Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not a good article by David Hale.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Not a good article by David Hale.

Jan 3, 2021, 9:55 PM

2 years ago we were had surpassed Bama level per him and ESPN, and 2 more ACC championships and 2 CFP losses and now we have to change or be left in the dust... article below. TL/DR Oh No We Suck Again...

A day before Clemson took the field in what ultimately became its final game of a tumultuous season, Dabo Swinney tried to explain how his team fought to get to that point.

The Tigers reached another College Football Playoff semifinal after players pushed for social justice reform and to play through a pandemic. They withstood their first regular-season loss in years after star quarterback Trevor Lawrence was sidelined by COVID-19 at the worst possible time. And Swinney's team, once viewed as college football's plucky upstarts, had suddenly become the villain in the eyes of many fans and commentators.

Heading into the Sugar Bowl against Ohio State, Swinney explained what he believed was the key to the program's six straight playoff appearance: "We've just tried to find ways to find joy in the journey."

There wasn't much to enjoy after the Buckeyes' convincing 49-28 victory against the favored Tigers on the field of the Mercedes Benz Superdome -- now, officially, Clemson's own house of horrors. Inside the locker room, a veteran team was hurting, Swinney said. He loved this team like none before it, a point he repeated throughout the run up to the Sugar Bowl. Swinney reiterated how he had coached some great teams, but none like this one. It's not hard to believe; when the pandemic turned the sports world on its head, Clemson closed ranks and inevitably made this a particularly tight-knit group.

Now, the Tigers had reached the end of the line.

Swinney fell back on his innate ability to find a silver lining in even the darkest of moments. From the pandemic protocols to social injustice to overall player empowerment, it is in the coach's DNA to be an optimist.

So, he tried again to find something good to point to after Clemson's second-straight blowout loss in the College Football Playoff.

"We are 10-2," Swinney said. "A lot of people didn't think we would even play."

It was the best Swinney could do: Clemson was 10-2. It was better than nothing.

Clemson's loss was the program's latest inflection point since Deshaun Watson first carried the Tigers past rival South Carolina on a torn ACL in 2014 and pivoted the program toward elite status in the ACC. Friday's loss, however, looks like the start of a path into the unknown.

It was the final chapter for Lawrence and star running back Travis Etienne, two of the best to ever put on the Clemson uniform; it was another measuring stick against the best of the best in which Clemson came up short; it was a loss that broke the hearts of Clemson fans, but came with an outpouring of schadenfreude from rival fans, thrilled to see Swinney get his comeuppance.

After this season's letdown of an ending, one big question looms for Clemson for the first time in a long time: Where do the Tigers go from here?

How much is Swinney willing to change?

After the Sugar Bowl, Swinney talked extensively about how much his team was forced to endure this season, but when asked what he'd personally learned from the experience, he didn't detour much from his standard optimistic self.

"Well," Swinney said with a laugh, "I learned what Zoom was."

College football has changed; but, beyond getting a bit more tech savvy, Swinney has not. Throughout the season, he has lashed out (hello, Florida State) and remained steadfast in his convictions, even if it meant slighting his College Football Playoff opponent on his USA Today Coaches Poll ballot and providing a week's worth of bulletin-board fodder in the process.

In the aftermath of his loss to those 11th-ranked (per Swinney) Buckeyes, Swinney's unwavering -- um, Dabo-ness? -- now seemed like a massive liability, despite it once being the epitome of what modern coaches hoped to convey to recruits, fans and media.

When COVID-19 first shut down most sports across the world, Swinney offered a rosy outlook, saying his team had adopted another of his trademarked acronyms: "T.I.G.E.R.S." -- "This Is Gonna End Real Soon." The mantra initially led to criticism that the Clemson coach wasn't taking the pandemic seriously, and later gave Ohio State source material to turn the tables on Swinney via social media:

Swinney has also received blowback for similarly naive, misguided or misunderstood comments on issues like player compensation and Black Lives Matter. Clemson tailback Darien Rencher said some of the criticism is fair, while adding that some are outsiders who misunderstood Swinney's approach or ignored the environment he created that gave Rencher, Lawrence, Cornell Powell and Mike Jones Jr. the platform to speak out on some of those same issues.

"He's gonna say some things that people don't agree with and do some things that are wrong," Rencher said earlier this season. "But his track record, that's what you can say about a person. Look at what he's built. He built a program to empower football players and to make them more than just football players. I think you've seen that this year. We would not be doing things we've done on and off the field if it wasn't for the program and the culture he's built to support us."

Swinney has labeled himself "a traditionalist." It's why he said he didn't like the stickers that supported social justice reform being added to Clemson's helmets. Nothing against the message, he said, but he wasn't a fan of the uniform changes. It's why he's against paying players, expanding the playoff and any other issues in which wider perceptions have shifted to a more progressive take. Swinney has remained entrenched in his beliefs and his critics will argue his traditionalist approach continues to alter his image -- from a quotable overachiever, to self-serving power broker who is out of touch with the real world.

But perhaps the most pertinent on-field point for Swinney to consider in the near term: Ohio State beat Clemson on the strength of two transfers, Justin Fields and Trey Sermon. Swinney has refused to enter the transfer market and said this season that while he might be forced to change his outlook, he would do so reluctantly.

Clemson's 2021 recruiting class is shaping up as one of Swinney's best, so any off-field distractions have not altered prospects' enthusiasm. But Swinney's long-term take on key issues -- from unionization to the transfer portal -- will continue to be tested.

Can the Tigers build an elite offensive line?

Clemson was a preseason favorite because of Lawrence and Etienne, but what was lost amid the superstars was a nearly complete overhaul in the trenches. In the end, the new-look O-line wasn't up to the task.

Etienne's surprising return hardly went as planned. While he blossomed as a receiver out of the backfield, he often found a brick wall at the line of scrimmage, finishing the season averaging just 5.4 yards per rush -- more than two yards below his career average. It was hard to blame Etienne. In 2018, when he was the ACC's player of the year and Clemson won a national championship, Etienne averaged 4.4 yards before contact. In 2020, he averaged just 2. In each of Clemson's losses -- against Notre Dame in November and Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl -- the Tigers were dominated at the line of scrimmage. Etienne's rushing totals in the two games combined: 28 carries, 60 yards.

The issues were possibly the result of so much transition, with four new starters on the line. But it's also worth noting that only two O-linemen from this recent Clemson run were drafted last year (John Simpson in the fourth round and Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh), while just two others have been drafted during Swinney's tenure, one of whom came in the NFL's supplemental draft. Meanwhile, former five-star recruit Mitch Hyatt went undrafted, and current recruiting prodigy Jackson Carman has been inconsistent at left tackle.

If Clemson's goal is to win at the highest level, this area stands out as a genuine and consistent shortcoming. During this six-year playoff run, the Tigers have rushed for just 84 yards per game against top-10 opponents and 174 per game against everyone else.

"They absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage," Swinney said of Ohio State's performance Friday. "You can't win games like that."

How does Clemson replace two legends?

Talent comes along every year at a program like Clemson, but Lawrence and Etienne earned different distinctions over their collegiate careers. They are "generational talents."

Swinney called Lawrence "the greatest winner I've ever been around." Etienne is unquestionably the best tailback in the ACC's history. Both players commanded an immense amount of respect in the locker room.

Players come and go, but the point of a "generational talent" is it comes around just once in a generation. Swinney and the Tigers have already proved that rule may not apply at Clemson -- Lawrence took the baton from Deshaun Watson, and the D-line lineage (from Vic Beasley to Christian Wilkins to Myles Murphy and Bryan Bresee) is as solid as Howard's Rock.

Still, the expected departure of Clemson's two greatest players ever certainly marks the end of an era, and it's an open question whether 2021 will officially begin a new one.

D.J. Uiagalelei subbed in for Lawrence for two games this past season as the star QB recovered from COVID-19. It was an auspicious sneak peek into the future. Uiagalelei looked terrific in a comeback win against Boston College and an overtime loss to Notre Dame in which he threw for more yards than any opponent in the rich history of the Irish program.

Clemson's 2021 signing class includes running back Will Shipley, a five-star stud ranked 21st overall in the class by ESPN. He'll join Lyn-J Dixon, already accomplished in a backup role.

If one thing is certain at Clemson, there will be no shortage of incoming talent.

How does Brent Venables adjust?

No coordinator in college football is as accomplished as Venables, the longtime defensive guru for a Clemson program whose defenses are routinely among the best in the country.

No one doubts Venables' pedigree or ability to adjust, but here are numbers he's not going to ignore: 49, 47 and 42. Those are the point totals Clemson surrendered in its last three losses. From 2014 through the end of the 2019 regular season, Clemson's defense allowed 500 yards or more just three times. In the Tigers past 16 games, it's happened four times.

Ohio State exposed Clemson's secondary downfield, Sermon rumbled through tacklers in the Tigers' linebacking corps, and the defensive front got virtually no pressure on Fields. Most shocking of all was how consistently Venables' defense looked confused and out of position.

There are few coaches more intense, prepared and willing to adapt than Venables. What he does with this defense moving forward might still be his biggest challenge.

How will Clemson's season be remembered?

Some of the things Clemson's players accomplished will never be accounted for in the standings. Years from now, the impact Lawrence, Rencher and others had on player empowerment might be seen in the form of a players' union, genuine compensation and a more equitable landscape in the sport.

But, right now, it's hard to get past the sting of Friday's loss to Ohio State.

"Obviously [this game] didn't go well, but I know that the way I prepared, the way this team prepared, and then just this whole year, the way we've carried ourselves, I'm proud of it," Lawrence said. "I don't have any regrets. There's not much I'd go back and change."

Lawrence is a Heisman finalist, but odds are against him winning it. Clemson will say goodbye to a second once-in-a-lifetime QB within the past seven years with neither landing the sport's most prestigious award. Etienne will go down as the best back in Clemson history, rewriting the record books at Clemson and in the ACC. But he also played three games back in his home state of Louisiana, all in the College Football Playoff and all losses. He won't be remembered for that, but he will certainly be haunted by it.

The majority of Clemson's 2020 stars -- Lawrence, Etienne, Powell, James Skalski, Nolan Turner -- have championship rings from seasons past, but will remember 2020 as a quest left unfinished. This wasn't Clemson's best team, but it might have been its most impactful one, particularly off the field. Because of that, what awaits might be far different than what it would've been without them.

"The ripple effects at other schools, that was the coolest part for me," Rencher said. "To have other guys reach out and want to do what we did ... that's been the coolest moment for me to see us stepping up in a way that kind of led to other people stepping up. It's a domino effect."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30638097/where-do-dabo-swinney-clemson-go-here-well-rely-talent-alone

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mostly true, but with some negative spin.

Jan 3, 2021, 10:27 PM

Dabo has been an easy target in the last yr or two. Our O-line has been suspect and not up to rest of team this yr. D has been exposed a couple times.

This year showed "We Ain't Too Deep"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We also didn’t have our OC to call plays

Jan 3, 2021, 10:32 PM

I’m not saying we would have won, but the article doesn’t even mention TE out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, super knee jerk

Jan 3, 2021, 10:42 PM

and not a lot of added context, which is needed.

I thought the No. 11 thing was idiotic and a tipping point. Sometimes optics is everything. It looked smug and was smug and the program is now paying the price of him being “that guy”.

Moving on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. The ballot should have been left blank.

Jan 4, 2021, 6:09 AM

Some things that need to be said dont have to be said at the moment. However, as Smiling said below, it was a tempest in a teapot. We just ran into a better prepared and more motivated team.

Was watching the highlights, not an easy thing to do, and after a few days some things look even worse. They send a tight end into the end zone who just turns around and stands there. Our #1 was standing right beside him, shoulder to shoulder. Fields throws him an ordinary pass at chest level ... and #1 seems to watch him catch it. I know I'm not saying anything we didnt all see. And I'm not throwing down on #1, who has played well. We just showed up with that mindset, it seems.

We could talk for days about why that was, I guess.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true. The loss give media a clean shot to point out

Jan 3, 2021, 10:44 PM [ in reply to We also didn’t have our OC to call plays ]

Dabo's perceived narrow-mindedness, and our various weak spots in recent years. Clearly we weren't quite as complete this year. I can stand the pundits taking their shots while we're down, as we finish 3rd in a down year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True, also we have become like any dominating team...

Jan 3, 2021, 10:56 PM

Fans of other teams are tired of us winning so a big loss by us makes it easy to write clickbait. They did the same thing to Bama 2 years ago when we dominated them in Cali.

He, and all other dimwits need to get off of the #11 ranking

Jan 3, 2021, 11:37 PM

narrative. Dabo ranked them honestly, where he thought they belonged. He's not supposed to consider how his vote may affect a given team's attitude as a future opponent, and adjust his ranking accordingly. And remember, the #11 ranking, as he has explained, did not necessarily reflect how good he thought Ohio State was, as he stated that Ohio State was good enough to beat Clemson or anybody else, but he just thought that there were teams who had put in the work and sacrifice to play 11 games instead of 6 that deserved to be ranked higher. The #11 ranking was not a slight, not a dig, not a slap in the face, even though it was inevitably spun that way; it was an honest vote based on the truth, and that's not good enough for a lot of people.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree that the ranking was a minor part of the game. Good

Jan 4, 2021, 5:57 AM

comments about that.

Just to comment on the Hale article though, that does leave Clemson out prepared and out motivated by a significant margin for some reason. Whether that was one game, or something about the two programs, is what sports writers write about and have always written about. Alabama and Saban got to read about how Clemson had supplanted them at the top. So, we get to read this. We'll see what happens now.

I agree with Hale that Dabo's "We're 10 - 2" and "I love this team more than any other" address questions no one was asking, and that those questions are more difficult than simply why we lost one game. Open that door, people will talk about it. Dabo did say "We got whipped", to his credit, and maybe it needed to end there, whatever someone asks him.

I will say again that I think the 2021 team is going to be a lot better than this one. And if its not, this program is everything I love about Clemson. I'm in. I love everything about what Clemson and this program is.

But if the subject is getting back to the championship game, this team didnt merely lose a playoff game: it was not prepared to play at that level and wasn't at any time in the year. Why that was, and why 2021 can be different, is a different subject, and a fun one. But while I disagree with some of Hale's comments - talking about Venables is silly - he's not being unfair.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yup, exactly.....the questions are

Jan 4, 2021, 8:23 AM

why do our lines consistently underperform and why did our D look like a peewee team trying out a new system in their first scrimmage? The answers to that don't involve love and grade point averages.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got no problem with that article. Basically, sounds like

Jan 4, 2021, 8:15 AM

He’s been reading thought provoking Lounge threads this year:

- Dabo needs to shut the hell up sometimes
- Our O-Line was crap this year
- Our secondary was crap this year.

Any team with a pulse exposed the last two. ND and OSU were just the two teams talented enough to take full advantage fit.

This year we were a soft team on both sides of the ball. We just recruited enough skill players to mask it it for the most part.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good take. This is now far enough down that page that mabye

Jan 4, 2021, 2:08 PM

I won't get blasted too much for this, but your 'soft' comment brings something to mind.

I think Dabo let the team lose focus. While most teams had some BLM message, some got deeper into than others, and Clemson seemed deeper than most. What I remember about Alabama, for instance, is that they had one march, Saban was there, and that was the end of it. No messages on uniforms, not a lot of mic time, etc. Saban went back to doing what he's paid to do. In that sense, Saban, for all his my-way-or-the-highway, is humble. He does one thing.

We were, instead, all about BLM for a while. Rencher was apparently the voice of it, and for the first half of the season he was the second on the field after ETN, a position that doesn't seem to be his by athletic measure. So, somewhere, it looks from the outside that the cart got ahead of the horse.

I have no qualms about any person, or player or anyone, taking whatever stand they want. But if you're a lawyer you don't go into court waving a political banner. If you're a CPA you don't hang a BLM banner in your KPMG lobby. Compartmentalism of purpose is a great thing, and when the cars hit the parking they all needed to be about football, and they weren't. From Dabo on down they considered themselves to be societal voices, including messaging on uniforms on game day. Anyone knowing that Team A did that, and that Team B didn't, would predict Team B to be a better team.

Did that lead to the softness you noticed? I hope not. Because if that was the basis for it, getting the focus back will not be easy. If the mindset changed, getting it turned back around will be as difficult as establishing it in the first place, except he wont be starting from neutral.

I'd say if anything he held back. It seems like around CU,

Jan 4, 2021, 8:21 AM

too many honest articles like that will have coach Don Munson meeting you at the front door and telling you they can't find your pass for the press conference. Good for DH for writing it instead of another fluff piece.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think that anything that happened this season means

Jan 4, 2021, 9:54 AM

much in the grand scheme of things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic