Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down please'"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 904

"I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down please'"

Jun 26, 2020, 10:17 AM

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/24/883154244/trump-administration-moving-to-close-federally-funded-covid-testing-sites

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was just kidding...***

Jun 26, 2020, 10:21 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hadn't seen the quote, so I looked it up and watched it.

Jun 26, 2020, 10:38 AM

He was indeed kidding. Not a Trump supporter, but on that issue, yes he was kidding.

He did have a point, in that any uptick in cases causes screaming and politically motivated headlines that the sky is falling,, and you have to dig for yourself to find how much of an uptick is caused by testing. Journalism.

Wish we could test 330 million people instantly, so we could establish what we know but wont' face, that the fatality rate of people under 60 is quite low, and for people under 50 not much of a worry. If masks are good, and if the fatality rate under 60 is low, you have to be < 60 to get into Death Valley and you have to have a mask. Play on. Why not? Actually, if masks are good, should make it < 70.

If testing and its results (science!) and masks are the thing, on what grounds would one cancel a football season?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t ruin their fun

Jun 26, 2020, 10:44 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Compared to Trump...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:11 PM

a rock is mentally competent.

When asked about it he said, "I don't kid."

Jun 26, 2020, 10:52 AM [ in reply to I hadn't seen the quote, so I looked it up and watched it. ]

And they are literally slowing down the testing, so that would be a weird joke. Maybe he's kidding about running for reelection, too, but he is literally running for reelection.

I never thought I'd say this, but we need Nikki Haley to

Jun 26, 2020, 10:57 AM

come and save this thing.

Trump was funny for a while, but it's a just a big train wreck now.

This is just one more thing for y’all to have your

Jun 26, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to When asked about it he said, "I don't kid." ]

He can't reduce testing?

Jun 26, 2020, 11:38 AM

Did you notice the part where the thread began with an article about closing federally funded testing sites?

My hair's not on fire. This is pretty cut and dry. More testing means more confirmed cases, which looks bad for Trump, so he's reducing testing as much as he can.

Re: He can't reduce testing?

Jun 26, 2020, 11:47 AM

Ted Cruz disagrees with you.

Jun 26, 2020, 1:27 PM

And it's not just NPR thinking it's newsworthy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-house-plan-cut-federal-funding-coronavirus-testing-sites-pushback

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

This surprises me...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to He can't reduce testing? ]

You don’t typically make these jumps.

The article says the reasoning is that it is more efficient to do the testing locally.

I watched the CSPAN video that you posted the other day where he said, “I don’t kid” A few things there...firat, I don’t know who the reporter that asked the question is, but the reality is (whether right or wrong) he has disdain for several reporters and IHeartRadio appears to often respond defensively to those reporters with really listening to the question.

Second, in that video, he seems to be more concerned about defending his record on COVID response than addressing specific questions. He almost starts talking as soon as he hears, “we’re you joking when....”

Third, it is quite possible he didn’t hear the question perfectly. You acknowledged and I agree that it was very hard to hear any of it because of the helicopter noise.

Trump often says sarcastic and outlandish things. Only those who truly believe he should be in a straight jacket take everything he says literally. As someone who is very critical of his tone and use of words, it is fairly easy to tell when he is speaking for effect and to get a rise out of people. Doesn’t condone any of it, but Trump does not want to slow down testing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The article does say the rationale is different.

Jun 26, 2020, 1:36 PM

Can you imagine if they admitted they were reducing testing because Trump wanted the number of positive results to go down? Their job is to provide a fig leaf for all the crazy #### he tells them to do.

I see you've taken over for 1988

Jun 26, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to This surprises me... ]

in breaking down and telling us what Trump MEANT

Once again though, HE'S THE GOD #### PRESIDENT DURING A PANDEMIC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

To be honest...

Jun 26, 2020, 1:45 PM

his voice sounded sarcastic when he said it. But then when I saw this morning that they were actually cutting test sites around the country, it reminded me that Trump is far more deliberate in his message and delivery than a lot of people give him credit for.

Also, I don't think you can even begin to pain franc as a CT1988. He's just telling you what his impression was based on tone of voice and context.

CT1988 will cook up an entire backstory to support his insistence that the President had oatmeal that morning even though the President said he had eggs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well dadgummit,

Jun 26, 2020, 1:45 PM [ in reply to I see you've taken over for 1988 ]

Let me step back and accept your interpretation

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shoot,

Jun 26, 2020, 1:49 PM

I thought the heat was off me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I watched the comment. Believe what you want.***

Jun 26, 2020, 11:19 PM [ in reply to When asked about it he said, "I don't kid." ]

He’s blamed increase testing for increasing numbers

Jun 26, 2020, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I hadn't seen the quote, so I looked it up and watched it. ]

Repeatedly. Then he said he told his people to slow down testing. Then his people said he was kidding. Then he said he wasn’t kidding. Then his administration announced they were going to shut down federal test sites. So he is literally doing the thing that everyone says he was just kidding about when he said to do it.

This discussion is a dead end street...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:36 PM

Everybody’s interpretation is clouded by their bias, including mine.

“Blame” vs “claim” speaks volumes on personal bias.

We have more positive tests because there are more tests? Seems like a true statement. Do I “blame” the sun that it’s hot outside?

At least in SC the DHEC folks were saying that not only

Jun 26, 2020, 12:48 PM

are we testing more, the percentage of positive results is rising as well. However, I should not have said blame since I'm not even arguing about that. I'm arguing about the idea that he was kidding when he said he wanted less testing given that he said he wasn't kidding and in fact, they are now closing some federal test sites. Maybe they are all unnecessary and this won't slow testing down in any way. And maybe William Barr is completely apolitical and not protecting Trump.

Fair enough...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:56 PM

We will have to disagree. Has nothing to do with what I think of Trump personally. Of all the stupid things he has said and continues to say, this is a non-issue for me.

The only time I get defensive is when I feel something is being blown out of proportion for political gain. This fits that for me.

I don't really care about the statement...

Jun 26, 2020, 1:24 PM

honestly, half (LOL more like 80%) of the time when I argue on here it's because someone has overstated something. Like the NASCAR thing. Looked like a noose to me, and I didn't see others that looked as much like a noose. But one side says it's racist conspiracy and the other says its deliberately made up ########. I think most likely it's a rope that someone tied to look more like a noose, probably because people do weird #### sometimes for no reason. And it ended up in Wallace's stall by complete accident. And because tensions were high anyway and his crew was probably told to look out for weird stuff they pointed it out to NASCAR who reacted in a way to show maximum support for their driver.

But no, there has to be a bad guy, so we take sides about who the bad guy is.

Still though, just for purposes of sticking with the subject a little, Trump is a bad guy. He's not always THE bad guy, but I'm pretty comfortable saying he's not a good dude.

Believe it or not, I appreciate it.

Jun 26, 2020, 1:36 PM

I don’t want to be an ignorant partisan.

The noose picture made me really rethink my opinion of the whole thing. Although accounts say that it was already there, it really makes me think about the chances of that being the only “noose” knot in the facility PLUS the probability that Bubba would get that garage.

Hmmmm

How was it different?

Jun 26, 2020, 1:49 PM

These are not the same...

Jun 26, 2020, 1:52 PM

and

Yes

Jun 26, 2020, 1:54 PM

And one has a considerably larger knot***

Jun 26, 2020, 1:55 PM

You can barely even see the knot in the first pic

Jun 26, 2020, 1:58 PM

I don't think the FBI lied...

Jun 26, 2020, 2:04 PM

The FBI said it was not a hate crime because whatever it was, it wasn't directed at Wallace or anyone else.

And if you prefer, look it at the pictures from your original link. The knot is clearly larger in the one from the Wallace stall in November.

I just enlarged the pic

Jun 26, 2020, 2:12 PM

Except I'm not looking for racism...

Jun 26, 2020, 2:26 PM

I'm finding a noose that I don't attribute to racism, but that I find to be perfectly acceptable as a reason someone might react that way if you find it in the stall of the one black driver who is the focal point for banning the confederate flag. I think my post that started this subthread made it pretty clear I didn't think someone put it there for Wallace.

And if you can't see the difference, you are willfully looking the other way to suit your agenda.

Keep in mind, my agenda is that this wasn't ########, but it also wasn't racism, and no one really did anything wrong.

Except, as shown, it clearly was not just in his garage

Jun 26, 2020, 2:53 PM

Because there has to be a bad guy, right?

Jun 26, 2020, 2:57 PM

It can't just be a series of events unfolding, there has to be a bad guy or your brain is too simple to be able to process how to feel about it.

Or he can speak concisely and clearly***

Jun 26, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to This discussion is a dead end street... ]

I like your funny words magic man

Why would a President kid about this?***

Jun 26, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to I hadn't seen the quote, so I looked it up and watched it. ]

“We are going to win so much, you are going to get tired...

Jun 26, 2020, 12:38 PM

of winning”

Does anybody get tired of winning?

It wasn’t a joke as in “ha ha” joke. It was sarcasm.

Why would a President be sarcastic about this topic?***

Jun 26, 2020, 12:42 PM

Are you even familiar with the context of the statement?

Jun 26, 2020, 12:46 PM

And this is Trump. He also says “Kung Flu?”

I’m not arguing the appropriateness of his statements. This whole thing is being blown out of proportion

Re: Are you even familiar with the context of the statement?

Jun 26, 2020, 12:49 PM

Remember when everyone liberal on here

Jun 26, 2020, 1:32 PM

defended Tlaib by saying she was just kidding?

Actually, I'm not sure I remember anyone defending her at all.

OK.***

Jun 26, 2020, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Are you even familiar with the context of the statement? ]

Re: Are you even familiar with the context of the statement?

Jun 26, 2020, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Are you even familiar with the context of the statement? ]

All the President of the United States is doing is sending a few sarcastic messages here and there about things like medical testing. During a worldwide pandemic like nothing we've had in our lifetimes that has killed a 6-figure number of people.

WHY IS EVERYONE MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Because that’s the only prayer Biden has

Jun 26, 2020, 1:33 PM

I’m finding it hard to understand how...

Jun 26, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you even familiar with the context of the statement? ]

This particular statement is minimizing or downplaying the pandemic. That is what we’re saying the problem with it is?

Not trying to obtuse here. I don’t think anybody in his audience, in person or on TV, believed he was going to reduce testing.

If you want to talk about the appropriateness of when he purposefully pauses and emphasizes “Kung Flu” or China virus,” I could probably go there.

Re: I’m finding it hard to understand how...

Jun 26, 2020, 1:59 PM

I'm saying that it should be crazy to think that we'd ever end up debating whether the President of the United States was joking about reducing testing just after the President closed testing centers during a deadly pandemic.

This is not a situation that calls for a President who says and does things that his aides say "he was just kidding" about.

- Jonathan Swift

Isn't the most likely scenario based on what we know of him,

Jun 26, 2020, 2:03 PM

That he actually did say something like that to "his people," that "his people" didn't take it seriously, and that he doesn't have the filter that would make him think "maybe I shouldn't say this in a rally"?

Seems likely to me.

Jun 26, 2020, 2:33 PM

In case I was unclear, my responses are about whether it's reasonable to make a big deal over a president acting like this during a global pandemic.

- Jonathan Swift

and that isn't scary to you?***

Jun 26, 2020, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Isn't the most likely scenario based on what we know of him, ]

Re: and that isn't scary to you?***

Jun 26, 2020, 3:32 PM

ok.***

Jun 26, 2020, 3:42 PM

Re: "I said to my people, 'Slow the testing down please'"

Jun 26, 2020, 11:31 AM

smart move

the further down that you can test the more efficient and more accountability

winning

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's such a moron***

Jun 26, 2020, 3:33 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 904
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic