Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson Pro Day: 40 times
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson Pro Day: 40 times

Mar 7, 2013, 10:08 AM

Clemson Pro Day: 40 times

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jaron Brown burned it up.

Mar 7, 2013, 10:11 AM

All great times!

Re: Jaron Brown burned it up.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:15 AM

Those are all extraordinary times. It makes me wonder, especially since they're all hand timed and unofficial. Nuke had 2 times below 4.5, but his official time at the combine was 4.6. Was there a strong wind aid, or are the hand timers just that inaccurate? Typically, hand timers seem to be quicker. I'd love to know what the scouts got, but they're not going to share that kind of data.

Add .24 to hand times (human error) to equal auto times.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:29 AM

Consider yourself educated now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because humans all have the exact same reaction time***

Mar 7, 2013, 12:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you have a better answer?

Mar 7, 2013, 12:57 PM

just curious.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The irony of it is "re-action" time which connotes being

Mar 7, 2013, 1:02 PM [ in reply to because humans all have the exact same reaction time*** ]

late, not early. It must be "action" time. Either way, why not have an 'official' clock for Pro Day? They can't be that expensive or technically prohibitive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure the athletes would rather see these Hand times

Mar 7, 2013, 1:13 PM

next to their name, than the automatic (slower) times next to their name. Especially knowing that all other schools that have pro days are still using hand times as well.

But, I agree that full auto across the board would be nice, and, consistent.

The price is a drop in the bucket, but might not justifiable if it's being used but a few times a year. With the required set and bodies needed to run the system, I can see why football programs have not invested in this yet. I bet it won't be long though...

Thanks for the responses and I'm not questioning your

Mar 7, 2013, 1:22 PM

knowledge regarding it. I am questioning the reasoning. Cabelas has a speed gun for bullets that's in the hundreds of dollars. I can't see an auto timer being that expensive. I also find that it would be difficult to hand-time something at both the start and finish lines accurately. As to 'home cooking', I imagine it will prevail.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jaron Brown burned it up.

Mar 7, 2013, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Jaron Brown burned it up. ]

add .18-.26 for hand times. Jaron still ran a sub 4.5 which is what he needed to do.

Re: Football Update: Clemson Pro Day: 40 times

Mar 7, 2013, 10:11 AM

That's more like Nuk! And Jaron? That's flying!

wow didnt realize jaron was that fast***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:12 AM

He just made himself a lot more $$$, I bet.***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2013, 10:13 AM

No way Jaron ran a 4.29....

Mar 7, 2013, 10:16 AM

Pro days in general are a joke. You cannot believe any times recorded by hand.

Mar 7, 2013, 12:05 PM

daltons looks a bit fast too. Im saying hes a 5.2 to 5.45 guy at best.

shoot..

Mar 7, 2013, 10:15 AM

J.brown is quick man I remember tho our fastest recorded tiger...jacoby ford 4.28 at the combine

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this in the indoor practice facility? If so, it's paying

Mar 7, 2013, 10:17 AM

OUT!

So these are outside times that are downhill and wind aided?***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:18 AM

no, they are in the indoor facility.***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:22 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no, they are in the indoor facility.***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:24 AM

He was joking......as in he doesn't believe the Brown time (which any CU fan with any common sense knows is not accurate)

Re: no, they are in the indoor facility.***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:27 AM [ in reply to no, they are in the indoor facility.*** ]

Our indoor facility is paying for it's self in the way it is being used. It's turning out to being a very big plus for Clemson sports. Dabo has great Vision for Clemson in moving forward!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't Chris Johnson's fastest ever combine run a 4.28

Mar 7, 2013, 10:28 AM

Brown is blazing it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. Bo Jackson ****

Mar 7, 2013, 10:44 AM

^^ Hand timed, though.***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:03 AM

Re: ^^ Hand timed, though.***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:17 AM

I agree. If they had him at 4.4, I'd find it a lot more credible. Maybe 4.29 translates more to 4.4 in reality. Sure would like to know.

I was talking about bo jacksons.***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:25 AM

4.24 I believe***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Isn't Chris Johnson's fastest ever combine run a 4.28 ]

Chris Johnson ran 4.21 - Automatic

Mar 7, 2013, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Isn't Chris Johnson's fastest ever combine run a 4.28 ]

Bo Jackson ran 4.12 Hand time. Which is equivalent to 4.36 automatic.

Yeah, I'm guessing something ain't right with Brown's #

Mar 7, 2013, 10:30 AM

That's world class sprinter speed. Guessing it's a typo.

Would love to be wrong though

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like a typo for Ja-Bro. Probably a 4.49***

Mar 7, 2013, 10:39 AM

Why is everyone mentioning Brown's time?

Mar 7, 2013, 10:43 AM

What about Goodman's 4.52? Yeah, right.

Grade of slaw

Mar 7, 2013, 10:50 AM

The NFL combine is held indoors (like the Clemson pro-day)and there is a pretty nice size gap in the times between what the Combine had for Goodman's(4.87) and Nuk's (4.57)and what I'm seeing from pro-day.

So take the times with a grade of slaw as most scouts do for team pro-days.

Good news is that if Clowney can have a 4.51 being timed by his own peeps as reported yesterday, no reason why Goodman shouldn't go 4.52.

Not sure if serious

Mar 7, 2013, 11:24 AM

Re: Not sure if serious

Mar 7, 2013, 11:29 AM

I'm serious that I'm sure Goodman ran a 4.52 according to someone's timer.

I'm also pretty sure that that time is not accurate.

If that time is accurate

Mar 7, 2013, 11:33 AM

I think Goodman could be a jugger knot

I don't know. Still doesn't make cents.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:35 AM

I think the fact that they are hand timed is the biggest key, hints the .10 difference in Nuk and Goodman's times.

I just hope he doesn't turn into a Pre-Madonna.***

Mar 7, 2013, 12:56 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You have to add .24 to a hand time to equal a automatic time

Mar 7, 2013, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Grade of slaw ]

The difference (human error) b/n automatic timing & hand times is worth .24. Add this to any hand times and that will give you what an automatic time would be.

There is no such "exact' correlation. Premise is absurd.***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:42 AM

As a former coach at the NCAA level, I can promise you

Mar 7, 2013, 11:58 AM

.24 is what is accepted by all levels of competition (high school, NCAA, IAAF).

Is it "exact"? No. Is it what accepted? Yes, and without question.

Furthermore, to it's why they have 3 timers, and not just one. By taking the average time of 3 different people, and adding .24 you will find that it would match what the automatic time would have been 9 times out of 10.

Maybe you could explain further. Are they early starting or

Mar 7, 2013, 12:05 PM

early finishing? If so, couldn't they just as easily be late starting or finishing? If you're going to attribute something to "human error", how do quantify that with some exact constant such as .24?

You must be an engineer...

Mar 7, 2013, 12:56 PM

.24 is the difference (that's been accepted, for more than 40 years now) b/n moment an automatic timing system registers movement at the the start and when a human actually records movement & starts the watch.

Studies have consistently shown, dating back to the 1972 Olympics, that the difference b/n hand timing and automatic timing is .24 seconds. It's been widely accepted for all races under 200 meters since then. Studies continue to back up this "standard".

I know it's not exact, like you would want, but it's widely accepted. If you wanted a rule of thumb, this is as good as it gets.

Wouldn't that reaction time apply at the finish? I'm not

Mar 7, 2013, 1:07 PM

saying these times are perfectly accurate but to put some "accepted" number on all hand-timed events is just as absurd, even if it's "accepted".

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

You raise a good point...

Mar 7, 2013, 1:21 PM

Here's a study done on 40 times that may help shed some light.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2010/02000/Comparison_Between_Hand_and_Electronic_Timing_of.22.aspx

Within this study, they found that the difference was .28.

That's enlightening though I can't understand how it works

Mar 7, 2013, 1:32 PM

for the start and not the finish. I do understand how they might accept it as a constant but rather than averaging mean values, spend a little money.

I'm not sure I have an answer for you. For me personally,

Mar 7, 2013, 1:45 PM

It was much more difficult to capture the start, than the finish. I missed quite a few starts in my life, but I never once felt like I missed the finish.

For me, it felt like it was hard b/c it was such a reactive moment, especially viewing it from a distance, when you didn't quite know when it's gonna happen.

However, for the finish, I felt like it wasn't nearly as reactive as you could almost anticipate the finish.

That makes some sense but there must also be a variable

Mar 7, 2013, 1:53 PM

to "anticipate". The study you cited certainly lends credence to the .24 constant but there seems to me to be too many variables to rely on consistently. Electronics is obviously the way to go. That said, I see 40 times as just a consideration and not a true measure of on-field 'quickness'.

True,

Mar 7, 2013, 1:56 PM

or else Dwayne Allen wouldn't be playing in the NFL.

A good recent example from Clemson and the NFL is full of

Mar 7, 2013, 1:57 PM

them.

Re: That's enlightening though I can't understand how it works

Mar 7, 2013, 4:53 PM [ in reply to That's enlightening though I can't understand how it works ]

On the start, timers are reacting to the runner's movement. On the finish, they are anticipating it and are more likely to hit the stop slightly before the runner actually crosses than they are to let it run longer.

Who's uncle was timing these?***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:00 AM

Mar 7, 2013, 11:07 AM

If Jaron's time is legit, his ability to catch the ball at its peak in combination with that speed will increase his draft stock. Any team should be happy to get him. Good luck with everything!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, I'm guessing something ain't right with Brown's #

Mar 7, 2013, 11:10 AM

A little home cooking with the watch?!! :)

Mar 7, 2013, 11:12 AM

Those times must be hand time and not by the computer.

Sounds like someone shortened the 40 yards to 36.***

Mar 7, 2013, 12:22 PM

Wow, did they give these a running start or something?

Mar 7, 2013, 1:24 PM

I don't see anyway that NFL scouts will buy those times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic