Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's the article by Steven Bradley mentioned by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Here's the article by Steven Bradley mentioned by

Feb 17, 2015, 12:04 PM

a poster below:

Steven Bradley: Clemson would be foolish to let Leggett go
Submitted by esprott on February 14, 2015 – 12:10 am

Jack Leggett packs a calculator whenever he hits the road recruiting. It’s just as vital a tool for his job these days as a fungo bat or lineup card.

Steven Bradley is an award-winning columnist and reporter who has covered college and high school sports for The Journal since 2004. He was recently promoted to News Editor, but maintains this weekly sports column. He can be reached via email at sbradley@upstatetoday.com.

That’s because Leggett is acting not only as a salesman for his program and Clemson University, but thanks to the NCAA’s kooky rules, he has to act a bit like a used-car salesman, too.

College baseball teams have 11.7 scholarships to give 27 players, and any player on scholarship is required to get at least 25 percent of one. Contrast that to women’s basketball, for example, which allots 15 scholarships — enough for everybody from stars to benchwarmers to have a full ride.

Heck, the Clemson women only have 13 players on their team this year.

Meanwhile, Leggett has had four players on full scholarship in 21 years as Clemson’s baseball coach, and he doesn’t have the luxury of letting scholarships, even fractions of them, sit idle.

When he goes into a recruit’s home and hears, “I want to play at Clemson, Coach, but School X is offering me $10,000 more than you are,” Leggett has a decision to make. If he wants the player bad enough, he’ll match the offer, but does so knowing he has to go back to Clemson and convince a current player (or combination of players) to give up $10,000 of scholarship money.

One can only imagine it’s a tough balancing act having to mentor young men you are also haggling with over money.

All that would be well and good if it were an even playing field and the competition were facing the same scenario. But that’s not the case.

While Leggett is basically bound by that 11.7 scholarship limit, many of his closest rivals have ways to circumvent it. South Carolina, for example, was able to land Jackie Bradley Jr. and several other players from the state of Virginia that helped it win back-to-back national titles thanks to help from the Academic Common Market.

The ACM allows schools to offer in-state tuition to students from partnering states so long as those students enroll in a major that is not offered in that state. The program applies to all students, not just athletes, but the bottom line is South Carolina offers it and Clemson doesn’t.

Other rivals such as North Carolina have a leg up by being able to offer need-based financial aid, meaning if a top recruit comes from a low-income home, those schools can offer the player basically a full ride without it counting against their scholarship allotment. Clemson can’t do that either.

I know many fans have become frustrated with the Tigers’ success, or lack thereof, on the diamond in recent years, and some have suggested this could be a make-or-break season for Leggett.

Athletic director Dan Radakovich went so far as to publicly point out a series of problem areas in Leggett’s program and offer suggestions for how to address them at the conclusion of last season. That was after multiple media outlets, some of which scarcely cover the program, called for Leggett’s head.

Let me make sure I’m not mincing words on my opinion — the idea of firing Leggett is preposterous.

I completely understand fans are frustrated by a lack of trips to Omaha lately and, perhaps more importantly, a lack of wins over rival South Carolina. But do people really think Leggett just forgot how to coach? This is a man who was inducted into the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame last season and is tied for the ninth-most wins in Division I history (1,300 going into the 2015 season).

Even if Leggett were totally to blame for the downturn in the Tigers’ product on the field, it would be a boneheaded business decision to get rid of him anytime soon. His contract runs through June 30, 2016, and if he were fired without cause, he would be due $200,000 per year left on the deal.

I know people consider baseball a “revenue sport” because the school charges money for tickets, but truth be told, the program cost the athletic department more than $1 million last year.

Most every college sport everywhere besides football and men’s basketball loses money to some degree, and by comparison, $1 million is only about half of what women’s basketball cost Clemson last year.

Point is, it wouldn’t make much sense for the Tigers to pay $200,000 to fire a Hall of Fame coach, on top of paying to hire a new one, for a program that already makes the NCAA Tournament every year and is going to lose money either way.

Personally, I think Leggett is an outstanding coach who is respected by his peers and on the way to getting the program turned around (thanks in no small part to the work done by assistant coach — and Walhalla native — Bradley LeCroy on the recruiting trail).

It’s been said that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone, and I suspect Tiger fans would find that to be the case with the man who wears No. 7 on his jersey.

Letting Leggett go wouldn’t just be a bad idea — it would be bad business.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's the article by Steven Bradley mentioned by

Feb 17, 2015, 12:22 PM

Still no response from the know it alls! Fire t netters!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2015, 12:27 PM

I'm trying to figure out how this explains horrible in game management and complete meltdowns?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2015, 12:34 PM

The better the players ... the better the team... with less chances for error.

I have coached hundreds of games and I was always at my best when I had great players on the field. Pretty simple really.

Feb 17, 2015, 12:36 PM

Are you making the argument that we've done more with less talent over the last 5 years? You can't be serious.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2015, 12:53 PM

I have not seen a wealth of talent on the field for Clemson compared with other teams in the league. Every Tiger fan on this site complains that usuck has better, local players. I have no idea how scholarships are awarded at Clemson but it appears that we have some disadvantages.

Feb 17, 2015, 1:00 PM

We recruit decently well. So what would be the reasoning for not having the talent "on the field" to compare with other teams in the league when it comes game time?

Feb 17, 2015, 1:43 PM

I would be less than honest with you if I said that coaching wasn't important because it certainly is.
If pure talent won games teams as the Yankees would seldom loose. I have always been amazed that Duke and UNC lose basketball games to lesser opponents, but they do! EVERY year. And with great coaching!

Great pitching always wins baseball games. That IS an established fact. A good coach will figure out what he needs to do with his position players to help his team win. Some choose to play small ball, some prefer to go for big hits. It just depends on your style and your talent. I personally don't see a lot of confidence on the field, or at the plate when the Tigers play. I can't explain this but three games into the season isn't enough time to evaluate them properly. Obviously the team needs for something good to happen to it quickly. There is a fine line between being a good team and a real good team. Three super weekend pitchers will always do it.

Not a Jack hater/lover but...

Feb 17, 2015, 12:33 PM

It appears that Clemson does participate in the ACM program according to the link below. Not saying we use it for recruiting but it appears to be an option.

http://home.sreb.org/acm/participating/StateInfo.aspx?state=SC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If this is correct, does anybody know

Feb 17, 2015, 12:55 PM

why Clemson does not take advantage of it for baseball purposes?

It wasn't until a few weeks ago that Clemson was in the

Feb 17, 2015, 5:41 PM

program. Clemson currently has two majors approved as I understand it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not like these scholarship limits are new to baseball***

Feb 17, 2015, 12:42 PM

Fire Jack!! What the article says may be true however,

Feb 17, 2015, 12:52 PM

that doesn't account for the errors and the seeming weakness in fundamentals. It seems to be the same problems year after year. Maybe they don't perform well because of his coaching style. I don't know, but there appear to be problems in the program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why doesn't Clemson offer the ACM or

Feb 17, 2015, 12:53 PM

need-based financial scholarships? Lack of money? Lack of institutional smarts? I don't understand.

Can BOT, President fix those problems or are we stuck with

Feb 17, 2015, 1:12 PM

Them?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This does not explain why we seem to only recruit

Feb 17, 2015, 1:21 PM

players that are 6'1" and 180 lbs with "upper cut" swings.

The premise of his article is flawed

Feb 17, 2015, 1:27 PM

I'm not a supporter or hater of Jack, I don't get to see enough games to make an assessment. But to say that he is held back by the number of schollys is stupid. By the writer's admission, the NCAA only allows a certain number for a fairly large team. Everyone is playing by the same rules. Yes it may be expensive to fire a coach, but it usually is. I'm guessing it's rare to catch a coach during contract negotiations and tell him that he isn't going to get an extension. He didn't forget how to coach but something isn't working, hasn't worked to the fan's expectations in sometime.

Re: The premise of his article is flawed

Feb 17, 2015, 6:47 PM

Everyone does not play by the same scholarship limitations. Ask an opposing coach how much does the average player pay to play.

Feb 17, 2015, 1:31 PM

Do we not have as many scolarships as everyone else?Jack did b deter when he had great assistants like osullivan &Corbin who are at other schools doing better than us.He was told to make changes,last year to improve& did nothing .He needs a hitting & pitching coach . Tommy Bowden got fired because he wouldn't replace his OC .not making changes when needed is why he needs to go

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2015, 1:50 PM

Coach Leggett has a personality of his own much as Bowden had. I feel sure that when he thinks his program needs outside help, he will get it. No doubt assistants have a large impact on any team. You need look no further than Tiger football to see this. Help is out there. Now convince Coach L that he needs it. Good luck.

So now I understand why CU keeps Jack....

Feb 17, 2015, 1:48 PM

Because CU can't come with $200k and he is well respected in the business. So I guess overseeing a under performing business unit driving it into the ground is good business. Gotcha!

My thinking is only general in nature and not directed

Feb 17, 2015, 8:43 PM

toward Coach Leggett or any other, for that matter.

There is a time when any leader has to consider his worth to an endeavor, and if not, then someone has to perform the scrutiny for him. Often, a leader will fail to understand an old caveat: all glory is fleeting; today's heroes become tomorrow's villains when they rest upon laurels.

Even Frank Howard knew when to bow out gracefully before low rumblings became loud outbursts. Today he is considered a legend.

The important matter for all within the Clemson family is to place loyalty to Clemson above loyalty to any coach or staff, for the good of the University must prevail. Should any coach fail to meet responsibilities for positive accomplishments, then he must be replaced. Yet, each of us, who call ourselves members of the Clemson family, has a responsibility to support our efforts, academically and athletically, despite misgivings until change occurs.

And despite the author's arguments otherwise, every member of our family has a right to demand excellence and if lacking, then demand change. And for its own good, the University has to be willing to effect change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic