Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is the problem with Watson and Hopkins reasoning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,453

Here is the problem with Watson and Hopkins reasoning

Jun 9, 2020, 1:52 PM

As a 35 year old white male raised in the south I have never been called racist nor do I think anything about slavery or the oppression of black people was a good thing.

With that being said, you cannot judge the beliefs and actions from 200 years ago. Owning slaves was the norm for plantation owners and was seen as a normal part of society. This did not make these men bad people they were merely just exercising the normality of the time.

Also being a slave owner was ultra elite. My ancestors came from Germany in the late 1700s and were laborers on a farm. They were not slaves but they also were not entitled. It seems everyone thinks all white people owned slaves. This is simply not true.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No commenting on the post but let's move on please....***

Jun 9, 2020, 1:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No commenting on the post but let's move on please....***

Jun 9, 2020, 2:00 PM

But its so idiotic...

I am exhausted though...

Jun 9, 2020, 2:03 PM

2020 has been a ###### year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe Nuk and DW are actually smart enough to

Jun 9, 2020, 2:14 PM

know that not all white people owned slaves. I mean, they are college educated and all.

Maybe. Just maybe. Maybe they've experienced some sort of negative interaction at some point in their lives based on the color of their skin. Possibly they have actual living relatives that were discriminated against because of their skin color. Like not allowed in certain establishments. Forced to sit on the back of buses. That kind of stuff.

And perhaps having a name on a building at a place special to them is something they want to change. And maybe they want it changed in effort to continue moving society forward and away from the stories they hear when gathered with family and friends.

So their reasoning has nothing to do with whatever it is you are posting about. And no, it does not seem that everyone thinks all white people owned slaves. That's dumb.

It's not REALLY that hard to understand their perspective on this is it?

Re: Here is the problem with Watson and Hopkins reasoning

Jun 9, 2020, 2:15 PM

This post is not helpful in anyway. I dont care if it was a norm owning and abusing ppl is and never will be cool. Black people understand that all white did not own slaves. The point we make is America became powerful from the years of free labor. We just want respect. I dont want an apology i dont need the democrats wearing African colors i just want respect for me and my children the same as ill give to you. All love bro.

Jun 9, 2020, 2:35 PM

God bless you. All of us need some changing.

Jun 9, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Here is the problem with Watson and Hopkins reasoning ]

This post is not helpful in anyway. I dont care if it was a norm owning and abusing ppl is and never will be cool. Black people understand that all white did not own slaves. The point we make is America became powerful from the years of free labor. We just want respect. I dont want an apology i dont need the democrats wearing African colors i just want respect for me and my children the same as ill give to you. All love bro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the other problem is 2 young Black Clemson graduates having

Jun 9, 2020, 3:44 PM

the nerve to question white authority.

I have never seen such a bunch of snowflakes in my life.
I'm with Nuke and DW4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the other problem is 2 young Black Clemson graduates having

Jun 9, 2020, 4:38 PM

I am too. 57 year old white male. I’m not in favor of rewriting history. I’m not in favor of ignoring history. History is what happened, but that does not mean that we must continue to honor men that don’t meet today’s standards. Societies standards and values change over time. I’m sorry to say that we seem to be excruciatingly slow at change, but still, we are slowly changing.

Surely there are a great many people associated with Clemson University that equally deserve to be honored.....without the baggage.

I am the Great Great Great Grandson of a former Governor of North Carolina. My ancestor used to have his statue on the grounds at the Capitol building in Raleigh. He did in fact do some very good things, but he was also an unapologetic racist. Guess what? No more statue. None of that changes the fact that he did some great things for his State, but it is an acknowledgment that this man had some flaws that by today’s standards we simply cannot continue to ignore and therefore we cannot continue to honor him in this way. Clemson and Calhoun are the same two peas in pod.

One last thought. It is far, far, far better to do the right thing on your own. If you wait to be forced, you do not deserve and will not receive any credit for doing the right thing and that judgment from history will last forever.

Jun 9, 2020, 6:25 PM

But is it a problem you are a racist if everyone else was. It’s not right but it was societal. It was indoctrinated

Jun 9, 2020, 6:29 PM

Actually I meant to say that the term racist means hatred due to someone based off of their race. It doesn’t make it right but also owning slaves doesn’t mean hatred. It just means being very 1776

Jun 9, 2020, 4:52 PM

Maybe I haven't read back far enough but I thought this was
about Nuk.What did DW say?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 6:56 PM

your privilege is showing you racist scum

***sarcasm***

but in truth it doesn’t so much matter how you feel or what’s in your heart

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,453
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic