Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Saban nails it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Saban nails it.

Aug 18, 2020, 1:15 PM

Note: I posted this on an FSU board, hence the references to Norvell and Taggart. But, when I heard him say it I immediately thought of Clemson.

The issue isn't how well the players will do when they are in the bubble. The issue is how they will do when they are outside our bubble in their own personal bubble. The players want to play. They have to understand that they have to make sacrifices in order to play.

That is a paraphrase of what he said. He also talked about the positivity rate for players at Bama is less than 1% while the state as a whole is about 10%.

I think he's right. The successful teams this year will be the teams that have the personal discipline to take the necessary actions to minimize their probability of contracting the virus. And, that boils down to culture. It boils down to how much respect their have for their coaches and how much they really want to play. I hope Norvell has been able to relate to the players enough so that they will get the message. (As an aside, I can't imagine how many players would test positive during the season if Taggart were still the coach.)

My guess is Bama and Clemson will have among the lowest positive rates in the country. If I were a fan of the following schools I would be far more concerned: South Carolina, aTm, Ole Miss, MS State, Miami, Tennessee.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't a bunch of FSU players recently accuse the staff...

Aug 18, 2020, 1:19 PM

of not following the COVID protocols for testing, screening and safety and then trying to cover it up?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Didn't a bunch of FSU players recently accuse the staff...

Aug 18, 2020, 1:29 PM

3 guys. Then several went on Twitter defending Norvell and the system. Two of the three guys are definitely prima donnas. We discussed it in another thread here so I won't replay that. Since then we have had a full scrimmage and things seem to be fine. Too early to tell on Norvell, but we are very sure he is a step up from Taggart.

Time will tell how long it takes him to "change the culture." I'm nervous because he is a first year coach. I hope hea and the staff can convince the players to understand how important it is to stay in their own personal bubble when away from the athletic facilities.

Re: Didn't a bunch of FSU players recently accuse the staff...

Aug 18, 2020, 1:30 PM

He would almost have to be better than Taggart

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I'd consider Norvell a first year coach...

Aug 18, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't a bunch of FSU players recently accuse the staff... ]

First year at a Power 5 program maybe where the expectations are significantly higher.

He did pretty well in his four years at Memphis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He didn't say first TIME coach, he said first year coach,

Aug 18, 2020, 2:23 PM

because this is his first year at FSU

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody said "first time".***

Aug 18, 2020, 2:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly...

Aug 18, 2020, 2:39 PM [ in reply to He didn't say first TIME coach, he said first year coach, ]

which is why my post says "first year".

Re: Saban nails it.

Aug 18, 2020, 1:51 PM

Whenever a new HC is brought into the ACC, I like to read as much about them to see how much of a threat they will be as in winning in the ACC. As FSU being one of our top rivals in the ACC, even though the program was left in a wreck by Jimbo, I've thought that at some point FSU would bring in a HC that would get FSU back to playing championship FB.

When Norvel was hire, I began a search to see where he had coached, and who his mentors had been through his course of becoming a HC. Without doing the search again, I feel safe saying that he had decent mentors coming up through the ranks to become a HC at a program as FSU. My opinion is that with the talent that FSU has, and has always been able to recruit from the state of Florida, given enough time I believe that Norvell will be successful at FSU, but he will have to lasso those bad attitudes of players that got completely out of control with Jimbo, and it seem to get even worse under Taggart.

Norvell will have a tough road to hold, and for him to get full control of that program, he may have to run off half or more of the talent that was there when he got there, and just start recruiting good behavior first, and with talent being their upside. But I believe he has a chance to be the next great FSU HC if he does thing the right way. Maybe he should hang around with Dabo in an off season, if Dabo would allow....

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 1:56 PM

Great post. Added bonus is a new Tnet expression: “road to hold”. Always thought it was “row to hoe” but I could be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe it was a war reference...***

Aug 18, 2020, 2:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban nails it. ]

Might as well add "reign in" as opposed to "rein in" while we're at it haha

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 6:36 PM

For a while now, I had been thinking that the T-net grammar police had been fired or laid off. Maybe they have been asleep, and I woke ;) one of them up!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2020, 8:43 AM

I kind of like it actually. It's like rein in, but with POWER.

The prospect of actually having a football season woke me up! STDB!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2020, 10:43 AM

;)!!!!

Always take what allinallorangeallthetime52 says with a

Aug 18, 2020, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban nails it. ]

grade of slaw

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

He's about to get landblasted.***

Aug 18, 2020, 4:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Aug 18, 2020, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban nails it. ]

This has to be a new saying on tnet, lmfao

Aug 19, 2020, 10:49 AM

LMAO, don't blame me if it's new to you, and surely you don't think that I made that up all by myself. If so, you're giving me credit that I don't deserve bc, I have been hearing that it will be a hard/tough road to hold all my life, pretty near anyway!!! ;)

Aug 18, 2020, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban nails it. ]

Whos a hoe?;) I've always heard it as, a hard/tough road to hold!!!

FSU's issues have always been the Offensive Line

Aug 18, 2020, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Saban nails it. ]

That won't change over night. It was a problem with Jimbo and it will a problem with Norvel. Speaking of him, he has been through the ringer and hadn't even coached his 1st game. How much rope they give him will determine how successful he will be. It won't matter our Tigers are in another plain at this time.

Re: FSU's issues have always been the Offensive Line

Aug 18, 2020, 2:33 PM

The OL was horrible under Jimmy Heggins in the 90s. Mark Richt was a genius in figuring out how to run a successful offense with an OL that could not run block.

Rick Trickett was supposed to fix it with his zone blocking scheme. It was horrible, and got worse.

But, Jimbo was the guy who destroyed the culture that Bobby had built. And, when he quit on the team the last year he was there it made matters worse.

Taggart came in and we were excited. But, his leadership was horrible. He seemed more interested in being friends with the players than their coach. As one of the fans remarked after the first game, "It seemed like the players spent more time practicing their dance moves than the plays."

Aug 18, 2020, 2:50 PM

I believe what you say about Taggart at FSU. It was his dream job and he probably relaxed after he got there.

The irony is that during his one year at Oregon, Taggart was a very hard taskmaster who took no prisoners. I won't go into detail, but he actually crossed the line a couple of times and got in trouble.

Regardless, I was happy to see him fall flat on his face at FSU. Serves him right.

Aug 18, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: FSU's issues have always been the Offensive Line ]

I believe what you say about Taggart at FSU. It was his dream job and he probably relaxed after he got there.

The irony is that during his one year at Oregon, Taggart was a very hard taskmaster who took no prisoners. I won't go into detail, but he actually crossed the line a couple of times and got in trouble.

Regardless, I was happy to see him fall flat on his face at FSU. Serves him right.

Aug 19, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Saban nails it. ]

Like he is going to be given the time to recruit "nice" guys before talent...LOL...

This was a very interesting read from top to bottom

Aug 18, 2020, 3:02 PM

The replies were also very informative or shared some well thought opinions. I wish this board was like this all the time and I really appreciate an outsider with solid insight sharing on our board.

Aug 18, 2020, 6:09 PM

Well said!

It also requires money. A lot of it, for frequent testing,

Aug 18, 2020, 6:45 PM

cleaning and disinfecting, medical staff, the utilization of more space for players and staff to spread into, etc.

I would think that every Power 5 program and a fair number of G5 schools can afford to provide this, and should. IMO these major conference programs owe it to the players to do so.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2020, 7:24 PM

Norvell is light years better than Taggart, he will have them striving to follow protocol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Well said. I agree 100%.

Aug 18, 2020, 7:44 PM

The irony here is that we are expecting players to be responsible and make sacrifices because they are committed to the team, yet many adults in our society have done a crappy jobs of that themselves.

Just think how much better shape we would be in right now, as a country, if most people had made sacrifices for the greater good. Things like wearing a mask consistently, practicing social distancing, etc.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic