Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Backpack Problem Confessional
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Backpack Problem Confessional

Jan 11, 2019, 1:56 PM

I have way too many and keep purchasing them. I have a problem.

Just snagged this one for my next trip.
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/vanir-backpack-67185

I also snagged the duffel that will convert to a backpack. Pretty sweet.

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/hh-classic-duffel-bag-l-67169-1?color=594537

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find myself giving away old stuff when I buy new stuff

Jan 11, 2019, 2:00 PM

like this

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 1992, while in high school, I got one of these backpacks

Jan 11, 2019, 2:05 PM

It's a JanSport World Traveler

It's basically a duffel bag, backpack, overnight bag combination. It had a handle to be carried like a duffel bag, and straps where you could carry it like a backpack. Mine is all black, but otherwise identical to the pic. I used this bag as my default overnight bag/trip bag for 25 freaking years. It has literally traveled the entire world. It finally ripped last year. I have scoured the Internets and have not been able to find anything similar. The things are selling used for like $100. They last forever.

You seem to be looking at similar stuff. Got any ideas on where to find something VERY similar? JanSport doesn't make them anymore. #########.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mrs. Tig bought a Jansport bag around that same era that she

Jan 11, 2019, 3:03 PM

still uses today. She's carried that all over the world and it is still holding up, but you can tell it's wearing in spots and could fail at any time now. It's been an incredible bag and even though it might be slightly larger than carry-on size, she's never been turned away on domestic or international flights. When my bag started falling apart and I started looking for something similar to hers, I found this one but have not pulled the trigger yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHsFOGD4uTM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bought a Jansport from Judge Kellers in 1985. still have it

Jan 11, 2019, 3:10 PM

They told me it was guaranteed for life. It has a small rip. wonder if they would fix it?

Bet they would.

Yeah, I heard that too. Maybe worth a shot

Jan 11, 2019, 3:19 PM

But it's in such bad shape who knows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too small. That's no bigger than my HS backpack***

Jan 11, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Mrs. Tig bought a Jansport bag around that same era that she ]

Re: In 1992, while in high school, I got one of these backpacks

Jan 11, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to In 1992, while in high school, I got one of these backpacks ]

I love Patagonia packs and they have some like that, which I seen at REI. Just expensive, but they last. Patagonia amd HH seem to have the best quality for the $. North Face packs constantly rip and tear from my experience. But with my travel for work, I really put them through the paces.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That JanSport lasted. It was expensive at the time

Jan 11, 2019, 4:51 PM

But I'd pay $200 for one today just like it. Same for the Tevas I bought in high school about the same time. They were expensive. Still wearing them today.

People will pay for quality. That's something lost today in many areas. Stuff is cheap, and quality comes in second to profit.

What really gets me is when you buy a new product, like a whole new kind of product, like a Keurig, for example. Or a garage door opener. Or a tankless water heater. You name it. If you bought that product the first year it came out, you may have struck paydirt. I bet there are more refrigerators still running today form the 1930's and 1940's, than from the 1970's. My parents had a Sears garage door opener installed in 1978. First year they came out. Lasted 28 years. Today no garage door lasts more than 10-15 years. I can go on and on. But after a successful product comes out and they're popular, the manufacturer instead of making more and more of them exactly the same way, ALWAYS decide to make them cheaper and cut whatever corners they can to churn out more for less costs to improve profits. Take the microfiber khakis I buy from Sam's. When they first came out I bought a ton of them. That was 10+ years ago. Still wearing them today. I've replaced a few pairs and they're already falling apart after less than a year.

Have to admit, I saw back and problem

Jan 11, 2019, 2:24 PM

and thought of this

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

and now I'm moist again

Jan 11, 2019, 2:55 PM

I think my first CONFESSION TIME poast was a soul cleansing admittance of my backpack problem affinity

Dis you bro?

Jan 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X6b19ukfTA

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic