Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton

Dec 10, 2018, 1:32 PM

ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton

ESPN’s Rece Davis spent time with Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney last year, and it was during one conversation between the two that Swinney compared current Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence to current Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton

Dec 10, 2018, 1:33 PM

They look different to me for some reason.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:49 PM

Really Dabo??? sCam???

sCam's mechanic are horrendous! Trevor's is fluid.

They "LOOK" nothing alike, not even their strides!!!

I don't see what you see Dabo . . . probably why I'm not coaching our Tigers!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton ]

Don't get your depends in a wad, he was only comparing skills.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton ]

Only bc Scam goes to the tanning booth and Trevor don't!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 1:36 PM

Trevor is much less of an egomaniac than Cam.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 1:41 PM

I also think Trevor is a naturally better passer too. Trevor already has better touch. The way they are similar is that they are both huge, blazing fast, great athletes, with strong arms. Trevor has a better touch and throws better on the move already. Trevor to me is a Peyton Manning and Fran Tarkenton hybrid.

Dec 10, 2018, 1:50 PM

sorry but TL is nothing like Fran Tarkenton... Fran Tarkenton had the magic of DW4 but quicker... He could take over a ball game. Trevor is more like PeytonM but faster... have not seen the quickness from Trevor yet but he is fast, I think he is faster than CamN.

Dec 10, 2018, 1:55 PM

You don't realize how TL runs yet. You'll learn. We have the reigns on. Look at his HS film. It's nuts. Yeah he has that magic too.

He's fast when he gets going, but he doesn't accelerate very

Dec 10, 2018, 3:29 PM

quickly and he isn't one of those natural and instinctive runners.

Fran Tarkenton was really small***

Dec 10, 2018, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very true, he was listed as 6’-0”, but he might

Dec 10, 2018, 2:15 PM

have been 5’-11” wearing cleats. Elusive, but not really that fast. His small size actually helped him avoid sacks. He was not straight line fast, just very shifty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fran Tarkenton was really small***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Fran Tarkenton was really small*** ]

He was tiny obviously. He was an amazing runner. Now Peyton is tall with a great arm, but slow as it gets. Fran/Peyton = TL

Trevor likes women.***

Dec 10, 2018, 1:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to say, I hate this comparison. I know Dabo meant

Dec 10, 2018, 1:45 PM

the comparison to be in size and the long stride thing he mentioned, but that's where it ends. Newton can't carry Trevor's jock when it comes to passing or leadership. Cam Newton is a joke and cares more about his post game presser outfit than winning.

On another note, I betcha Kelly Bryant hates this comparison, too, if he's seen this article. Cam Newton is who he aspires to be on the field.

Re: I have to say, I hate this comparison. I know Dabo meant

Dec 10, 2018, 1:52 PM

I think KellyB reminds me a lot of CamN. Not as big nor as good an arm yet... but I am interested to see if he can bloom in Missouri?

We shall see. If I'm in the KB camp, I'm concerned about

Dec 10, 2018, 2:06 PM

the talent around him at MO. Time will tell, obviously. Honestly, all I care about at this point is Trevor Lawrence and enjoying watching him develop and be special.

Re: We shall see. If I'm in the KB camp, I'm concerned about

Dec 10, 2018, 4:48 PM

KB doesn't need talent around him to do what he does. All he's gonna do is take the snap, make one read, and then run into the LOS.....or out of bounds short of the 1st down marker.

Re: We shall see. If I'm in the KB camp, I'm concerned about

Dec 11, 2018, 7:00 AM

Come on Man, that's not fair to crap on KB like that. That dude did everything asked of him. Don't get me wrong I got frustrated with him too but TE & JS are to blame for most of that. They ran him like they did DW in 2014-2015. I just hate seeing someone crap on him when he did nothing but win for the most part. Just be greatful we had him last season and this season to bail us out the AM game or we would be in a lower teir NY6 bowl.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to I have to say, I hate this comparison. I know Dabo meant ]

I’m sorry but comments like this drive me crazy simply because you have no idea what kind of person or leader Newton is.

Is he the greatest QB to ever play the game? No he isn’t, but he’s not as bad as some on here make him out to be. He looked like a pretty good leader to me when he led Auburn to a NC, and the Panthers to a Super Bowl appearance. He cared so little about winning afterwards that he walked out of the press conference afterwards.

Do we forget that Newton is a guy Deshaun Watson looks up to? I feel like Watson knows Newton better than anyone on here who’s always attacking Newton’s character.

You have no idea what, or who, I know. And anyone who

Dec 10, 2018, 2:13 PM

knows the nuances of the game of football can see straight through Cam Newton. I don't care what he did at Auburn, he's a joke in a post-game costume now. I don't have to be in the locker room or on the field with him. His persona and play speak volumes. And I doubt seriously Watson 'looks up to' Cam Newton at this point. Funny but the Watson/Newton thing died out rather quickly. Maybe Watson realized he could pick better influences.

Re: You have no idea what, or who, I know. And anyone who

Dec 10, 2018, 4:45 PM

Their relationship died out? Watson still says they talk all the time and that Newton is like a big brother to him. Perhaps because Watson doesn’t judge the character of someone based on the way they dress? That says a lot more about you as a person than it does Cam Newton.

Dec 10, 2018, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I have to say, I hate this comparison. I know Dabo meant ]

I actually agree with you that Cam gets to much flak from people, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve any of it. That fumble in the Super Bowl that he simply refused to make any effort to recover really validated a lot of the criticism he had gotten up to that point.

That's not to say he isn't a supremely talented QB. I would say he's one of the top 10 QB's in terms of talent, but he often performs closer to a fringe top 20 QB because he doesn't appear to have the same drive that some other players have. I can't say for certain that is the case since I don't know him and have never been his teammate, but I think it's fair to make that judgment based on what we've seen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reece Davis had a dream...

Dec 10, 2018, 2:01 PM

thought it was real, and put it out there.

RD is a dork

Dec 10, 2018, 2:04 PM

We will see once TL reaches his full weight. As of now, Cam has 35 pounds on TL.

35 and it looks like about 50***

Dec 10, 2018, 3:28 PM

And you're being NICE!!! ^^^***

Dec 10, 2018, 3:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 2:04 PM

I don’t know why but Dabo does bad on these comparisons of Clemson players to pro athletes.

He also compared Sammy Watkins to Michael Jordan once upon a time.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:12 PM

Who does Bentley compare to?

The Six Pound Brown Trout I Just Dropped in The Commode***

Dec 10, 2018, 3:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we will just stick to comparing Bentley to garbage***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

He compared DW to MJ, link to when he said it about SW***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He compared DW to MJ, link to when he said it about SW***

Dec 10, 2018, 6:57 PM

No he said passing on Sammy Watkins in the draft would be like passing on Michael Jordan. I can’t find a link to it but I remember discussing it on here when it happened.

Dec 10, 2018, 7:39 PM

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/01/24/dabo-swinney-deshaun-watson-passing-michael-jordan-nfl-draft

Dec 10, 2018, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: He compared DW to MJ, link to when he said it about SW*** ]

Definitely DW as MJ

Dec 10, 2018, 9:16 PM

I swear he said it about Sammy too.

He also said Kyle Parker could start for half the teams in the NFL.

I think that was DW Dabo compared to Jordan, but what he

Dec 10, 2018, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN's Davis says Swinney compared Trevor Lawrence to Cam Newton ]

was comparing was his belief that teams passing on DW in the draft, would be remembered like the teams that passed on Jordan!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Physically like Cam, mentally & emotionally like DW4!

Dec 10, 2018, 2:39 PM

THANKFULLY!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol... this is going to trigger some people around here***

Dec 10, 2018, 3:26 PM

I Hope Not

Dec 10, 2018, 4:38 PM

that would be an insult to Trevor.

Cam is top 3 NFL athletic ability, bottom 3 brain capacity.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:45 PM

I'm a big Panthers fan but it is so frustrating to watch him play sometimes. I think it's a reasonable physical comparison (even though Cam has more running ability and Trevor throws the ball better), but mentally Trevor will be way ahead of Cam.

(Might actually be a good replacement for Cam...hint, hint)***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:48 PM

Dabo is threatening to quit if...

Dec 10, 2018, 5:15 PM

we don't like his comparison of TL to sCam.

TL comparison

Dec 10, 2018, 6:30 PM

In a few short years TL will be the guy people compare their QBs to. He could eclipse DW4 while a Clemson which is a high bar to beat.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic