Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are

Feb 18, 2013, 12:13 PM

revert back in time 4 years. USuC fans casually gave a rip that their baseball program existed. Fact of the matter is they were good then and have been for quite some time. They win a title and MAGICALLY they all love baseball.
I asked a coot co worker a question about their program I knew the answer to. It involved a player for them that literally played the year before the title. He said to me "never heard of him". Pitiful.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are

Feb 18, 2013, 12:28 PM

It's hard to justify that stadium they got if there wasn't demand prior to their titles.

all I can tell you is

Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 PM

most coots i am around (and it is wall to wall here in spartanburg)didn't talk a shred of baseball before their first title...

That's just human nature

Feb 20, 2013, 9:53 AM

It's only natural that getting a national title in a quasi-major sport like baseball will spark increased interest. Getting two national titles in two years, quite naturally, is going to take that enthusiasm over the top.

I've always liked golf and Clemson has been good in golf for quite a while. After their national championship and putting all those guys on the PGA tour, I started following them a lot more than I ever had. For a couple years now, I scan the scores in the paper to see who made the cut and who didn't from the Clemson group. It's just human nature. Of course, their lack of historic success in anything else probably enhances this general human tendancy more so than it would at Notre Dame or Texas.

College baseball isn't a quasi major sport…..

Feb 20, 2013, 9:58 AM

Women's college basketball is way more popular than college baseball. The average sports fan doesn't even keep up with who wins the college world series. The little league world series gets higher ratings than the college world series.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here in cootlumbia, they were very few coots who...

Feb 20, 2013, 9:56 AM [ in reply to all I can tell you is ]

even followed their baseball program in the least.

yep

Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 AM

and like I said they were good before they won their titles.

Re: yep

Feb 20, 2013, 10:50 AM

South Carolina has been near the top nationally in baseball attendance for decades. The program struggled a bit in the mid 90s, but it's baseball support has always been well above average nationally.

To even suggest they didn't care about baseball until the championships is just ignorant.

Have you been following this thread at all?

Feb 20, 2013, 10:53 AM

or do you just jump in at will?

you are wrong...what about the basketball arena? all it

Feb 18, 2013, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are ]

amounts to is spending SEC money. There was no demand for it. the old baseball stadium was a joke

Wasn't the original plan for the stadium to be shared?

Feb 18, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are ]

I thought the county kicked in money because a development league/summer team was going to play there after they lost the bombers. That seemed to fall through pretty quick once the county put up the money.

SCU won't share any of their sports venues with minor...

Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 AM

league teams. SCU has killed minor league sports in Columbia, because they have an inferiority complex.

Re: you are wrong...what about the basketball arena? all it

Feb 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

Do they own the basketball arena though? Pretty sure it has a sponsor name on it and they do pretty big concerts there.

Colonial Dead Life arena rarely has concerts…..

Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM

Littlejohn gets more musical acts than Colonial Dead Life arena.

Feb 18, 2013, 2:22 PM

Just curious who was the player

had to think about it.

Feb 18, 2013, 8:33 PM

Wynn Pelzer

Re: had to think about it.

Feb 20, 2013, 2:34 AM

He wasn't on the 2009 team, his last appearance at Carolina was 2007 and he only pitched 40 innings and had a terrible season. Very forgettable player, in that his last year was basically a complete bust.

If you were a USC baseball fan

Feb 20, 2013, 7:59 AM

you would remember him. Plain and simple.

Feb 18, 2013, 7:37 PM

Gamecock Baseball before the National Championships.....

In the 10 years from 2000–2009, South Carolina posted an impressive 468-201 overall record (179-120 SEC). The 468 overall wins ranked fourth in Division I College Baseball (first among SEC programs), and the 179 SEC victories led the conference for the decade. The Gamecocks made the NCAA Tournament every season, advancing to seven Super Regionals and three College World Series (first CWS berths since 1985). In addition, South Carolina won 40 or more games each season and hit the 50-win mark on three occasions (2000, 2002, 2004). The highlight of the decade was an appearance in the 2002 National Championship game against Texas, who defeated the Gamecocks by a score of 12-6. The 2002 squad finished with a 57-18 mark, setting the record for most season victories in program history.
2000-2004: Winningest Program in NCAA Division I – In the five seasons from 2000 to 2004, South Carolina won more games than any other Division I College Baseball program in the nation (260-87 record). This stretch included five Super Regionals, three College World Series berths, three 50-win seasons, a 99-50 SEC record, three SEC championships (2 season and 1 tournament), and three SEC East titles.

Yes, but do this without wiki or google next time ;P***

Feb 18, 2013, 7:44 PM

Thank you for copy and pasting those stats

Feb 18, 2013, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are ]

You just proved his point.

and that does nothing to change the fact that coot fans….

Feb 20, 2013, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are ]

didn't follow their baseball team at all prior to the national titles.

wikipedia has been known to slant facts because anyone can

Feb 21, 2013, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are ]

add stuff

Re: Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are

Feb 18, 2013, 7:47 PM

He didn't say your baseball team hadn't accomplished anything prior to the titles. He actually said they were good prior to winning them. Thank you for googling pointless numbers that contribute nothing to what this thread was intended to be.

So false

Feb 18, 2013, 7:47 PM

The baseball program has always had a devote following. My experience goes back to the 2000 team. As someone posted above, we wouldn't have gotten the new stadium if there wasn't demand for it

Obviously though more fans follow when the team is doing well. True of any fanbase in any sport.

What is a

Feb 19, 2013, 1:13 PM

"devote following"??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Its when they

Feb 19, 2013, 1:22 PM

don't agree with a pitching change or something. They devote for the choice. :)

devoted****

Feb 19, 2013, 9:00 PM [ in reply to What is a ]

Uhh Nope thats not gonna cut it...

Feb 19, 2013, 9:05 PM

use the term to correct your original post. I wanna see it.

let me help you

Feb 19, 2013, 9:06 PM

"The baseball program has always had a _______ following."
Fill it in.

Re: let me help you

Feb 19, 2013, 10:10 PM

devoted works http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/devoted?qsrc=2446

so does devout

But I guess so you can understand, dedicated.

Re: So false

Feb 20, 2013, 3:02 AM [ in reply to So false ]

Not really.

I have lived in the midlands all my life. Been to plenty of dirt ###### baseball games between my playing days and coaching days in the youth leagues. In the 80's and 90's the only reason there was anybody in the stands was because of the free give aways to youth programs.

I can honesty say that I have been to more South Carolina baseball games than most of my friends that claim to be "lifelong fans"

a small devoted following, you fail to mention….

Feb 20, 2013, 10:06 AM [ in reply to So false ]

I live in Cootlumbia area, and before the national titles it was rare that you would run into a coot fan that kept up with their baseball program or wore any of their baseball merchandise.

the stadium was not because of demand. it was because the

Feb 21, 2013, 8:50 AM [ in reply to So false ]

old one was shabby and they have to spend Alabamas contribution to the SEC somewhere...

Feb 18, 2013, 7:53 PM

Florida fans are worse.

Ask them who their quarterback was before Tebow.

Blank stares.

I know that immediately....

Feb 19, 2013, 1:13 PM

Played against the guy in HS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Chris Leak***

Feb 19, 2013, 1:16 PM

Feb 19, 2013, 10:11 AM

Not everybody is gonna remember a relief pitcher that hasnt played since 2007.. But every fan base has those fans. They aren't die hard fans but still claim to be. Who cares...

I remember him and I am not a uSuC fan

Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 AM

defend them if you want though...

Re: I remember him and I am not a uSuC fan

Feb 20, 2013, 2:37 AM

Do you remember who led Clemson in RBIs in 2007? I do.

Not off hand but I'll bet I remember the player

Feb 20, 2013, 7:58 AM

if you said his name. What is your point?

Re: Not off hand but I'll bet I remember the player

Feb 20, 2013, 1:51 PM

Exactly. So an SC fan forgot a reliever and you forgot your RBI leader. What's the difference?

I don't remember who led in rbi's

Feb 20, 2013, 3:55 PM

I would remember the player. Thats like saying what was so and so's batting average not forgetting the #### player.

I am glad I went back and checked your post history

Feb 19, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Here is a fact that shows what a joke fan base they are ]

The squeaky wheel gets the grease doesn't it, bud?

Sometimes it's Comedy Central around here

Feb 19, 2013, 12:07 PM

...You're really going to term ANYTHING related to USC baseball, including our fans, as "pathetic" because ONE person you know didn't know who a relief pitcher from 2007 was? Heck, I'd probably fail your "litmus test" too.

Carolina Baseball is the gold standard and that includes facilities, coaching, and fans. If you don't believe it, head to Columbia and check out what is regarded as the premier facility in the land, marvel at the crowds, and don't forget to take note of the two National Championship trophies. You'll probably get a kick out of some of the photos of the CWS...your team in in them.

Sheesh. I'll admit you have plenty of material if you need to trash Carolina but pinging baseball is a fools errand. Our basketball team is open season for sure.

I don't doubt you wouldn't know

Feb 19, 2013, 12:10 PM

thats the whole point of my post. Oh and by the way, bandwagoner, he was not obscure but you wouldn't know that since you started paying attention 3 years ago...

Don't break you legs jumping to conclusions

Feb 19, 2013, 1:03 PM

I am not a huge baseball fan and living in Atlanta makes it difficult at best to follow Carolina baseball closely. Any baseball team for that matter.

I'm a Braves fan, too, but honestly don't pay much attention until August / September.

Bandwagoner. LOL....yeah, because College Baseball is such a HUGE sport.

since you are unfamiliar with the situation

Feb 19, 2013, 1:08 PM

why even comment on it?

simple answer, coot logic***

Feb 20, 2013, 10:12 AM

lame excuses, what more could you expect from a coot***

Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Don't break you legs jumping to conclusions ]

your baseball stadium has chicken wire as walls behind...

Feb 20, 2013, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Sometimes it's Comedy Central around here ]

home plate. How is chicken wire for walls a gold standard for facilities? SCU's baseball stadium ain't impressive as coots make it out to be.

2 years hardly constitutes a gold standard..LOL***

Feb 21, 2013, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Sometimes it's Comedy Central around here ]

Re: I remember him and I am not a uSuC fan

Feb 19, 2013, 10:50 AM

What question did you ask him?

My son went to a showcase camp

Feb 19, 2013, 10:54 AM

Among the instructors was a guy in full Orioles gear. I find out it is Wynn Pelzer. I remember him from some of our in state battles with the coots. He threw mid 90's. I sent text to 2 of my coot buddies telling them that he was there and BOTH sent texts back "who is that"?

I love watching their lil sucker knees jerk

Feb 19, 2013, 12:22 PM

Coots are so predictable

My friend heard a coot guy in walmart say to another coot...

Feb 19, 2013, 12:36 PM

(both wear decked out in USC gear)...

And I quote "Who is Connor Shaw?"

It's not just baseball...

Fact is

Feb 20, 2013, 8:11 AM

I can't speak for all fans, just the ones that have exited the closet in the past 3 years. Don't know if they are new fans or just fans that think they've won enough that they aren't scared to say they pull on, I mean for, #####. They talk and talk and talk. They are "big time" baseball fans all year. I asked one Friday about opening weekend and he didn't even know it was opening weekend. I've worked at the same place for 12 years now and there's countless folks that never spoke of sports, never wore clothes that showed team affiliation that now are "big" fans. Actions speak louder than words. All it took for them to come out of the dirt was 1 win over ala., 2 wins in baseball and 4 wins over CLEMSON. If they really won something I don't know how they would act

Re: Fact is

Feb 20, 2013, 4:19 PM

Just the fact that they had to build a new stadium, BEFORE, they won their first National Championship because they need more bleachers shows you are wrong about their fans. Of course they have more fans now just like Clemson has more golf fans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? I don't hear ANYBODY talk about golf

Feb 20, 2013, 5:56 PM

But every Gamecock fan I know is now a baseball fan, and to hear them talk, have been forever.

Feb 20, 2013, 4:33 PM

OH MY GOSH GUYS....guess what? A coot friend of mine didn't know who a relief pitcher in 2007 was. I'm totally starting a thread about that on a clemson site.

OH MY GOSH

Feb 20, 2013, 5:59 PM

Clemson PAYS for planes to use. It just so happens that they use it for recruiting. So a Charleston elected rep. (who is a gamecock)is going to ##### about it! I am TOTALLY going to raise hell about it in the media.
Grow up punk...it is a CLEMSON message board. And yes..your bandwagon fans make me sick.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic