Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hello Team,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 368

Hello Team,

May 24, 2019, 8:58 AM

What sorts of things do you do to fight moisture in the bathroom. It seems the exhaust fan isn't enough. I'm thinking my sanding job wasn't good enough when I repainted the ceiling because we are already seeing the flaking come back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

egg shell paint

May 24, 2019, 8:59 AM

and light a match

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Cotton balls

May 24, 2019, 9:03 AM

Line the floors and walls with cotton balls. Replace weekly.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They do make "bathroom" paint, iirc.

May 24, 2019, 9:03 AM

Fans need to be left on for like 20 minutes after shower.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yup. What he said......^^^^^

May 24, 2019, 11:07 AM

We learned the hard way in our recent remodeling of our bathrooms. The paint you use around the house is not the right paint for the bathroom. It will show like a rain forest running down the walls with the associated chipping around the corners where the moisture is penetrating. Go to a local paint store and they should fix you up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

grumble grumble.

May 24, 2019, 11:11 AM

I do think I've got to do something with the moister too though. The wall paint isn't showing any damage, but you can see the moister on the walls.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spray that popcorn chit on the ceiling and be done with it***

Mar 1, 2015, 2:47 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make sure

May 24, 2019, 9:08 AM

the fan vent goes all the way outside

The one slacker thing our builder forgot was to connect them to the roof vent so for about a year, all our steam went into the insulation above the bath and caused problems

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

"forgot"

May 24, 2019, 9:23 AM

Our first house was built in 94 and we bought it in 2006 and they had never been connected. We didn't realize until we replaced them and boom...vented directly into moldy insulation.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is one thing I did with my $2500 in repair money.

May 24, 2019, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Make sure ]

I had the add a fan to the smaller bath (that can't be used yet) and make sure the hall bath was going outside because it was not. Those pieces look good.

I think my mistake was not putting mud over the messed up spots I sanded. We did 2 coats of primer and ceiling paint.

use the purple sheetrock***

May 24, 2019, 9:13 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hello Team,

May 24, 2019, 9:20 AM

I have a window in my shower that I open.

One of the luxuries of having a 150 year old house.

Tiling around it, however, not fun.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

We have a window right by the shidder in our new

May 24, 2019, 9:45 AM

house. AWESOME feature. I poop every Sat/Sun morning with the window open listening to the birds and stuff. Can't say enough good things about bathroom windows. I'd love one in my shower aka viewing cube too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'd all appreciate your shower portal too,

May 24, 2019, 10:24 AM

please and thank you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Same problem for me. I hate it when the dirt floor gets

May 24, 2019, 9:21 AM

all muddy. Makes me dread my weekly bath."

- FBCOACH

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: Hello Team,

May 24, 2019, 10:36 AM

If you have access to where the exhaust pipe leaves the house (like, in the attic), then install an inline fan. You can wire it into the same line as the fan in the ceiling.

You can buy a cheap Chinese one for $50 which may make noise or a good quality one (like fantech) for $100 to $200 or used for less, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTECH-FR100-INLINE-CENTRIFUGAL-DUCT-FAN-4-DIAMETER/362650315249?epid=26007109476&hash=item546fa4a9f1:g:~iQAAOSwva1c3AhE

Bathroom fans that sit in the ceiling aren't very strong and the flow of air drops based on the distance the pipe travels and any bends in the pipe, so if you have a 90% bend to get out of the house, you are losing quite a bit of air flow.

Also, you will move the air more quickly if you leave the door open, because the air being removed from the bathroom has to be replaced by air from somewhere else and if the air into the room is restricted, the air out of the room will also be restricted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sup, boss***

May 24, 2019, 10:42 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Just fighting the fight of everybody trying to turn this

May 24, 2019, 10:47 AM

3 day weekend into a 4 day.

Are you certain the moisture is causing the flaking?

May 24, 2019, 11:43 AM

Could you have possibly used latex over oil or maybe even the previous owner. That could cause problems as well. I’d say, scrape, sand, and use a good primer first. Then paint with an egg shell or satin finish. (Most ceilings are flat even in bathrooms.) I’ve seen bathrooms with no ventilation where the paint holds up for years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am not certain. We used the same primer as on the

May 24, 2019, 11:48 AM

walls and then whatever giant bucket of ceiling paint Lowe's had. Same combo as in the laundry and that room has no issues.

I'm thinking moisture wouldn't cause that this quick.

May 24, 2019, 12:19 PM

but generally peeling paint is not compatible, or not prepped right, with what's below it. First house we bought, PO's used something waxy on the baseboards. We had an adhesion problem like yours, had to wipe down with some solvent that is prolly illegal today, prime, and paint.

Enjoy your new home!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 368
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic