Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D Hop
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,741

D Hop

Nov 16, 2020, 1:13 PM

Getting lots of love on the NFL shows. And rightly so. Texans must feel really stupid letting him go for Johnson!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D Hop

Nov 16, 2020, 1:18 PM

Especially since that Texans only were able to score 7 points yesterday.

Nov 16, 2020, 1:20 PM

That trade seems crazy on the surface, but that's without knowing the reason. Hopkins was demanding a new contract which is something the Cardinals gave him after trading for him. Houston couldn't afford to pay him what he was asking, especially not after giving a new contract to Watson. Not only that, but most of the other teams in the league also couldn't afford what he was asking. The only reason the Cardinals could do so is because their QB is still on a rookie deal. It was said that really the only teams in the league that could afford him were the teams with quarterbacks on rookie deals. That doesn't exactly create much leverage with potential trading partners.

Nov 16, 2020, 1:28 PM

They should have kept Hopkins and traded JJ Watt.

Nov 16, 2020, 1:40 PM

Watt is making 15.5 million this year, and is scheduled to earn 17.5 million next year which will be the final year of his contract. The new deal for Hopkins goes through 2024 and will pay an average of 27.2 million per year. Watt is nearly 12 million per year cheaper, and his deal ends 3 years sooner so trading him instead of Hopkins really wouldn't have been a solution.

Nov 16, 2020, 1:49 PM

They are trading Watt after the season. They are on a 3 year rebuild basically. I am just saying with Watt's 15 million off the books the could have afforded Hopkins possibly.

Nov 16, 2020, 1:58 PM

I actually don't think they could have though unfortunately. They're currently projected to be about $7 million above the salary cap next season. Obviously they'll be able to reduce that by trading or cutting certain players, but keep in mind they're expected to be OVER the salary cap currently, and that's before adding any free agent's and draft picks.

Getting rid of Watt will help turn that number around a bit, but imagine the situation they'd find themselves in if they had the $27 million for Hopkins. They're in a position of having to rebuild their roster without a 1st round pick this year, and without any available cap space. Having Hopkins would give them an elite receiver, but it would make an already very difficult job of rebuilding their defense and OL nearly impossible if they were paying his salary. It's going to take at least a few years to rebuild the roster even without his salary.

Nov 16, 2020, 2:04 PM

True. They don't have a 2nd rounder either this year. Those 1st and 2nd round picks are sent to Miami. Miami is going to be really good in a couple of years.

Nov 16, 2020, 4:07 PM

I agree. Miami has already improved a lot as it is.

Nov 16, 2020, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: D Hop ]

There will likely be a cap increase, the texans have a history of letting assets walk b/c they dont want to pay anybody & when they realize their mistake end up over paying>L Tunsell contract. In trading DHOP, they also took on a 10 mil a yr salary dump in an untradeable rb w/ BAD knees-2-3 yrs left on contract-

Nov 16, 2020, 4:23 PM

Johnson is a free agent at the end of next season. I'm only guessing here, but I'd imagine they had to take Johnson as part of the deal in order for Arizona to free up enough cap space to sign the new contract for Hopkins.

Again, I'm not saying Houston hasn't made a lot of terrible decisions because they obviously have to end up in the position they're in. I'm just saying there's more to the Hopkins trade than what it appears on the surface.

There has to be a market for JJ for them to be able to trade

Nov 16, 2020, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: D Hop ]

him...What they should have done was cut him 3 years ago and weather the cap hit

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There has to be a market for JJ for them to be able to trade

Nov 16, 2020, 6:03 PM

They supposedly looked into it this season, but teams that were interested wanted Houston to cover too much of the salary. They think they will be able to trade him and not pay the salary in the offseason. ALso, JJ told them he wants out because he realizes they are going to be in rebuild mode and he is 32 years old. He wants a contender at his age.

He's going to have to renegotiate either way***

Nov 16, 2020, 10:38 PM

Idiot Texas More Importantly Couldn't Afford to Not Keep Him

Nov 16, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: D Hop ]

They had other options and what they got in trade was hot garbage. The only ownership and managerial staffs that make Houston look competent are Dallas, Cincy, NYJ and Cleveland.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Idiot Texas More Importantly Couldn't Afford to Not Keep Him

Nov 16, 2020, 1:52 PM

What other options would they of had? Don't get me wrong, Houston has made a lot of mistakes which has put them in a poor position without much available salary cap, and a lack of draft picks so I'm not taking up for them as an organization. I'm just saying that it's hard to blame them for the Hopkins trade. It's not like they thought getting rid of Hopkins and replacing him with David Johnson was going to make them a better team.

They just couldn't afford to pay him over $27 million per year, and also pay nearly $40 million per year to Watson. The NFL salary cap for 2021 is expected to be $198 million. You just can't simply pay 34% of your entire available salary cap on two players and expect to be competitive.

Houston is certainly in a bad position regardless, and unfortunately it's likely going to take them at least a few years to dig out of it. Having Hopkins on the roster at this point wouldn't change the fact that they have OL issues, and a horrible defense. Having him on the roster making nearly $30 million per year would make the challenge of fixing those issues a lot more difficult though.

Believe it or not, Houston is expected to be OVER the salary cap next season even without Hopkins. That's just further proof that the organization has made some terrible decisions, but is also further proof that they simply couldn't afford to keep Hopkins.

O'Brien was a horrible GM, but he wasn't stupid to the point of not trying to get at least a 1st round pick for Hopkins before making the deal he did.

Re: Idiot Texas More Importantly Couldn't Afford to Not Keep Him

Nov 16, 2020, 2:06 PM

I think the NFL should find a way to take the QB out of the salary cap. Probably will never happen, but that would be great.

Kudos to you sir, you actually keep up with this #### too

Nov 16, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: D Hop ]

and deal in facts, not feelings

Before the catch, my 9 y/o said, "Id throw a Hail Mary Nuks

Nov 16, 2020, 1:37 PM

way!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nuk was 2 years into a 5 year deal and he was fixing to

Nov 16, 2020, 2:10 PM

hold out...Do you think that sounds like someone you want in the lockerroom undermining people trying to buy in to TEAM concepts? People like Deshaun

Re: Nuk was 2 years into a 5 year deal and he was fixing to

Nov 16, 2020, 3:39 PM

Personally I would like to see Watson quit doing the foolish “arrow shoots” and other antics that many guys do to showcase themselves. He’s good. Everyone knows it.

So you are the reason they call it the...

Nov 17, 2020, 3:46 PM

No Fun League? How’s his hooting arrows hurting anybody as long as no one’s eye is ‘put out’. Stop being so uptight, Sir.??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,741
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic