Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hearing pretty big news from today at Clemson- NEW ARENA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Hearing pretty big news from today at Clemson- NEW ARENA

Aug 17, 2013, 8:19 PM

I think this is great news, but I'm sure some will be upset.

BREAKING: Clemson to Build New Basketball Arena wp.me/p11wXK-X1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to doubt you, but without sources it's simply a rumor***

Aug 17, 2013, 8:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hearing pretty big news from today at Clemson- NEW ARENA

Aug 17, 2013, 8:28 PM

so vague. article reads like a tnet rumor post

Aug 17, 2013, 8:32 PM

Perhaps it is a rumor but the AD said it. I heard it with my own 'years;! Seating reduced to around 8500 with an emphasis on student seating.

Aug 17, 2013, 8:56 PM

Where will it go?

right next to Littlejohn. Littlejohn to be used for intramurals, concerts,

Aug 17, 2013, 9:20 PM

other University uses, not just the Athletic Dept. Many prime parking spaces will be lost between LJ and Hwy 93. Ravenel Rd, Lot 3, Lot 3A. Most details came from Bob Mahoney, Major Gifts, but DRad did mention the lower seating number, citing Miami, Duke, etc. with smaller seating than LJ.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Interesting. When/where did he say it?

Aug 17, 2013, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Hearing pretty big news from today at Clemson- NEW ARENA ]

I'd think it would be being reported a good bit if it came directly from the AD's mouth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Waste***

Aug 17, 2013, 8:57 PM

Then stay away when it's done

Aug 17, 2013, 9:08 PM

I heard the same junk when Bowden proclaimed our football facilities needed a major upgrade. Dabo is clearly getting some benefit from the moves made. Basketball will be the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big bucks to downsize? GT did that in FB.

Aug 17, 2013, 9:37 PM

May have in basketball (not sure). To me it seems like admitting defeat. When we won wasn't LJ near full with Barnes and OP?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basketball and Football are different.***

Aug 17, 2013, 9:42 PM

Besides the obvious how so?***

Aug 17, 2013, 9:43 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Number of games is biggest issue

Aug 17, 2013, 9:48 PM

Coupled with midweek games in an area which requires the majority of fans to commute a bit, and you're left with a lower demand for every game.

The idea, and I'm not arguing it will pan out, is that by making a nicer and slightly smaller arena you get folks interested and give it a "filled" vibe for most every game.

Re: Besides the obvious how so?***

Aug 17, 2013, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Besides the obvious how so?*** ]

If you don't know the difference between the crowd sizes between the two sports your just not paying attention....but here you go

1. Mid week games for basketball
2. A ton more games
3. A lot less competition in terms of name brand for the entire season. I.E. your playing Charleston Southern, PC, Furman, Scar of the world no matter who you are (Duke, UNC and the big boys fill their schedules as well)
4. This facility is specifically for Clemson basketball. Not rock concerts or carnivals. LJ was built as a multipurpose. Colonial Arena was also built for that purpose to hold carnivals and concerts..........and it has failed miserably

Would you like to keep going? Football and basketball are a world apart.

So you'd rather be like SCU and have a 17,000

Aug 18, 2013, 8:21 AM [ in reply to Big bucks to downsize? GT did that in FB. ]

seat areana 1/3 full most of the time? We don't make substantial money off of hoops ticket sales, all the money comes from media contracts. Littlejohn, with just 10,000 seats, has had exactly 1 season where it's been sold out. What's the big deal?

I haven't heard a "New Arena" announcement, but it's a given

Aug 17, 2013, 9:07 PM

that we are getting new facilities, which one would almost assume means a new arena. I know there has been no official announcement with a timeline or any details, but it's assumed it's gonna happen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Have to think by 2015/16 it's done. Play next season in LJ

Aug 18, 2013, 8:24 AM

since it will still be there. Much better situation that when we played in Anderson when LJ was being renovated

As long as football funds will be unaffected, I don't really

Aug 17, 2013, 11:10 PM

care one way or another. I will say that it was stupid that we just spent a bunch of money renovating Littlejohn several years ago if we are about to build a whole new arena.

Question

Aug 18, 2013, 12:04 AM

Why can't they take out/level the upper decks of LJ? this would decrease seats and add big bucks to area people otherwise assume not sit.

We are going to have some pretty good teams coming..

Aug 18, 2013, 9:50 AM

to Clemson soon with Syracuse adding to the mix. Might as well not have an outdated dump for them to play in. Littlejohn is old and either needs to be completely remodeled or rebuilt.

IMO if we are ALL IN with our Tigers then we need to give them the best arena we can. Look at Death Valley, the new golf complex, Doug Kingsmore. We can do this and still maintain our palace over at the Valley. Football gets the vast majority of the money anyways. The athletic department knows not to mess with the cash cow.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

I guess the renovations we completed previously

Aug 18, 2013, 9:53 AM

were a complete waste of money

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I here ya but honestly..

Aug 18, 2013, 10:01 AM

how many coats of paint can you put on an almost 45 year old arena? The new additions that we did a couple years back should be fine but the main arena needs some help seriously. Have you ever looked up into the rafters and noticed the peeling paint?

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

So what is the general consensus with Terry D Phillips?

Aug 18, 2013, 10:02 AM

Did he just blow millions away on LJ when really a new arena just should have been built? Seems today it was just a total waste of funding building a new roof and moving some seating around. The cosmetics on the outside are still tacky.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look at it this way ......................

Aug 18, 2013, 11:04 AM

with the addition of four new teams to the league, Clemson just dropped four places in the standings. In order to give Coach B what he needs to recruit and compete with the new league, changes such as this are necessary. It is very important for Clemson basketball to attract the student population and fill the gym every game. This is NOT being done now. Hopefully with the new arena, better seating will help get the students involved in the game, a la Duke and other schools.
As for Littlejohn, I expect it to become a more useful facility for concerts etc.
Regardless of what many of you think, this is another positive for Clemson. GO TIGERS

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic