Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Disappointed Peake hasn't stepped up in Williams' absence...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Disappointed Peake hasn't stepped up in Williams' absence...

Oct 4, 2015, 12:48 PM

He nearly cost us the game by becoming a bystander on that interception.

How many more chances will he get? Will he even get drafted after this year? He has all the tools but something isn't right between the ears.

Time to give the younger guys a shot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does not attach the ball.

Oct 4, 2015, 12:51 PM

That is the difference between him and Williams. Williams is aggressive and goes to get the ball. Peake waits on it.

Hard to coach that sometimes. Some folks have just got to want it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does not attach the ball.

Oct 4, 2015, 12:56 PM

I'm all for the youth movement now. I think you grow thompson and Cain. Peake is not a primary receiver. He's more of a complimentary type. This team could make the playoffs with the way the defense is playing. But the offense will have to take it up a few levels . I'm not complaining because a win is a win. But we cannot rely on Watson running he took some big hits and will not last all eight games. Thoughts

My thought: wish Wofford guy hadn't shoved Williams.

Oct 4, 2015, 1:05 PM

We really miss Williams badly. I didn't think it would be this bad, but we have no downfield threat right now.

I'm all for the youth getting experience, but last night was not the time to do that. Just look at what happened when they did.

Cain let a little crossing pattern flip (that Watson did not throw that hard and threw perfectly) go right through his hands and that could have been disastrous if the ND player had reacted to it.

McCloud took his eyes off the jet sweep before he had it. Luckily that is just an incomplete pass because even though he recovered the ball if it had been a fumble we would have lost 10 yards there.

Did Thompson have a catch or even a target?

Last night we had to ride the starters to the end. Almost disastrous for the defense (they were clearly exhausted the last 10 minutes of the 4th). But they stepped up when they had to.

All in all, I think we are getting better and some young guys need to start stepping up. But last night was probably not the time to expect that.

Re: My thought: wish Wofford guy hadn't shoved Williams.

Oct 4, 2015, 5:09 PM

Thumbs up for you sir!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My thought: wish Wofford guy hadn't shoved Williams.

Oct 4, 2015, 5:11 PM

I'm sure a Tiger DB wouldn't shove an opposing receiver in the end zone.

Attach it to what?***

Oct 4, 2015, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Does not attach the ball. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you will see a change, JMO

Oct 4, 2015, 12:51 PM

Go Tigers........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Re: Disappointed Peake hasn't stepped up in Williams' absence...

Oct 4, 2015, 12:53 PM

Dabo tore him a new one for about 30 seconds.
CP is running out of chances and if he doesn't step up soon will be riding the pine.

No fight

Oct 4, 2015, 12:58 PM

He has no fight, and drops a good bit of balls. I hope he finds it soon

that's right, and the first int against app state was really

Oct 4, 2015, 12:59 PM

his fault. He wasn't running at full speed that play. If he had, it would have been a complete pass, with a big chunk of yards after the catch. Might have to go with Trevion Thompson or Deon Cain at his position before the season is over, if he doesn't step his game up.

Oct 4, 2015, 1:05 PM

I agree.

I've been pulling for him to come through, especially since he's been able to finally put the injuries behind him - but he's just not getting it done. Not only is he not producing when we need him, but I also feel like he's partially responsible for two picks this year with his half-a$$ attempts to go and attack the ball. If I was DW I'd be hesitant to throw him the ball.

Im hoping he picks it up, but if not I'm up for giving Thompson more PT at that spot. I thought he was supposed to be showing out during summer and fall camp.

Ball was so under thrown ,because of the weather,

Oct 4, 2015, 1:10 PM

he had no chance at the ball.At best he could have just tackled the guy and took a PI. Otherwise, some people will always find something to complain about. Dabo himself said the game plan changed after the rain got harder.Anyone complaining should just S T F U !!!!

At worst

Oct 4, 2015, 1:12 PM

He could peacefully fade into the back of the end zone while the Notre Dame DB calmly picks off the pass

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

He could, but that's not what happened.***

Oct 4, 2015, 1:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He didn't manage to get a finger on the ball or the large DB

Oct 4, 2015, 1:15 PM

That thing was hanging up for ever. Maybe he just has poor eyesight. I think the constant injuries has put him behind as a football player. He's big and fast, but just doesn't get it done. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for him, but big time players make big time plays, and if he is going to be our outside receiver, he's going to need to start making some.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

The ball was badly underthrown. How about DW's role in that?

Oct 4, 2015, 1:31 PM

It's funny how different players are cut slack on here and others don't get the same. Scott missed a pass he could have caught, but a different standard applied: "You try catching a ball in a driving rain!", "Give him a break, he was looking up into a downpour", and such. But Peake doesn't have good eyesight. Peake was turned completely around and back-peddling because the pass was so poorly thrown; that's not his fault. And he was lucky to even get a hand on it or the receiver because it was so badly underthrown. This was not his responsibility or fault at all.

Again, yes, Peak has failed to live up to the hype, and he may need to be replaced at some point, and he has not stepped up like we'd hoped. I agree with that. All I'm saying is it's absurd to blame him in any way for the int last night.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The ball was under thrown. I totally agree

Oct 4, 2015, 1:37 PM

That being said, Peake knew the ball was going to him deep in the end zone. That was the primary read. The worst thing that should happen on a 1 on 1 deep ball to your primary receiver is an incomplete pass. You've got to fight for your QB and break up the pass. It wasn't Scott missing a pass because the ball was wet. It was Peake not getting a hand on the ball or the DB and just continuing to fade out of the end zone instead of planting his feet and competing for the ball.

I agree with you and as far as Watson goes

Oct 4, 2015, 1:41 PM

he's earned some slack not Peake.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was competing to make the best of a bad situation that

Oct 4, 2015, 1:44 PM [ in reply to The ball was under thrown. I totally agree ]

was not his fault. In spite of his best effort, he was unable to make up for another player's failure. Not his fault at all. Yet, somehow on T-Net, it has been perceived as all his fault, with little to no blame going to the real culprit, DW.

- H. L. Mencken

Did he get his hand on the ball or the DB

Oct 4, 2015, 1:49 PM

Or did he continue to fade out of the end zone on an obviously under thrown ball? Please explain how he was competing for that ball.

He had his man beat; a well thrown ball results in a TD.

Oct 4, 2015, 2:05 PM

Instead, he had to turn completely around in full stride and back peddle while decelerating. Due to the pass being underthrown, it put the DB in perfect position. Still, you can see Peake looking the ball in, reaching out for the ball as he's back-peddling, but the ball was so underthrown he was unable to adjust enough to break his momentum and compensate, and the DB who was in better position made the play. I would not have expected Williams, Scott, Watkins, or Hopkins to make that play, nor would I have blamed them had they not. That's totally on the QB.

- H. L. Mencken

He's playing in the middle of a monsoon

Oct 4, 2015, 2:12 PM

You've got to expect the ball to not be perfect. He tried to watch the ball into his stomach while the DB was effortlessly picking it off at the high point. At some point you've got to realize the pass is short and there is a DB between you and the ball and adjust accordingly, instead of continuing on like the pass is perfect, when it is obviously not. I get it, that's a tough play, but this is big time college football and genus supposed to be one of the best athletes on the team.

He was effortlessly picking it off because it was so badly

Oct 4, 2015, 2:31 PM

underthrown, not because Peake did not try to make a play. I would not have expected any better of any receiver.

- H. L. Mencken

With Nuk, Sammy, or Martavis it would have just been an...

Oct 4, 2015, 1:49 PM [ in reply to The ball was under thrown. I totally agree ]

incomplete pass not an int.

They were great players, on a different level than what we

Oct 4, 2015, 2:08 PM

have seen from Peake, for sure. That does not mean they would have made that play, nor should have been expected to.

- H. L. Mencken

When did either of them make that play in those same

Oct 4, 2015, 3:02 PM [ in reply to With Nuk, Sammy, or Martavis it would have just been an... ]

exact conditions ? NEVER. It was a monsoon,QB under threw the ball and WR's can't adjust as fast under those extreme weather conditions.

Absolutely.***

Oct 4, 2015, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Ball was so under thrown ,because of the weather, ]

- H. L. Mencken

Seems to be just a tick late in deciding to make some of the

Oct 4, 2015, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Ball was so under thrown ,because of the weather, ]

throws. A little earlier gives him and Peake more room to make a play.

I call BS on blaming Peake for the interception.

Oct 4, 2015, 1:12 PM

The ball was badly underthrown/thrown late. It was a bad pass. That interception is 100% on DW. Peake had to turn around and back-peddle, and the DB had perfect position. DW more or less threw it to the DB. Peake was turned completely around and going backwards, and unable to make a play on the ball or effectively stop the defender, who had perfect position, from making the catch. 100% on Watson.

Here's how it works on T-Net. A player comes in very highly regarded and thus with very high expectations, but for various reasons, never lives up to the hype. It may or may not be the player's fault, but that makes no difference. That player then becomes the boogey man. He's a failure, a disappointment, and any play he's involved in that goes wrong becomes his fault and is just further evidence of his failure.

I agree, Peake has failed to live up to the 4/5 star billing he came with. At some point he may be replaced and or have PT reduced. That's fine; but the INT last night was not on him.

- H. L. Mencken

Hold on there....

Oct 4, 2015, 1:18 PM

Peake has been a steady disappointment. I noticed this since the beginning of the year. You may or may not see this interception has his fault but don't BLAME people for simply posting what they see.

What I am sick of on TNET is people trashing others for simple observations that aren't glowing. I imagine a message board like this to be a very boring one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay . . .

Oct 4, 2015, 1:40 PM

Peake has been a steady disappointment. I noticed this since the beginning of the year.

I don't disagree. As I've said repeatedly, I agree he has failed to step up.

I'm not blaming anybody, I'm just posting what I see.

I'm not against observations that aren't glowing, not in the least; I would have been fine with posts that were critical of DW for throwing a bad pass, but criticism of DW is off limits. I just against the bandwagon boogey man mentality I see on here where players get unfairly (in my opinion, as I see it) blamed for things that aren't their fault simply because they have been a disappointment in general.

- H. L. Mencken

I agree with you however...

Oct 4, 2015, 1:45 PM

Peake probably should have been called out sooner IMHO. For this reason, I have no problem with people not giving him any slack now that the injuries have been put behind him.

Watson has also been declining a bit. I think this has more to do with Elliot than anything. There goes another can of worms!

Maybe so, but I tend to give coaches the benefit of the

Oct 4, 2015, 1:53 PM

doubt when it comes to personnel decisions. They obviously see something in Peake that has yet to translate into game success.

Watson is very obviously less sharp than he was last year. Is that rust/injury related? Is that Elliot/Streeter/Scott? That is another can of worms indeed.

- H. L. Mencken

Or maybe

Oct 4, 2015, 2:08 PM

He is 10 months out from reconstructive knee surgery, is playing without his best receiver, and has gone against 2 excellent front 7's in Louisville and Notre Dame. Oh, and there was the little problem with torrential rainfall yesterday.

Well, I accounted for his injury and rust, but those other

Oct 4, 2015, 2:54 PM

things are likely factors as well. There is no doubt he has not been as sharp throwing the ball, however, I think his running, decision making, field vision, and maturity have all been outstanding. He has thrown the ball well enough when needed, but overall as a QB he has played extremely well and done exactly what has been asked of him. His passing stats last night do not look great, but he intentionally threw away at least 3 that I can think of, maybe more. That's what I love about him, he doesn't really care about the stats, but executes the gameplan beautifully.

- H. L. Mencken

he needs to be moved back inside...

Oct 4, 2015, 1:44 PM [ in reply to I call BS on blaming Peake for the interception. ]

he has 2 roles on that play both involve the ball with the first one pretty obvious. the 2nd was to protect the ball, the possession & his qb who counts on him to become the defender when it's needed.

he failed.

it's OK that he's not mike williams or nuk hopkins. it's not OK that he's our only option at that spot because if he's the best we have, we're giving up 1/3rd plus of the field in the passing game versus good competition because that position he's manning requires a set of nuts and a mentality that the ball is one person's and that person can not be wearing the opposing team's colors.

he did not attack the ball, he waited for it to clear the defender who completely dominated charone on that play.

i'm sad for him, but he is playing out of position; that i will say for him.

and no, i'm not asking for him to be moved back inside based on this one play alone, but he's just not been aggressive for whatever the reasons.

maybe he's just a nice guy?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noticed him not attacking the ball during an INT

Oct 4, 2015, 1:54 PM

the first or second game (can't remember which in my old age). He doesn't play aggressive enough.

Like you, I don't blame him for lacking the talent to play, but the lack of effort there is no excuse for. I would bench him.

he's playing out of position, i don't know that he needs to

Oct 4, 2015, 2:05 PM

be benched, he's just not "built"[at least to this point] for the boundary; it's not for the meek.

as glowing as the coaches were about thompson, i'd like to see he & cain get more reps at 9 and put charone back where he's more comfortable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right. Maybe at a different position and as a third

Oct 4, 2015, 3:00 PM

option but still, out of all the freshman and Hunter (who's the best WR right now IMHO) we can't find three or four better? Maybe not, it's just a question I have. Like you, I would more like to see freshman get experience then spend more time on Peake. I don't know why but I was never overly impressed with Peake even as a recruit. Just a gut feeling that I can't explain.

The bench might be where he's more comfortable***

Oct 4, 2015, 5:24 PM [ in reply to he's playing out of position, i don't know that he needs to ]

My thoughts too***

Oct 4, 2015, 1:47 PM [ in reply to I call BS on blaming Peake for the interception. ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is so stupid. No WRs stepped up on deep balls.

Oct 4, 2015, 1:35 PM

Last night was a horror show for passes over 15 yards. Artavis and Fuller included.

Exactly.***

Oct 4, 2015, 1:45 PM

- H. L. Mencken

At least the other WRs gave an effort...

Oct 4, 2015, 6:47 PM [ in reply to This is so stupid. No WRs stepped up on deep balls. ]

Didn't see Dabo giving any of the other WRs an earful on the sideline.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doesn't like contact

Oct 4, 2015, 1:40 PM

Seems to be lacking in the heart category and just not hungry for the ball. It went unnoticed because Mike was producing so much,but now it's becoming obvious

What a stupid crock. Video evidence to the contrary...

Oct 4, 2015, 9:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=TUFreICEPGQ

I hate when scrub fans look for Clemson athletes to hate on.

It is obvious that he does not have the "it" that is common

Oct 4, 2015, 1:43 PM

with our WR's. That pass that got picked was ALL on him and his lack of desire.

Watson threw a bad pass. It's comical for T-Netters to make

Oct 4, 2015, 1:47 PM

character judgements regarding our players.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: It is obvious that he does not have the "it" that is common

Oct 4, 2015, 4:08 PM [ in reply to It is obvious that he does not have the "it" that is common ]

absolutely!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2015, 1:48 PM

Agree, thought he would step up and become our "big receiver" guy with Mike Williams out....but he plays timid and I don't see that happening....Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 4, 2015, 3:02 PM

Does anyone think Mike Williams could be back before a game around FSU? Getting him back would be huge if we stay undefeated by that point.

Oct 4, 2015, 4:44 PM

Aren't we all. The "out of position" talk is BS. Charone has said many times that it doesn't matter - he plays both positions everyday in practice. Five years & all Charone has to show for it is a good game vs GA in 2013. Until/unless Williams returns, I say leave CP out there & hope that the light comes on. Recall that Bryant did absolutely nothing until just before he headed for the door. We don't have much choice until some of the other WRs become viable options. Tay Scott will come on as a receiver but it's a tighter window with his lack of height. I think they want to red-shirt Williams but believe that they should re-think that idea.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2015, 4:06 PM

absolutely,,,, IMHO Peake is a waste of playing time

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2015, 4:13 PM

Peake used to be aggressive. He is still not over his knee problems and scared. I cant blame him, but he has to get over it or he has no career after clemson. My knee is done. And it changes my whole mindset even walking down the street. I hate it for him. He is a good guy and was a going to be great. Theres still time for him to get over it and i pray that he does.

There are some players that just never live up to the expect

Oct 4, 2015, 9:57 PM

ations of the fanbase ...

Rendrick Taylor comes to mind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic