Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Herbstreit: LSU in the top 4 if UGA beats them
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Herbstreit: LSU in the top 4 if UGA beats them

Nov 24, 2019, 6:11 PM

in the SEC championship game (if all other favorites win).

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/1198738132788764672

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

he tried to sell the same secshit last year***

Nov 24, 2019, 6:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Herbstreit: LSU in the top 4 if UGA beats them

Nov 24, 2019, 6:32 PM

Thats what most are saying.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2019, 6:34 PM

I picked this final top four weeks ago. 1. Buck Nuts. 2. Clemson. 3. Nut Lickers. 4. Fake Tiger Rag

If it is OSU, Clemson, UGA, LSU...

Nov 24, 2019, 6:43 PM

which site would OSU select to play in the first round?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Nov 24, 2019, 6:47 PM

My sense would be Herbie is probably wrong.

I think if Utah wins out, they'll be hard to keep out of the playoffs at 12-1. The Pac-12 would mutiny and rightly so.

Alabama got in in 2017 because Ohio State was 9-2 and had a 30-point loss to Iowa on their resume, and USC won the Pac-12 with three losses. Neither could make a credible claim they were in fact one of the top four teams in college football. Utah, if they go 12-1, credibly could. Their one loss would be a 1-touchdown road loss to a ranked 8-4 Southern Cal team, not exactly a humiliation.

The Committee, despite the incessant ESPN politicking, isn't going to jump a 1-loss team with no conference championship over another 1-loss team with one. Conference championships matter. ESPN is just politicking...and frankly, ESPN isn't the center of the college football universe anymore, which is exactly why they are politicking so hard for the product they still do control.

On the other hand, if the Committee does decide conference championships don't matter anymore, Utah likely wouldn't be the team left out.

I think it'd be Georgia. Their loss was to South Carolina, at home, and they've barely survived on numerous occasions since then.

The four best teams, right? Utah would have the same record as UGA (12-1)...and their D is better - their D is #2 in the nation behind only OSU! - and their O is substantially better as well - 20th nationally, compared to UGA's distinctly crappy 62nd overall at just 414.4 yards per game...almost fifty full yards a game less than what Utah generates (461.0)

But does anybody really think this is the year Kirby finally wins a big game anyway?

I agree. IF Utah wins the conference they should get the nod

Nov 24, 2019, 7:12 PM

over a 1-loss non-champion. I'm afraid this committee is too much influence by the talking heads tho, led by ESecPN. If they take a one-loss non-champ over a P5 conference champ, then all heck will break loose. Maybe that's what's needed to rightfully expand this biased mess we have today.

Re: I agree. IF Utah wins the conference they should get the nod

Nov 24, 2019, 11:30 PM

What makes you think the committee ish influenced by the media? You realize who they committee is made up of correct?

Nov 24, 2019, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Herbstreit: LSU in the top 4 if UGA beats them ]

It's my belief that the committee wants to include the Pac-12, and your scenario is the only way it can happen.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

UGA is not getting left out if they beat LSU

Nov 24, 2019, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Herbstreit: LSU in the top 4 if UGA beats them ]

And i think Herbie is right this year. If OSU wins the B1G as expected and UGA beats LSU its

OSU
Clemson
UGA
LSU

Oregon’s loss screwed the PAC 12. They’ll drop outside the top 10 before the title game and LSU will have multiple wins that stack up over anything Utah has done. Even if you remove the Texas game as a good win, They’ve still got wins over Fla, Auburn, and and Bama. And even the Texas win OOC is likely better than anything on Utah’s OOC schedule depending on your opinion of BYU.

The only thing in Utah’s favor is the conf championship and the committee says they only use that to differentiate like teams. The fact they they’ll have LSU at 1 and Utah at 6 before conf. Champ games implies to me they think LSU is significantly better, thus the conf title wouldn’t matter.

Utah needs to hope chalk holds in the conf title games and then they’ve got a chance, although a 1 loss Oklahoma with 2 wins over Baylor, one on the road starts looking better if that’s the case.

Re: UGA is not getting left out if they beat LSU

Nov 25, 2019, 9:00 AM

You just claimed that Auburn's best win would add no credibility to Utah's opponent and Florida's best win is against Auburn. I think LSU had a good run but other than overrated SEC teams, their schedule doesn't have a statement win that separates them from anyone. At the end of the day the conference championship should always be enough to overcome equal records.

null

Nov 24, 2019, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Herbstreit: LSU in the top 4 if UGA beats them ]

What if LSU wins but OSU loses a game ? Where does Oregon fit then ?

Oregon is toast / Utah has the only shot in the PAC 12

Nov 25, 2019, 8:48 AM

The scenario you describe could really make a mess of things. There are two ways OSU can lose 1 game.

Lose to Michian, beat Minnesota/Wisconsin and win the B1G. In that event, OSU is still in and I think the top 4 would look like this.

LSU
Clemson
OSU
Oklahoma/Utah (Assuming both win their respective conf title games, and if so I still think it's Oklahoma over Utah because of Oregon dropping outside the top 10 prior to the Pac-12 title game)

Basically the same 4 teams are in, it's just the seeding that changes if OSU loses to Michigan and still wins the B1G.

The real mess becomes if OSU beats UM but loses to Minnesota in the B1G title game. It would be really hard to take OSU but not Minnesota. Both would have played and beaten Wisconsin and Penn State. Ohio State has a good OOC win over Cincinnati and will get another quality win assuming they beat Michigan. However, Minnesota would have the best win by beating OSU head to head and would be conf champions. I don't see how on earth you could seed OSU ahead of Minnesota in this scenario.

So we would have
LSU
Clemson

After that it's some combination of Minnesota, OSU, Utah, Oklahoma and again, it can't see any justification to rank OSU ahead of Minnesota in this scenario. I think Minnesota becomes the #3 seed.

The four seed I have to think goes to Ohio State. Utah just won't have enough good wins and though the SoCal loss isn't horrible, it's not as good as the loss OSU would have. I think OSU / Oklahoma are closer as OK would have 2 wins over Baylor, but they've got a bad loss and have not dominated some of their lessor opponents to the extent OSU has, so I'd put OSU at 4 even without winning the B1G conf title.

Nov 24, 2019, 6:47 PM

Even if its LSU, UGA, Bama, and Clemson, Clemson wins it all.
But the SEC maxes out their share of the CFP treasure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 24, 2019, 7:04 PM

I can't accept his statements as a 1-loss Utah conference champion or 1-loss OK conference champion should get in prior to any 1-loss non conference champion. Kirk is talking out of his butt like last year when he acted like pathetic UGA should get in. A lame Texas owned that Dawgazz the entire game. Not even close. Kirk is not all that savvy IMO. Being so bad last year should exclude him for a few years from making ignorant statements like this.

There is no way Uga beats lsu, so not worth wasting time

Nov 24, 2019, 7:25 PM

Trying to debunk.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that’s what I’m saying. In what world is UGA going to

Nov 25, 2019, 11:40 AM

Out score the new look LSU?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

talking heads : every game matters

Nov 24, 2019, 7:29 PM

until of course an sec team loses then they get a mulligan ...broken system

its simple id leave out lsu who didnt win their conference

Nov 24, 2019, 7:30 PM

https://twitter.com/repper78/status/1198742129536839681

Let me help out ... Dawgs ain't beating no LSU.***

Nov 24, 2019, 8:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's wrong, NOBODY is losing a CCG and making a 4

Nov 24, 2019, 8:54 PM

team playoff...Simply won't happen

I wouldn't bet on that

Nov 25, 2019, 9:02 AM

Again I see ways both Ohio State and LSU can still get in even if they lose their conference title game.

Utah will have one quality win out and the quality of that win was greatly diminished by Oregon's loss to ASU.

Oklahoma would have 2 wins over Baylor, but they simply are not beating teams with enough style points right now and the K. State loss is the worst of any of the contending teams.

A 1-loss LSU (Bama, Florida, Auburn) or OSU (Michigan, Penn State, will have more quality wins than either of those two and would also have the better one loss. They'd be lacking the conf title but that's not proven to be as important to the committee as resume.

I'll happily take that bet, nobody is losing their CCG and

Nov 25, 2019, 11:01 AM

backing into a 4 team playoff...Simply NOT going to happen, it would undermine the credibility of said CCG and the ADs aren't going to do that for a 4 teamer...PERIOD

Nov 24, 2019, 9:48 PM

Has anyone seen anything from the UGA offense that leads you to believe they can score with LSU?

Not me. LSU by 14.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU's defense is so bad that UGA's offense could actually

Nov 24, 2019, 10:16 PM

make it a game. As long as our Tigers continue to win & are in the top 4 that's only thing I care about.

However, does seem to be some interesting what-ifs floating around (if UGA beats LSU, if O310 St takes a loss, etc.) but that's why they still play the games on the field and not on paper.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic