Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's a hint for you non-religious types...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 935

Here's a hint for you non-religious types...

Aug 25, 2020, 5:54 PM

When you go talk about Football with someone, what's good about it, what you enjoy, what you don't, what makes the game great, what seems to sometimes not work, what players you're enthused about, what teams you hate, etc. The sort of discussion where you're trying to bring out your feelings about and history with the game itself.

When you do this, you don't go talk with someone who never watched the sport, doesn't care about the sport, knows nothing about the rules nor the players nor the Teams nor the divisions nor the History. In other words, you don't go talk to someone who's view of football is the Premier League they've been following all their life.

When you go to have this talk, you talk to another American Football Fan-atic.

So here's my suggestion: if non-religious types want to have a conversation about Religion, then I would highly suggest that you go down to the Local Ministry to find someone who can help you uncover your feelings and ideas and misconceptions. That is where you can truly be helped, and I sincerely hope that you do that at some point in your life.

Coming onto a Board such as this with your pseudo-intellectualism and post-modern logic, and really just looking not for enlightenment but instead an argument to show how smart you are, is really just embarrassing. That's all. You're trying to be smart, when in fact you're an English soccer fan talking the Green Bay Packers. It just doesn't work, and even as people smile at you and humor you, it never will work.

And please, before anyone says that I am being "defensive", I'll just tell you "no". I'm just trying to help clean up your misconception before it happens. Because when you start talking the Liverpool Dungeon Dragons, I just skip right over the nonsense.

Kudos to franc1968® and TheProdigal for having more empathy than I and clearly more patience with impudence.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OR...or, alternatively, and hear me out, stay with me on

Aug 25, 2020, 5:58 PM

this: you could ignore the thread, and the religious types who want to engage in conversation with non-religious types can continue to do so, you threadcop.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OR...or, alternatively, and hear me out, stay with me on

Aug 25, 2020, 7:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's a hint for you non-religious types...

Aug 25, 2020, 6:07 PM

Heads’ up boomer, you’re on the Politics and RELIGION bored.

I detest religion being shoved down my throat more than most, but what a $a^* take.

IRONY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I look to your posts on P&R as the model of Christianity

Aug 25, 2020, 6:09 PM

Your empathy and kindness for the common man is unmatched.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals

Aug 25, 2020, 6:24 PM

I have no empathy or tolerance for them at all. If you want to send me to h*ll for that, you're welcome to make your own judgements.

Re: Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals

Aug 25, 2020, 6:28 PM

I thought you loved liberals? I completely misjudged you. Hmm. Now I know. Live and learn.

Ok, I've made my judgement

Aug 25, 2020, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals ]

Go to hell. You're a piece of shit and everyone agrees with me.

post-modernist bastardization of dying with the most toys

Aug 25, 2020, 6:33 PM

now the goal is to "Win at Life" by having everyone agree with you.

You prove me right every time you open your mouth.

I've never met someone who tries so hard to sound smart.

Aug 25, 2020, 6:40 PM

And yeah. I would talk about an open mouth. We know what you do to Trump with yours.

Re: Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals

Aug 25, 2020, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals ]

How Christ-like of you.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you also hate the people they’re wanting to help?

Aug 25, 2020, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals ]

Hating politicians is fine by me.

Hating the downtrodden is not very Christ-like.

It’s not my judgement that will decide your fate in hell (if you believe in such things). Based on your original thread, I’d expect you to know that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow!***

Aug 25, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I wonder if Jesus had anything to say about that stuff.***

Aug 25, 2020, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Oh, I will absolutely own up to truly Hating Liberals ]

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Say? He threw those capitalist bastiches out of the temple.***

Aug 25, 2020, 11:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The nerve of some folks

Aug 25, 2020, 6:10 PM

How dare they talk politics & religion on a politics & religion board
G T F outa here with that

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Re: Here's a hint for you non-religious types...

Aug 25, 2020, 6:11 PM

Here's a hint. The non religious know as much about the afterlife as you do. We can join in any time we want. Also, most of us have been to Sunday school and church plenty of times in our lives.

But you know nothing about Faith because you have none

Aug 25, 2020, 6:30 PM

it isn't about Sunday school rules or prayer session protocols or Wednesday night covered dish menus. Religion isn't about Religiocity, or at least shouldn't be.

What you are missing is indeed just missing.

And my only point is that IF you truly want to learn about Faith, then do the thing that will give you the best shot at getting that - for your own sake.

Otherwise, as I said, it's a discussion about Afterlife that sounds like a Soccer fan talking about the End Zone.

Re: But you know nothing about Faith because you have none

Aug 25, 2020, 6:51 PM

You have to understand that we have learned about it and we think it's man made bullshyatt. Organized religion that is.

I absolutely get that and suggest you can believe what you

Aug 25, 2020, 6:56 PM

want, certainly.

Faith. You either have it or you don't.

And to be brutally honest, I think it's that realization that burns Liberals to the core; drives them to want to engage someone in a conversation about Religion; drives them to want to announce their post-modern logical "superiority". The simple innate gut feeling that something is missing; and it pisses them off.

You see it in the answers here.

Re: I absolutely get that and suggest you can believe what you

Aug 25, 2020, 7:07 PM

"Faith. You either have it or you don't."

It doesn't bother me in any way. I like when people have faith. It's good for their peace of mind. I think you think believe in something that isn't real though. It's the same way I think about scientologists. They don't bother me. I think we just ask practical questions like the poster did earlier when asked about aborted babies going to heaven. He just wanted to know what the big deal is if the baby is in heaven.

Speaking as someone who does have the faith of a

Aug 25, 2020, 8:16 PM [ in reply to I absolutely get that and suggest you can believe what you ]

believer, it would appear that something is missing if you need to start a thread like this....

In my life, I've noticed there are two primary paths of behaviour of those with faith who actively try to live it:

1) The Evangelical---This person either is new/renewed in their faith and excited about it and/or someone who feels that telling anyone and everyone about Jesus Christ is mandatory for them to keep their Christian card. Your post isn't that.

2) The more private believer--This person is comfortable with their faith but would rather demonstrate their faith to others via actions and not words. This is the more libertarian of the two, with a live and let live mindset that says "I'm comfortable with my beliefs, but you do you". This isn't that one either.

There's a decent amount of religious trolling on here, but it's not over the top, and us believers generally show respect to the godless heathens and vice-versa. When someone asks a genuine question though about the topic, if nothing else it's coming from a place of curiosity, and it seems like I'm doing a disservice by telling them they sound stupid and go ask a pro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obed, I appreciate the take - let me suggest something...

Aug 26, 2020, 10:49 AM

I tried to be pretty clear about one thing, stating, "Coming onto a Board such as this with your pseudo-intellectualism and post-modern logic, and looking not for enlightenment but instead an argument to show how smart you are, is really just embarrassing."

That should be clear - the post was really directed at those non-religious who are looking for an argument and not truly looking for enlightenment or answers.

If people didn't get that, I'd suggest that it's likely because they're overly emotional and not terribly great readers. But hey, this is an emotional topic, so I don't worry too much about it.

I do however tune people out when they start arguing "their version" of what Religion is even as they admit to not having Faith. Without Faith, their knowledge, their analysis, their engrained background is nothing. I don't know what section of people that puts me in, #1 or #2, so I'll just leave that to you. And I certainly do appreciate that you have much more patience than I for the evangelical calling.

Have a good one.

If you believe this,

Aug 26, 2020, 12:05 AM [ in reply to I absolutely get that and suggest you can believe what you ]

the shallowness of your puddle of faith wouldn’t even make a splash were Jesus to step in it. Of this and your other posts, your disdain for others is a disgusting element of fundamentalism. If you wanna be who you say you are, I’d check that shid, Bro.

In that case, in might be helpful to remember...

Aug 26, 2020, 8:41 AM [ in reply to I absolutely get that and suggest you can believe what you ]

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, you can only talk about religion if you've

Aug 25, 2020, 6:29 PM

been washed in the blood?

Yeah, I don't see anything whatsoever that's dumbasshit about that statement.

Like FatherG, you get mean when you’re drinking.***

Aug 25, 2020, 6:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point, nice read, but you seem to forget that 99% of the P&R

Aug 25, 2020, 6:30 PM

bored were raised as Christians, I’d guess. They grew up Christians, were required to go to church and Sunday School as children, and I’d guess at least 25% on the board, probably more, ended up rejecting Christ. I would call myself a wannabe Christian but have never made it 100%.

My point is that, yea, when talking sports, you obviously want to talk with someone who know sports.

But people on here who were raised as Christians have walked the walk, and some are very knowledgeable about religion and don’t have to resort to a clergymen to be able to have these conversations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His Mamma made him go to

Aug 25, 2020, 6:31 PM

church, wonder if she made him suck on her a little bit too?

Alright, put the bottle down.***

Aug 25, 2020, 6:33 PM

That's like UNC-CH having Bart Ehrman as the Dean

Aug 25, 2020, 6:41 PM

of Religious Studies. Nothing more than Liberalism remaking the conversation in an attempt to destroy the underlying argument.

I'm sorry, if you have no Faith, if you're missing that thing that makes sense of and adds value to Religion, then your understanding is simply not whole.

It's much like asking a Woman to stay in a Marriage after she no longer "Loves" the Man. It simply doesn't work because the critical component is missing.

But hey, just my opinion.... they're going to do what they want to anyway, so it's funny they get so upset. LOL - the best way to get at a Liberal? Easy - tell them their Opinion doesn't matter.

There's no bottle here, only smoke.

Aug 25, 2020, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Alright, put the bottle down.*** ]

I'm just in a hateful mood today.

probably artificial hickory smoke.***

Aug 25, 2020, 6:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you don't like the P&R bored?

Aug 25, 2020, 7:06 PM

We'll hold you until you get use to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a hint for those who are new to message boards.

Aug 25, 2020, 9:59 PM

You see, when a board has a topic, such as "Politics and Religion," that means anyone who wants to discuss these topics #### well can. And anyone who doesn't like those topics should go elsewhere and stop being a defensive baby about it. Which you are. Right now.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I think you were complimenting me....

Aug 25, 2020, 11:14 PM

so, thank you. However, not to be cliché, but when it comes to discussions of religion, I’m trying to do what Jesus would do (I try). The only people he chastised were the self-righteous religious people who thought they knew all of the answers.

Unlike my teacher and role model, I do not have all the answers. I do not consider doubters, and even scoffers, to be a threat to my personal faith. All I can do is talk about my experience and understanding.

Do I want others to know Jesus? You bet I do. But I can’t force or shame that on anybody. That’s not my job. My only job is to love people. “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” John 13:35. My love for others is the evidence that my faith is real, whether anyone else acknowledges it or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my only argument with that would be

Aug 26, 2020, 11:01 AM

that we do no favors for those who are truly striving for the Word when we allow insincere argument to cloud the issues.

And that was what the post was about. You'll note above that I answered much the same to Obed's post.

Both you (franc1968®) and Obed® are great ambassadors and have good spirits. I appreciate that.

But the post was generally only meant for those who aren't really looking for answers - who question to gain footing for an argument. I actually saw a vid on YT the other day that suggested "Progressive Christianity" was more dangerous than Atheism to the Faith. I didn't watch it, but thought it was an interesting concept. The whole basis of the Garden story was to note how easily Eve was deceived by Evil - I don't think much has changed since. And thus I suggest insincere argument is also a somewhat dangerous thing - at least in public.

But jmho.... have a good one.

I certainly get that...

Aug 26, 2020, 11:35 AM

the hardest part for me is removing the emotion from the discussion. I tend to agree with Prodigal, you can tell when a person is just trying to stir things up and is not sincere in their "questions." That would be a scoffer. No need to engage that. So, I will ignore it and move on. We cannot do anything about silly or false arguments.

One of the most often misused verse in the Bible is "“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2...especially by nonbelievers. In context, believers are to hold other believers accountable, but it is not our job to judge those not in the faith. That's God's job.

In my opinion, your OP felt a little condescending. I think people can recognize who is sincere and who is fake.

As far as "hating liberals"...that is a struggle. I don't have a lot of warm feelings for Obama. There are few highly partisan posters that get under my skin. But Jesus is clear:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:43-48).

Further, 1 Corinthians 13 tells me that if I have all the wisdom of the universe and do not love, my words are like a "clanging cymbal."

Nothing is learned, or gained, by insulting

Aug 26, 2020, 8:47 AM

those who have differing views. If I don't think a person is interested in learning or having a real discussion, I'll just exit the conversation. The Bible teaches that.

dust off them sandals***

Aug 26, 2020, 10:26 AM

and if you re-read my post, you might come to see that

Aug 26, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Nothing is learned, or gained, by insulting ]

that is exactly what I was getting at.

Best.

Prodigal

Re: Nothing is learned, or gained, by insulting

Aug 26, 2020, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Nothing is learned, or gained, by insulting ]

Prod. Maybe they have a good time doing it?

Replies: 41
| visibility 935
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic