Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We need to agree as a society on a cut off point
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 812

We need to agree as a society on a cut off point

Feb 7, 2019, 11:01 AM

where stupid #### we did in our past can't be held against us.

Whether that's a statue of limitations

or an age where stupid #### we did before that age no longer can be held against us.

What is that cut off and what are the exceptions?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I thought this was going to be about jorts***

Feb 7, 2019, 11:03 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

cm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We need to agree as a society on a cut off point

Feb 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

Not sure that I ever would have thought that disparaging black people was "ok". Was it ever ok to wear blackface and comically go after black people in particular? Not that I know of.

If so all those redneck twats that hung black folk and bomb churches and shot them with fire hoses could just claim, "well, we were young and didnt know any better".

How about those dolts that drug the gay dude to his death. Were they just young and dumb?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why the last sentence was about exceptions

Feb 7, 2019, 11:09 AM

can you put me on ignore too?

Re: That's why the last sentence was about exceptions

Feb 7, 2019, 11:13 AM

No, cause i like to see you cry and ##### and moan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're talking about committing violent crimes

Feb 7, 2019, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: We need to agree as a society on a cut off point ]

That's much different than dressing in a way as a dumb joke, or saying something that could be at least insensitive, or at most actually racist. In the case of a crime, I think you'd have to have done your time, changed your ways, and if you're trying to become prominent again, you probably need to have done some penance by going in the complete opposite direction.

The irony is that people like Robert Byrd were and are still lauded, even though he was a KKK leader. Meanwhile, we're coming down much harder on people who did joke-y things that require an extra layer of interpretation to understand as racially offensive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that depends...

Feb 7, 2019, 11:12 AM

Can we get some age extensions if alcohol is involved?

I'm gonna need an extension.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

So you have something yur not proud of, too?

Feb 7, 2019, 11:21 AM

But you mock me?

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Guess-I-have-to-give-up-running-against-Lindsey-G-25044511#25044511

One time...

Feb 7, 2019, 2:27 PM

I had to perform at a pep rally in high school. In the past, the dudes dressed as cheerleaders, but the principal axed that my senior year cause he was scared of crossdressing complaints from parents. Cause Spartanburg.

So I wore a conglomerate of a lot of other ridiculous attire. There's a really embarrassing pic of me in the yearbook from that year.

But by gawd, I never tried to make myself look like a black person and mock em while doing it.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I think it's mostly subjective...

Feb 7, 2019, 11:12 AM

Here are some things I consider when deciding how to view a public figure's past transgressions:

1. Genuine remorse for action and recognition of the wrong; no attempt to justify
2. Observance of words and actions in a significant amount of time since the action, which indicate the action is no longer representative of the person
3. If action was prior to reaching adulthood/maturity

Every case should be judged by an individual on its own merits, so there's no one-size-fits all policy. And it's up to the individual...just because I choose not to hold it against someone, doesn't mean it's wrong for you to do so, and vice versa.

I want to stress that I'm talking about public figures here, not about personal wrongs and relationships. That's another ball of wax.

When there's money and/or power to be had

Feb 7, 2019, 11:16 AM

There is no statue of limitations.

hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ASK the troll JDfourOfour

Feb 7, 2019, 11:17 AM

he's the bible on this....

Re: We need to agree as a society on a cut off point

Feb 7, 2019, 11:26 AM

Context matters.

I've said it before on here, but here we go again. It's 2019 and anything you've ever done is going to come out at some point (in 10 or so years we'll start to see candidates whose whole lives are on social media). If you're a politician, I'd think getting out in front of it, admitting mistakes, expressing growth/remorse would go a long way if genuine. None of this seems to apply to what's going on in Virginia.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe just have a maximum age limit on political offices

Feb 7, 2019, 11:32 AM

So you don't end up in a situation where people who grew up in a time when stuff like segregated water fountains was OK still hold positions of power in our society.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or those times where we thought people had inherent

Feb 7, 2019, 11:34 AM

privilege just because of the color of their skin. Man, those were backwards times back in 2019.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just the first example of white privilege that came to mind

Feb 7, 2019, 11:37 AM

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read what "whitening" meant in that study?

Feb 7, 2019, 11:46 AM

It's based on some pretty thin presumptions about what being white is, and some narrow presumptions about being asian or black.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL at this gem...

Feb 7, 2019, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Just the first example of white privilege that came to mind ]

“People … want to have like an awesome black worker but they want one who they feel like fits within a certain box and like very much will conform and like lay low andjust kind of do what’s expected of them, and they’re not necessarily looking for the outspoken like political radical person,”a black college senior said. “I feel like race is just one of the many aspects where you try to just like buff the surface smooth … and pretend like there’s nothing sticking out.”

Well no shid Sherlock....IMAGINE THAT!! What a fuggin' joke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know every time I hire someone, I'm looking for an

Feb 7, 2019, 11:52 AM

outspoken political radical.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know why that would be on a resume

Feb 7, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to LOL at this gem... ]

I also don't really know how not putting that stuff on a resume constitutes "whitening," as if they'd be more likely to hire a white radical.

Way to cherry-pick something one kid they interviewed said***

Feb 7, 2019, 11:54 AM [ in reply to LOL at this gem... ]

The entire article was equally as stupid***

Feb 7, 2019, 11:56 AM

Well, that settles it***

Feb 7, 2019, 11:58 AM

Not quite....The entire concept of white privilege is stupid

Feb 7, 2019, 11:59 AM

And racist.

Now it's settled.

Re: Not quite....The entire concept of white privilege is stupid

Feb 7, 2019, 12:35 PM

computers must be racist

Feb 7, 2019, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Just the first example of white privilege that came to mind ]

cause thats who does most resume screening

Why did they get more callbacks just by changing the name on the resume?

Feb 7, 2019, 11:56 AM

Anyway, like I said, just one example of white privilege.

What's an "African-American" name? What's a "white name"?

Feb 7, 2019, 12:08 PM

Did they happen to look at what else was on the resume of people with "white names" and "black names"? Also, where's the link to that study, because that headline doesn't say what you did?

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Sorry, I forgot to include a link

Feb 7, 2019, 12:31 PM

https://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

Still interesting results

Feb 7, 2019, 12:41 PM

I do find it very hard to believe that employers aren't going to be interested in a person they expect to be black if they've got a good resume. It's hard to tell from that summary exactly how they assigned the names to the different resumes, though.

If someone is qualified, I don't care if they are purple.

Feb 7, 2019, 2:10 PM

Bring them in. If they can do what i need done, consistently, they are hired.

If it's worth anything, I've witnessed discriminatory hiring

Feb 7, 2019, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Still interesting results ]

practices from multiple employers, granted they were small business owners. This was as recently as 2016.

I think last time I mentioned this, the retort was something along the lines of black businesses not hiring whites so it all evened out.

I've only ever seen preferences for minorities

Feb 7, 2019, 3:56 PM

Any time I've been involved in hiring, I'll admit to the fact that I looked for resumes with names I thought indicated they were minorities hoping that they'd be qualified. A lot of the times, unfortunately, those were the resumes that were the worst.

Obviously, some black businesses not hiring anybody but black people doesn't even anything out.

I've been working for 11 days straight.

Feb 7, 2019, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Why did they get more callbacks just by changing the name on the resume? ]

I don't feel privileged.

lulz..a TD

Feb 7, 2019, 4:09 PM

TD this...I've worked 11 days and will only be paid for 9.

White privilege..indeed.

Seems like if you've changed and it wasn't a crime...

Feb 7, 2019, 11:34 AM

it doesn't need to be brought back up. Unfortunately, the internet makes it so people can easily find and publicize almost anything from any point in your life.

One problem is that people really, really don't like the idea of forgiving people for committing certain sins. This is especially the case if they've been crusading against a particular sin. They want to make an example of people who've broken their favorite rule in order to make that rule more important. And, of course, there's a kind of democratic vindictiveness where people just enjoy taking public figures down a peg or three for almost anything.

3 days.***

Feb 7, 2019, 3:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Here’s an idea...just don’t do stupid ####

Feb 7, 2019, 10:23 PM

And quit using youth and alcohol as an excuse for doing stupid ####.

lulz. I can't TD anyone, but if I could, I would.

Feb 7, 2019, 10:44 PM

This is stupid.

StatuTe, Beavis, STATUTE***

Feb 7, 2019, 10:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 812
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic