Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Recruiting Update: Clemson signee wins 4th straight wrestling title
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Football Recruiting Update: Clemson signee wins 4th straight wrestling title

Mar 1, 2015, 9:53 AM

Clemson signee wins 4th straight wrestling title

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats Gage Cervenka

Mar 1, 2015, 9:57 AM

Just an Awesome Career...WOW

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Awesome fast twitch responses & short burst power in DL body

Mar 1, 2015, 10:01 AM

He'll be a good one. :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bring that mentality to Clemson young man!! Congratulations***

Mar 1, 2015, 10:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strength. Leverage. = Power

Mar 1, 2015, 10:50 AM

Can't wait till our line is pushing others 2 - 3 yards off the line for a change.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

I never say this about a recruit, because I don't truly know

Mar 1, 2015, 11:29 AM

their mindset, but I believe Gage is severly under-rated.

He's going to be Grady Jarrett 2.0.

Wrestlers translate at the D-line. Height doesn't really matter as much as leverage, which he knows how to achieve and I actually believe he can put on a bit more good weight.

He dominated in the Marine Corp All Star game.

Cervenka was a steal!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

this ^^^

Mar 1, 2015, 11:38 AM

My thoughts exactly. In the trenches, give me a guy that has spent HOURS learning to beat someone else using leverage as well as power.

I also agree that his frame can carry 300 without being too bulky.

Re: this ^^^

Mar 1, 2015, 12:18 PM

Actually , he's spent YEARS!. and yes, I agree. Who was the Clemson DL, late 70's -Early 80's who was a wrestling champ? Not very fast, but lightning quick. I thought t was Chester McGlockton, but his bio doesn't mention it.

Re: I never say this about a recruit, because I don't truly know

Mar 1, 2015, 2:56 PM [ in reply to I never say this about a recruit, because I don't truly know ]

I could not agree with you more. Gage is strong as heck and his heart cannot be measured, not only because it is impossible to quantify, but also because even if it was, his would be off the charts

Re: I never say this about a recruit, because I don't truly know

Mar 1, 2015, 3:19 PM [ in reply to I never say this about a recruit, because I don't truly know ]

> their mindset, but I believe Gage is severly
> under-rated.
>
> He's going to be Grady Jarrett 2.0.
>
> Wrestlers translate at the D-line. Height doesn't
> really matter as much as leverage, which he knows how
> to achieve and I actually believe he can put on a bit
> more good weight.
>
> He dominated in the Marine Corp All Star game.
>
> Cervenka was a steal!!

I'll believe that when I see it. I disagree because I thought his performance in the Semper Fidelis All Star Bowl was very underwhelming. He has a chance to be a good one but he'll need time to develop IMO.

What did you watch? He was doubled several plays....***

Mar 1, 2015, 4:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Recruiting Update: Clemson signee wins 4th straight wrestling title

Mar 1, 2015, 4:04 PM

Congrats! Maybe another Grady Jarrett type player, and that would be awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Recruiting Update: Clemson signee wins 4th straight wrestling title

Mar 1, 2015, 4:06 PM

Congrats

Mar 1, 2015, 6:18 PM

Congrats!! Keep up the good work.

This will be an interesting player for sure

Mar 1, 2015, 6:30 PM

A guy that I work with is heavily involved with high school wrestling and has been for years. He coaches wrestling and has had a son also involved in wrestling. He knows Gage quite well had has followed his career through all four years in high school. He told me that Gage is an incredible athlete and very strong. He said he witnessed Gage life a wrestle who weighed 250+ over his head in a match! I told him "no way" but he stated that it indeed did did happen, not just lifting this wrestler up to chest height, but over his head. Still hard to believe but the man is a very straight forward and honest guy. I too believe that he was a steal and could turn out to really good at the DT position. Hopefully he can further his strength and conditioning at Clemson with the weight program.

Mar 1, 2015, 8:43 PM

As a former wrestler, it a quite common to lift an opponent over you head or even throw them. A guy with his size and skill could throw a Buick.

He's gonna be an awesome addition to our wrestling program..

Mar 1, 2015, 7:07 PM

oh wait

Mar 1, 2015, 9:19 PM

Amazing feat

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FD Wrestling

Mar 2, 2015, 1:00 PM

Good to see my high school (Fort Dorchester HS, in North Charleston) is still winning wrestling championships! The other kid, John pictured with Gage, has a FD shirt on...assuming he won in a different weight class.

Good for them, congrats!

Wrestling takes a lot of discipline in addition to all the..

Mar 2, 2015, 1:14 PM

physical tools. If he continues to work as hard at football as wrestling, I can see him becoming a dominant D-lineman, just like Grady. I think he would be delighted to prove all the gurus wrong that rated him as a 3 star player. Does everyone understand what it takes for a freshman to win a state title - in any weight division! Unreal!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he won Nationals last year, does he go for Olympic next?

Mar 2, 2015, 1:43 PM

I'm not familiar with the disciplines, but maybe someone who is could comment. Thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he won Nationals last year, does he go for Olympic next?

Mar 3, 2015, 3:36 AM

I believe the report was saying that he won the SC STATE championship, not Nationals. And honestly, it's been so long, I no longer know for sure, but, typically, the highest accolades in high school wrestling are "limited" to state titles, i.e.: they occur within context of regional Section and State Championships. "Nationals" would be the NCAA tournament, which, of course, is at the collegiate level. Olympic competition, again typically, would follow college. Wrestling, as a sport, is rather unique (oh yeah, it's unique alright!), in that both teams and individuals win National Championships. (Like OSU won the NC, and Vic Beasley might have won the NC as DE, etc.) But to win a state title in wrestling (even in SC), in any weight class, requires not only strength, leverage and quickness, but also the mind of a chess grand master and places you among the elite of national athletes - let alone four years in a row! (!!!...!!!...!!!) This guy breathes S&C, has the "moves", and knows what's required to win. I just hope he brings it to the next level. As my old wrestling coach used to say, "you gott'a wann'a!"

Re: If he won Nationals last year, does he go for Olympic next?

Mar 3, 2015, 11:06 AM [ in reply to If he won Nationals last year, does he go for Olympic next? ]

I believe there are matches/meets that cross state lines, but as far as I know the state of SC is not involved. The overall level/caliber of wrestling in this state(as w/ most of the south) is not highly regarded by the wrestling collective.
Cervenka should come in with a great understanding of leverage and highly superior functional strength.

Found this. Link:

Mar 3, 2015, 11:20 AM

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/hs/285***

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic