Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
what does He want from us?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

what does He want from us?

Sep 28, 2015, 4:17 PM

from "The Sacred Romance"

The gospel says that we, who are God's beloved, created a cosmic crisis. It says we, too, were stolen from our True Love and that he launched the greatest campaign in the history of the world to get us back.

God created us for intimacy with him.

When we turned our back on him he promised to come for us. He sent personal messengers; he used beauty and affliction to recapture our hearts.
After all else failed, he conceived the most daring of plans. Under the cover of night he stole into the enemy's camp incognito, the Ancient of Days disguised as a newborn.

The Incarnation, as Philip Yancey reminds us, was a daring raid into enemy territory. The whole world lay under the power of the evil one and we were held in the dungeons of darkness. God risked it all to rescue us.
Why? What
is it that he sees in us that causes him to act the jealous lover, to lay siege both on the kingdom of darkness and on our own idolatries as if on Troy—not to annihilate, but to win us once again for himself?
This fierce intention, this reckless ambition that shoves all conventions aside, willing literally to move heaven and earth.

We've been offered many explanations. From one religious camp we're told that what God wants is obedience, or sacrifice, or adherence to the right doctrines, or morality. Those are the answers offered by conservative churches.

The more therapeutic churches suggest that no, God is after our contentment, or happiness, or self-actualization, or something else along those lines.

He is concerned about all these things, of course, but they are not his primary concern.

What he is after is us—our laughter, our tears, our dreams, our fears, our heart of hearts.

Remember his lament in Isaiah, that though his people were performing all their duties, "their hearts are far from me" (29:13 italics added). How few of us truly believe this. We've never been wanted for our heart, our truest self, not really, not for long. The thought that God wants our heart seems too good to be true.

-----
In short, God wants us to commune with Him. We were created in His image. and part of that is oriented toward Community. God wants to be a part of that with us. Daily. Forever.

why do you think Social Media has exploded as it has? heck, recently I realized that Fantasy Football leagues are a type of social media and community.

I think the fact that Tigernet exists supports that fact that there is an innate part of us that wants to belong to something bigger. Something where others are. and where others want us to be.

may you find Community with the Creator of the Universe. Amen.
~Random Chance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can God give me some starting lineup advice?

Sep 28, 2015, 4:24 PM

Kinda struggling in a couple of leagues here...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

stevie johnson didn't have a great week, but I still

Sep 28, 2015, 4:43 PM

Consider him to be somewhat of a sleeper. Can be had cheap in one week leagues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i can't even

Sep 28, 2015, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Can God give me some starting lineup advice? ]

I need 111 points out of Travis Kelce and Jeremy Maclin tonight, standard scoring.

my original projection was a respectable 113 (our league ranges from 80's to 120's).

not only did I start Foles over Dalton (I had Romo) , I started an 'active' Chris Ivory, and crowell.

the only consolation is that even if you counted starters AND bench, i'd still lose, sooo

He told me to tell you

Sep 28, 2015, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Can God give me some starting lineup advice? ]

you should have gotten Devonta Freeman last week.

and Keenan Allen is a good pickup.

but if you don't have Tom Brady or Gronk, you are screwed.

you are welcome.

"God wants us to commune with Him."

Sep 28, 2015, 4:28 PM

Email is best for me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

money, it's always about money***

Sep 28, 2015, 4:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never seen a church not ask for it***

Sep 28, 2015, 4:48 PM

wonder what most of them do with it all***

Sep 28, 2015, 4:54 PM

Re: wonder what most of them do with it all***

Sep 28, 2015, 5:04 PM

Mostly personnel, building and administration expenses. I'm not saying they don't do good things with the remaining but it's less than a fifth of the budget for the average church.

and the normal church functions don't benefit anyone?...

Sep 28, 2015, 5:09 PM

certainly not my experience in my church or my Dad's church (he's a Methodist minister).

Most churches tend to have a separate and/or specific missions budget, but there are typically a LOT of service components to the main budget as well, not to mention so much of a church's expenses are multipurpose.

Re: and the normal church functions don't benefit anyone?...

Sep 28, 2015, 6:34 PM

I'm not saying doesn't benefit anyone, simply that most of the funds go to administration. My grandfather was a preacher as well and I've seen a lot of good done in the church. I'm not anti-church, in fact I do enjoy going with family sometimes, I just don't believe there is anything supernatural about it.

Think I know what New Spring does with it all.

Sep 28, 2015, 5:34 PM [ in reply to wonder what most of them do with it all*** ]

Oops... Simmer down, cultists, I only kid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

I assume you're mot directing that at me....

Sep 28, 2015, 8:25 PM

I'm no fan of New Spring.

Re: I assume you're mot directing that at me....

Sep 28, 2015, 8:34 PM

Not your particular flavor of Christianity huh?

I don't see what all the negative fuss is about, I've been, it's not much different from other churches, it's just scaled up.

Nope...to much about the preacher/leader for my taste....

Sep 29, 2015, 10:10 AM

also they don't have the kind of missions focus that I believe is appropriate. They are focused on growing (which is fine) seemingly at the expense of being a point of good/change in the community.

"too much"***

Sep 29, 2015, 10:10 AM

Re: Nope...to much about the preacher/leader for my taste....

Sep 29, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Nope...to much about the preacher/leader for my taste.... ]

> They are focused on growing (which is fine) seemingly at the expense of being a point of good/change in the community.

By growing, are they not reaching more people for Christ (which as I understand would be the whole point)? They clearly state their mission is to reach 100,000 people to meet Christ. Seems like they are well on their way.

I don't know, it's a bit confusing. Everybody seems to want more Christianity but when a church gets big it suddenly isn't' cool anymore.

It isn't cool because of the cult like attitude

Sep 29, 2015, 1:03 PM

of its congregation and the idolization of Perry Noble. It certainly is not like other churches, and I'm not really sure what they do for the community outside of putting little n stickers on their cars.

Re: It isn't cool because of the cult like attitude

Sep 29, 2015, 1:25 PM

> It isn't cool because of the cult like attitude of its congregation and the idolization of Perry Noble

It's kind of funny defending this sort of thing coming from me but i've been to newspring quite a few times and this isn't how it is at all. Again, I don't buy any of the supernatural stuff but they seem to do good work in the community and they believe in their mission of getting people to Christ.

> It certainly is not like other churches, and I'm not really sure what they do for the community outside of putting little n stickers on their cars.

Well they do release their financials which you can find here: https://newspring.cc/annualreport.

I think you are right, it's not like other churches but I fail to see how that's a bad thing. Small churches can be cliquee (sp?) and tend to be very conservative (not politically) regarding tradition. That's totally fine but they also tend to gossip.

I mean, as Christians, if NewSpring is your enemy, I don't know what to tell you. But that's why I think the whole organized religion thing is bullocks anyway.

I enjoy the community/family aspects of religion but there is too much baggage to go along with it.

You show me a church that doesn't gossip, and I'll show you

Sep 29, 2015, 4:52 PM

I'm not sure what I'd show you. Something that doesn't exist, I guess. A unicorn?

I grew up understanding that's what churches were for--gossiping.

Re: You show me a church that doesn't gossip, and I'll show you

Sep 29, 2015, 5:22 PM

I don't disagree at all.

Nah. Just random musings.***

Sep 28, 2015, 9:12 PM [ in reply to I assume you're mot directing that at me.... ]

Re: money, it's always about money***

Sep 28, 2015, 4:52 PM [ in reply to money, it's always about money*** ]

I really think most churches, at least the ones I've been to, have good intentions but I think you are right. It's all about the money.

Re: what does He want from us?

Sep 28, 2015, 5:08 PM

randomChance, so what am I missing here? If what you are saying is true and he really does want to communicate, why doesn't he just do that? Seems like he interacted quite often in the Bible but we see nothing of the sort today (or at least I haven't). With the advent of cameras the instances of miracles seems to have greatly diminished.... interesting.

But honestly, would love to believe it all (and I used to) but there is simply no sound reason to. He either doesn't want to or simply isn't communicating in any sort of clear way. So i'm left to conclude that he probably isn't there at all.

On top of all that, it's clear we are here by natural processes anyway so there is no real need to fall back on the supernatural anymore. It made perfect sense to believe this sort of thing before we understood the world as we do now.

Its a whole lot easier to keep the masses in line

Sep 28, 2015, 5:26 PM

If you have a good boogeyman story to tell them.

Re: Its a whole lot easier to keep the masses in line

Sep 28, 2015, 6:37 PM

While I do think religion is used as you say I really do think most leaders in the church have good intentions and really believe what they say. I don't have any numbers but I would guess that most of it isn't fraudulent in the sense that they are purposely misleading the masses.

Who knows.

Sep 28, 2015, 7:00 PM

I gave up on guessing why people say or do what they do a long time ago.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic