Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Retire Horace Grants Number?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Retire Horace Grants Number?

May 20, 2020, 7:21 PM

I'm sure many of us just watched the ESPN special "The Last Dance" about the final year of the Chicago Bulls dynasty. I also watched the 30 for 30 episode about the Orlando Magic titled "This Magic Moment". A common character in both of these programs is Clemson Basketball alum Horace Grant. Seeing him featured and interviewed made me decide to look up his career accomplishments. I have detailed them below:

College:
ACC Player of the Year (1987)
First-team All-ACC (1987)
Consensus second-team All-American (1987)
First player in ACC history to lead the league in scoring, rebounding, and field goal shooting

Pro:
10th overall pick of the 1987 NBA draft
4× NBA champion (1991–1993, 2001)
NBA All-Star (1994)
4× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1993–1996)
Also was a mentor a leader for young Shaq and Penny Hardaway on the 1995 Orlando Magic, leading them to the NBA Finals

In addition to the accomplishments on the court, there's anther special one from off the court. Due to nearsidedness, Horace wore his signature goggle glasses. He eventually had LASIK surgery to repair his vision. However he kept wearing the goggles because he was made aware that he was an inspirational figure to kids who wore glasses.

Considering all of the points above, is it time that Clemson Basketball decides to retire Horace's number 54? I think it would be a major nod to one of the true glories of the program who has accomplished more in basketball than many could ever hope to. It would also create a great buzz among the fanbase and remind everyone that greatness and success comes out of Littlejohn as well. What do you all think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Retire Horace Grants Number?

May 20, 2020, 7:30 PM

Heck yes! Horace was a freshman my senior year. Everyone new he would be great. Yes his number should be retired.

May 20, 2020, 8:37 PM

He would have been a great TE on the football team today too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 20, 2020, 9:27 PM

Great first post, TJ-7! Absolutely, I would vote for that, if my vote counted for anything! However, there are a few others as well that Horace brings to mind - Tree Rollins (my era), Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, Sharone Wright, and a few others - but not including Skip Wise, probably the greatest talent to ever hit the floor in Littlejohn, but lost his soul to the NBA-$$$. No one ever seems to recall coach Cliff Ellis who recruited extremely well and took our program to where we simply hope to get it back to.

Go Tigers!!!

May 20, 2020, 9:38 PM

I would love to see if enough support could be garnered where a petition could be sent to the athletic department. Simply get the conversation going. We had a lot of great basketball players in that era and I think they deserve to be recognized

He would have to graduate first

May 20, 2020, 9:03 PM

Based on my time working in the Athletic Department with the BB program, he was not close when he left & I haven’t seen that he’s been back. I would love to see it though.

May 20, 2020, 9:04 PM

A little late now. Didn’t his kids play elsewhere? Have to wonder why that happened ???????

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2020, 9:33 PM

Probably because at the time Syracuse and Notre Dame were better options.

May 20, 2020, 9:40 PM

And they were also his nephews lol

May 20, 2020, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Retire Horace Grants Number? ]

As far as Harvey knows.

May 20, 2020, 9:04 PM

are you sure we can afford to put another jersey in the rafters, we may run out of numbers in a few hundred years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 20, 2020, 9:05 PM

Definitely

He is absolutely deserving based on his play.

May 20, 2020, 9:45 PM

He is the only player to be ACC Player of the Year, and one of few to be first team All-ACC.

We’ve only retired a few numbers: Banks McFadden, Tree Rollins, and Dale Davis. Horace belongs with those, for sure.

I wonder if he meets all of the requirements for jersey retirement? Did he complete enough coursework?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: He is absolutely deserving based on his play.

May 20, 2020, 9:54 PM

I’d imagine he did, was at Clemson for four seasons

May 21, 2020, 8:33 AM

Never ever retire a number. Use the significance of the number to recruit. If you must retire the jersey and hand in a place of honor assuming Horace has his degree. Anyone know if he graduated?

Makes no sense to retire an number then bring it back out (DW4, Feaster) which means it was never actually retired.

You retire a player's number based on what he did in........

May 21, 2020, 9:12 AM

college. What he did in the pros does not count.

If you're including that, then that is something the Chicago Bulls would need to consider in retiring his number with them.

Vindicitive as MJ appears to be against Horace, the Bulls

May 21, 2020, 8:10 PM

would never dare retire Grant's number, even if they wanted to. Can't risk upsetting the Goat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2020, 2:32 PM

I'm still perplexed at why Bill Foster could not see that Harvey was going to be an outstanding player!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic