Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heisman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Heisman

Dec 7, 2016, 8:46 AM

I don't see any way around Deshaun not getting this award, truthfully, with all the media pundits clearly stating that Watson is the one player on any given team that can beat Bama and has already proven so in last year's CFPs.

I get Jackson is a great runner, not QB, or he would have gotten an actual QB award by now.

Watson also exemplifies all the quality traits beyond the field of play that such an award claims to covet (in a good manor).

It will be a shame and discredit if the voters do not take this opportunity to award, Deshaun, for all that he has done and I am not saying this in regards exclusively for DW4, but also for all the impressionable young people who can gain from seeing this highlight on a truly outstanding role model.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heisman

Dec 7, 2016, 8:56 AM

I have a feeling Deshaun will win.

And if he does it will be the biggest Heisman upset ever

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, agree but Johnny Manzell types sell more tix & mags

Dec 7, 2016, 8:58 AM

And generate way more hype for the sports masses who want eye candy action over smooth substance & true character.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Manzell's get old real quick. Flash in the pan who

Dec 7, 2016, 10:50 AM

fizzled.

I do believe Jackson is the most exciting player

Dec 7, 2016, 9:03 AM

in college football. However, like I told a friend who asked me who I thought the best college QB was. With less than 2 minutes to go, down by 4, there is no QB I'd rather have than Watson and that should be a big part of who gets it IMHO.

Re: I do believe Jackson is the most exciting player

Dec 7, 2016, 9:08 AM

Not after his last few games, dude is a hack and can't perform against a decent defense

The problem seems to be...

Dec 7, 2016, 9:05 AM

that many of the Heisman voters don't bother to conduct any actual research before voting. They allow their votes to be swayed by a certain segment of the media who pretty much gift wrapped the award for Lamarville six weeks ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The problem seems to be...

Dec 7, 2016, 9:19 AM

I agree with you. I have faith in Deshaun. I do not have faith in the Heisman voters.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% on target!!***

Dec 7, 2016, 10:52 AM [ in reply to The problem seems to be... ]

And that's absurd.***

Dec 7, 2016, 11:22 AM [ in reply to The problem seems to be... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I agree 100%. And furthermore, as soon as

Dec 7, 2016, 9:06 AM

Jabril Peppers took a swing at an OSU fan after their rivalry game, he never should've received votes.

DW4 is the only finalist in the playoffs. He's an outstanding student-athlete, earning his degree in such a short amount of time. He's only lost 3 games his entire career as a starter. Top 3 Heisman finalist last year with all of the expectations, weight and pressure on him this year and all he did was get his team back to the playoffs and is a finalist again.

One more stat, of the other 4 finalists...he's lead his team to wins over 3 of them, while losing to none of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jabril Peppers took a swing at an OSU fan?

Dec 7, 2016, 9:09 AM

You're making it sound like that was wrong?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yes he did, and yes it is***

Dec 7, 2016, 9:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He has no business winning the heisman

Dec 7, 2016, 9:18 AM [ in reply to I agree 100%. And furthermore, as soon as ]

But he didn't "take a swing" at a fan.

Here's what happened:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigans-jabrill-peppers-shoves-an-ohio-state-fan-after-buckeyes-wild-win/

Not saying what he did was right, especially since the fan in question wasn't taunting him, but it was a shove and not a swing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've watched the video several times

Dec 7, 2016, 9:22 AM

It looks like a little more than just a shove, from an athlete in full pads with a fan who is just trying to get out of the way.

Re: Shove, not a swing

Dec 7, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to He has no business winning the heisman ]

Oh good, that makes it so much better...

...smh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Well said GWP. Sadly facts are lost on a lot of the

Dec 7, 2016, 10:57 AM [ in reply to I agree 100%. And furthermore, as soon as ]

voters.

Watson will not win the Heisman.

Dec 7, 2016, 9:07 AM

9% of voters already voted way before the ACC championship and you can bet 100% of those 9% voted for Lamar.

That means you had to sway 60% of the voters with one game who probably knew who they were voting for four months ago.

I hope like hell I am wrong, but I fear I am not.

Re: Watson will not win the Heisman.

Dec 7, 2016, 9:13 AM

I believe your assuming that none of 9% went towards DW4.

I'm not so sure that is a correct assumption.

While I think Mark May is an absolute moron....

Dec 7, 2016, 9:17 AM

I must admit to agreeing with at least one thing that he said earlier this week.

For those people who submitted their Heisman votes early, not only should those votes not count, those early voters should be permanently stripped of their voting credentials.

Then change the rules

Dec 7, 2016, 9:20 AM

If the organization says they can vote early, then they can't really punish them for doing so.

The argument for most of the folks who voted early is that the Heisman should be regular season only, and as such they voted after the regular season.

Not saying I agree, but it isn't exactly an outlandish argument.

Re: Then change the rules?!

Dec 7, 2016, 10:01 AM

Thom, were you ever on a debate team in school, or perhaps in the debate club? Or is it that you are that convinced LJ is going to win the Heisman?

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that, and while I too, have my doubts about Deshaun's chance(s); however, it appears you are set on arguing or countering any points counter to (what I perceive to be) your belief.

Not trying to start an argument - just making an observation.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

No, I wasn't on the debate team

Dec 7, 2016, 10:18 AM

I've said before and I'll say it again, that Watson is the best QB in the country and I'd take him every situation, every game, every time over Jackson.

But, Jackson is getting the hype and is a heckuva player. He's not a bad choice for Heisman, though I think Watson would be a better one. But I can't argue that if (and in my opinion when) Jackson wins that it's rewarding an undeserving player. There are finalists who I think are undeserving (Peppers among them), but Jackson's numbers are silly and deserving of winning.

I think Watson means more to his team, has won more, has performed better when it mattered, and is a better representative of his team, and if I had a vote he'd be #1. But my impression of voters I've heard speak is that too many of them have Watson lower on the list (some not at all), and I can't imagine many ballots won't have Jackson as 1 or 2. It's s numbers game at that point, and it doesn't, IMO, look good for Watson.

But really, my previous post had nothing to do with who should win, but more to do with an organization knowingly granting folks the freedom to vote early and base their votes on what matters most to them. There is a subset of voters who view it as a "regular season only" award and as such vote before the conference championship games. Barring clarification or direction from the Heisman organization, I can't fault the voters for following the rules as they are set out.

Again, Watson is the most deserving candidate in my mind. However it certainly seems that popular opinion of voters seems to be pointing to Jackson holding the trophy.

I can't think of a time that a player receiving the hype that Jackson is receiving hasn't won the trophy. I hope this is the first instance, for sure.

Remember last year much???

Dec 7, 2016, 11:33 AM

When DW was on multiple sports magazine covers(i have them all) and received all that hype, he still didn't win....

Re: Remember last year much???

Dec 7, 2016, 11:52 AM

Sure, he was hyped, but the Heisman hype was always solidly behind Henry. Everyone knew he was going to win going into it.

That's even more of an argument for not voting early

Dec 7, 2016, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Then change the rules ]

@tiger_thom, there are 2 Heisman finalists who had not completed their regular season at the time 9% of the votes had already been received. So if they're going to go with the regular season BS they should have waited until after last Saturday was over.

Except

Dec 7, 2016, 10:25 AM

They argue that the championship games are not regular season games.

Except Oklahoma and Oklahoma State was a regular

Dec 7, 2016, 10:28 AM

season game on Saturday. 2 Heisman finalists played in that game. So that argument is complete BS.

That is true.

Dec 7, 2016, 10:29 AM

I'm not advocating the position, just sharing what I'd heard.

But you bring up a very good point there

Why should voters WANT to vote before all the

Dec 7, 2016, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Then change the rules ]

relevant games are played? Surely casting a vote is not that bothersome or time consuming for such a prestigious award.

but for some teams, including Oklahoma...

Dec 7, 2016, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Then change the rules ]

the regular season didn't end until last weekend.

That's a good argument, why didn't I think of that?***

Dec 7, 2016, 1:08 PM

because you're a moran?***

Dec 7, 2016, 1:52 PM

Watson will get a bunch of 1st place votes

Dec 7, 2016, 9:27 AM

but he will be left off the ballot entirely by many voters out west and up north who vote for for the OU/Mich guys or Washington/Stanford/USC/SD State players.

Jackson will be on practically every ballot.....that's why he will win.

Jackson will win but it'll be close

Dec 7, 2016, 10:10 AM

According to Joe Tessitore who does ESPN's "Heismanology" where they poll official Heisman voters.

Re: Jackson will win but it'll be close

Dec 7, 2016, 10:30 AM

3 loss heisman is absurd! It's a travesty if that happens. DW4 has been the best player both of the last 2 years. Head to head, division champ, conference champ, cfp, etc. how can a player lose his last 2 games and win this award? Heisman lost almost all cred for me when Spiller wasn't invited to be a finalist. If LJ wins based on all the above bad factors, I'm totally done.

Dec 7, 2016, 10:24 AM

I remember another great QB and great person who deserved to win but didn't, Peyton Manning. He's done pretty well since then.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jackson is winning. Go to the UK boards to debate them.

Dec 7, 2016, 10:54 AM

Here you are just preaching to the echo chamber.

Re: Jackson is winning.

Dec 7, 2016, 11:09 AM

I agree and I hate it. DW4 came into this season with so much hype and I'm not sure anyone could have lived up to it. There were points, mid-way through the season that people on this very bored were saying how his numbers were WAY down. In reality, the numbers were better at most times of the season (interceptions are the exception).

The term "video game numbers" has been used many times to describe Jackson's performance. I feel as if he had either one of his last two performances earlier in the season and any loss to another team besides Clemson early, DW4 would have a shot. Instead, Jackson will only get 50-60% of the votes instead of 90%. DW4 will get 30+% and the rest will divide the remaining votes.

I HATE IT but that's how I see it happening. I hope I am wrong.

Re: Jackson is winning. Go to the UK boards to debate them.

Dec 7, 2016, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Jackson is winning. Go to the UK boards to debate them. ]

I'm not debating anyone, just getting it off my chest and giving respect where it is due.

If they only gave it to true QBs, I think you would be

Dec 7, 2016, 11:02 AM

right. Jackson is a glorified running back playing QB, but flashy wins the Heisman lately. If it was a character award, Watson would win in the biggest landslide since George McGovern got trounced by TrickyDick. (Well, maybe not a good analogy, we all know how THAT turned out!) :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2016, 11:21 AM

It's going to be a blowout. Probably the reason five are being invited is because Jackson has so many votes that 2-5 are tightly clustered together.

It sucks because I think DW4 is better, but I doubt there's any way to overcome the media hype.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic