Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nest Smoke Detectors
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Nest Smoke Detectors

Dec 3, 2019, 9:58 AM

Well, one of Greenr's smoke detectors went NUTS on Sunday evening making the kids and dogs batshit crazy. I think I need to replace it even though it is good until 2024. There are 7 smoke detectors in the house, and all are hard-wired. I am thinking of replacing one (or maybe 2) with the Nest version.
Do any of you guys have experience with them?

Also, can you hardwire a Nest detector to a system that has all First Alert alarms?

H8nusc®

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have five in the house

Dec 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

All battery powered. Have worked like a charm so far. I love the pathway lighting they provide in the hallways where I have them and the safety check they do every night. They do a test each month and let you know if there are any errors (havent had one yet).

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

What brand are these - I have five in the house***

Dec 3, 2019, 11:02 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cannot answer the wiring question, but my son went with

Dec 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

Nest because you can set it to not do the irritating noise when battery is low. He dog went crazy also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, because Google isn't into enough of my life as it is

Dec 3, 2019, 10:09 AM

My alarm system uses Z wave so I just bought First alert CO/Smoke alarm combos that were Z wave compatible. Added them to the system easily.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard the First Alert z wave were buggy sometimes***

Dec 3, 2019, 10:13 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty seamless so far.

Dec 3, 2019, 10:15 AM

Hopefully it won't take my house burning down to test their mettle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well this is good to know

Dec 3, 2019, 10:24 AM

AFTER the fact. Had to buy one for each bedroom when the bathroom got renovated. Fire safety is apparently something that needs to be brought to code for all reno projects.

which juans? I'd prefer to stick w/ zwave thangs instead of

Dec 3, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to yes, because Google isn't into enough of my life as it is ]

WiFi if possible....

right here, and I wish I'd found this deal......

Dec 3, 2019, 10:26 AM

I paid about $45 each.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?q=first+alert+z-wave+smoke/co+alarm&prds=epd:11567212692422066815,prmr:3,pid:11567212692422066815,tpim:CN_J7cjFo6WPggEQg8eTxd_Z3vZbGPCZkiYiA1VTRCiA48DvBTDrmt47,pdprs:5&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&utm_campaign=125275499&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Nqu0uSZ5gIVSrzACh0yRwrmEAQYASABEgKrpfD_BwE

no butt been wanting to make the switch

Dec 3, 2019, 10:14 AM

got 9 f'n smoke detectors in the house....there's (4) within 10ft of each other in the basement. WTpH?

anyhoo...Costco has a 2-pack for $169 thru tomorrow which is by far the best price I've seen per unit (lol, unit)

however, they're currently backordered.

I DID just pick up a Nest Hello Doorbell from Home Depot. There was a bit of an 'error' on their part that I took advantage of....they were running a deal thru the 27th, when you bought the Nest Hello, you got a free Nest Hub smart display....the Nest Hello is usually $229, but they dropped the price down to Black Friday price a day early....which also happened to be the 27th, the last day that the deal was active.

So, got the doorbell and (another) Nest Hub for $149 totes, FTW.

All that said, I've already got the Nest app going for the thermostats...wasn't sold on the doorbell, but at that price I figured I'd buy it and continue to think about it....but it seems like I'll be B's deep in the Nest side of things, so I may go ahead and upgrade a couple of the smoke detectors...

/csb

Yeah, I've got the Thermo and want to grab the Hub

Dec 3, 2019, 10:18 AM

so it all makes sense to get everything and then give my life to Google.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just get the $10 one from walmart and let it ride***

Dec 3, 2019, 10:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Have 6 smoke alarms (battery), 4 cameras and 3 thermostats.

Dec 3, 2019, 10:18 AM

All work great with no issues. Nest makes great products from my experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didjew know that Google/Nest is ghana start a 'whole home'

Dec 3, 2019, 10:21 AM

pricing structure for ALL cameras in your houzz, as opposed to 'per camera'....and it's only slightly more than current pricing for one camera...at least, the lower of the 2 subscription tiers is.

That's how Ring already is.

Dec 3, 2019, 10:28 AM

I put in their alarm, doorbell, etc in.

Instead of $3/cam, $10 covers alarm professional monitoring, and all video cloud storage for cams.

yeah, that dumbazz pricing for Nest cams was a turn-off

Dec 3, 2019, 10:30 AM

the new structure helps their cause, I guess, but I don't plan on getting any other Nest cameras, so I guess it doesn't really help me out

Bedroom cameras? Gotta link?***

Dec 3, 2019, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Have 6 smoke alarms (battery), 4 cameras and 3 thermostats. ]

did you mean 'dink'?***

Dec 3, 2019, 10:32 AM

I guess I shouldn't assume***

Dec 3, 2019, 10:37 AM

I'm not sure if you can wire a nest alarm to the home. I believe

Dec 3, 2019, 10:34 AM

They are wirelessly connected to each other. So if you are going to go that route either do the whole home or stick with the regular hard wired. You can purchase sealed lithium wired alarms if you want to eliminate the low battery chirping.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^believe this guy.***

Dec 3, 2019, 10:35 AM

This has a "wired" or "battery" option

Dec 3, 2019, 10:39 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure if you can wire a nest alarm to the home. I believe ]

https://store.google.com/us/config/nest_protect_2nd_gen

it's $2 more to get the 3 pack

Dec 3, 2019, 10:42 AM

that just (3) singles

hth

Wait, what?

Dec 3, 2019, 10:43 AM

I'm confused. SUPERFUCKING Confused. What else would it be?

Which branch of engineering did you specialize in?

Dec 3, 2019, 10:46 AM

I guess I didn't realize there was one that let you avoid the maths.

usually there's a discount for buying in 'bulk', no?

Dec 3, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Wait, what? ]

it's more expensive, per piece, to buy the 3-pack at those listed prices.

you'd be better off adding (3) of the single detectors to your cart than buying the 2 pack

Ohhhhh, I thought you were saying that you have to buy the

Dec 3, 2019, 11:12 AM

multi-pack in order to use multiple ones together in your house like singles wouldn't do that and I was going to call you out. Thank GOD I didn't and instead look like possibly a bigger idiot in front of my best friends.

I believe the wired is just for electrical purposes

Dec 3, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to This has a "wired" or "battery" option ]

They connect to one another through your home wifi.

What else would you want?***

Dec 3, 2019, 11:13 AM

Just not sure there is an added benefit

Dec 3, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to This has a "wired" or "battery" option ]

Unless you are paying for security monitoring. They are pretty sensitive, is one close to your kitchen? I use kidde firex alarms with battery back up and they work fine. I also get them for $8.25 per. Batteries don't need to be changed to often because the power is being supplied by electricity. There will be a small amount of battery usage simply because the battery is engaged.

Why do you even need any?

Dec 3, 2019, 10:45 AM

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'RE SMOKING, YOU DON'T NEED EXPENSIVE TECHNOLOGY TO TELL YOU WHETHER YOUR MARLBORO RED IS LIT OR NOT.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what if he has a stuffy nose?***

Dec 3, 2019, 12:28 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy fix.

Dec 3, 2019, 12:35 PM

He can touch the Marlboro Red to his forearm and see if it's lit, plus it adds an element of punishment to help ease any general self-loathing that he may have.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's Christmas in my house. SMOKE UP JOHNNY!!!***

Dec 3, 2019, 1:09 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic