Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hate to admit but oldschool made me think and do some calculating:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Hate to admit but oldschool made me think and do some calculating:

Apr 11, 2020, 12:00 AM

330M Americans
Roughly 505K positive tests, that’s 0.16% of the population
Roughly 18K deaths, that’s 0.0051%

8.6M New York City
90k positive cases, 1%
7k deaths, 0.08%

Just food for thought. A lot are positive without positive tests. A lot more cases will happen and many more deaths. Each death is terrible but is interesting to see the stats above to put into perspective.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's some maff.

Apr 11, 2020, 12:03 AM

If I had a small bag of skittles, and told you one or two of them was laced with cyanide, would you try one if I offered them to you?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's some maff.

Apr 11, 2020, 12:06 AM

Naw I would just go to the convenience store and buy a new bag. Wait, what?

on average

Apr 11, 2020, 12:10 AM

those are roughly your odds of surviving if you catch the virus. Albeit small, not a risk I am willing to take.

Re: on average

Apr 11, 2020, 12:19 AM

Totally get what you are saying. But odds are based on the current infection rate based on your county. So you I guess you could see how this would be different by geography. Right?

Apr 11, 2020, 12:25 AM

If I lived on Long Island like my 2 daughters do, then my risk of getting the skittles would be much higher. THEN if I do get it, then the mitigation rate is equal to my current health, facilities available, and other factors.

I’m in a high risk group. Open heart surgery 5 years ago, 3 heart attacks and diabetes. So this is no joke for me. But I think if you do get it, like many celebrities have, you are not staying away from others.

Stay safe brother.

Apr 11, 2020, 4:33 AM [ in reply to on average ]

And yet people smoke.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-percentage-of-smokers-get-lung-cancer-2248868

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 11, 2020, 3:12 PM

that is a choice they make and they know the risks. People do not choose to become infected by a potentially deadly virus that can kill them in 10 days, where as smoking takes several decades to accomplish the same.

next..

Apr 12, 2020, 1:04 AM

Were you forcing people to eat your poison Skittles or were you checking to see what people’s risk tolerance is by offering them a choice?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Let me re-work that for you TIgerbalm1

Apr 11, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to on average ]

First of all those odds you mention aren't correct. But if I offered you that same bag of skittles and said you can choose one OR you can lay your entire family off from work, give up your children's education and strap their generation with Trillions of dollars of debt and transfer trillions of dollars of wealth out of this country and require your family stay locked in the house for the rest of their lives would you try one then?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me re-work that for you TIgerbalm1

Apr 11, 2020, 2:04 PM

falcon,

That's a bit over the top, don't you think ??

??

Apr 11, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Let me re-work that for you TIgerbalm1 ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s assuming everybody has the same 1% chance of dying.

Apr 11, 2020, 3:35 AM [ in reply to Here's some maff. ]

A skittle laced with cyanide will kill the healthiest person. Covid will not. A 50 year old with uncontrolled high blood pressure and copd catching the virus has different odds of surviving than a 30 year old with a BMI of 15. In your hypothetical, anyone that eats the tainted skittle will die.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s assuming everybody has the same 1% chance of dying.

Apr 11, 2020, 10:52 AM

there are perfectly healthy 20-somethings winding up on ventilators, and even dying, from this thing.

Apr 11, 2020, 12:17 PM

I keep hearing that. I can say the same thing about influenza every year. In fact, I know a healthy person (albeit not 20 but middle aged) who died from influenza earlier this year. Don't let the media find those few needles in the haystack and use them to scare the hell out of you.

Apr 11, 2020, 10:54 AM [ in reply to That’s assuming everybody has the same 1% chance of dying. ]

actually the number is closer to 3% in this country, and if you are over 40 like I am, the virus does not discriminate. Your odds get worse as you get older. My parents are eighty, my thoughts are with them.

Re: Here's some maff.

Apr 11, 2020, 4:40 AM [ in reply to Here's some maff. ]

I always had a feeling Balm would be the guy my parents warned us about that gave out the “bad” candy at Halloween. Thus the reason they had to check our candy before we ate it. This explains a lot.

I’m one of the ones taking this very seriously.

Apr 11, 2020, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Here's some maff. ]

I’m just reporting data. And I think it would be a lot worse if we weren’t doing what we were doing. But i am just reporting numbers and if you notice very little editorial in the first post because that’s what I wanted, pure data.

Re: I’m one of the ones taking this very seriously.

Apr 11, 2020, 10:35 AM

Roughly 20% of the serious infections die.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do that everyday with other viruses

Apr 11, 2020, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Here's some maff. ]

The risks are a little lower but you still go out.
The risk are much lower in ND than NYC.

Again, all relative

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do that everyday with other viruses

Apr 11, 2020, 9:31 AM

Kind of like the watermelon farmer who had trouble with people stealing his melons. One day he put a sign up saying one of these watermelons has been poisoned. His thought was that this would stop the thief. However, the next day, a new sign has been put up by the thief stating "Now There are Two" !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to admit but oldschool made me think and do some calculating:

Apr 11, 2020, 10:32 AM

When lettuce is contaminated with Ecoli, the whole lot is removed from the stores. Not just a bag or two.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to admit but oldschool made me think and do some calculating:

Apr 11, 2020, 12:16 PM

and said bag removal is an analogy for following the rulez. Let's all do our part and also think about the people that can't go back to work until everyone does their parts and drown out this bad bug.

Sounds 'selfless' ^^

Apr 11, 2020, 2:08 PM

Are you seeing 'selfless' in many of these replies? Or, better yet...'United'?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds 'selfless' ^^

Apr 11, 2020, 2:53 PM

I've see a handful of very inspirational posts where a couple of tnetters put their pride aside and asked for help. i see people in my town in the medians holding signs and doing the same. These are people whose lives were normal just a couple of weeks ago, and along with the least healthy among us, depend on us to all do our part.

Re: Sounds 'selfless' ^^

Apr 12, 2020, 1:54 AM

Stop the spread of bad Skittles.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic