Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My brother went to Duke. I went to Clemson.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

My brother went to Duke. I went to Clemson.

Jan 20, 2018, 11:03 PM

We were in state for NC.

Caught up with him tonight and we had a few laughs over the Zion situation.

My brother always admits that in a perfect world, he would have gone to Clemson. He wanted that Duke degree on the wall though so he sacrificed a little bit of his college experience.

He always gives me and my father a hard time that we had a fun and exciting college experience while he slaved away in Durham anxiously awaiting the next gang related shooting.

Let's just say...there are certain demographics differences between the two schools in terms of student population.

My brother joined KA, a traditional southern fraternity, in order to assimilate more into the student body and feel a little more home during his time.

Best of luck to the kid. But as a man who has seen a little bit of both sides, don't think attending Duke won't come out a huge cost socially.

You only attend college once. Remember that kids.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come at a huge cost socially***

Jan 20, 2018, 11:04 PM

Nm

What gang related shootings?

Jan 20, 2018, 11:07 PM

Have you ever been around the town Durham?

Jan 20, 2018, 11:09 PM

Like actually around the town. It's gas stations, stores, clubs, etc.

You realize why they made Duke a wet campus for minors, right?

Just around campus and the hospital/downtown area

Jan 20, 2018, 11:17 PM

Re: My brother went to Duke. I went to Clemson.

Jan 20, 2018, 11:21 PM

Interesting read about your brother. Wonder how many frat brothers he had from New Jersey/New York.

He joined KA to assimilate at Duke?***

Jan 21, 2018, 1:03 AM

Ok I'll just say it

Jan 21, 2018, 1:26 AM

As a white southern American it wasn't quite the dynamic that one would enjoy at a school such as Clemson.

Same goes for a black southern American. Much higher population density of Asians and a much more "studious" culture.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just facts which contributed to him seeking the company of more like minded individuals. People that take care of their academics yes, but actually like to go out time to time to socialize, hunt, fish, etc.

My hypothesis is that there is no way in hell he is planning on staying past a year. Anybody who knows Durham intimately and had the option would do the same lol.

People go to Duke because the degree looks pretty on the wall. That's it. Its a complete ########.

People either go to Franklin Street or drink inside the dorms. Duke is a wet campus, meaning minors are able to drink legally as long as they remain on school grounds. They did this in part because it was well known at the time of my brother's freshman year (2009) a local gang would have initiations whereby they would attempt to kill a Duke student.

I wish I were kidding. #### that place. There's a reason my bro visited me in Clemson and not the other way around during our college years.

The poor boy spent so much time on campus they should have given him an honorary degree haha.

Re: Ok I'll just say it

Jan 21, 2018, 1:32 AM

You sould like the jealous, less intelligent brother that could not get in Duke. Its ok....let the healing begin

Haha I actually never applied. I took my older brothers advice

Jan 21, 2018, 2:01 AM

And decided between UNC and Clemson instead.

As I've gotten older and realized the absolute futility of the undergraduate degree, it only validated my decision.

Nobody ever gave a #### that he went to Duke. Or that I went to Clemson. It was only until we parlayed those Bachelor degrees into graduate school that school affiliation began to play a factor.

Beyond that, you're better off attending Beer and ##### Tech, graduating #1 in your class and having some of the greatest experiences life has to offer you. But hey, just my $0.02 and a man who has listened keenly to those who have come before him with greater intelligence and wisdom.

I had the luxury of being able to come visit him before applying to colleges, fortunately.

But clearly but the point and spirit of the post completely flew right past you.

Zion will be on a much better basketball team in a much less vibrant and engaging social atmosphere. More power to him and I have zero doubts he will have a phenomenal basketball legacy.

Don't think you need a hypothesis

Jan 21, 2018, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Ok I'll just say it ]

to know the kid will be at Duke for less than a year.

He will need to drag himself to some classes for the fall semester, and then it's all basketball for the rest of his life. Guess that's how that works.

This trend has ruined college basketball, in my view. I used to love it, and now rarely watch a non-Clemson game anymore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My brother went to Duke. I went to Clemson.

Jan 21, 2018, 4:59 AM

Actually, you can attend college more than once.I suspect ZW will be one and done, go to the NBA
and if later on he so desires he can return to college.
Now he can only play college hoops once, but if he is as good as advertised, he only needs to play one year.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic