Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hate to see 70 year old man be so negative in his later yrs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Hate to see 70 year old man be so negative in his later yrs

Oct 11, 2015, 6:55 PM

but Steve Spurrier is sounding so despondant..and even though he's our main in-state rivalries HC, I still repect the man for what he's done in his long college football career..like him or not..and what he did for a school which has had so many HC's fail over a 100 year period of basic futility.

We all know what he did for them..and what other National Championship HC's didn't (Dietzel & Holtz).

Beating teams they never dreamed of beating..like Clemson, Bammer, UGa, Michigan, UT, UF, Mo, etc.

Yep, he's down on his luck in Cola due to a lot of reasons..some his own & some not..and I do very much want to take him up on his earlier invite to come to their house (WillieB) in November..and beat the stuffings out of his Chickens..

But I don't cherish seeing a man that's in my century of life going out on such a sour note..and hope he can still have some victories (except against Clemson of course) before heading out to those great green pastures called Golf Courses.

GoTiGERS..keep Rocking EM!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After watching him up close for years........

Oct 11, 2015, 7:01 PM

here in Florida, his words, actions, behavior and treatment of student-athletes, i can honestly say that I wish him nothing but the worst. His chickens have finally come home to roost!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think Rich people get disraught over anything. At

Oct 11, 2015, 7:18 PM

the end of the day they are still Rich$$$

money doesn't buy happiness***

Oct 11, 2015, 8:09 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh, do you live in America?

Oct 11, 2015, 9:05 PM

Cause it buys a WaveRunner. Have you ever seen a sad person on a WaveRunner? Have you? Seriously, have you? Try to frown on a WaveRunner. You can’t!

sorry i posted this now..Old Mean HC Men Sux!

Oct 11, 2015, 9:10 PM

Ok Steve, I tried but they wouldn't take the bait! Good luck Coot.

LOL & Keep Rocking TiGER TEAM!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ just finished his 5th rum and coke. Now rational.

Oct 11, 2015, 9:25 PM

:) Just joking LbB. But after all the Clemson bashing that coach has done, ya gotta figure none of us harbor any good will towards him. (On the field at least)

Re: Hate to see 70 year old man be so negative in his later yrs

Oct 11, 2015, 7:25 PM

From what little I know, all of his problems are self-inflicted. He seems to be a first class ###.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar

Oct 11, 2015, 7:48 PM

If his goal was to go to bed with ESPN then job well done. But even when the SEC east was total garbage and other teams were in the rebuilding phase he still couldn't bring home a conference title. Plus all he's really done is made more enemies and fueled a bitter gamecock fan base to be even mouthier group of imbeciles.

Now, they are Kentucky's little brother. A list of teams UK has beat in the last two years only includes UT Martin, Ohio, Louisiana, Vandy, ULM, and south carolina...TWICE!!!!!

Whether it's feuds with rival teams or folks in the media, Steve Spurrier has made a career of running his mouth and often embarrassing himself. His own family has publicly noted his less-than loving ways and was even booed once by his own daughter. Even lifelong friends have gone on record telling how's he's always been a bitter, cold-hearted, sour individual.

The yardbirds are a dismal 1-8 in their last 9 conference games. Years of mocking Tennessee and that whole, "Can't spell Citrus without UT," well that's coming back to haunt him. The Vols have won only 6 of the last 22 conference games. Two of those are W's over uscJr with a third coming this year. For years he's run his mouth and he deserves what he's getting.

His daughter: "Lisa and I had an unwritten rule when we were kids that we weren't going to do anything my dad could coach us in." Amy Spurrier.

When he got fired from the Redskins: "He didn't know what to do," said Jerri Spurrier. She also noted that being his wife is "like hanging on to the back of a train." Scott, his teenaged son said, "It wasn't a fun time, I can tell you that much."

His teenage friend Joe Biddle once said, "He was always a pain in the a-ss."

Former Miami coach Dennis Erickson once said, "Steve's a great coach but he just can't shut up."

As we all know, Steve is no fan of the media if they're being objective and maintaining their journalistic duties. If one says anything negative about him or anything truthful, he'll berate and belittle them while calling for their job. He frequently has asked fans and boosters to ban any writer or paper which prints something he doesn't like. "When Steve first got here he was outgoing, engaging, honest. He'd call me at home and say, 'Do you need some quotes?' He'd have the writers over his house for cookouts." per Robbie Andreu of the Gainesville Sun. But success on the football field changed that and he viewed journalists as his public relations puppets rather than newspaper employees. Prior to the 1995 Auburn-Florida game Andreu wrote an article about the game and noted the coaching edge was Auburn's. Spurrier was so enraged that he called Andreu's boss stating, "I can't believe you let anyone as dumb and stupid as Robbie Andreu cover our games." And it gets worse from here.

Steve also flew off the handle several times at Orlando Sentinel writer Larry Guest calling him a 'sad, little, fat man.' The two were former golfing buddy's but their relationship went sour and Guest opened up about Spurrier. "I got him into this country club he wanted to play at one day. After our playing, we went into the pro shop so Steve could buy a shirt. He held up the shirt to the kid behind the counter and said, 'What's the price?' The kid gave him a price, and Steve said, 'What's the price for the Head Ball Coach?' The kid gave him the same price. Steve was angry now. He said, 'What's the price for the Head Ball Coach of the Gators?' The kid apologized and said he couldn't do anything without his manager's permission. Steve threw the shirt at the kid. I was embarrassed."

So what led to the downfall of Spurrier and Guests relationship you ask? Here's Guests recollection of the events- "I wrote a little throwaway line in my notes column," Guest said. "It was nothing, really, not even much of a criticism of Spurrier. But it so infuriated Spurrier that he sent a letter to Florida's booster club, telling them that they should boycott the Orlando Sentinel until I was fired. When even the boosters ignored Spurrier's wrath, he tried to get me fired at the Sentinel by going to my boss. My boss just laughed at him. So Spurrier wouldn't talk to me. If I asked him a question at a press conference, he'd ignore me and call on another writer, who would ask him the same question. This infuriated Spurrier. So I began to refer to him as Darth Visor, which made him even more angry. All the writers who covered him experienced his wrath at some time. He sent a lot of us profanity-laced letters. We used to share them."

Sorry to disagree with ya Bill but I think he's just a mouthy, withered, has-been coach who is in the process of ruining his reputation; or whats left of it.

Spot on***

Oct 11, 2015, 7:55 PM

he accomplished getting the largest poster of a college

Oct 11, 2015, 7:55 PM [ in reply to I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar ]

football coach ever made

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice post. That's exactly what I was referring to above. +1*

Oct 11, 2015, 8:04 PM [ in reply to I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar ]

Nm

Re: I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar

Oct 11, 2015, 8:27 PM [ in reply to I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar ]

Exactly why I always want him to fail at everything he does. That man deserves every bad thing that comes his way in the college football world.

Re: I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar

Oct 11, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar ]

Anything negative that goes his way is okay by me. I couldn't stand him before he went to Columbia.

Now on to Holtz =)***

Oct 11, 2015, 9:22 PM [ in reply to I still fail to see what major accomplishment he's had @scar ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2015, 8:34 PM

Not me...did not like him as a college player, dispised him as coach of Fla and have really disliked since coming to Carolina. Which is now becoming known for the death place of coaches. Especially those that are so smartyazz. Will be interesting to see who his replacement will be. A lot of the Carolina fans are scared it is going to be his son, then there are those who thought maybe Strong would get fired, and if I was an up and coming coach no way would I go there...hummmm wonder is Will Muschamp would take the job. Auburn is having a horrible year. They may be ready to get rid of him.

Oct 11, 2015, 8:59 PM

Spurrier and most of the chicken fans sold their souls to the devil, and the devil has called in the markers on them. Bless their little hearts.

Personally, I have little sympathy for such an arrogant ### like that guy. He has pissed off and belittled just about everyone he has ever played. He even does it to his own players.

An example: When asked about Perry Orth's play yesterday, his response was "He played pretty well, pretty well for a walk-on". What the #### does that mean? If I was Orth, I'd be pissed at the sob. That was a back-handed compliment IMO. The guys sucks it. PERIOD.

Oct 11, 2015, 9:37 PM

The OBC didn't work to maintain what he built from 2009 thru 2012 and his shortsightedness is biting him in the butt so to speak. His famous offense takes a more than decent QB and he has failed to recruit and keep one of note for several seasons. His own well known comments of "two to three years," have killed recruiting and Spurrier wants to blame enemies from this past off season! The loss of a number of recruits and secondary, but critical back-ups has left no depth. I can actually see USCe losing to Vanderbilt next game and even their fans think Spurrier will be lucky to win four games on the basis of their remaining foes.

Good luck, Stevie. Hope you have some sense left to either resign or retire because you have clearly lost your team and if you stay to long you will lose your reputation as well'

Go Tigers!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic