Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has Dabo ever said why he doesn't recruit Jucos or transfers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Has Dabo ever said why he doesn't recruit Jucos or transfers

Mar 29, 2019, 9:58 AM

I know he has that policy, but not sure I've heard him say why he follows that rule so strictly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has Dabo ever said why he doesn't recruit Jucos or transfers

Mar 29, 2019, 10:09 AM

From article in 2014 right before Clemson took over College Football.

“I definitely believe in developing through the draft, if you will, as opposed to the free agent market,” Swinney said, favoring high school recruiting focus over junior college. “I believe in having a good draft and developing our players. I’ve always believed that way.”

“They have to meet certain requirements for progress towards a degree. That’s an NCAA rule,” Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said. “So you have to have the flexibility within your academic programs to be able to receive that type of individual.”

Message was edited by: reynolds®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2019, 10:13 AM

Not speaking for Dabo but taking judo people can mess us a good team.Why would a player who was recruited and ready to play be happy with a coach who brings in a juco with no skin in the team.Can cause locker room turmoil

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2019, 10:37 AM

That is a HUGE reason that I don't care for it. Has to be demoralizing to guys who have worked hard and waited for their playing time(whether 1st string, 2nd...whatever)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2019, 10:14 AM

He has 100 players standing behind him bidding their time. So here comes 101 :)
Thats why..

Mar 29, 2019, 10:28 AM

5 star freshman > best Juco prospect every year

Juco players who are good enough could be 1 and done and that is not something that can be sustained in football.

Dabo loves our ability to develop young talent and wants those guys to stay in the program to get settled into the culture.

Also Clemson is a very difficult school to transfer into athletically.

In order to be eligible, athletes must have a certain percentage of their degree completed based on what year they are in school. Junior colleges do not usually have classes that will transfer directly to Clemson to reach that certain percentage of degree completion.

Dabo had that same approach before we became such

Mar 29, 2019, 10:32 AM

a recruiting juggernaut. It's not just a recent phenomenon.

Re: Dabo had that same approach before we became such

Mar 29, 2019, 10:36 AM

My last two points hold up no matter how good the team may be.

My first point mentioned a 5 star but the same holds true for lower level players.

4 star freshman > 4 star juco and so on with 3 stars and below.

The only questionable take may be between a highly rated juco guy and a mid tier high school recruit.

That situation is where the last two things make the decision a no for Dabo.

He wants his type of guys that he knows he will have for 3,4 or 5 years.

Also there is a ton of extra hassle in trying to get all of the academic things straight for transfers.

It seems obvious.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:31 AM

We're so deep that most players don't start unless they are in the top 10 at their position. We start super talented freshman at some positions and the other positions are filled with upperclassmen who have spent a heck of a long time training to perform in the Clemson way.

There's more to this than football. Teenage boys go through a radical change between the age of 15 and 18. They make another radical change between 18 and 25 then again between 25 and 30. Think back if you're that far along.

Dabo examines the behavior of recruits. The 15-18 change is where he looks to make sure they are suitable for the Clemson culture. If they are we recruit, sign and maturate them through that 18-25 change the probability that they'll become good fathers, husbands and citizens is extremely high.

There are many examples of Dabo's process being successful.

Besides all that, we win football games at a historic rate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That has been Dabo's approach from the get go.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:34 AM

Well before we had all the talent on the roster that we have now, that was his approach.

Re: That has been Dabo's approach from the get go.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:49 AM

I’ve seen recruits cite that policy as a reason to go there. The only major transfer I can remember was the LB that came with Venables from OU. Then he played a grad year somewhere else,

Kellen Jones.

Mar 29, 2019, 4:43 PM

He had a strange career arc. He enrolled at Michigan, transferred to Oklahoma 2 months later, transferred a year later and played sparingly, missed a season injured then came back and finished out the next season and graduated. Transferred to Wisconsin as a graduate, and left there after two games. I think that was the end of his football career after that, but I lost track of him at that point.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

5-star freshman are better than juco transfers***

Mar 29, 2019, 10:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This policy goes back to before we were recruiting all of

Mar 29, 2019, 10:53 AM

the talent we are now. This is not simply a recent approach.

Re: 5-star freshman are better than juco transfers***

Mar 29, 2019, 10:59 AM [ in reply to 5-star freshman are better than juco transfers*** ]

17 freshman recruits enrolled in January. That's 4 or 5 spring practices by the time they leave plus regular camp. They are developed as needed by our coaches. Earn early playing time, last year we averaged 72.5 players per game, 15-16 more than any other playoff team. JUCOs come in to 1st fall camp having to learn the plays and system.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2019, 10:53 AM

I could be wrong but didn’t the coots try the juco thing the other year? That seemed to work out well for them.

Mar 29, 2019, 2:29 PM

Holtz was a JUCO fan, as is WM, SS can't recall.

Dabo's too busy trying to figure out how to get all his

Mar 29, 2019, 10:54 AM

great players on the field instead of finding a player to fill a position.

Mar 29, 2019, 11:19 AM

Leaning heavy on Jucos is a sign your program is not doing very well.

Mar 29, 2019, 11:40 AM

Kansas State is the exception

but if you have needs you have to go JUCO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Primary reason is

Mar 29, 2019, 11:33 AM

He doesn't have to.

He does not have to. We are doing just fine

Mar 29, 2019, 11:40 AM

without them.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

between the kids he wants to offer out of HS...

Mar 29, 2019, 11:53 AM

and his commitment to have real rewards for the walk-on program we run, there is no room left. Those two avenues are competitive because of our Program's brand, and that alone gives us the top performers on the field. IMHO.

Surprise to about everyone in this topic..

Mar 29, 2019, 12:50 PM

but he's actually said he'd like to take in one or two a year if he could. It's not him that hasn't allowed it.

https://www.tigernet.com/update/Dabo-Swinney-on-signing-JUCO-players-7716

It seems it actually deals with Clemson lacking a degree program that allows their hours to transfer.

Re: Surprise to about everyone in this topic..

Mar 29, 2019, 4:58 PM

but he's actually said he'd like to take in one or two a year if he could. It's not him that hasn't allowed it.

https://www.tigernet.com/update/Dabo-Swinney-on-signing-JUCO-players-7716

It seems it actually deals with Clemson lacking a degree program that allows their hours to transfer.

That is a surprise. The "no-Juco" thing is definitely currently a part of the sales pitch to recruits. I guess he could cross that bridge when the time comes. Even if he could no longer pitch "no-Juco" it would still be a low number, the facilities would still be great, the team will still be winning, and lots of the roster will still get playing time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Surprise to about everyone in this topic..

Mar 29, 2019, 5:03 PM

That’s Article was from 6 years ago. I think his philosophy on that has changed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2019, 2:23 PM

Probably because unless the collective roster is weak, this option is a band-aid w/ risks. Also, when building a roster; the foundation & depth, is an ongoing process. Inserting a juco/transfer, who may or may not assimilate, could create fractures.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic