Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heard Philpott say on the radio
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 4,571

Heard Philpott say on the radio

Dec 10, 2013, 6:51 PM

That the only person with the athleticism enough to be a Spy on B Miller on the Tiger roster was Kearse. He didn't think our backers had enough speed. Sounded plausible to me.

Whatever we did against the coots needs to be changed for OSU. Miller is quick and shifty. Stopping him is the key to our success on D. We gotta make him try to beat us with his arm.

Who should we use as a spy in your opinion? Is Philpott right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beasley

Dec 10, 2013, 6:55 PM

I say roll with a three man line or whatever you have to do and let him roam.

Re: Beasley

Dec 10, 2013, 7:06 PM

You did see that Mizzou played a 3 man line against Auburn and that didn't work to well. You can't play a 3 mn line against B.Miller and C. Hyde they will gash us all day long. I don't understand why teams don't try a 5 man front (as long as the offense isn't in a 5 wideout formation) against teams like OSU and Auburn, and trust the DB's to cover man on the outside. I am not sure but I don't think OSU has a wideout that scares anyone to my knowledge and Braxton is a career less than 60% completion percentage rate type QB. I know one thing if it was me they are going to have no choice but to beat me throwing, I am coming with 7-8 in the box until they show they can beat us throwing. I am playing a 5 man front with Anthony and Shuey on the outside and bringing Blanks/Kearse down the middle just on formation that allow us to play that way....

Dec 10, 2013, 7:24 PM

I agree. Y'alls front 7 is a strength except when getting burned by scrambling qbs. So play to your strength, go aggressive on braxton, and make him beat you with his arm. I said last year I thought lsu was a good matchup for clemson and think osu could be the same. They have not seen the kind of offensive prowess y'all have. Clemson will score. Stop miller from using his legs and clemson has a very good chance of winning.

Dec 10, 2013, 7:28 PM

I hope our coaches watch video of what FSU/USC did when playing Clemson to see how to pressure a QB into making pressured decisions that lead to turnovers.

Dec 10, 2013, 7:33 PM

Think beasley, crawford, and jarrett can get pressure. Question is who is gonna be there if he makes a man miss.

Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 AM

I really think Clemson has the better team and matches up better man for man against Ohio State. The only disadvantage I see may be giving Irban four weeks to game plan.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2013, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Beasley ]

Good words Mark, I agree with you for the most part. Miller isn't the passer that Shaw is and I think part of the reason we lost to USC was because Venables could help but respect Shaw's ability as a passer. He isn't the guy he was 2 years ago who would look once and then run all over the field. He is much more patient and can make some reads. Miller gets a lot of designed runs but if he could be contained then we have a chance. If Braxton Miller and their offense beats the defense through the air, then so be it. I just don't want to see another game like we played against your Gamecocks a few weeks ago.

Use the Wide Tackle Six!!!

Dec 10, 2013, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Beasley ]

Use to give option teams fits when Jerry Claiborn ran it at VaTech and Maryland. You could never set the edge and get outside..... Not sure it would help against OST but FSU should use it against Auburn...... Six down lineman One LB and four DB's...... They would never get outside...

Re: Use the Wide Tackle Six!!!

Dec 10, 2013, 8:48 PM

No, but they would deep ball and screen pass us to death. The six and seven man fronts are relics from the days of which the players were much slower than they are now.

Kearse or Beasley. Rotate***

Dec 10, 2013, 7:03 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Quandon Christian played well when he was the spy. But

for some strange reason we stopped using him and started using lineman who are much too slow to deal with shaw. Corey Crawford as an example, he read the play several times and took off after shaw as soon as shaw made a move, but shaw was just too fast for him and would end up slipping by him. I think Quandon or stephone Anthony have the speed to contain Braxton miller.

Re: Heard Philpott say on the radio

It really burns me to this day that Dabo Passed Over Roy Philpott and hired Brent Venables instead last year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2013, 7:07 PM

We don't need any spy's on Braxton. I heard on coot talk yesterday by the host that OSU ddidn't want to be at the Orange bowl just like LSU. So this should be an easy one for us.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kearse is too slow***

Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kearse is too slow***

Dec 10, 2013, 7:17 PM

Kearse is very fast... He's just rangy and not very quick. There is a difference. And there are many safeties in the NFL that fit the exact same mold.

Re: Kearse is too slow******

Dec 10, 2013, 7:39 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about Tony Steward? Runs a 4.5 and strong like Bull!

Dec 10, 2013, 7:54 PM

Just grasping at straws here

Tony Steward needed against OSU.

Dec 10, 2013, 9:22 PM

This kid needs to be out there on the field. He's too quick to be on the bench as a backup. This kid would have stopped Connor Shaw with ease.

Re: Tony Steward needed against OSU.

Dec 10, 2013, 10:04 PM

Our coaches are not smart enough to understand that Steward is needed to counteract Miller's speed. Shuey is too smart for Miller to out run him. That is the mentality of our coaches.

Re: Don't think that this guy can't throw.***

Dec 10, 2013, 8:02 PM

Beasley makes no sense....you lose a pass rush

Dec 10, 2013, 9:25 PM

I think Korrin Wiggins would be ideal. One of our former DC's used DMac as a spy very successfully.

Re: Beasley makes no sense....you lose a pass rush

Dec 10, 2013, 10:01 PM

We still have to be run stopping solid. They have another 1000yd back besides Miller. Miller's spy has to be someone other than Beasley.

Dec 10, 2013, 10:29 PM

And if he does run...knock him into next week!!!

Good thing

Dec 10, 2013, 11:29 PM

They aren't as dumb as you

I think the whole "spy" thing is a term from the past.

Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 PM

It was much easier to have a player focus on another player before the advent of spread offenses. With more complex plays being called and utilizing more players in an offense, you simply cannot use one guy to account for one other guy the whole game. Any offensive coordinator worth a nickle would pick up on that immediately and use plays in the vacated zones etc.

The days of Levon Kirkland spying on Major Harris are long gone.

LOLWUT?

Dec 11, 2013, 12:26 AM

it is still a widely used technique.

I don't believe that's the case. Feel free

Dec 11, 2013, 1:31 PM

to cite some examples if you have any.

LOLWUT? Yeah, we should've just had Stephone Anthony "spy" on Shaw all night. That would've fixed him! It's not like Anthony had a half dozen other reads on any given play, or anything like that. Just stay on Shaw and don't worry about any other players on the field, yeah, that's the ticket!

Sorry, bud, nobody puts a "spy" on any one player. Can't afford to.

Replies: 27
| visibility 4,571
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic