Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable....

Dec 10, 2015, 3:13 PM

Someone please explain to me how these highlights are impressive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snLtzC-JUB8

I see nothing about this guy that is special. The only thing I see is AWFUL defense play. I can't find anything here suggesting Baker Mayfield is anywhere close to DW4's level between the poor tackling, the lack of pressure, and the hideous WR coverage.

If OU thinks Clemson will look like this on defense, they are sorely mistaken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable....

Dec 10, 2015, 3:18 PM

Looks to me like he moves well in the pocket against mediocre defenses. Other than that his supporting cast makes him what he is not his quarterbacking ability. Not impressed at all.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 3:19 PM

From what I have seen he looks very similar to Williams. He does make the O-Line better because he is able to create plays, but his O-Line is horrible. Expect to see a lot of Orange in the backfield. The deference is our defense will cover well downfield. He will be very frustrated early on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

He looks like a pretty accurate quarterback that can extend

Dec 10, 2015, 3:19 PM

plays with his legs. Doesn't seem to be a true dual-threat, but can give DLines and LBs nightmares if they overpursue in the backfield. Our guys will be challenged by this guy.

Notable Omission

Dec 10, 2015, 3:20 PM

Highlights against Texas which was one of the best D they have played

looks like Shepard has had a good year.***

Dec 10, 2015, 3:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: looks like Shepard has had a good year.***

Dec 11, 2015, 8:46 AM

He is pretty elusive. Runs certainly above average. Has the ability to extend plays but a lot of the throws, at least in the highlight reel were to men who were so open that I could have completed a pass to them. Our DL is certainly above average and so are our DB's. It will be an interesting matchup.

He is a playmaker. Tigers will need to play disciplined.***

Dec 10, 2015, 3:22 PM

Dec 10, 2015, 3:27 PM

Never underestimate your opponents!
Actually he looked pretty good to me. Has scrabbling ability and keeps his eyes up and downfield looking for recievers. Any QB that can extend plays is a threat. That does not mean I think they will beat Clemson but make no mistake they are in the 4 team playoff and they are a very good team!
Go Tigers!

Dec 10, 2015, 3:35 PM

This has nothing to do with his play and everything to do with the quality defenses I see with my eyes.

I am looking right at the same screen as everyone else and I see nothing. I was asking for an explanation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

You're right, a retarded monkey could do what he's doing***

Dec 10, 2015, 3:44 PM

LOL their OLine is a joke. We're going to eat his asss alive

Dec 10, 2015, 3:30 PM

All his passing yards are from scrambling away from defenders and dumping the ball off short to receivers who break off to stop the run. He wont be getting away from us quite so easily.

ROH

Reminds me a little of Connor Shaw

Dec 10, 2015, 3:35 PM

Seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep. I agree.***

Dec 10, 2015, 3:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 3:40 PM

1st highlight he did a good job at stretching the play
2nd highlight he made key check downs to the open WR and completed a pass for a TD
3rd highlight he made a nice read option pass for a TD
4th highlight he threw a laser for TD
5th highlight he setup for the screen but found the downfield open WR for a TD
6th highlight he made a nice run down field picking up meaningful yards setting up a score (most likely)
7th highlight he setup a face reverse and found an open WR downfield for a TD

I can continue if you'd like more explanations

Dec 10, 2015, 4:31 PM

Add to that only 5 ints in 354 attempts and only 2 in his last 8 games and 1 of them I would put on the receiver who ran the wrong route. Actually his biggest issue is probably holding onto the ball and trying to extend a play and taking the sack - I would say 1/2 of his 34 sacks are on him. Then again I would rather him take the sack than get picked and I would rather keep the ball to live another day.

Throws well on the run though, which might happen a lot***

Dec 10, 2015, 3:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should, he's always on the run.

Dec 10, 2015, 4:34 PM

OU's line doesn't form a pocket it forms a chute.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 3:42 PM

Those coverages had more busts than an Antonio Cromartie condom.
https://youtu.be/z6qafkcjLu0

Zing!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 4:50 PM

Sees the field and can extend a play with legs long enough for someone to get open. Not as dynamic as Watson though, but we cant sleep on him.

Dec 11, 2015, 12:13 AM

Someone felt the highlights were all against awful defenses. Mayfield made some outstanding plays against Tennessee at Neyland stadium. Tennessee has a decent defense, yet Mayfield was able to make enough plays to win. The offense steadily improved over the course of the season (the Tennessee game was the second game of the season).

Mayfield's stats suggest he is an elite QB (as is Watson).

Dec 11, 2015, 12:29 AM

Ten-er-see laid down and didn't finish the game ,, they ran out of gas because their coach is
an FCS coach and is soft ., They let OU come back ., We never get behind ,. more than 4 minutes
Funny how you cant remember your bowl game ,., Not quite a year ago .,

Dec 11, 2015, 12:36 AM

WhoaNellyKJ,
You're wrong about Sooners forgetting last year's bowl game. No Sooner has forgot that game.

Dec 11, 2015, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

For those of you who act like he's just some scrub, you either dont know football or youre just lying to yourself. IT's not weakness to admit when someone is good. It's hard to play good defense in the big 12, not all of them do it well. Some do, OU is one of them. THeir offense will challenge you either way, they have weapons everywhere and Mayfield extends plays as well as anyone. And no matter how good you are it's hard to keep people covered down field for 5 6 7 8 seconds. Not when they are good! Some of these guys were making similar plays on alabama a couple years ago. They'll do it to your team too. if north carolina, nc state and south carolina can, you can sure as hell bet OU's offense will put some n the board too. One thing you guys got right is the Oline is not very good. They were god awful in the beginning of the season. 4 new starters and 3 of them were playing for the first time. So it was a rough start but they woke up and started playing well after the texas game and look at that, been winning ever since. But yea blitz Mayfield if you want, teams did it at their own peril all last year. I know your dc is more concerned about it than you are. good thing they got coach V instead of you.

Dec 11, 2015, 12:33 AM

I should note the improvement in the Oline is impressive as they have been running for over 300 yards a game since that game too. But i guess anyone can run for 300 a game in the big 12. just look at all those teams averaging 300 rush yards a game in the big 12.

Dec 11, 2015, 12:45 AM

Well he looks ok but we have faced 10 good QB s Is he as good as Brisset ,.
at NCSU ???

Dec 11, 2015, 8:11 AM

Oh I don't know, he is 1st team AA for Walter Camp and SI, and should have been in NYC.

Dec 11, 2015, 8:52 AM

Once he starts getting dumped on his head he will wish he never made the trip to Miami.
You can count on our D line in the backfield the whole game long.
Mr Lawson will say hello early and often.

Dec 11, 2015, 9:13 AM

Badb,
Interesting take.

I think you will find that if the Clemson DL plays heavy toward pass rush, OU has two RBs that can make them pay. One holds an NCAA record for most yards rushed in a single game. Ignore the run at your peril.

Dec 11, 2015, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

WhoaNellyKY,
I don't think Brisset (NCSU) is an elite college QB. I do think Mayfield is elite.

Mayfields stats are certainly much better. But often times, a QB cannot be reduced to passing yards or QB rating. I believe Mayfield has intangible leadership qualities that, while perhaps hard to see on paper, are very noticeable on the field.

Looking forward to the game. I know Brent Venables will bring a good defense and plan to the game. I'm quite familiar with his coaching ability. But I think OU is probably a little better on offense than NCSU.

Good points, but I doubt they're much better than UNC on offense

Dec 11, 2015, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

Keep in mind that Clemson gave up less than 400 yards to UNC, and Elijah Hood couldn't run the ball on us at all. Williams had a little more success running it late in the game, but isn't more a quick scrambler? At least two of UNC's TD's came because of short fields on dumb penalties and an inexplicable special teams play. So while I do think OU's going to score some points, let's not pretend like UNC's some scrub team.

Dec 11, 2015, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

Mayfield will not have 5 , 6 , 7 or 8 seconds against Clemson .
We are ranked 7th defensively overall for a reason . Our pursuit and our front 7 are pressurers , and our DB's cover very well .
Expect the rest to do our guys a favor.
Defense needs fresh legs , and we will have them .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

He is not comparable to Watson

Dec 11, 2015, 1:06 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

Not to disrespect him, but Watson is a polished QB that has elite coaching. Mayfield is a great athlete, and has great escapability. However, he has awful footwork, very happy feet, and honestly a bit of a slow release. He is a Johnny Football type QB, just not as great as Johnny was in college.

Mayfield will most definitely make a defense pay that does not play disciplined, has bad eyes, tries to leave their responsibility to make a play, but I think once he has to throw to WR's that have tight coverage with #90 running after him, you will see the difference.

Dec 11, 2015, 1:34 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

With all due respect, the best defense that your team faced all year was Akron at #17. Tennessee's defense is ranked #46 overall while Clemson's is 7th after having faced three top-10 opponents.

Your introduction was kindly appreciated and we all expect a great game but the statistics are hard to deny. Clemson will surely present itself as the hardest defense Oklahoma has seen all year.

Dec 11, 2015, 8:22 AM

CUYankee,

Tennessee is 26th in opponent points per game. Clemson is 21, and Akron is 29.

Perhaps a better stat is opponent points per play. Tennessee is 26th in that regard; Clemson is #35,and Akron is #36.

Dec 11, 2015, 9:10 AM

> CUYankee,
>
> Tennessee is 26th in opponent points per game.
> Clemson is 21, and Akron is 29.
>
> Perhaps a better stat is opponent points per play.
> Tennessee is 26th in that regard; Clemson is #35,and
> Akron is #36.

We can go stat-for-stat all day I'm sure but it's honestly apples to oranges when you look at who each team has played (and won against).

(Defenses faces stats)

Oklahoma
#17, #46, #55, #59, #66, #95, #100, #107 (lost to), #108, #125, #126, #127 (0 FCS)
avg. ranking of #85 with only 2 in the top 50 and only 1 of those were top 20 (Akron).

Clemson
#1, #12, #13, #15, #19, #38, #39, #43, #76, #96, #99 (+1 FCS)
avg. ranking of #41, with 8 in the top 50, and 5 of those are in the top 20. [credits: Tigernan1978]

Two huge factors that I think are in Clemson's favor are both 3rd downs and sacks. For such a dynamic QB in Mayfield, he's been sacked 34 times this year compared to Deshaun being sacked 12 times (nearly 3x less) against better defenses. Further, Oklahoma's defense is allowing offenses to convert 39.8% on 3rd down while Clemson is allowing just 24.9%. [credits: 81tiger81]

Everyone knows y'all put up points in the Big-12, no doubt. But you're always left wondering - is it because your offenses are that good or because your defenses are that bad? It's hard to debate the latter, especially after this year.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the game as much as you! I wish we were playing tomorrow! :)

Dec 11, 2015, 9:30 AM

I try to be careful with stats. It's too easy to miss the obvious when looking for desirable results.

For instance does anyone believe Akron is really the best defense Oklahoma faced this year?

Does anyone believe Akron is really the #17 defense in college football? Or even the best one OU has faced?

It may have something to do with Akron's level of competition through out the year maybe? Their conference isn't exactly full of juggernauts on offense or defense.

This is why stats are tricky and can be misleading

null

Dec 11, 2015, 9:47 AM

Hey man, y'all put them on your schedule, we didn't. Lol. I was trying to give you pearls considering that was statistically one of the best defenses you saw all year.

But I agree with you on stats. Do I think Boston College had the best defense we played all year? Statistically, yes, they were number 1 when we played them (maybe still are), but we beat them 34-17 whereas the South Carolina game was a 60min battle. It all comes down to scheme and who comes up with the best strategy to handle the opponent. I truly believe that our line will disrupt Mayfield's normal course of business and our secondary will cover you 10x better than the bozos I just watched in this highlight reel. And once Mayfield gets hit in the open field a few times after tucking the ball by a healthy Ben Boulware, TJ Greene or Jayron Kearse; I think y'all might regret yesterday's decision to release Trevor Knight.

Dec 11, 2015, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: OU highlights for Baker Mayfield are laughable.... ]

Here is the thing about stats, they measure the performance of your opponent, not your team. If OU played at those statistical levels (both offense and defense) then you might have something. But in those games OU bettered those teams statistically and controlled those games early and managed the game to victory. You can only play the teams on your schedule, it is how you play those teams that matters. Can you honestly say that down the stretch that Clemson had these games in hand?

Dec 11, 2015, 9:38 AM

Can I honestly say that we had these games in hand? Honestly? Yes. I think we only trailed once all year and it was by 2 points and lasted just long enough for me to take a ####. I watched both a game where y'all were down 14-3 at halftime against an unranked Texas team and another where you won in double-overtime to a Tennessee team that finished 8-4 overall. We beat everyone we played in regulation, we never needed overtime. And we have also found a way to win despite losing both penalty and turnover margins. I also wouldn't call that one-point victory against TCU a landslide.

Were we tired toward the end? Yes. We played 10 straight and our defense was banged up. We have also played one more game than you have.

But you know what I can honestly say? The Clemson Tigers have been ranked #1 every week since rankings have mattered and we never lost a game. You, my Sooner friend, can say neither of those things.

Dec 11, 2015, 9:58 AM

OK maybe my glass is 1/2 full, but I look at the Tenn game as a great test they won. Like you said down 14-3 late in the game, on the road in a packed Neyland and the team could have set it down, but rallied to beat a team looking for a signature victory on the road. No Sooner is denying that the team stunk up the joint in Dallas, but unlike other teams that might have packed it in the team got better. Up 23 - 7 at 1/2 half and controlling the game Mayfield was knocked out with a concussion. Yes the game was close, and it made every Sooner realized how special Mayfield is to the team, on both sides of the ball.

Dec 11, 2015, 10:10 AM

Stats and team-bias aside, I don't think anyone here, on our team, or our staff would legitimately say that we don't respect Mayfield. The kid is nice on the field and the fact that he's walked-on and excelled at not one but two teams says a lot. Everyone knows our game is the game to watch.

Dec 11, 2015, 1:26 AM

While I don't see an NFL type talent (Manziel leaps to mind watching him) indo see a guy who has made plays, stressed defenses, wearing them out, aND extended plays with his feet. His throws while not textbook have decent velocity and are usually in good location. They have weapons in Shepard, Perine, Flowers and a few others. While Trevor Knight played into the Ds hands last year, he provides more of a dilemma. Can we beat them? ABSOLUTELY! But I, nor I'm sure BV will be sleeping on these guys.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lawd, some of y'all are huge homers

Dec 11, 2015, 1:29 AM

Mayfield's ability to extend plays, which is shown there, is pretty amazing.

Definitely not one of those QBs that goes

Dec 11, 2015, 1:52 AM

Straight to the ground at the first sign or two of contact.

We will need to keep the ole tackles to a minimum.

Accurate enough to drop that ball in a swimming pool!

Dec 11, 2015, 3:02 AM

Good Lord those are some bad looking defenses. Anyone within 4 yards?

Re: Accurate enough to drop that ball in a swimming pool!

Dec 11, 2015, 7:55 AM

He looks pretty good to me.
Their line kinda sux, so it adds credit to him for overcoming that.

It's definitely not last year's Oklahoma; they're going to score a lot.

We just need to score 1 point more, and I think we can.

Lol...

Dec 11, 2015, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Accurate enough to drop that ball in a swimming pool! ]

You are the only one that is seeing what I am seeing. I see TERRIBLE tackling. I see AWFUL WR coverage. I see defenses taking bad lines to the ball.

I said nothing about his ability to scramble...but if they think Clemson is going to lay down on defense like every team in these clips...that's a big mistake.

I'm getting downvoted for this crap too...idgits.

TIGER BALLS.

Pretty average.***

Dec 11, 2015, 7:47 AM

nm

He's elusive and has a quick release when he has a target.

Dec 11, 2015, 8:00 AM

Many times, however, he'll hold the ball way too long and take a sack because of it. Where he really shines is when he decides to run with it. Tough kid. Not afraid to lower his shoulder and get a few more yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Dec 11, 2015, 8:37 AM

Oklahoma will try to spread the Clemson defense. If Baker Mayfield does not take the snap directly he becomes their primary receiver. We can make all the comparisons we want. It is better to be prepared for the perceived weakness in our defense. Truthfully, when our defense has been put in a poor position ( turnover in the red zone) we have not responded well. Expect Oklahoma to run some trickeration early to disrupt our defense. This is an opportunity for the defense to disrupt right back by being prepared.

Dec 11, 2015, 8:49 AM

> Truthfully,
> when our defense has been put in a poor position (
> turnover in the red zone) we have not responded well.
> Expect Oklahoma to run some trickeration early to
> disrupt our defense. This is an opportunity for the
> defense to disrupt right back by being prepared.

So, you don't watch Clemson games do you?

Dec 11, 2015, 3:44 PM

Watched them all. Alumnus from 88'. If we want to beat a good team we have to be honest and study our own weakness to get better. I love the way our defense adjusts against the run, but we have been beat on simple wheel routes out of the backfield all season. We have a great secondary. Notre Dame comeback, wheel route, Georgia Tech scores wheel routes, Florida State late drives wheel routes, because we shut down Dakvin Cook the best back in the country. I love the Clemson D. But I always know there is room for improvement, and I am not the only one that watches film. Mayfield can run. Our defense will contain busted plays. The threat would then be if they spread the defense with wideouts and try to snap directly to a 2nd string quarterback or running back and we assume it is a run. This would be similar to when DW rolls right behind a pulling guard, (looks like run) and then completes the short pass to Leggett. OU will throw to Mayfield. Our safeties have to stay home and pick up the receiver action out of the backfield.

Dec 11, 2015, 5:20 PM

Agreed on the wheel routes, I've been saying the same thing all year long. If we stay with the nickel back formation, remember our assignments, don't over-pursue gaps & be mindful of the slant routes, it will be a nightmare for Oklahoma's offense. Anyone who doesn't believe that hasn't watched any film whatsoever and has no faith in our D. When we play sound, we are impregnable.

He buys time with his legs

Dec 11, 2015, 8:51 AM

gets the defense to break down and allows his receivers to get open. Gonna have to do a good job of playing disciplined when that happens to prevent a big play like against UNC when Williams threw it over to Logan the RB with no defender on that side of the field.

Not to me. Good arm. Accurate. Extends plays.

Dec 11, 2015, 9:30 AM

Always looking downfield. Good job looking off defenders.

A darned good quarterback. Crazy that he's a walk-on.

Should be a heck of a game. I'm optimistic that rest will help our defense a great deal and they will be ready to defend him. I have faith in our coaching staff...given several weeks to prepare, our team usually looks very focused and disciplined.

null

Jan 5, 2016, 12:49 PM

Shamelessly bumping an older Baker Mayfield threat to promote our IG page... If you aren't following ClemsonFB on Instagram yet, you should be!

https://instagram.com/p/BAKnA8GLJcH/

Cheers to our social media squad. Y'all are doing an amazing job!

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic