Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Having fouls to give.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,153

Having fouls to give.

Dec 16, 2017, 10:39 PM

With about 7 seconds left between game clock and shot clock why did we foul twice making the shot clock go back to 20 every time. Uf could have taken the clock down and had the last shot when we would have had 7 seconds if we never had fould and they score late in the shot clock. Glad it all worked out. Just wondering. I understand if it was keeping them from for sure getting to the basket on a drive but it wasn't.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Having fouls to give.

Dec 16, 2017, 10:57 PM

I wondered the same thing.

Dec 16, 2017, 11:09 PM

You force a team to restart their offense with less time on the clock after each foul. Obviously when it’s a one possession game you’re betting heavily on your defense, but with less time to operate their offense becomes easier to defend.

Dec 16, 2017, 11:30 PM

In theory yes, but didn't really happen today. One of our fouls actually caused us to have to potentially guard for more time. There were 15 seconds on shot clock. We fouled. Shot clock goes to 20. Fouling there was stupid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.mtv.com/onair/two_a_days/assets/season_2/images/flipbooks/episodes/finale/fb_10.jpg

Dec 17, 2017, 12:48 AM

The point he made about restarting the offense is key. At that point, we weren't concerned about time. We knew we needed one stop. With Florida coming out of a timeout, they had a play set up for the specific inbounds situation and time that they had. Fouling forces them to (1) throw the ball in again, which can be difficult at times (especially since they had no more timeouts) and (2) re-start their set, potentially from a different spot on the floor, which can take up time or bring a less-preferred offensive player into play. It also allows our coaches to see their set and provide instructions on-the-fly during the dead ball periods while we're waiting for their throw in. We obviously wouldn't call timeout there (providing them a chance to draw up a different play), but there is still instructional opportunity.

Ultimately, to answer your concern, we needed one stop either way. When they inbounded the ball and got it back to the front court, there was, once again, approximately 15 seconds left on the shot clock...so there really wasn't a huge disadvantage put on us for fouling. And with the benefits listed above, the positives likely outweigh that small potential negative.

Dec 17, 2017, 8:55 AM

So you're saying Brownlee actually may know what he's doing?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Dec 17, 2017, 9:01 AM

He does but sometimes our boys do not listen to him. I understand fouling to put our D in a good situation but UF could have took the last shot where as if we did not foul twice we would have had 7 seconds left if they waited until the end of the shot clock. It worked though so give BB credit. We came back from down double digits twice and he has a lot to do with that.

Dec 17, 2017, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Having fouls to give. ]

Don't know about that guy but Coach Brownell did a good job last night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2017, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Having fouls to give. ]

we all know how difficult it can be to inbound the ball..;) just never seems to be that difficult for everyone else ! As for the thread topic, I think its a judgement call. Could argue either way

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2017, 12:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Having fouls to give. ]

Wondered if it was in case they made a shot and we missed we couldnt foul and send them to the line. That was my thinking.

Dec 17, 2017, 8:26 AM

We bet on our defense. About as simple as that.

Dec 17, 2017, 8:31 AM

Yes and it worked I would have just liked to have the sure 7 seconds if they had scored. I understand it messes their flow up and the first foul the UF player did have ours beat it looked like.

Dec 17, 2017, 12:06 PM

the first foul - Skara fouled (Hudson, i think) was a good one.. fouled him before he could get into any kind of scoring position

the next one, by Grantham, maybe came a bit too quickly.

i'm with you... make a foul to keep anyone from driving or getting up a shot, but not sure that second foul was a good one to use

Dec 18, 2017, 12:43 AM

I think it's much simpler. If they hit the shot we still have 7 seconds left, at least, to try and win the game with the ball.

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,153
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic