Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson featured in Ch. 1 of Tommy Bowden's new book
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson featured in Ch. 1 of Tommy Bowden's new book

Oct 5, 2012, 9:57 AM

Clemson featured in Ch. 1 of Tommy Bowden's new book

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson featured in Ch. 1 of Tommy Bowden's new book

Oct 5, 2012, 10:01 AM

Is the title of the book "Just One Play Away"?

I believe is entitled,"The Best Way to Pick Grass and Look

Oct 5, 2012, 10:03 AM

Disinterested in Your Job as Another Loss Occurs: The Tommy Bowden Memoirs"

Ignorance.***

Oct 5, 2012, 11:24 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

"A History of Almost Finishing"...***

Oct 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, my wife should write that book.***

Oct 5, 2012, 3:07 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About you?***

Oct 5, 2012, 4:27 PM

This is the story of Tommy's career at Clemson

Oct 5, 2012, 10:11 AM

we couldn't win the close ones when it counted. Top teams with top coaches will have the fortitude to get that extra 10 yards, to make that extra FG. Defense kept us in the game, but Tommy and Rob Spence didn't get the job done. The more I hear from him, the more I appreciate what we have now...

The more I hear from the PLAYERS, the more I appreciate...***

Oct 5, 2012, 10:14 AM

Was 2006 the year we ran that stupid reverse on the goalline

Oct 5, 2012, 10:13 AM

A freshman named CJ Spiller lost about 10 yards on that and ended up kicking a FG. That stupid decision is what cost us the game. We have a mack truck in James Davis that could guarantee 3 yards up the middle...and Bowden decided to play with his Farrari.

That might have also been the year we got screwed on the possession call on an INT (of course we used that same call to our advantage against FSU)

when did our o-line ever garuntee anything***

Oct 5, 2012, 4:28 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sports show he is on is arguably the worst sports show

Oct 5, 2012, 10:21 AM

in history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is not real good on tv

Oct 5, 2012, 10:24 AM

I thought over time he would get more comfortable but that doesnt really appear to be the case

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wasn't a really good coach either.***

Oct 5, 2012, 2:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

yeah, hate to say it but it 's hard show to watch

Oct 5, 2012, 10:42 AM [ in reply to That sports show he is on is arguably the worst sports show ]

TB looks like he's on crack or something, talking fast and scribbling all over the chalkboard

and his tupid little grin is so fake....he is just not a

Oct 5, 2012, 11:55 AM [ in reply to That sports show he is on is arguably the worst sports show ]

smiler

I really don't understand the hate for Bowden.

Oct 5, 2012, 10:25 AM

He did A LOT for Clemson.

You're right but 10 years without an ACC title,

Oct 5, 2012, 10:29 AM

it just comes with the territory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He owned USuC though. IMO Bowden's downfall was his

Oct 5, 2012, 11:23 AM

loyalty to Rob Spence. If he had fired him after things went bad in the Alabama game and gotten a Chad Morris type OC, he'd still be coaching at Clemson today.

TB was a good coach. I'll stand by that.

Dude, not hard to "own" USC when they were TERRIBLE.

Oct 5, 2012, 10:54 PM

They are legit now. Heck, they went 2 whole YEARS without winning A GAME which was I believe during the TB era (I could be wrong about that but I know it was in the not-too-recent past).

This is the best USuC has EVER been. I promise you,

Oct 5, 2012, 10:59 PM

I want to beat those inbred cowards just as bad as anybody. But the truth is, they are MUCH better now than they were when TB was our coach.

Re: I really don't understand the hate for Bowden.

Oct 5, 2012, 10:41 AM [ in reply to I really don't understand the hate for Bowden. ]

I think it is more frustration than hate. I liked the guy. He just couldnt get us over the hump. Also I think the finesse aspect of his football and resulting expiration of tough minded D was not well received by me or others.

You notice the longer he was there the less impactful LB play we got. In fact this is still a problem but hopefully we are on the verge of correcting it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that had alot to do with VicKoennig's scheme too

Oct 6, 2012, 10:58 AM

not just Bowden. Bowden was the first coach since Danny Ford to have any success at recruiting. His emergence as a great recruiter and his emphasis on creating a family atmosphere changed Clemson and it it what it is today only because TB showed up as coach. Had we went out and just hired another Tommy West then we would be the same old 6-5 team.

and he didn't relate to the Clemson family and didn't even

Oct 5, 2012, 11:57 AM [ in reply to I really don't understand the hate for Bowden. ]

want to.....he was to egotistical for me.

Re: I really don't understand the hate for Bowden.

Oct 5, 2012, 12:58 PM [ in reply to I really don't understand the hate for Bowden. ]

Granted he DID do a lot for Clemson. He was also egotistical, and unable to admit to his shortcomings. Always losing by only 1 point is still always losing. Would never admit to the losing part, just the 1 point part.

Oct 5, 2012, 10:35 AM

Wow, reading that brought back some painful memories. While, I agree TB did some great things for Clemson overall we continued to flounder in mediocrity under his watch but his hire ultimately got us the head coach (and success) we currently have. Queue lip quiver.

I'd like to see him own how unprepared those 1-point loss

Oct 5, 2012, 10:46 AM

teams played in those games. They were all winnable--not one play away wins, but solid winnable games. That's why got booted--he just never took that seriously. If you lose, you lose, but when you keep losing the same way, you're the common thread.

You're absolutely right. He was "one play away" in games

Oct 5, 2012, 1:04 PM

that we should have won by 10 points.

You'd think Clemson has Alabama's notoriety

Oct 5, 2012, 11:21 AM

based on how the fans talk about Tommy Bowden.

You can tell we're spoiled when we complain about a consistent winner who was the bridge between 3-win seasons and an ACC title.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Averaged 8 wins a season, 7-2 against USuC.***

Oct 5, 2012, 11:26 AM

I want more than an 8 win season and a second tier bowl!!***

Oct 5, 2012, 12:02 PM

I want to beat USuC on a consistent basis as well.***

Oct 5, 2012, 1:45 PM

To be fair...

Oct 6, 2012, 6:24 AM

USuC used to be terrible. You're really comparing apples and oranges here. If this team played those SC teams we would crush them on a consistent basis. I hate to admit it but USuC is playing good football these days. With that said, we're tear 'em up this year!!!

Oct 5, 2012, 12:36 PM

Was the forward written by Merriweather?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Originially, but TB opted to take it out.

Oct 5, 2012, 2:34 PM

Sorry, just too easy. ;)

I remember Frank Howard joking that he retired,....

Oct 5, 2012, 12:51 PM

...due to health reasons; "The alumni was SICK of him".

That was a JOKE with Frank Howard,... but Tommy, guess what,...

Clemson better not be just one chapter of that

Oct 5, 2012, 1:31 PM

egotist's book. My goodness, Clemson is the only reason that guy got a book deal to begin with. That and he's Bobby's son... but everyone knows Jeff is the favorite.

You're crazy, TB is the reason we are who we are today

Oct 6, 2012, 11:00 AM

TB finally brought recruiting back to Clemson where it had not had any success for the 20 yres

"One Play Away: The Tommy Bowden Story"

Oct 5, 2012, 3:01 PM

What a real page turner this one's gonna be.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2012, 3:35 PM

Ha. Best of luck with your book and fox show Tommy. Hey these haters gonna hate.

Oct 5, 2012, 4:14 PM

I very much appreciate what Tommy did for Clemson and I try to remember the positive things he did for Clemson. Some unforgettable victories like the 63-17 over the coots; we owned the coots while he was here! The big win in the chick-fila bowl over a highly ranked TN and I will never forget radio leading the tigers down the hill with a big win over his dad later that night. There were some more great wins. There were quite a few other accomplishments already mentioned by others; facilities, a good clean recruiting program, a high graduation rate. I could go on but I do agree that he just wasn't that good of a coach. I'm just going to choose to remember the good things he did for us. I grew up in Clemson when Frank Howard was still coaching but could not remember his glory years in the 50s. I remember how hard it was to finally get a powerhouse back at Clemson under Danny and I knew the day he left that it would probably take about twenty or more years to recover, and it did. We're not quite there yet, but closer than we were. Tommy did do really great things for Clemson. Thanks Tommy

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Soldier

Oct 6, 2012, 11:17 AM

When Tommy first came to Clemson, he said two things that I still remember: 1) He thought Clemson was one of the top five or ten coaching jobs in the nation, and he wanted to retire here (looks like he did!), and 2) he hated that his 13 or 14-year-old daughter already looked like a fashion model in a photo shoot (I think she may have actually done a photo shoot later on).

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic