo, but who really cares? You can't take a satire "news" show and its agenda all that seriously folks!

I'm with you for most of that

Mar 17, 2015, 11:21 AM

The problem is that the people who like the comedy news shows take what the anchors think very seriously, but then whenever people disagree with what's said on the shows, they resort to the "it's just a joke" thing. I definitely agree that the overreaction to the segment is just as dumb as people who believe they're getting great insight into the news from people like John Oliver.

Well, it is just a joke

Mar 17, 2015, 11:39 AM

I think people forget that the genre is "fake news". Some of these anchors feature completely fictional personas (John Oliver, Colbert, etc) that don't represent how they actually are as people. The whole facade of these shows is to mock stupid things that politicians and prominent members of the public are saying or doing.

Despite the genre featuring lots of exaggeration, fiction, and humor, it's nice to know that the government and the high rollers have someone to chide them for their screwups.

I prefer The Daily Show and liked Colbert better, but John Oliver has a good show from time to time.

Is it "just a joke," or is the point to mock stupid things?

Mar 17, 2015, 12:32 PM

The thing is, jokes that are intended to "chide [the government and the high rollers] for their screw-ups" are actually jokes intended to make serious points. So it isn't "just a joke," unless you're including intended social commentary under "just." And far too many who watch these shows know so little about what's being talked about that they think the point being made through the satire is always "spot on," to quote a friend who's in a PhD program (who knows nothing about college sports) who shared Oliver's clip about the NCAA on facebook. Was it "just a joke" to her? Is Oliver only joking about how stupid Dabo must be because of what he said in the clip Oliver used?

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Re: I think he is a

Mar 17, 2015, 9:00 PM
HB (2).png(84.9 K)

well .....this

just a lefty using comedy..

Mar 17, 2015, 10:11 PM

to distort the youths mind by using swear words and what not in telling what is going on in the world.

Mar 17, 2015, 11:14 PM

It is comedy, relax. As for no one hearing of him, he has the 6th highest rated tv show of all time on IMDB.

Mar 18, 2015, 8:11 PM

No such thing as bad publicity. Thanks random victim of English dental care / HBO ghetto daily show shill! Dabo can run for Governor with a few more lefty cheap shots under his belt.

Replies: 46
| visibility 5,061
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic