Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Lyn-J Dixon "doing what he's supposed to do" during quiet camp
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

TNET: Lyn-J Dixon "doing what he's supposed to do" during quiet camp

Aug 17, 2019, 12:50 PM

Lyn-J Dixon "doing what he's supposed to do" during quiet camp

Travis Etienne entered August camp as one of the frontrunners for the Heisman Trophy, and freshmen Chez Mellusi and Mikey Dukes have drawn attention for their early play. Meanwhile, sophomore Lyn-J Dixon just goes about his business. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Lyn-J Dixon "doing what he's supposed to do" during quiet camp

Aug 17, 2019, 1:06 PM

Lyn-J Dixon "doing what he's supposed to do" during quiet camp

Travis Etienne entered August camp as one of the frontrunners for the Heisman Trophy, and freshmen Chez Mellusi and Mikey Dukes have drawn attention for their early play. Meanwhile, sophomore Lyn-J Dixon just goes about his business. Full Story »

Running at a lower pad level...lyn j Dixon = warrick dunn 3.0

Can he block the corner blitz...

Aug 17, 2019, 1:08 PM

against a quality defense? Can he chip a marauding DE well enough to give TL time to throw the ball? We know Feaster could. I don’t think we know that about LJD yet. We know he has the speed to run for breakaway touchdowns against horrible defenses like Weak Forest and Luavull. Before I buy I to LJD I want to see him do his job against a quality defense. I hope he can. If not, I hope we have another tailback coming in who can do it. That’s a lot to ask of a freshman.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No sleep last night?

Aug 17, 2019, 1:18 PM

Pretty sure Tony would mention blocking issues, but, we'll watch for the depth chart....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No sleep last night?

Aug 17, 2019, 1:33 PM

I figured it for a tummy ache or flat tire!

Yea, he’s number 2 on the D chart because he can block too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s #2 on the depth chart because

Aug 17, 2019, 4:18 PM

there’s no one with any experience behind him. We had an excellent blocking back who could catch the ball and make plays... but he left. Why he left doesn’t matter now. But now LJD is going to be facing quality defenses. It won’t just be Furman, Wake and Luavull. Can he get yardage between the tackles, up the gut? Can he run it straight into the teeth of a strong DL and get the first down on third or fourth and short? We don’t know that yet.

He’s got a lot to prove. I hope he can do it. If we’re going to make it back to the CFP we really need him to do those things.

Re: He’s #2 on the depth chart because

Aug 17, 2019, 7:21 PM

This kind of reminds me of the worrying and crying when we lost a key player and didn’t have depth. Feaster didn’t leave because he thought he was going to be put in over this kid I can assure you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He’s #2 on the depth chart because

Aug 18, 2019, 2:13 PM [ in reply to He’s #2 on the depth chart because ]

I swear that I read Coach Elliot quoted as saying LJD gets it at this point, broke nice runs off on our studded D, just got to continue to work on technique. Which will always be continually sharpened at this and the next level.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No sleep last night?

Aug 17, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to No sleep last night? ]

Yep, i think he has worked hard on his pass blocking, what freshman RB have we ever had that came in as an excellent pass blocker. Maybe Gallman, but it takes most a year or two. I expect LJD to have a great year.

ETN wiffed about half the time as a Freshman

Aug 17, 2019, 5:50 PM

it takes time

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to change your tampon?

Aug 17, 2019, 4:27 PM [ in reply to No sleep last night? ]

Yeah, I’m sure the OC is going to say “Our second string RB can’t block so we’re screwed if we get blitzed when he’s in the game”.

I’m pulling for Dixon because we’re going to need him to play at a high level from the git go against everybody... not just against worn out scrubs on crap teams. I’m sure we’re giving LJD a lot of work in practice to improve the toughness aspects of his game. We’ll see how it translates onto the field in games.

Re: Need to change your tampon?

Aug 17, 2019, 7:51 PM

And he will!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please remind all of us which RB we’ve ever had that knew the blocking schemes as a true freshman.

Aug 18, 2019, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Need to change your tampon? ]

SMH dude. It’s a new season. Players get better at those type of things.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can he block the corner blitz...

Aug 17, 2019, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Can he block the corner blitz... ]

I guess that since Feaster packed his bag and made his decision to go and become a chit eating coot, LJ will have to do the best that he can but, the most important thing is that he is a Tiger and not a chit eating coot!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 2:07 PM

I think at times we are too hard on our players.

Poor baby. Did we huwwt you feewwlings

Aug 17, 2019, 8:18 PM

I guess we could give them all some Kleenex. Maybe give them some classes not to go to. We could give them a turnover chain. I know. After we coddle them a bit, we could give them rings for 6th place.

Exactly, I have faith in the players that want to be Tigers!***

Aug 17, 2019, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Can he block the corner blitz... ]

Re: Exactly, I have faith in the players that want to be Tigers!***

Aug 17, 2019, 9:48 PM

Preach it brother!

Aug 17, 2019, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Can he block the corner blitz... ]

Flying Tiger - I get where you are coming from. But, RB's get fooled by defenses in the NFL; let alone college. We have to get LJD up to speed enough to at least see it;slow them down.
He runs well enough in my estimation we won't have to worry about "obvious passing situations" where you would get a CB blitz. Etienne isn't the best at it; but like LJD has worked really hard to improve. TF was probably the best at it; but he isn't a Tigers player this year.
I have seen enough in spot duty to know if nothing else; he is an excellent runner! Another thing you did not mention I have to note: "he didn't have the starting OL blocking either"! If you say one you have to say the other! So, I am excited to see what he can do with the 1's in early parts of the game.

He showed more explosiveness and play making ability against those tired defenses than did TF or any of the other backs! So on that alone; I sleep easy knowing LJD will be backing up Etienne.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not too worried about corner blitzes. Tee and Ross

Aug 17, 2019, 5:53 PM

with TL throwing the ball as a safety or worse a LB is rushing over to cover. We will kill it every time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2019, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Can he block the corner blitz... ]

The point is this....there arent any other options. LJD is who we have. He was put into the fire last year. He has said that he knows what he needs to do. More importantly, the coaches know and are working him to get him better. Most importantly, there isnt a dern thing we can do except get behind the team and support them.

If he averages like 8+ YPC again i will allow him to

Aug 17, 2019, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Can he block the corner blitz... ]

occasionally miss a blitz pickup.

Re: If he averages like 8+ YPC again i will allow him to

Aug 17, 2019, 3:06 PM

My exact sentiment about the OP question.

LJD showed the same flash in minimum opportunities as Etienne did. If what you do well is so good to the point we can overlook your weakness then that's something to work on. But, not a dis qualifier! He ran for more yards than some starting TB's. He did so against 1st team defenses with the back up OL. Kid is explosive and will be a great RB for the Tigers!

Also, whats the point in even saying this? Feaster left.

Aug 17, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Can he block the corner blitz... ]

Its not like hes being passed over for Dixon.

Re: Also, whats the point in even saying this? Feaster left.

Aug 17, 2019, 4:26 PM

It's pretty clear that Feaster left because he had the third best yards per carry average in Clemson history... behind the other two guys one the roster...and they were learning how to block in D1 quicker than he was learning how to run faster.

It’s also pretty clear that...

Aug 17, 2019, 5:14 PM

In the most important game of the season last year against the best defense we faced, Lynn J Dixon didn’t play one snap while the guy he had supposedly passed on the depth chart this year made big plays. If you don’t think that’s significant you need to lay off the weed for awhile.

Re: It’s also pretty clear that...

Aug 17, 2019, 6:50 PM

I've never touched the stuff.
Again, not an indictment on TF, just but his between the tackles ability wasn't all that. You say, he didn't get in the game(LJD) which tells me; he must have gotten better after that game and past TF and TF knew it. If the only thing TF has on LJD is pass pro; i'm scoffing at that. TF made his 5 stars out of H.S. b/c of his 100M time and his super production out of the backfield "AS A RECEIVER"! As a runner the lane had to be wide open and blocked well and Yes, w/his speed he would gash you for big yards. BTW, if you are stonewalled on 5 plays b/c you didn't see the hole, but then on a well blocked play you run for 70 what's your YPC average? Exactly why numbers can be manipulated. He is a great RB and we will miss him; but I think the choice of LJD passing him on the depth chart was correct.
Especially if he improved the reason he didn't play in the most important game versus the best defense we played! Because in every other area; i'll take LJD all day.

I disagree with you on why Feaster left

Aug 17, 2019, 7:31 PM

It had nothing to do with moving down the depth chart; I don’t believe that to be the case. Feaster wants to be the FEATURE BACK. He can’t be that here because we have a back who is an All -American, Heisman-caliber player in Travis Etienne. THAT’S why Feaster left IMO.

Re: I disagree with you on why Feaster left

Aug 17, 2019, 8:28 PM

Flying Tiger - you could be right. But, unless you are a feature back and 1 in a blue moon talent at RB - you aren't going to be a featured RB. Gurley, Fournette(when healthy), Peterson(when healthy) and now Barkley! Those are about it in the NFL as far as "featured back"!
I think he got bad advice b/c for a RB he will have outstanding combine numbers and not a bunch of wear and tear on his body b/c he shared carries. In other words, it's a good thing to share the load as a RB. But, oh well!
And, even if the unlikely event of him not caring about the NFL is a thing, it's still a bit presumptuous on his part that the incumbent RB's who know the system better will just roll over for him! He is easily the most talented - but my bet is he still splits carries this year!

Re: I disagree with you on why Feaster left

Aug 17, 2019, 8:37 PM

I seriously doubt Feaster will have a better year at USuC than he would have had here. 1. He doesnt know there their blocking schemes and he has a month to learn. 2. Their OL isnt anywhere near as good as ours...1st or 2nd string. 3. If the ACC were really a worse league than the sec, wouldnt you want to pad your numbers against lesser talent 4. USuC has their feature back already. Theyre going to want to keep him happy

Save your breath, HillRock...

Aug 18, 2019, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I disagree with you on why Feaster left ]

You can make all the valid comments you want, but he came to argue, not debate. I like your points, though! ;)

Aug 18, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to It’s also pretty clear that... ]

Think we all know our coaching staff protects freshmen from getting their confidence crushed and you are acting like we had a need there at that time or something.

Aug 18, 2019, 7:21 PM [ in reply to It’s also pretty clear that... ]

He had a 10 yard run vs ND (10th in S&P defense)...a 15 yarder vs SCar, which he averaged 7.6 yards a carry against (40th in S&P defense), a 20 yard run vs BC, averaged 6 yards a carry against (32nd in S&P defense).

Message was edited by: Tigerman1978

Aug 19, 2019, 3:04 PM [ in reply to It’s also pretty clear that... ]

For most of the game they rotated the top three backs then let the senior stay in for the clean-up duty and he came close to scoring on his last carry as a tiger. There were a lot of 4th--teamers who didn't get in the game.

Feaster was the 4th best in YPC for RB last year***

Aug 17, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Also, whats the point in even saying this? Feaster left. ]

Re: Also, whats the point in even saying this? Feaster left.

Aug 17, 2019, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Also, whats the point in even saying this? Feaster left. ]

Feaster = "second best" ypc avg. in Clemson history, only behind ETN.

Go Tigers!!!

Aug 18, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Can he block the corner blitz... ]

You can be concerned if you want, but in the end it does not matter if you "buy" because we do not count when it comes to player decisions. So, lets support both the coaches and players and do what we do as fans--- cheer the team.JMO.

We recruit great kids

Aug 17, 2019, 8:38 PM

Love the attitude!

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic