Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About the play calling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 3,058

About the play calling

Sep 18, 2015, 1:14 PM

Not sure what some expect. Inexperienced OL in their first road action of the year on a short week against a talented front seven and a DC known for trying to confuse the offense. Hmmmm, yep, should have slung it 60 times with minimum protection.

People been crying on here for years when we are running successfully stick with it. We do and now we're predictable. Some of y'all need to remember to take your meds.

We left points on the board yet won. Ran for 200+ and won. QB sacked once and won. And if that continues to work, aside from the drops and turnovers, I hope we do it all year. But we won't. We'll execute better and mature and the playbook will open up. Then you can go back to crying we didn't run it enough

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all the pressure they threw at DW4

Sep 18, 2015, 1:23 PM

that's pretty impressive that he was only sacked once

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

OL wasn't great but held their own

Sep 18, 2015, 1:27 PM

against a talented front 7. Only reason they surrendered 65 points the previous two games was their offense turning it over and special teams TD's.

If we can stay healthy up front come November this will be the best group we've had in ages

I think DW4 hasn't completed his the mental part...

Sep 18, 2015, 1:31 PM

of recuperating from his surgery. That's why the vanilla play calling. Personally, three things happen when you throw the ball, two of them ain't good. I'll take a good solid running game all day every day.

All in all our playcalling wasn't that lopsided last night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

idk... we ran him quite a bit, and he didn't look timid

Sep 18, 2015, 1:33 PM

he lowered the shoulder a couple of times... then got smart and slid

he seemed to run pretty well

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

He showed last night he's healthy

Sep 18, 2015, 1:37 PM

we know he can throw. So going in if we said he'd have an off night throwing, who would have taken a three point win where we run for 200+ yards? That kind of balance is only going to help us going forward.

Re: About the play calling

Sep 18, 2015, 1:54 PM

All in all I didn't mind the play calling. The drive that ended with the Legget touchdown was inspired play calling. Elliot and Smith invited the pressure into the backfield and burned them with screens and quick passes. I would have liked to see a little bit more of that. I think we could have used their aggression against them and really put them on their heels.
I only have one big complaint: the last time we were in their red zone we played for a field goal, and it nearly cost us the game. They didn't even take a shot at the end zone. We could have put the game out of reach right there. You have to play to win. You can't play to not lose.
The offensive execution was poor, especially in the passing game. I was disappointed in our receivers. Scott showed up to play and Legget had some nice grabs. I was happy for Renfrow getting a big touchdown. Peake might have lost his job to Cain. The OCs can't go out and play the game. You can't blame dropped passes, sloppy routes, and poor decision-making on them. They had the plays dialed up. Our guys didn't execute them.
Defense looked great. I'm not sure if Ryan Carter is an answer at CB. He looked lost all night long and got burned several times. Might not hurt to go ahead and see what Fields can do.
There's no excuse for the special teams coverage on kickoffs. That has to improve before the next outing or it will cost us a game at some point this season. We've got some issues to take care of. We don't play again for almost two weeks. The coaches have some work to do.

Didn't Gallman drop a sure first down pass

Sep 18, 2015, 1:59 PM

On third and short on that drive? The play calling was there even on that drive. Those are the errors we'll iron out, like Deshaun short hopping Leggett in third down late in the game on a play that could have gained 30-40 yards.

mmhm, i thought the pass was behind him, but the play was

Sep 18, 2015, 2:04 PM

there. great call, not so great execution.

didn't dw throw behind ghop on another play[1H] that had first down yardage & would have extended a drive?

not picking on dw, but those are plays that are big misses in big games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he threw behind Hopper in the first, and he one-hopped one

Sep 18, 2015, 2:10 PM

to Jordan... Wayne just dropped it, the throw was right where it should have been...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

idk, the announcers thought it was behind him as well.

Sep 18, 2015, 3:25 PM

looking at the review he has to turn his shoulders back to the qb and the ball looks to be behind his back shoulder. he probably should have caught it, but it wasn't right where it should have been.

in any event, all of those are plays are ones that were good calls with poor results from execution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the announcers failed to acknowledge a blatant block in the

Sep 18, 2015, 6:43 PM

back on TJ or the PI on Hopper , citing them doesn't help your argument...They were wrong all night guy

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, they weren't wrong all night and they weren't wrong

Sep 18, 2015, 7:29 PM

on dw's throw, the replay says you are. he had to square his shoulders back to the los while running a route at a steep angle away. that motion alone tells you the ball was behind, but maybe the ball being behind him will help you more?

photo 54efbf73-b7cb-4ef4-8158-bba313eafcd4_zpsfemuujwn.jpg

that's the ball behind and under his left arm/shoulder pad, the left being behind the direction he's headed.

Re: no, they weren't wrong all night and they weren't wrong

Sep 18, 2015, 7:48 PM

The ball was thrown behind him. You could see that when you watched it live. I'm not sure how anyone can argue this, all u have to do is watch it.

Re: Didn't Gallman drop a sure first down pass

Sep 18, 2015, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Didn't Gallman drop a sure first down pass ]

I remember we had first down inside the 30 and ran 3 very conservative runs, including a quarterback draw on 3rd down. That is what bugged me. I understand what they were trying to do by chewing clock and taking the easy points, but a TD there would have put the game away. We played for a field goal and on the next play they take the kickoff 100+ yards and put themselves right back in it.

Re: Didn't Gallman drop a sure first down pass

Sep 18, 2015, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Didn't Gallman drop a sure first down pass ]

yes he did... BUT the pass was not good.. low

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: About the play calling ]

It's like you see the game through my eyes. Spot on sir. Go Tigers!

Sep 18, 2015, 2:06 PM

You can't sling it every down and score 40 points every game. Louisville played to not give up the big play. We had to grind it out and we did.

Last night reminded me of games in the 70s and 80s. Win with defense and pounding the rock. We controlled that game. Our D kept field position in our favor. Our offense moved it enough to ensure this. That's a game within the game. These goobers on here complaining about not enough "style points" in the win last night would've really been traumatized by a season's worth of games like last nights.

Liking what I see. Excited to see this young team grow up before our eyes. Like Dabo said, this is not a great team right now. I hope to see our guys grow into a great team though. At 20-10 we were close to putting that game away. I'll bet next time we do.

My only real complaint is that many many times Peake

Sep 18, 2015, 2:23 PM

was lined up wide with a db about 3 yards on him and safety was too far over to get out there. We never challenged that.

Louis challenged us a bunch and dropped two, caught one, got a couple knocked down and one picked (Nice job Tank). But I really think Peake could have busted a big play on them had we tried it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 2:31 PM

Even though we won the game when we probably should have won this game by 2-3 more scores, we only showed about 12-15 of our base plays at most. Obviously, we are saving the rest for Notre Dame, Ga. Tech, and FSU. I am sure that we will have a couple of novelty plays for each one as well!

Sep 18, 2015, 2:47 PM

12-15 base plays? Do you know how many base plays Auburn has? Ohio state?

We've lived with this idea of we are really going to open up the playbook since Napier and especially Morris.

Morris is so good because of the window dressing and his ability to throw the defense a curveball.

When we really needed a score I saw WR screen, read option run(or designed run) as well as speed option, and QB draw. Mix in some pass plays(quick out, seam verticals) and you're still not to 12 base plays, certainly not 15.

With a game like last night you open up what you have to ensure a divisional road win. I saw mostly the same stuff vs app st. If nothing else is shown by say ND game then we got the plays we got the rest of the way minus the bowl game.

Someone tell me I'm wrong please.

I was happy with the play calling. Without some bad throws

Sep 18, 2015, 2:37 PM

and worse calls, I think we win by 10-14.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Solid calls in a tough environment with

Sep 18, 2015, 2:40 PM

a very young team

Right on target but of course the armchair OC knows best.***

Sep 18, 2015, 4:27 PM [ in reply to I was happy with the play calling. Without some bad throws ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 2:54 PM

the only play call I took issue with were when Watson ran the draw on about 3rd and 4, and the entire stadium knew what was coming. Other than that, Players just need to execute, especially up front. I saw some nice wrinkles last night, and I liked the way they set up the option later in the game. Louisville was guessing most of the night.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2015, 3:40 PM

Great thread. Great comments from the OP and those who replied. Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

I think DW's struggles last night were predictable

Sep 18, 2015, 4:36 PM

for all the reasons you stated.

Let us also not forget about the Louisville game last year before Watson got injured. It started basically the same way as the game last night. In his limited time in last years game Watson struggled in the passing game because the Lville defense were playing odd coverage's causing confusion. He even threw an early pick last year very similar to last night. It was obvious they had a plan that they thought worked last year and copied that same plan again. The only difference was Watson stayed in the game and was able to make enough plays, along with a great running performance by Gallman, to bring home the W. Hopefully last night's game will now provide to film and learning opportunity for Watson to use to continue to grow as the dominant QB that he is and the next time he see's a defense tying the same thing will know exactly how to dissect it the way we have seen him do basically every other team he was played against.

Very Pedestrian

Sep 18, 2015, 4:44 PM

Very impressed with our effort and Defense was awesome, but the Offense looked like we were scared to go after them. A wounded UL team that would have layed down with a couple ofbhaymakers and we basically played scared, and played not to lose with those play calls.

Very pedestrian effort that will not impress anyone that they can look back on as evidence when they exclude us from the playoff.

I just thought we gave Louisville way too much respect. They got run by Houston. This is not an elite team. Why are we playing scared all night?

They are maybe above average on thier best night. No where near elite. Why play scared, don't impress anyone, and let them stay in the game? Play calling was atrocious.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This guy explains it-if u don't understand get someone to

Sep 18, 2015, 4:47 PM

explain it to you.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1483302&tstart=0

Disagree. How did Ohio State vs VT last year...

Sep 18, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Very Pedestrian ]

...work out for them? They lost early at home to a very mediocre team. We won, on the road, against a desperate mediocre team. Overcame a lot of adversity in doing so. The sky is not falling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Replies: 29
| visibility 3,058
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic