Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nick Saban is a smart guy...evil...but smart
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,314

Nick Saban is a smart guy...evil...but smart

Feb 14, 2014, 3:59 PM

He has built his dynasty in recruiting the biggest players in college football on both of his lines. Not just big, but monstrously big, often times morbidly obese defensive linemen. On offense, they take their time and grind defensive lines into the ground, because they have a size advantage, and generally at least a 20 pounds size advantage, across the line.

On defense they play a 3-4, and utilize giant nose guards to plug the middle, and DE's all over 270 to hold the edge.

Their Inside Linebackers are all listed at 250 and 260, and their outside linebackers are listed at 245 and 235.

Basically, Saban wants to play a slow, grinding game where his players physical size wear down opponents on offense and defense. The problem with the hurry up for him is that both his offense and defense have to play more snaps, which is problematic, because their huge guys tend to wilt when they play over 70 snaps. They are not as strong on offense or defense when this happens, and they become beatable, especially if you can drag them into the 4th quarter.

Saban is seeing his entire strategy placed in jeopardy, and he is trying to use his influence to keep that from happening. It's a smart play, totally unethical and cowardly, but smart none the less, and he has recruited Bielema (power I) and Calhoun (option) to help lead the charge.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He gets everything he wants!

Feb 14, 2014, 4:02 PM

nm

Not as smart as Bob Stoops who whipped that ###.

Feb 14, 2014, 4:08 PM

Not smart enough to beat a team straight up so he's crying "No Fair!"

Teams that have beaten Bama

Feb 14, 2014, 4:13 PM

Oklahoma ran 74 plays
Auburn ran 68 plays
Texas A&M (2012) 77 plays

Their seems to be a common factor in these games.

Yep the Defense couldn't get off the field.***

Feb 14, 2014, 4:17 PM

320 pound nose tackles get tired

Feb 14, 2014, 4:20 PM

Plus that means their offense has to run more plays and 320 OT's also get tired.

More plays hurts him both on offense and defense.

Nick Saban > Bob Stoops

Feb 14, 2014, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Not as smart as Bob Stoops who whipped that ###. ]

3 national titles but not smart enough to win straight up?

I agree that this rule change would be ridiculous, but give me a break about Saban needing help.

Err 4! national titles counting the one at LSU***

Feb 14, 2014, 5:37 PM

Re: Nick Saban is a smart guy...evil...but smart

Feb 14, 2014, 4:25 PM

Don't underestimate the amount of pressure that ESPN is putting on this committee to get what Saban and the majority of the SEC teams want. With the new SEC network coming on line next year, they need Bama and the rest of the knuckle draggers in the SEC Ito remain dominant.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fans want more fast paced spread and less slow-it-down

Feb 14, 2014, 4:31 PM

slothball. So, ESPN should too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I doubt that. Spread uptempo offenses are pushing CFB

Feb 14, 2014, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Nick Saban is a smart guy...evil...but smart ]

to new levels of popularity because it finally has something that can draw the casual sports fan that isn't otherwise invested in the college game.

I think ESPN wants viewers more anything else.

ESPN has really put themselves in a tight spot

Feb 14, 2014, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Nick Saban is a smart guy...evil...but smart ]

On one side they need to maintain this cash cow deal with the SEC, they NEED to pitch the SEC as dominant world beaters. Unfortunately, Nick Saban and the rest of the SEC (including the majority of SEC fans) love slow, grinding, 1930's era "smash 'er up the middle" football with no lights, sounds, fanfare, cheerleaders, marching bands, and especially NO HUNH offenses. (Auburn is simply playing to beat Bama, Texas A&M and Mizzou are Big 12 teams that only know fast paced or Air Raid offenses, so neither of those count as "SEC" in this specific case).

However, thanks to Peyton Manning (ironic isn't it?), Oregon, and other factors the HUNH has become very popular. Likewise, its a much more entertaining version of football because its faster, higher octane, and just more fun to watch (its more entertaining to watch two teams shoot up 30 points in 30 seconds than watch a team move 30 yards in 30 minutes). The fans like it and the fans want it.
Lets also not forget the HUNH levels the playing field significantly. With the "old school" style of football, the Alabama's and LSU's and Oklahomas, Texas', etc could crush all the other mid to lower tier teams. They have bigger players and simply overpower and overwhelm the other teams. However, with the HUNH all you need is brains and some conditioning. When properly applied, teams that are not normally top 10 powers have a chance to beat the big boys, it evens the playing field.

So, ESPN is now stuck between trying to please the SEC and maintain their status quo (that wants to ban the HUNH) and the fans that are rabid for more entertaining football.

If I were a team scheduled to play them that ran the HUNH

Feb 14, 2014, 5:29 PM

offense...I'd just drop them. Let them beat nobodies into the turf and never win anything...

He's also changing to the Spread Offense.

Feb 14, 2014, 6:03 PM

Or at least a type of spread offense. That's why he got Kiffin. He knows the rule isn't going to pass... so he's trying to change his offensive strategy to keep up.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,314
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic