Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Former Clemson coach winner of 2015 Stagg Award
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

FB Update: Former Clemson coach winner of 2015 Stagg Award

Jan 14, 2015, 9:39 AM

Former Clemson coach winner of 2015 Stagg Award

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Former Clemson coach winner of 2015 Stagg Award

Jan 14, 2015, 9:51 AM

His existence at Cu should be vacated. Worse than Hootie if that is possible

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty tacky...

Jan 14, 2015, 10:20 AM

to quote the "popular saying" in a story where it had no relevance. Coach Hatfield did a great job in the most deplorable of circumstances. It wasn't his fault he wasn't Danny Ford, and he had nothing to do with Ford being fired. Obviously, others in college football respect him more than Clemson fans. What a shame.

And St. Danny went to Arkansas only to be fired after having

Jan 14, 2015, 10:48 AM

a single winning season out of five, and going 26 -30 -1 overall. Whereas Demon Spawn Hatfield had a five year Arkansas record of 55 - 17 - 1.

However, the Hatfield haters did manage to usher in the era of Tommy West. So they have that going for them.

Danny finally had the players for his system

Jan 14, 2015, 11:17 AM

and was fired before he could reap the benefits. Danny Ford's recruits helped perpetuate the rumor the Houston Nutt is a good football coach.

I am not going to knock Danny as I think a great deal o

Jan 14, 2015, 11:33 AM

of him.
Your logic is partly flawed in that Danny had five years at the helm, more than enough time to establish his system. Further, his only winning season was with someone else's players.

You are correct about Houston Nutt.

Ford was hired in December of '92

Jan 14, 2015, 11:52 AM

Meaning he had almost no chance of having a decent '93 signing class. His first season was also Arkansas' 2nd season in the SEC. His last season Arkansas played against 6 ranked teams, while the next year Arkansas only faced 2 ranked teams during the regular season.

Re: Danny finally had the players for his system

Jan 15, 2015, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Danny finally had the players for his system ]

Hatfield also had the luxury of Danny's players that were already in place when he came to Clemson.

Came in with top 5 talent and totally screwed it up

Jan 14, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Pretty tacky... ]

Did not like Clemson. Thought it was beneath him and his wife. Refused to let a linebacker play, who later made all pro. Said Terry Allen would never make it. Hatfield sucked, worse than Hootie in my opinion.

Re: Came in with top 5 talent and totally screwed it up

Jan 15, 2015, 5:14 AM

And yet all he did was exactly what he was hired to do; clean up the mess Danny left. His last year, all he "did" was go 8-3, beat USuCk and get a Peach Bowl bid. He "resigned" because he had NO support after 4 years of cleaning up the program, as he was hired to do, Good guy really. My only beef with him was losing to Virginia, breaking that unbeaten record.

Hello!!!!

Jan 15, 2015, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Came in with top 5 talent and totally screwed it up ]

Would you have liked Clemson if you came on campus the first day and had to face an angry mob??? Poor old Coach Howard was called in to try and keep it from getting uglier. Coach Hatfield and his wife couldn't go out in public without being disrespected verbally assaulted. I'm sure they didn't like Clemson but they rose above it. They showed far more grace under pressure than I would have in those conditions. I'd have left the first day.

I was on campus during that time

Jan 15, 2015, 12:56 PM

I certainly don't remember any angry mobs to greet Hatfield. I remember that right after he was hired he spoke at an FCA event and it was packed with people who wanted to see the new head coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was on campus during that time

Jan 15, 2015, 1:48 PM

Just a quick quote I found from Baltimore Sun...

"Ford had friends, about 200 of whom showed up to demonstrate at Hatfield's introductory news conference."

I'm sure there's more. In any case, he wasn't treated fairly but he survived and is respected by others if not by Clemson fans.

Jan 14, 2015, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Former Clemson coach winner of 2015 Stagg Award ]

So...you want to forget Hatfield's record.

Let's look at the facts.

32-13-1.... .707% winning percentage..number 6 all time...a lot
better than Frank Howard's

Beat the Coots 3 out of 4

His team won two out of three bowl games ( yes Tommy W coached the
Peach Bowl win, I should say he was present...he wasn't much of a coach).

Won an ACC Championship...which took us 20 year to win again .

He was a good Christian man.

Finally when he left we got Tommy W....What a disaster !!!!!!

Jan 14, 2015, 2:44 PM

Hatfield was a mediocre coach who won as long as he had Danny's players, and was seemingly more committed to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes than to recruiting.

But let's not forget the real villain: a whiff of NCAA investigation allowed AD Bobby Robinson the mojo to definitively win his pissing contest with Ford.

By the time he left he had already ruined the program..***

Jan 14, 2015, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Former Clemson coach winner of 2015 Stagg Award ]

So is this an award for being a coach for a very long time?

Jan 14, 2015, 11:19 AM

because he didn't really accomplish anything after he left Arkansas.

He is tied with Dabo for ACC Championships.***

Jan 14, 2015, 11:33 AM

Wow ! Just think....Dabo did it without Danny's players !***

Jan 15, 2015, 9:31 AM

There is absolutely, positively, no comparison between Dabo and Hatfield ! Hatfield was a coaching and recruiting disaster at Clemson and Baylor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes he was. Then he was replaced with someone worse!

Jan 15, 2015, 9:56 AM

Danny is a legend. Hatfield not so much. However, it is kinda tacky to keep on bashing the guy.

Bingo !***

Jan 15, 2015, 9:33 AM [ in reply to So is this an award for being a coach for a very long time? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield...and Max Lennon

Jan 14, 2015, 10:13 PM

Most CU fans dislike Ken Hatfield ( he was a good man, just a mediocre football coach ). Don't forget that NC State grad Max Lennon sentenced us to those 20 years of crappy football by choosing Hatfield to lead off. Wonder what kind of awards ol' Max has won for killing Clemson football?!

Sorry, not Max Lennon or Ken Hatfield.

Jan 15, 2015, 12:50 PM

It was Clemson fans who "sentenced us to 20 years of crappy football." If you recall, poor old 20-year-retired Coach Howard had to come out on the day Coach Hatfield arrived to try to pacify the angry crowd and avoid an even uglier scene.

If Coach Hatfield had been treated fairly, he could've had success at Clemson as he did in other places. But the Danny-lovers wouldn't give him a chance. As someone posted earlier, that led to the great Tommy West era and how did that work out?

Jan 14, 2015, 10:18 PM

Ken Hatfield was a good football coach and a better man. Things didn't go well for him here. No use to vilify him. Congratulations to Coach Hatfield on the award.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic