Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruit Update: Clemson to visit in-home with Florida WR
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Recruit Update: Clemson to visit in-home with Florida WR

Jan 14, 2013, 10:21 AM

Clemson to visit in-home with Florida WR

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm... I thought we weren't gonna sign guys...

Jan 14, 2013, 10:27 AM

just to sign guys...

Who says we are? IF our coaches think they can help Clemson

Jan 14, 2013, 10:33 AM

they will sign them.

Just because he wasn't at the top of our board doesn't mean we're just signing a warm body.

This guy is plan D... Miss Robinson and Jenkins

Jan 14, 2013, 10:43 AM

Then went after Clark... appears we're missing on him too...

Now we've offered that Kyrin kid that's a 4/3*

And now there's this kids thats solid 3*...

Why don't we just wait till next class and sign some 4/5* talent and save a scholly. We have plenty of receivers for next year.

agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit.........

Jan 14, 2013, 10:58 AM

contributor

throw on all the "diamond in the rough" feel good stories ya want..........he'll never make a meaningful contribution

wait til next year........or better yet......if we're gonna "throw away" a scholly.......throw it away on a DEFENSIVE PLAYER.....or OLINEMAN

Re: agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit.........

Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 AM

really "never"

That is a really strong word.

I am guessing you said the same about AK when he was signed as well though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

actually no i didn't say that about kelly.........

Jan 14, 2013, 11:08 AM

with decent hands and speed..........and a 6-5 frame to work with he had legit potential

reason he wasnt higher than a 3 star was probably b/c he was the same weight as a broom stick

Re: agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit.........

Jan 14, 2013, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit......... ]

what about Humphries, i can remember all the whiners and criers on this one..why waste a scholly, Dabo doesnt know what he is doing, whine whine sob sob..nut up people and just let things play out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, just like Humphries.***

Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 AM [ in reply to agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit......... ]

he was NEVER a fallback.......or a "throw away" scholly.....

Jan 14, 2013, 11:06 AM

his film was very good and was a legit player in HS

and not a bad player AT ALL to offer to help out with peake

some guys you can just tell

humphries nor grisham were "BAD OFFERS"

Yet this board went crazy when we offered both of those guys

Jan 14, 2013, 11:14 AM

The fact is, we don't know who will contribute and who won't so don't be so quick to make "never" type statements.

don't care what the "board" did.....i didn't have a problem

Jan 14, 2013, 11:17 AM

with it

was I jumping up and down?.......no

but they were good offers to solid players that had very good potential of "making a difference" on the field

Heck, you should be a coach then. You obviously know more

Jan 14, 2013, 11:18 AM

than they do.

i've been following recruiting long enough..........

Jan 14, 2013, 11:23 AM

to see a trend with "plan D" fallback throwaway scholly just to meet quota players.

I still say if you're gonna give a scholly just to give it.................."SPEND IT" on an OLINEMAN that could "barry richardson" on you or a Defensive player of some sort

wait to get the WR next year to a REAL player

the problem is clemson did exactly that last year pheebo...

Jan 14, 2013, 11:29 AM

it's next year this year.

jenkins & robinson really screwed the pooch mcintoshing so late in the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the problem is clemson did exactly that last year pheebo...

Jan 14, 2013, 11:37 AM

I get that.......still doesn't change the fact that he won't ever make a legit impact at clemson (this is another jeff ogren or jon richt)

but how about throwing away a scholly on and OLineman........seems like every year the coaches say we lack depth behind the starters

or a defensive player.......somewhere we're struggling

i don't think you do get it tbh. cu will have 17 olineman

Jan 14, 2013, 11:44 AM

on scholarship with morris & crowder; 17 is the high end as D1 programs carry 15-17.

s watkins
a humphries
c peake
m bryant
g hopper

that's it. sammy and depending on what happens with bryant in 2014 may both be gone; all of them save hopper are draft eligible after 2013. it is a glaring hole in an offense that runs a 3 wide out O.

hell, you can hardly practice if 1 or 2 get dinged.

i don't believe the staff will offer someone that can't help, but there's no doubt they are down the list now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's easy to pick out a handful of low star guys

Jan 14, 2013, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Heck, you should be a coach then. You obviously know more ]

that ended up successful than look at the countless 3* guys that come in and out of are program with very few snaps through an entire career. The "coaches know what they're doing argument is dumb here in this situation"

Of course they know what they're doing, and it appears they're adding depth where it's needed. My argument is that its not absolutely necessary to have depth at WR next year for depth's sake. Would seem far smarter to save a scholly and bring in SEVERAL talented WR's in the 2014 class.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats what they all said about Coty Sensabaugh too***

Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 AM [ in reply to agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit......... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep throw on all the "feel good stories" you want.........

Jan 14, 2013, 11:18 AM

this guy.........should we sign him will NEVER make a legit impact

Can you tell me what the Powerball will be this Wednesday

Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 AM

also?

no but I can tell you what the powerball won't be***

Jan 14, 2013, 11:26 AM

All I'm saying Pheebo is don't be so certain about a

Jan 14, 2013, 1:09 PM

recruit's future success or failure. Any recruit. Especially one you've never seen play in person.

You say you have followed recruiting a long time. My youngest daughter graduated from Clemson the same year as you. I have been following recruiting since before you were born. And I can tell you there is not a bigger crapshoot than predicting how a high school player will develop.

I agree that I would rather have 4 and 5 star guys than 2 and 3 star guys. But I've seen way too many can't miss prospects miss. And way too many nobodies turn out to be all stars.

It's not "feel good" stories. It's facts.

Re: Tell them. I remember when Vince Robinson was the

Jan 14, 2013, 3:15 PM

absolute can't miss. So were Billy Luckie and many more.

How many saw Rod Gardner as a 1st Round NFLer when

Jan 14, 2013, 3:17 PM

we signed him? He certainly wasn't a highly rated QB prospect either.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here ya go

Jan 14, 2013, 3:18 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13478786

Vince Robinson, Billy Luckie, Michael Carr, Lawrence Mitchel

Jan 14, 2013, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Tell them. I remember when Vince Robinson was the ]

Mike McIntosh, etc. The list goes on and on.

And I'm not saying don't recruit 4 and 5 star players. Just don't peg them as stars or failures until they have given you a reason to do so.

Re: All I'm saying Pheebo is don't be so certain about a

Jan 14, 2013, 5:12 PM [ in reply to All I'm saying Pheebo is don't be so certain about a ]

I agree, Baron. As a football manager saw a lot of "can't miss" who never saw the field on game day except from the stands. And plenty the other way. Pheebo never misses a chance to say something negative about Clemson cause they didn't ask him who should be head coach.

Re: I bet you said the same about Shuey too.***

Jan 14, 2013, 3:10 PM [ in reply to yep throw on all the "feel good stories" you want......... ]

You could be inspiring him to greatness

Jan 14, 2013, 11:55 AM [ in reply to agreed....if we sign him...he'll NEVER be a legit......... ]

except NO one cares what you post. Thanks for trying.

Re: Well, there are only 4 or5 people who are qualified to

Jan 14, 2013, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Hmmm... I thought we weren't gonna sign guys... ]

play a certain position each years. I am sure Dabo will have someone for each
scholarship. I think he learned his lesson after his first recruiting class

As great as recruiting may be going overall, it looks like

Jan 14, 2013, 10:39 AM

we keep slipping backward at WR.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: As great as recruiting may be going overall, it looks like

Jan 14, 2013, 10:47 AM

only two guys decommitted but I agree with you. not a trend we want to get into. I really think the whole commitment thing needs to be taken with a grade of slaw. Jenkins was recruiting for us on his visit and then is gone as soon as Tenn says boo the first time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand when guys who have been committed to

Jan 14, 2013, 11:05 AM

Clemson since they were sophomores or juniors having a change of heart at some point in the process, simply because most teenagers are apt change quite a bit over that span of their lives, say between ages 15-18. I think committing so young is a mistake, and when we get committments from guys that early, we have to know it's gonna be shaky. Let's say a kid commits to us in his sophomore year, but then in his junior year or early in his senior year, I don't blame him one bit if he has a change of heart; besides, at that stage we have plenty of time to go after other top-tier recruits.

I hope we get Watson, but I think it's unrealistic to expect him to remain steadfast in his "commitment" all the way through. As long as we have adequate notice, I don't hold it against him.

What I do have a problem with, is guys like Jenkins and Robinson who back out this late in the game, which makes it extrordinarily difficult for us to make up lost ground when trying to re-connect with recruits we had backed off of previously, and/or have to resort to fall-back recruits and likely leaves us with a hole in our recruiting plan.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

i have more of a problem with robinson than jenkins.......

Jan 14, 2013, 11:14 AM

robinson went back and forth (depending on what coach/school talked to him last). I think he liked the social media attention too much

jenkins (after reading more about him) apparently ALWAYS wanted to go to UT, but didn't get offered until recently...................honestly if i was in his position committed to another school and the "school of my dreams offered" (clemson).....i'd jump ship as well.

Guys want to play.

Jan 14, 2013, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: As great as recruiting may be going overall, it looks like ]

They may have came to Clemson if they didn't let it bother them on how deep we are at receiver. Nobody can tell if a recruit is going to start right away, no matter where they go, but you have some players that think they should automatically get on the field because they are the #1, 2, 3 recruit in the region....blah blah blah. So they look at and listen to more sugary sweet promises elsewhere and then they are gone.

Asiantii Woulard

Jan 14, 2013, 6:48 PM

If Clemson can land a quick verbal from AW, I'm wondering if they shouldn't go after Ahmad Fulwood.

just saying...

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic